User Reviews for Differin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Differin.

Differin Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 400 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Differin to treat Acne

"I've been using this product (Adapalene 0.1% gel) for 13 months now. I had a lot of small zits on my forehead and a good amount of acne on one of my cheeks. The first week or so is the worst, it dries your skin and is very painful. After a month, you start getting huge cysts and under the skin pimples, especially in the areas where there were little zits before. It's embarrassing, but push through. After about three months, my skin started clearing up. I still use this product daily, and my skin is better than before I started for sure. Around my period I get more acne, but it goes away quickly. This product is not a fun process, but it works decently in the long run. Make sure you invest in a good moisturizer to use daily."

madipetr (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I think people should be aware that there are two products and two percentages. There is a cream and a gel. There are also a 0.1% and 0.3%. The one sold in the store is 0.1%. BenzaClin was leaving me with little bumps on my head (I'm athletic and it started to create fungus on my head) while prescription retinol gel was just making me red and puffy. I tried the 0.1% gel from Walmart. I was aware it would take awhile so I gave it two months to work. My skin looks so much better now. I use Neutrogena anti-wrinkle moisturizing on top of it. I'm guessing if it's like any retinol product you have to build into using higher percentage, at this point I could probably ask my doctor for 0.3% but I figure why mess with a good thing."

alaskalady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My acne was moderate, I went to the doctor and tried birth control to help & the first 3 months on birth control made it 100 times worse, I stuck with it though & then got on a prescription topical which I had an allergic reaction to. I tried so many different face washes, then finally a family friend recommended differin. I found it for $20-25 I think? My skin cleared up in a week. I still have some small under the skin spots around my chin / mouth but easily covered up by make up. No more cystic acne! I recommend everyone to try this. I have before and after pictures that I wish I could attached because the difference is insane."

Hayleygoltare November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this ONE TIME before sleeping. I put on moisturizer about 5 times the next day, and my face still hurt. Today is the second day after using this product, and my face still hurts, is red, and is puffy after applying moisturizer another five times today. I don't think its supposed to hurt this bad, even if there is a purging process. I would not recommend this product."

Em2222 November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is definitely not the same Differin Gel that the doctor prescribed years ago. Don't expect the same results from the over-the-counter Differin Gel. The products are not the same!!!"

KamecoGirl November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For a while I was struggling with the worst most painful acne of my life. I bought a tube of Differin for $15 and within a week inflammation was down and things were looking good. 2 months into it I don't have a single pimple on my face. I only wash my face once every 3 days to help prevent over drying and every night I remove my makeup, use a micellar water, apply a layer of Differin, and then an oil mixture to moisturize. I've found that facial oil rather than a moisturizer increases the effectiveness of Differin, it almost seals it close to the skin at night. Wouldn't recommend Differin to everyone, but it worked wonders for me. Its all about patience and dedication."

Dirgni451 November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this gel (1%) for 7 weeks now. I have had hormonal acne since 12, I am now 29. My doctor had me start with using it twice a week, then 3x a week, etc. Yes, there was a purge and yes, it does seem to be still purging. The fact is that I'm seeing improvement. I will not be stopping this treatment as nothing has worked like this before (you name it, I've tried it). I would say I'm seeing 65% improvement at this point. A huge plus is that I also have notice scars fading, wrinkles softened, and any wounds from picking definitely heal much faster. Lotion morning and night, and cerave foaming cleanser. My skin hasn't been this healthy in a long time."

ChelT November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Follow the instructions and heed the words of the people who have used it before, and I feel like there's no reason Differin won't work for you. I've had problems with adult/hormonal acne for awhile now, and this is the first and only thing that has made a seriously noticeable improvement. My skin did do the "purge" before it got better, but I just gave it some time like the instructions and other users said, and in about 3-4 weeks I noticed serious improvements in my skin. It looks MUCH better than it has in years. If you're not a patient person and will give up when the purge happens, then don't waste your money."

KaraM81 October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using Differin for over 4 months now and at first my skin was okay. It got rid of most pimples but there was never not one time where my face was completely flawless but now my acne is worse than its ever been. I feel like this happens to me with most products. It works at first and then makes my skin horrible. I am going to give Benzoyl Peroxide a try."

userrr1945 October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This gel has been a life saver! I went off birth control last August. My acne was out of control. I tried differin and I noticed a change immediately. I've been on it since August 26th. It's now October 14th and my skin is clear and glowing. I even went off of it for a week to see if there would be a difference and all my acne did come back gradually... so I recommend this to anyone willing to try a new acne cream!! I'm Canadian and I go out of my way to pick it up in the US when I visit. My only complaint is that my skin is a little dry, just moisturize an hour after application to reduce sensitivity."

KARAROSE13 October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried a lot of things for my acne and none of them had worked before differin gel. It's irritating to have acne at 34 years old. I didn't think anything would help. Differin gel was affordable and I could get it at Walmart so I tried it and was pleasantly surprised. This is the first thing that worked for me. You only need a very small amount and you only need to apply it once a day. Any more than that and it will burn your skin. It's a small tube but but it lasts a long time. I would highly recommend it."

MomOf5K34 October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been using this gel for a few days and I can see a major difference. I have very sensitive skin so when I saw the reviews I got a little nervous, so when I tried it I was ready for red skin and rashes, but nothing happened. Within the next few days I saw a major improvement, which shocked me! I've used a lot of acne treatments and none of them worked, but within the first couple of days I could see my pimples going away! I don't think this is supposed to help with blackheads or whiteheads, but this is still totally worth it! And who knows maybe if I keep using it, it will help with them. I highly recommend this product to anyone with acne problems!"

Sabby C October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Excellent product. Cleared my acne in 1 week. You have to follow the instructions to avoid skin irritation and limit Sun exposure."

LeeGood1 August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I needed to share an honest review. I got differin to get rid of these stubborn invisible pimples around my chin. Basically they're clogged pores. They appeared even though I wash my face daily and nightly and exfoliate regularly with expensive products. Then I found differin. I've been on it about 3 weeks now. Although I have gotten breakouts all over, my forehead is it's clearest it's been. The pores on my cheeks are getting smaller and clearer. My nose has practically no problem areas anymore. The invisible pimples/clogged pores are subsiding dramatically. I am getting breakouts in those areas but my face looks radiant anyway."

Cheetos August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began to have breakouts after the mastectomies...had to take hormonal pills. I tried so many things, went to dermotologist and tried stuff. What really worked was a skin regimen and taking a low does antibiotic (doxycycline) Then my daughter told me about Differin. I have been on this for almost 3 months. There has been some good clearing up, dry patches where the blemishes were. My face is very oily and so this didn't bother me. I never moisturize because of the oil..all of them make my skin break out even more. Expect to have some breakouts as you get used to this. I am almost down to the wire, things are clearing up slowly but surely. Medicare doesn't not cover lots of meds like this so OTC"

wirewizard (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Love this stuff!! I have been using it for a month and my skin is less oily and definitely starting to look clear. I am still in the purging phase. Keep sticking it out though. I still get breakouts during that time of the month, but they are not too bad. I occasionally get cycstic acne, I believe I only get them when I accidentally have gluten. Differin helps the breakouts for sure!"

Aq25 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this acne gel before. First time by itself. It irritated my skin. My skin was red, dry and patchy. I stopped, thinking maybe this was like a reaction. To later find out, it takes a little while to get used to. But as for the second time, I used the whole range. The cleanser, the gel, and the moisturizer. Then I started to see the difference everyone has been raving about. It has been only 3 weeks, but my skin is softer and less patchier. My forehead acne has completely gone away. But my chin cystic acne is apparent. But it had definitely gotten smaller. However, this product made me break out like never before. Basically my whole face, became a white head central. But it is working. My acne marks, scars, acne are less apparent."

SorryNotSorry August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tell ya. The differin gel I was prescribed at the dermatologist, worked great. But the differin gel that is now available in stores, like walmart. HORRIBLE. Not the same at all. Different color as well. 12 dollars down the drain."

Chuly (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I've only been using this face med for a few days and my skin burns and is super dry!!! I put it on at night go to bed and wash my face in the am and apply makeup but I can't wear makeup because as soon as I apply it my face burns very bad. What do I do? Had Anyone experienced this"

Anonymous July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had really bad dark marks from acne scarring . My dermatologist perscribed me this and not only did it clear up my acne it cleared up my dark marks as well. My face is so clear and I can actually leave the house without make up and feel confident. :)"

Ambr'e July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had to stop using this product very early on because it ruined my skin. It made my skin unbelievably dry, and made me breakout on my forehead worse than it had in 5 years. I also developed red blotches all over my face. Don't buy this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Patience, patience, patience! I have been using this product for 14 weeks. The first two months were awful. Had tiny little white heads ALL over my face. Add my cystic acne into the mix, and you can imagine how upset I was. I honestly felt like stopping this product, but decided that I'd tried it for 2 months and wanted my skin to get used to a routine. I AM SO GLAD I WAITED IT OUT! I currently only have one, YES ONE active pimple on my jawline. I have suffered from acne since I was 22. I'll be 27 in a few months so this is honestly a miracle for me. Don't give up, guys. It took me 14 weeks to finally see clear, beautiful skin again!"

Natashaishereeeeeee July 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using OTC Differin gel for a month or so and so far so good. I had been dealing with weird small white heads that were repeatedly erupting around my nose and upper cheeks which were leaving small holes :/ I could've sworn I had an overgrowth of the common demodex mite, that we all have, but since I take an immunosuppressant for my RA, it was getting out of control. I began putting a drop or two of tea tree oil in my cleanser ( Biore blemish fighting ice cleanser) and a pea sized amount of the Differin gel every night and I've noticed a huge difference. I barely get those whiteheads and it appears the holes are less noticeable. I also change my pillow case every other night but will continue with this regimen!"

Ellenajs (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had my derma check up for my moderate acne on cheek and chin and she prescribed me this (Adapalene) Differin Gel 0.3. For the first week I saw a little improvement on my cheek as the tiny pimples somehow disappear. By the way I have some cystic acne on cheek and chin. For the following weeks as I saw the improvement, suddenly came the breakouts on my 4th month. Hoping this is the breakout I've read before the clearing process of the medication. Is anybody here that had the same situation before?"

Jhoanna23A June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This gel is amazing, if you didn't stick it out for a full 8 weeks with this, then you are missing out. This gel has a purge faze that lasted about 6 weeks for me with extremely dry flaky skin, then very oily breakouts worse that what I was trying to cure, but I bought the moisturizer which is a must and stuck it out. I put this on at night after the moisturizer, and wash it off in my morning shower. Do not leave this on your face and go out in the sun, it says so on the packaging and could cause chemical like burns. I absolutely love this product!"

Kendall15 June 25, 2017