User Reviews for Differin to treat Acne

Differin has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 293 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 54% of those users who reviewed Differin reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Differin Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 326 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Differin

beethoven96 March 27, 2017

“I used to have severely clogged pores as well as scarring from cysts but once I was prescribed this cream, it CLEARED EVERYTHING. When I first started using it, I found that it caused my skin to have extremely dry patches and they would flake up. It wasn't the worse thing in the world, but I would avoid talking to people close up. If you honestly want it to work, you need PATIENCE!!! The first 2 months, you'll notice just a lot of flaking of skin but after the 3rd month, my skin was clear and I had naturally clear complexion. I honestly never had such great confidence in my skin. I was able to stop wearing such heavy makeup foundation to cover up scars and moved onto bb creams or even nothing at all!! THE KEY IS PATIENCE!!!!!”

Amy, 22 · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2018

“100% clear one day after using it, nothing has ever worked this good and I’ve tried EVERYTHING, organic, diy, face masks, healing Aztec clay, rose hip oil, tee tree oil, proactive and acne free, this is by far the best.”

NBP November 2, 2018

“I am almost 32. Don't have acne but I get occasional breakouts. Proactive was the ONLY treatment that worked to clear and even out my skin but it's so expensive, I'm always running out of the toner before I'm finished with the 3 steps, and it's not readily available in all stores. Tried antibacterial washes, benzoyl peroxide products, acne kits...still had the occasional pimple. Tried baking soda and apple cider vinegar which is what led me to differin. ACV purges your pores so my entire face was covered in tiny pimples under my skin. After the first day of using Differin I saw results ,it had only been one day but I could tell the breakout from the ACV wasn't worsening. Day 4 I have no pimples but I noticed my face by the sides of my mouth was dry and red. Day 6 the peeling. Almost like using retin A but not even close to severe dryness. Says side effects should subside but in all honesty this product is not complicated to use, results are fast.”

Anonymous October 17, 2015

“I've used this product for 12 weeks now my comedone acne completely cleared after 8 weeks of use. Broke out a lot in the first 8 weeks but once I reached 8 weeks and onwards my skin has drastically changed. Would definitely recommend this for comedone acne and do try and persevere as it take at least 8 weeks to work.”

Pinkapplelace December 15, 2017

“STICK TO IT!!!! I did and my skin looks amazing. At first I saw more acne, especially white heads. I also got really dry skin but I moisturized all the time and it relieved it. You can also get burning irritating skin but don't give up. Eventually you seen your skin clear, even toned and tighter. I also noticed some of my fine lines gone. I know you might want to give up but DON'T. I'm 50 years old and I never had pimples until the past two years. Nothing worked. I went to the dermatologist, got prescription meds but the only thing that worked was this product.”

Britt · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2018

“I've dealt with acne since my early teens. Tried many prescriptions and OTC remedies to no avail. Now that I am in my 30s and taking skin care much more seriously I decided to try Differin again since it's available OTC along with the face wash. I use the face wash every morning and night and the gel every night. I got the normal side effects in the beginning dryness and some peeling and redness but I didn't let that deter me. Now I am going into week 7 and am beginning to see the difference. I still get little breakouts but it's nowhere near as bad as before. Persistence with this medication is key. Give it time to work. I can tell that my skin tone is becoming much more even. My old scars are starting to fade. For the first time since my early teens I am confident in my skin.”

Sam f · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“Been using for months works so well to get rid of acne!! Love!!”

MomOf5K34 October 10, 2017

“I tried a lot of things for my acne and none of them had worked before differin gel. It's irritating to have acne at 34 years old. I didn't think anything would help. Differin gel was affordable and I could get it at Walmart so I tried it and was pleasantly surprised. This is the first thing that worked for me. You only need a very small amount and you only need to apply it once a day. Any more than that and it will burn your skin. It's a small tube but but it lasts a long time. I would highly recommend it.”

JoePot March 25, 2017

“At the three month mark using the over the counter. I posted previously. I started out using once every three days and then went to every two days to make sure no issues, and eventually each day. Skin got very dry at first. I apply each evening about two hours before going to bed. In the AM I apply Benzoyl Peroxide and then Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with Sunscreen SPF 35. Wash and dry and re-apply as needed throughout the day. At the 9 or 10 week period had a serious outbreak after a calm period, but it cleared up. What works for me... When applying Differin use an ample amount and massage into areas where you need it most. My sun glasses were irritating my nose where the pads sit. Turned out I was not making sure moisturizer was being applied in that region of the nose. Same for around the eyes.”

Barbie Doll · Taken for 10 years or more September 12, 2019

“Differin really works for acne, you just have to keep using it. I remember when I was in my late teens I started breaking out more than when I was younger. I went to a Dermatologist. At that time it was only available for prescription only. I remember her telling me to wash my face, and gently pat dry. Make sure your face is very dry before applying a small, thin amount on your face. She also told me that I would start breaking out even more after a couple of weeks after I begin using it. It gets deep in your skin and pushes all the oil to the surface. Your skin may get a little red and itchy. You will also start to see a little flaking on your skin. Don't give up. Keep using it. Eventually it will clear up acne. When I started breaking out more, I would apply my makeup to cover it up. I like to put it on at night time after I wash my face. Give it a try!”

Cris · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 14, 2019

“YOU HAVE TO STICK WITH IT FOR AT LEAST 4 MONTHS AND YOUR SKIN WILL GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER. But Differin is very worth it! I see all of these bad reviews where people give a bad review and wonder if they used the product right and read how it works. It works by pushing everything in your pores out and strip your skin making your face worse for a while, but then it will clear right up. You may peel until your skin gets used to it (only took me a week) Stick with it! Not only does it get rid of the acne, I makes all of your skin better. My dark spots and redness in general gone away. My face is so much healthier. Don't leave reviews until you have given it at least 4 months, that's very important. It WILL take a while to clear up. That's how it works. I've been dealing with acne for 20 years and absolutely nothing else worked. This is the first thing that has ever worked.”

Renee 1872 · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2017

“When I say nothing, I mean absolutely nothing helped my face to prevent breakouts and the scarring left behind until now. My mom bought this for me and with thin three days, yes three days, my face looked so good! It was only $15 too, Iv'e been to two dermatologists and whatever they prescribed me made my skin worst. Anything over the counter also made my skin worst over the years. Definitely worth a try and also no burning or irritation for me!”

.....;/:33):2);3)(:!!?!$6 July 13, 2016

“great product no acne or wrinkles”

Brend January 14, 2015

“I started having acne problems after a series of surgeries. I tried many different things to get rid of my acne but nothing worked until I tried Differin. I've been using it for 2 years already and since then been acne free, I still use it at night on occasional acne breakouts and all disappear the next morning. Awesome acne medication !”

Ambr'e July 17, 2017

“I had really bad dark marks from acne scarring . My dermatologist perscribed me this and not only did it clear up my acne it cleared up my dark marks as well. My face is so clear and I can actually leave the house without make up and feel confident. :)”

Life changer!! · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 9, 2013

“I am a 29 year old female who has suffered from severe acne vulgaris all my life and was recently diagnosed. I used everything known to man and when I finally saw a dermatologist he prescribed me this as well as a face wash. The first two weeks I had experienced redness, peeling, pain, hot to touch skin (I used cocoa butter to soothe it) just as the doctor said I would but later into the 3rd and 4th week and even now my skin is extremely clear and almost flawless. The difference expedited the shedding of my skin and caused the old dead scarred skin to peel off revealing new soft youthful and un-scarred skin. My skin is very beautiful now and I will continue to use this medicine until my acne subsides. Great product.”

JoePot February 7, 2017

“Its been over a month using the over the counter. I posted previously. I had started out using once every three days and then went to every two days to make sure no issues. Skin got very dry at first. Apply each evening about two hours before going to bed. In the AM I apply Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with Sunscreen SPF 35 and re-apply as needed. Had several blackheads mature during the month. Some were under the skin surface. All gone. A few whiteheads. Skin has calmed down considerable. Skin seems healthier. No longer use Benzoyl Peroxide.”

Anonymous December 30, 2008

“I don't have that severe of acne, but I do have regular pimples, including the cyst-like kind that hurt. I get them on my face, back, and chest. Differin worked wonders on my skin with very little irritation. I recommend it for sure!”

Catlover15 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2015

“I've had bad skin since 4th grade, I never did anything about it I would just wear makeup and coverup, last year in grade 9 I went on the pill for my skin, it completely cleared the acne on my back and chest but my face was still bad. I eventually got put on differin gel, and within the first week my skin was clear for the first time! But I began getting a red rash on my face and my skin was peeling and very sensitive to anything else I put on there, even my makeup. I've now been using it for about 4 months, to anyone who is looking to go on differin gel I highly recommend it, but do not judge your skin within the first few weeks because your skin will be getting used to it. I now have completely clear skin and am very happy.”

S · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2018

“Pleasantly surprised by how well this worked! I had been experiencing serious congestion and clogged pores mainly around the mouth and jaw, so I initially went the route of trying to fix my hormones. I switched birth control and went on Spironolactone which helped but my pores were still continually getting clogged. This stuff really returned my skin and pores to their normal state. I still get issues here and there but I can genuinely say this made the biggest difference in my skin.”

Al · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2018

“I had been suffering from acne for about 6 years. I didn’t have severe acne but I had it pretty bad. I tired a series of regimes, products and prescription medications. Things would work temporarily along with monthly facials and peels. Nothing cleared it fully! I’ve now been using Differin for about 3 months and my face has never looked clearer. I receive a lot of compliments on my face now. Even the acne scares that have are lighter or gone. This medication is the real deal!”

Yayclearskin October 19, 2019

“I was prescribed Differin by my dermatologist in March 2019 and it has been the best decision I’ve made for my skin. I complained to her about my acne and how I had hyper pigmentation from it. When I started using Differin my skin was pretty sensitive for a week, it felt like I had a burn on my face but it was bearable. I wouldn’t say my skin purged like crazy because as I was getting more breakouts the acne got smaller right after. Mind you, my skin is usually oily and not sensitive. After about two months my skin was dramatically clearer. The red marks on my skin have also gotten lighter, but still haven’t gone away completely. I love waking up with clear and smooth skin because I wouldn’t have thought this was possible 7 months ago.”

Roooo June 28, 2016

“I've had acne problems since the 4th grade and have since tried tretinoin, benzaclin and dalacin T which did not help me very much. I gave up prescriptions for the last 5 years using OTC benzoyl peroxide when I suddenly had the WORST breakout of my life (I think from stress) with cystic acne. Family doctor gave me Differin XP gel. I've been using it for 1 month and my acne has dramatically cleared up. I did not purge at all (maybe got 3-5 small pimples) and I peeled once while swimming outside. I was also prescribed 333mg erythromycin tab by a dermatologist but did not take it yet as it seems differin has already cleared me up. I did skip a few days and used 4 dot sized amounts instead of the recommended "pea-size."”

tiff03 September 27, 2011

“The first topical treatment I used was Duac and I didn't see a change in my skin. I switched to Retin-A and I peeled so bad I couldn't use it at all. My doctor switched me to the generic adapalene gel 0.1% and I've been using it for a few months now. It works amazing. I can use it every night and I've never peeled and I was even able to stop my antibiotic. I LOVE it!”

Tiina46325 April 3, 2017

“I have been using this gel for about 2 weeks now and have had nothing but positive results. I'm not exaggerating when I say this starting working on my skin immediately. I have been going through bad cystic acne breakouts and hormonal acne for the past two years now. Since I started using the differin, my breakouts are minimal with only one or two pimples but nothing like before. I was breaking out with 3-5 new pimples daily and the differin stopped that from happening immediately. I have extremely oily skin so the differin did not dry out my skin. I have also changed my face cleansing products and also changed my foundation at the same time. I would highly recommend this product for anyone who is at their wits end with adult acne.”

Learn more about Acne