Skip to Content

Magnetic Resonance Imaging

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a test that uses magnetic fields and radio waves to take pictures inside of your body. An MRI is used to see blood vessels, tissue, muscles, and bones. It can also show organs, such as your heart, lungs, or liver. An MRI can help your healthcare provider diagnose or treat a medical condition. It does not use radiation.


DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS:

Drink liquids as directed:

Liquids will help flush the contrast dye out of your body. Ask how much liquid to drink after your MRI, and which liquids to drink.

Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:

Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.

Contact your healthcare provider if:

  • You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.

Seek care immediately or call 911 if:

You have any signs of an allergic reaction to the contrast dye, such as:

  • Trouble breathing
  • Dizziness or fainting
  • Swelling of your mouth or face
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Sudden decrease in urination
  • A rash, itching, or swollen skin

Further information

Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.

Hide