Generic Name: Ondansetron Oral Soluble Film (on DAN se tron)
Brand Name: Zuplenz
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 3, 2020.
Uses of Zuplenz:
- It is used to treat or prevent upset stomach and throwing up.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Zuplenz?
- If you have an allergy to ondansetron or any other part of Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film).
- If you are allergic to Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film); any part of Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a long QT on ECG.
- If you are taking apomorphine.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Zuplenz?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Zuplenz) best taken?
Use Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Open right before use.
- Be sure your hands are dry before you touch Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film).
- Put film on tongue and let it dissolve. Water is not needed. If using more than 1 film, let each film dissolve all the way before using the next film.
- Do not chew Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film).
- Do not swallow it whole.
- Wash your hands after use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Stomach pain.
- Trouble passing urine.
- A type of abnormal heartbeat (prolonged QT interval) has happened with Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film). Sometimes, this has led to another type of unsafe abnormal heartbeat (torsades de pointes). Call your doctor right away if you have a fast or abnormal heartbeat, or if you pass out.
- A severe and sometimes deadly problem called serotonin syndrome may happen. The risk may be greater if you also take certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; severe diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or very bad headache.
What are some other side effects of Zuplenz?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Zuplenz?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from light.
- Store in original container.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Zuplenz (ondansetron oral soluble film), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
More about Zuplenz (ondansetron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: 5HT3 receptor antagonists
- FDA Alerts (5)
- FDA Approval History