Generic Name: torsemide (TORE-se-mide)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Torsemide solution is used for:
Treatment of edema (swelling) associated with heart, kidney, or liver failure, or conditions in which there is excess body water. The injection is used when a rapid decrease of swelling is desired or when a tablet cannot be taken. It is also used alone or with other medicines to treat high blood pressure. It may also be used to treat certain conditions as determined by your doctor.
Torsemide solution is a loop diuretic. It works by making the kidneys eliminate larger amounts of electrolytes (especially sodium and potassium salts) and water than normal (diuretic effect).
Do NOT use torsemide solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in torsemide solution or to a sulfonylurea (eg, glyburide)
- you are unable to urinate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using torsemide solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with torsemide solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have fluid in your abdomen, hearing impairment, diabetes mellitus, low urine output, high blood uric acid levels, a blood disorder, kidney disease, lupus, liver disease, or heart failure
- if you have had a heart attack
- if you are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with torsemide solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aminoglycosides (eg, gentamicin) or cisplatin because the risk of temporary or permanent hearing loss may be increased
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, indomethacin) or probenecid because they may decrease torsemide solution's effectiveness
- Chloral hydrate, digitalis (eg, digoxin), lithium, or suramin because the risk of their side effects may be increased by torsemide solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if torsemide solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use torsemide solution:
Use torsemide solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Torsemide solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Do not use torsemide solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Torsemide solution should be given intravenously slowly over a period of at least 2 minutes or as a continuous infusion.
- Torsemide solution may increase the amount of urine or cause you to urinate more often when you first start taking it. To keep this from disturbing your sleep, try to take your dose before 6 pm.
- Avoid eating licorice or Korean ginseng while taking torsemide solution.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of torsemide solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use torsemide solution.
Important safety information:
- Torsemide solution may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use torsemide solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Torsemide solution may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take torsemide solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Torsemide solution may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to torsemide solution. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Your doctor may have also prescribed a potassium supplement for you. If so, follow the dosing carefully. Do not start taking additional potassium on your own or change your diet to include more potassium without first checking with your doctor.
- Torsemide solution is a strong "water pill" (diuretic). Using too much of torsemide solution can lead to serious water and mineral loss. Therefore, it is important that you be monitored by your doctor. Promptly notify your doctor if you become very thirsty, have a dry mouth, become confused, or develop muscle cramps/weakness.
- Diabetes patients - Torsemide solution may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Weight should be monitored while taking this medication.
- Lab tests, including kidney function, electrolyte levels, and blood pressure, may be performed while you use torsemide solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Torsemide solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using torsemide solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use torsemide solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of torsemide solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dizziness or lightheadedness when sitting up or standing; excessive urination; headache; increased cough; nasal inflammation; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; diarrhea; dry mouth or unusual thirst; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hearing loss or ringing in the ears; loss of appetite; muscle pain or cramps; rapid or irregular heartbeat; rectal bleeding; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; restlessness; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; dizziness; dizziness or lightheadedness when sitting up or standing; dry mouth; excessive urination followed by a decrease in amount of urine, muscle cramps, weakness, and/or rapid or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of torsemide solution:
Store torsemide solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep torsemide solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about torsemide solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Torsemide solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take torsemide solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about torsemide solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to torsemide solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using torsemide solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about torsemide
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: loop diuretics
Other brands: Demadex