Torsemide use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Torsemide: Demadex, Demadex IV
Torsemide Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because no information is available on the use of torsemide during breastfeeding and because intense diuresis might decrease lactation, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information on torsemide was not found as of the revision date. Intense diuresis, fluid restriction and breast binding have been used to suppress lactation immediately postpartum. The added contribution of the diuretic to the other measures, which are effective in suppressing lactation, has not been studied. No data exist on the effects of loop diuretics on established, ongoing lactation.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Healy M. Suppressing lactation with oral diuretics. Lancet. 1961;1:1353-4.
2. Stout G. Suppression of lactation. Br Med J. 1962;1:1150. Letter. PMC: PMC1958377
3. Cominos DC, Van Der Walt A, Van Rooyen AJ. Suppression of postpartum lactation with furosemide. S Afr Med J. 1976;50:251-2. PMID: 3858
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about torsemide
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 4 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: loop diuretics
- Torsemide Tablets
- Torsemide Injection Solution
- Torsemide (Advanced Reading)
- Torsemide Intravenous (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Demadex