Generic Name: Dimethyl Fumarate (dye meth il FYOO ma rate)
Brand Name: Tecfidera
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 21, 2020.
Uses of Tecfidera:
- It is used to treat MS (multiple sclerosis).
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Tecfidera?
- If you are allergic to Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate); any part of Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Tecfidera?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Herpes zoster (shingles) and other severe infections have happened with Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate). Sometimes, these infections have affected the brain, nerves, and other areas of the body. Talk with your doctor about what signs to watch for.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Tecfidera) best taken?
Use Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, open, or crush.
- This medicine may cause flushing. Taking Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) with food or taking aspirin 30 minutes before Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) may lower how often flushing happens. Aspirin may also lower how bad flushing is when it happens. Talk with your doctor to see if you can take aspirin while you are taking Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A very bad brain problem called progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) has happened with Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate). It may cause disability or can be deadly. Tell your doctor right away if you have signs like confusion, memory problems, low mood (depression), change in the way you act, change in strength on 1 side is greater than the other, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, or change in eyesight.
- Low white blood cell counts have rarely happened with Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate). This may lead to a higher chance of getting an infection. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a low white blood cell count. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat.
- Liver problems have happened. Call your doctor right away if you get signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Tecfidera?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Stomach pain or diarrhea.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Tecfidera?
- Store at room temperature protected from light. Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Store in original container.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Is Tecfidera an immunosuppressant?
- Gilenya vs Tecfidera. How do they compare?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Tecfidera?
- How long does it take Tecfidera to start working?
- Does Tecfidera cause weight gain or loss?
- How long can you take Tecfidera?
- Can I stop taking Tecfidera? What happens if I do?
- What causes flushing with Tecfidera?
- Can Tecfidera cause low lymphocytes?
- Can Tecfidera cause stomach damage?
- Can Tecfidera cause progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML)?
More about Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 81 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: selective immunosuppressants
- FDA Alerts (1)
- FDA Approval History