Stridex Body Focus
Generic name: Salicylic Acid Cream, Gel, Liquid, and Lotion (Acne) [ sal-i-SIL-ik-AS-id ]
Brand names: Fostex, Stridex Body Focus
Drug classes: Topical acne agents, Topical keratolytics
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 24, 2023.
Uses of Stridex Body Focus:
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Stridex Body Focus?
- If you have an allergy to salicylic acid or any other part of this medicine (Stridex Body Focus).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Stridex Body Focus); any part of this medicine (Stridex Body Focus); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Stridex Body Focus).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Stridex Body Focus?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Stridex Body Focus). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause very bad and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or very bad irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. Use this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) as you were told by the doctor or read the package label. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not put on open wounds, cuts, or irritated skin.
- Use care when using on a large part of the skin. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) on birthmarks, moles, or warts with hair growth; or cervical, genital, or oral warts.
- If you use this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) too often, your skin problem may become worse.
- Use of other skin products while using this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) may cause more irritation.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab workers know you use this medicine (Stridex Body Focus).
- Some of these drugs may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Do not give to children and teenagers who have or are getting better from flu signs, chickenpox, or other viral infections due to the chance of Reye's syndrome. Reye's syndrome causes very bad problems to the brain and liver.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Different brands of this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) to a child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) best taken?
Use this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- If this medicine (Stridex Body Focus) gets in the eyes, rinse with cool water.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Do not breathe in the vapors.
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Some of these drugs need to be shaken before use. Be sure you know if this product needs to be shaken before using it.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Mood changes.
- Fast breathing.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Ringing in the ears, hearing loss, or any other changes in hearing.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
What are some other side effects of Stridex Body Focus?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
- Dry skin.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Stridex Body Focus?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Stridex Body Focus), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Stridex Body Focus (salicylic acid topical)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- Drug class: topical acne agents
Compound W, Wart Remover, Dermarest Psoriasis Skin Treatment, CeraVe SA Renewing, ... +41 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.