Neutrogena Healthy Scalp
Generic Name: Salicylic Acid Shampoo (sal i SIL ik AS id)
Brand Name: Ionil Plus, Neutrogena Healthy Scalp
Medically reviewed on Feb 13, 2019
Uses of Neutrogena Healthy Scalp:
- It is used to treat psoriasis.
- It is used to control seborrheic dermatitis.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Neutrogena Healthy Scalp?
- If you have an allergy to salicylic acid or any other part of Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Neutrogena Healthy Scalp?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause very bad and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or very bad irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. Use Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) as you were told by the doctor or read the package label. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not put on open wounds, cuts, or irritated skin.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) on birthmarks, moles, or warts with hair growth; or cervical, genital, or oral warts.
- If you use Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) too often, your skin problem may become worse.
- Use of other skin products while using Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) may cause more irritation.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Some of these drugs may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Do not give to children and teenagers who have or are getting better from flu signs, chickenpox, or other viral infections due to the chance of Reye's syndrome. Reye's syndrome causes very bad problems to the brain and liver.
- Different brands of Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) to a child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Neutrogena Healthy Scalp) best taken?
Use Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- If Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo) gets in the eyes, rinse with cool water.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Do not breathe in the vapors.
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- To use as a shampoo, wet hair and scalp. Lather well and leave on as you have been told. Rinse fully.
- Repeat treatment as you have been told by the doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Mood changes.
- Fast breathing.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Ringing in ears.
- Hearing loss.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Neutrogena Healthy Scalp?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
- Dry skin.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Neutrogena Healthy Scalp?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid shampoo), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Neutrogena Healthy Scalp (salicylic acid topical)
- Neutrogena Healthy Scalp Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: topical acne agents
- FDA Alerts (1)