Simethicone liquid dropsPronunciation
Generic Name: simethicone (sih-METH-ih-cone)
Brand Name: Gas-X Infant Drops
Simethicone liquid drops are used for:
Relieving pressure, bloating, and gas in the digestive tract. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Simethicone liquid drops are an antiflatulent. It works by breaking up gas bubbles, which makes gas easier to eliminate.
Do NOT use simethicone liquid drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in simethicone liquid drops
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using simethicone liquid drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with simethicone liquid drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with simethicone liquid drops. However, no specific interactions with simethicone liquid drops are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if simethicone liquid drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use simethicone liquid drops:
Use simethicone liquid drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take simethicone liquid drops as needed after meals and at bedtime, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Fill the enclosed dropper to the recommended dose level and dispense liquid slowly into the infant's mouth, toward the inner cheek.
- The dose may be mixed with 1 ounce cool water, infant formula, or juice. Do not add simethicone liquid drops to hot liquid.
- Clean dropper after each use and replace original cap.
- If you miss a dose of simethicone liquid drops and you are using it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use simethicone liquid drops.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- If your condition persists, contact your health care provider.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking simethicone liquid drops, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using simethicone liquid drops during pregnancy. It is unknown if simethicone liquid drops are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking simethicone liquid drops, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of simethicone liquid drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of simethicone liquid drops:
Store simethicone liquid drops at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep simethicone liquid drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about simethicone liquid drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Simethicone liquid drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take simethicone liquid drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about simethicone liquid drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to simethicone liquid drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using simethicone liquid drops.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about simethicone
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 9 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous GI agents
- Simethicone chewable tablets
- Simethicone liquid
- Simethicone strips
- Simethicone suspension
- Simethicone (Advanced Reading)