Generic name: Prenatal Vitamin Chewable Caplet [ pre-NAY-tal-VYE-ta-min ]
Brand names: Choice-OB+DHA, Select-OB+DHA
Drug classes: Iron products, Vitamin and mineral combinations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 9, 2023.
- Accidental overdose of drugs that have iron in them is a leading cause of deadly poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep away from children. If Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet) is taken by accident, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
Uses of Select-OB+DHA:
- This vitamin is used to aid the diet needs before, during, and after pregnancy.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Select-OB+DHA?
- If you are allergic to Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet); any part of Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have too much iron in your body.
- If you are taking mineral oil.
- If you are taking acitretin.
Products with omega-3 fatty acids:
- If you are taking a blood thinner.
- If you have bleeding problems.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Select-OB+DHA?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet).
- If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), talk with your doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Select-OB+DHA) best taken?
Use Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to take Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet) as you have been told by your doctor. Do not use more than you were told to use.
- Some drugs may need to be taken with food or on an empty stomach. For some drugs it does not matter. Check with your pharmacist about how to take Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet).
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Do not take antacids within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet).
- Do not take dairy products with Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet). Dairy products may make Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet) not work as well.
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- This medicine may be chewed or swallowed whole.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Stomach cramps.
What are some other side effects of Select-OB+DHA?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Change in color of stool to green.
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Select-OB+DHA?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat and light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Select-OB+DHA (prenatal vitamin chewable caplet), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Select-OB+DHA (multivitamin, prenatal)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- Drug class: iron products
Prenatal Multivitamins, Prenatal 19, Vitafol Ultra, Prenatabs FA, ... +28 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.