Generic name: Multivitamins, Folic Acid, and Iron Liquid (muhl tee VYE ta mins, FOE lik AS id, & EYE urn)
Brand name: Geritol Tonic, S.S.S. Tonic, Strovite Forte, Vitafol, Vitalize
Drug class: Vitamin and mineral combinations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 15, 2020.
- Accidental overdose of drugs that have iron in them is a leading cause of deadly poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep away from children. If S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid) is taken by accident, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
Uses of S.S.S. Tonic:
- It is used to treat or prevent low iron in the body.
- It is used to help growth and good health.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take S.S.S. Tonic?
- If you are allergic to S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid); any part of S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have too much iron in your body.
- If you have certain types of anemia like pernicious anemia or hemolytic anemia.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take S.S.S. Tonic?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid).
- If you are allergic to tartrazine, talk with your doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (S.S.S. Tonic) best taken?
Use S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- This medicine works better if you take it on an empty stomach. You may take S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid) with food if it causes an upset stomach. Some foods like eggs, whole grain breads, cereal, dairy products, coffee, and tea may make S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid) not work as well. If S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid) causes an upset stomach, talk with your doctor about the best way to take S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid) with food.
- This medicine prevents many other drugs from getting into the body. If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid).
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Stomach cramps.
What are some other side effects of S.S.S. Tonic?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Change in color of stool to green.
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out S.S.S. Tonic?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about S.S.S. Tonic (multivitamins, folic acid, and iron liquid), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about multivitamin with minerals
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 88 Reviews
- Drug class: vitamin and mineral combinations
- Drug Information
- Calcium Carbonate/Vit D/Vit B6/Vit B12/Folic Acid with Minerals Chew Wafers
- Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D
- Magnesium Carbonate, Calcium Carbonate, and Folic Acid
- Medical Food Product
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.