Generic Name: Rivastigmine Oral Solution (RIV a STIG meen)
Brand Name: Exelon
Uses of Rivastigmine Oral Solution:
- It is used to treat dementia.
- It is used to treat Alzheimer's disease.
- It is used to treat Parkinson's disease.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Rivastigmine Oral Solution?
- If you have an allergy to rivastigmine or any other part of rivastigmine oral solution.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have had a skin reaction to this medicine or another form of rivastigmine oral solution in the past.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Acebutolol, atenolol, betaxolol, bisoprolol, carvedilol, esmolol, labetalol, metoclopramide, metoprolol, nadolol, nebivolol, penbutolol, pindolol, propranolol, sotalol, or timolol.
- If you are taking another drug that has the same drug in it.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take rivastigmine oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Rivastigmine Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how rivastigmine oral solution affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- It is common to have diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea, throwing up, or weight loss with this medicine. Long-term diarrhea or throwing up may lead to dehydration. Call your doctor if any of these side effects are very bad, bother you, or do not go away. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of dehydration like dry skin, mouth, or eyes; thirst; fast heartbeat; dizziness; fast breathing; or confusion.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using rivastigmine oral solution while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Rivastigmine Oral Solution) best taken?
Use this medicine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking rivastigmine oral solution as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take at breakfast and dinner.
- Take this medicine at the same time of day.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with rivastigmine oral solution.
- Take alone or mix with water, juice, or soda before drinking.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it, with a meal.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss taking this medicine for a few days in a row, call your doctor before you start taking it again.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a urinary tract infection (UTI) like blood in the urine, burning or pain when passing urine, feeling the need to pass urine often or right away, fever, lower stomach pain, or pelvic pain.
- Trouble controlling body movements, twitching, change in balance, trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Shakiness, trouble moving around, or stiffness.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling confused.
- Low mood (depression).
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Rivastigmine Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not able to sleep.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Rivastigmine Oral Solution?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about rivastigmine oral solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about rivastigmine oral solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using rivastigmine oral solution.
Review Date: December 6, 2017
More about rivastigmine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 19 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: cholinesterase inhibitors
- Rivastigmine transdermal
- Rivastigmine Capsules
- Rivastigmine Patch
- Rivastigmine (Advanced Reading)
- Rivastigmine Transdermal (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Exelon