The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: prenatal multivitamin without vitamin a with minerals, iron, folic acid, and docusate sodium (pree-NATE-al MUL-tye-VYE-ta-mins/VYE-ta-min A/MIN-er-als/EYE-urn/FOE-lik AS-id/DOK-ue-sate SOE-dee-um/oh-MAY-ga 3 FA-tee AS-ids)
Brand Name: Examples include PrimaCare Advantage and UltimateCare Combo
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call your local poison control center or your doctor at once.
PrimaCare Advantage is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
PrimaCare Advantage is a vitamin, mineral, iron, folic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, and stool softener combination. It works by providing vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements. The stool softener helps prevent constipation that may occur with iron products.
Do NOT use PrimaCare Advantage if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in PrimaCare Advantage, including fish, fish oil, or soy
- you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using PrimaCare Advantage:
Some medical conditions may interact with PrimaCare Advantage. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), pernicious anemia or other blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), peptic ulcer, or kidney stones
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with PrimaCare Advantage. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by PrimaCare Advantage
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, captopril), eplerenone, or potassium-sparing diuretics because high blood potassium levels may be increased
- Aluminum salts or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by PrimaCare Advantage
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by PrimaCare Advantage
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if PrimaCare Advantage may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use PrimaCare Advantage:
Use PrimaCare Advantage as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take PrimaCare Advantage by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take PrimaCare Advantage by mouth with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take PrimaCare Advantage.
- Avoid taking PrimaCare Advantage with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in PrimaCare Advantage.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, low blood platelets, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as PrimaCare Advantage; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of PrimaCare Advantage should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of PrimaCare Advantage, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use PrimaCare Advantage.
Important safety information:
- PrimaCare Advantage may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Some brands of PrimaCare Advantage may contain fish oil or soy. If you have had an allergic reaction to fish, fish oil, or soy, ask your pharmacist if your brand contains fish oil or soy.
- PrimaCare Advantage has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: PrimaCare Advantage is intended for use during pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use PrimaCare Advantage, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of PrimaCare Advantage:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of PrimaCare Advantage:
Store PrimaCare Advantage at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep PrimaCare Advantage out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about PrimaCare Advantage, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- PrimaCare Advantage is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take PrimaCare Advantage or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about PrimaCare Advantage. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to PrimaCare Advantage. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using PrimaCare Advantage.