Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 4, 2023.
Uses of Neotic:
- It is used to ease pain, swelling, and pressure linked with some ear infections.
- It is used to soften earwax so it may be taken out.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Neotic?
- If you are allergic to Neotic (antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin/zinc ear drops); any part of Neotic (antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin/zinc ear drops); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a hole in the eardrum.
- If you have discharge coming out of the ear.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Neotic (antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin/zinc ear drops).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Neotic (antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin/zinc ear drops) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Neotic?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Neotic (antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin/zinc ear drops). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Neotic (antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin/zinc ear drops) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Neotic) best taken?
Use Neotic (antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin/zinc ear drops) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the ear only.
- Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Warm solution in hands 1 to 2 minutes before putting drops in ear.
- Lie on your side with problem ear up.
- Pull the outer ear outward and upward.
- For children younger than 3 years of age, pull the outer ear outward and downward.
- Put drops in ear without touching dropper to ear. Stay on side for 2 minutes or put cotton plug in ear.
- Do not touch the container tip to the skin.
- Do not use if it turns brownish-yellow.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Neotic (antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin/zinc ear drops) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad ear irritation.
What are some other side effects of Neotic?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Neotic?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Neotic (antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin/zinc ear drops), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Neotic (antipyrine / benzocaine / zinc acetate otic)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.