Generic name: Neomycin, Polymyxin B, and Dexamethasone Eye Ointment (nee oh MYE sin, pol i MIKS in bee, & deks a METH a sone)
Brand name: Maxitrol
Drug class: Ophthalmic steroids with anti-infectives
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 21, 2020.
Uses of Maxitrol:
- It is used to treat or prevent eye infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Maxitrol?
- If you are allergic to Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment); any part of Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: A fungal, TB (tuberculosis), or viral infection of the eye.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Maxitrol?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when driving or doing other tasks that call for clear eyesight.
- Do not use Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Long-term use may raise the chance of cataracts or glaucoma. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your eye pressure checked if you are on Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment) for a long time. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Maxitrol) best taken?
Use Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
- Do not wear contact lenses while using Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment).
- When using, tilt your head back.
- Gently pull down the lower lid and squeeze in how much the doctor told you to use.
- Look down before you close your eye.
- Let go of the lower eyelid and keep eyes closed for 1 to 2 minutes.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Maxitrol?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Eye irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Maxitrol?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Maxitrol (neomycin, polymyxin B, and dexamethasone eye ointment), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Maxitrol (dexamethasone / neomycin / polymyxin b ophthalmic)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: ophthalmic steroids with anti-infectives
- Drug Information
- Maxitrol (Advanced Reading)
- Maxitrol (Neomycin, Polymyxin B, and Dexamethasone Eye Drops)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.