Generic Name: Vincristine (Liposomal) (vin KRIS teen lye po SO mal)
Brand Name: Marqibo
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 5, 2020.
- This medicine is given as a shot into a vein only. If given other ways, this can be deadly. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine must not be given into the spine.
Uses of Marqibo:
- It is used to treat a type of leukemia.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Marqibo?
- If you are allergic to Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)); any part of Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)), like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or seizures. There are many drugs that must not be taken with Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Marqibo?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before getting any vaccines. Use of some vaccines with Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)) may either raise the chance of an infection or make the vaccine not work as well.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- To help with constipation, you may need to drink more liquids, exercise, or include more fiber in your diet. Talk with your doctor.
- If you have upset stomach, throwing up, diarrhea, or are not hungry, talk with your doctor. There may be ways to lower these side effects.
- It is common to have nerve problems with Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)). Nerve problems may include a numbness, tingling, or burning feeling in your hands or feet. Call your doctor if you have nerve problems that are very bad, cause problems with daily living, or do not go away.
- This medicine may cause harm to an unborn baby. Women must use birth control while taking Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)). If you get pregnant, call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Marqibo) best taken?
Use Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Change in reflexes.
- Jaw pain.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Muscle spasm.
- Muscle weakness.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Severe constipation or stomach pain. These may be signs of a severe bowel problem.
- This medicine may cause tissue damage if the drug leaks from the vein. Tell your nurse if you have any redness, burning, pain, swelling, blisters, skin sores, or leaking of fluid where the drug is going into your body.
- Patients with cancer who take Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)) may be at a greater risk of getting a severe health problem called tumor lysis syndrome (TLS).This may lead to death. Call your doctor right away if you have a fast or abnormal heartbeat; any passing out; trouble passing urine; muscle weakness or cramps; upset stomach, throwing up, diarrhea, or not able to eat; or feel sluggish.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)). Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Marqibo?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Upset stomach.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not hungry.
- Stomach pain.
- Trouble sleeping.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Marqibo?
- If you need to store Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Marqibo (vincristine (liposomal)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.