Generic Name: Itraconazole Capsules (IT ra KON a zole)
Brand Name: Sporanox
Medically reviewed on May 2, 2018
- Heart failure (weak heart) has happened with this medicine (itraconazole capsules). If you have or have ever had heart failure, talk with your doctor. Get medical help right away if you have signs of heart failure like shortness of breath, a big weight gain, coughing up white or pink mucus, fast heartbeat, waking up at night more than normal, or swelling in the arms or legs while you take this medicine (itraconazole capsules).
- This medicine interacts with many other drugs. This may affect how well this medicine (itraconazole capsules) works or cause side effects. Sometimes, these effects may be very bad or deadly. Do not take this medicine (itraconazole capsules) if you are taking any of these drugs: Avanafil, cisapride, dihydroergotamine, disopyramide, dofetilide, dronedarone, eplerenone, ergonovine, ergotamine, felodipine, irinotecan, isavuconazole, ivabradine, lomitapide, lovastatin, lurasidone, methadone, methylergonovine, oral midazolam, naloxegol, nisoldipine, pimozide, quinidine, ranolazine, simvastatin, ticagrelor, or triazolam. Some patients must not take this medicine (itraconazole capsules) with eliglustat. There are many other drugs that must not be taken with this medicine (itraconazole capsules). Check with your doctor and pharmacist to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (itraconazole capsules) with all of your other drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins).
- If you have kidney or liver problems, do not take this medicine (itraconazole capsules) if you are also taking fesoterodine, solifenacin, or a drug that has colchicine in it.
Uses of Itraconazole Capsules:
- It is used to treat fungal infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Itraconazole Capsules?
For all uses of this medicine (itraconazole capsules):
- If you have an allergy to itraconazole or any other part of this medicine (itraconazole capsules).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
Nail fungal infections:
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take this medicine (itraconazole capsules) if you are pregnant.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (itraconazole capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Itraconazole Capsules?
For all uses of this medicine (itraconazole capsules):
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (itraconazole capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (itraconazole capsules) affects you.
- If you have dizziness or change in eyesight, do not drive or do other tasks or actions that could be unsafe.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Do not switch brands or types of this medicine (itraconazole capsules) (like tablets, liquid) unless you talk with the doctor. They may not work the same.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- This medicine may make you sunburn more easily. Use care if you will be in the sun. Tell your doctor if you sunburn easily while taking this drug.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (itraconazole capsules) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (itraconazole capsules) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
Nail fungal infections:
- It may take a few weeks to months to see the full effect.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking this medicine (itraconazole capsules) and for at least 2 months after your last dose.
How is this medicine (Itraconazole Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (itraconazole capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking this medicine (itraconazole capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take this medicine (itraconazole capsules) at the same time of day.
- Take this medicine (itraconazole capsules) with a full meal.
- If you have low stomach acid or you take another drug to lower stomach acid, take this medicine (itraconazole capsules) with an acidic drink like non-diet cola.
- Do not take antacids within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking this medicine (itraconazole capsules).
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, seizures, not hungry, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Not able to control passing urine.
- Passing urine more often.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Fever or chills.
- Ringing in ears.
- Change in eyesight.
- Feeling confused.
- Hearing loss has happened with this medicine (itraconazole capsules). Many times this has happened when this medicine (itraconazole capsules) was taken along with quinidine. This will most often go away after this medicine (itraconazole capsules) is stopped but may last for a long time in some people. Talk with your doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have rarely happened with this medicine (itraconazole capsules). Sometimes this happened within 7 days of starting this drug. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Itraconazole Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Itraconazole Capsules?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (itraconazole capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about itraconazole
- Itraconazole Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 26 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: azole antifungals