Generic Name: Emicizumab-kxwh (em i SIZ ue mab kxwh)
Brand Name: Hemlibra
Medically reviewed on July 4, 2018
- Very bad side effects have happened when Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) was used with a certain other drug called activated prothrombin complex concentrate (aPCC). These health problems include blood clots and injury to blood vessels. Call your doctor right away if you feel confused, faint, sick, or weak. Call your doctor right away if you have back or stomach pain, change in eyesight, chest pain or pressure, coughing up blood, eye pain or swelling, fast heartbeat, numbness in the face, pain in the leg or arm, shortness of breath, swelling in the arms or legs, trouble passing urine, upset stomach or throwing up, very bad headache, or yellow skin or eyes.
Uses of Hemlibra:
- It is used to prevent bleeding in people with hemophilia A.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Hemlibra?
- If you have an allergy to Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) or any part of Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Hemlibra?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. This may last for up to 6 months after your last dose. Be sure your doctor and lab workers know you take Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh).
- If your weight changes, talk with your doctor. The dose of Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) may need to be changed.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Hemlibra) best taken?
Use Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into the fatty part of the skin.
- If you will be giving yourself the shot, your doctor or nurse will teach you how to give the shot.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Move the site where you give the shot with each shot.
- Do not shake.
- Use right away after removing Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) from the vial.
- This medicine is colorless to a faint yellow. Do not use if the solution changes color.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not give into red or irritated skin.
- Do not give into a mole, scar, or bruise.
- Do not use pressure (waist band or belt) on the part where the shot is given.
- Throw away any part of the opened vial not used after the shot is given.
- Throw away needles in a needle/sharp disposal box. Do not reuse needles or other items. When the box is full, follow all local rules for getting rid of it. Talk with a doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it and go back to your normal time.
- If you do not think about the missed dose until the day of your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where the shot was given.
What are some other side effects of Hemlibra?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where the shot is given.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Hemlibra?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Store in the carton to protect from light.
- If needed, unopened vials of Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) can be stored at room temperature and then returned to the refrigerator. Do not store Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) at room temperature for more than a total of 7 days. If a vial of Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) has been at room temperature for a total of 7 days, throw the drug away.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh) is refilled. If you have any questions about Hemlibra (emicizumab-kxwh), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Hemlibra (emicizumab)
- Hemlibra Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews
- Drug class: miscellaneous coagulation modifiers