Generic Name: von Willebrand Factor/Coagulation Factor VIII Complex (Human)
Date of Approval: December 4, 2009
Company: Octapharma USA
Treatment for: von Willebrand's Disease
FDA Approves Wilate
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved Wilate for the treatment of spontaneous and trauma-induced bleeding episodes in patients with all types of von Willebrand disease (VWD).
Highlights of Prescribing Information
These highlights do not include all the information needed to use Wilate safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Wilate.
Wilate Indications and Usage
- Wilate is a von Willebrand Factor/Coagulation Factor VIII Complex (Human) indicated for the treatment of spontaneous and trauma-induced bleeding episodes in patients with severe von Willebrand disease (VWD) as well as patients with mild or moderate VWD in whom the use of desmopressin is known or suspected to be ineffective or contraindicated.
- Wilate is not indicated for the prophylaxis of spontaneous bleeding episodes, or the prevention of excessive bleeding during and after surgery in VWD patients.
- Wilate is also not indicated for Hemophilia A
Dosage and Administration
- For Intravenous Use Only
|Type of Hemorrhages||Loading Dosage (IU VWF:RCo /kg BW)||Maintenance Dosage (IU VWF:RCo /kg BW)||Therapeutic Goal|
|Minor||20-40 IU/kg||20-30 IU/kg every 12-24 hours||VWF:RCo and FVIII activity trough levels of >30%|
|Major||40-60 IU/kg||20-40 IU/kg every 12-24 hours||VWF:RCo and FVIII activity trough levels of >50%|
Dosage Forms and Strengths
- Wilate is a sterile, lyophilized powder for reconstitution for intravenous injection, provided in the following nominal strengths per vial:
- 450 IU VWF:RCo and 450 IU FVIII activities in 5 mL
- 900 IU VWF:RCo and 900 IU FVIII activities in 10 mL
- Hypersensitivity with known anaphylactic or severe systemic reaction to human plasma-derived products, any ingredient in the formulation, or components of the container.
Warnings and Precautions
- Hypersensitivity reaction
- Thromboembolic events associated with von Willebrand factor/Coagulation Factor FVIII (VWF/FVIII) products: plasma levels of FVIII activity should be monitored to avoid sustained excessive FVIII levels, which may increase the risk of thrombotic events
- Potential for inducing antibodies to Factor VIII (inhibitors) and antibodies to VWF, especially in VWD type 3 patients
- Theoretical risk of infectious agents transmission as the product is made from human plasma
Wilate Side Effects
The most common adverse reactions in clinical studies on VWD were urticaria and dizziness (each 2.2%).
To report SUSPECTED ADVERSE REACTIONS, contact Octapharma USA Inc. at phone # 866-766-4860 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
- None known.
Use In Specific Populations
- Pregnancy: No human or animal data. Use only if clearly needed.
Patient Counseling Information for Wilate
- Inform patients of the early signs of hypersensitivity reactions including hives, generalized urticaria, tightness of the chest, wheezing, hypotension, and anaphylaxis. If allergic symptoms occur, patients should discontinue the administration immediately and contact their physician.
- Inform patients that undergoing multiple treatments with Wilate may increase the risk of thrombotic events thereby requiring frequent monitoring of plasma VWF:RCo and FVIII activities.
- Inform patients that there is a potential of developing inhibitors to VWF, leading to an inadequate clinical response. Thus, if the expected VWF activity plasma levels are not attained, or if bleeding is not controlled with an adequate dose or repeated dosing, contact the treating physician.
- Inform patients that despite procedures for screening donors and plasma as well as those for inactivation or removal of infectious agents, the possibility of transmitting infective agents with plasma-derived products cannot be totally excluded.
More about Wilate (antihemophilic factor / von willebrand factor)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating