Generic Name: probiotic (PRO-bi-OT-ik)
Brand Name: Examples include Flora-Q and Risaquad-2
Flora-Q is used for:
Promoting the growth of certain types of "friendly bacteria" in the digestive tract.
Flora-Q is a dietary supplement.
Do NOT use Flora-Q if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Flora-Q
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Flora-Q:
Some medical conditions may interact with Flora-Q. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fever
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Flora-Q. However, no specific interactions with Flora-Q are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Flora-Q may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Flora-Q:
Use Flora-Q as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Flora-Q by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Flora-Q, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Flora-Q.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Some brands of Flora-Q may contain a very small amount of dairy protein. If you have trouble digesting dairy products, ask your doctor or pharmacist if your product has dairy proteins in it. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Flora-Q while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Flora-Q, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Flora-Q:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; dizziness).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Flora-Q:
Some brands of Flora-Q should be stored in the refrigerator. Read the label on the product or check with the pharmacist to find out how to store your brand of medicine. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Flora-Q out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Flora-Q, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Flora-Q is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Flora-Q or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Flora-Q. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Flora-Q. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Flora-Q.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.