Generic Name: ergocalciferol (er-goe-kal-SIF-e-role)
Brand Name: Drisdol
Ergocalciferol is used for:
Treating low parathyroid hormone levels, rickets (a vitamin D deficiency condition), and low phosphate levels in the body. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ergocalciferol is a form of vitamin D. It works by promoting proper absorption and use of calcium and phosphate in the body and helping to regulate parathyroid hormone levels.
Do NOT use ergocalciferol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ergocalciferol
- you have high blood calcium levels, malabsorption syndrome, or you are experiencing toxic effects from taking too much vitamin D or having too much vitamin D in the body
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ergocalciferol:
Some medical conditions may interact with ergocalciferol. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have hardening of the arteries, heart problems, or high blood phosphate levels
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ergocalciferol. However, no specific interactions with ergocalciferol are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if ergocalciferol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ergocalciferol:
Use ergocalciferol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take ergocalciferol with or without food.
- Swallow whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Do not take mineral oil at the same time you take ergocalciferol. Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after mineral oil.
- If you miss a dose of ergocalciferol, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ergocalciferol.
Important safety information:
- Some of these products contain tartrazine dye (FD&C Yellow No. 5), which can cause allergic reactions in certain patients. If you have previously had an allergic reaction to tartrazine, contact your pharmacist to determine if the medicine you are taking contains tartrazine.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while taking ergocalciferol unless directed to by your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, such as blood calcium and phosphate levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using ergocalciferol during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using ergocalciferol, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of ergocalciferol:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Aches; constipation; loss of appetite; nausea; weakness; weight loss.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); brittle bones; chills; diarrhea; dry mouth; excessive thirst; excessive urination; growth suppression in children; headache; mental retardation; metallic taste in your mouth; muscle or bone pain; sleepiness; stomach cramps; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include aches; brittle bones; coma; constipation; decreased growth; depression; diarrhea; drowsiness; dry mouth; excessive urination; fainting; hallucinations; hardening of tissues, such as blood vessels, heart, kidneys, lung, and skin; headache; kidney problems; loss of appetite; loss of muscle coordination; memory loss; metallic taste; nausea; ringing in the ears; vomiting; weakness; weight loss.Proper storage of ergocalciferol:
Store ergocalciferol at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat, light, and moisture. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep ergocalciferol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ergocalciferol, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ergocalciferol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ergocalciferol or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ergocalciferol. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ergocalciferol. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ergocalciferol.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.