Generic Name: ergocalciferol (er-goe-kal-SIF-e-role)
Brand Name: Examples include Calciferol and Drisdol
Ergocalciferol solution is used for:
Treating or preventing low vitamin D levels. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ergocalciferol solution is a vitamin. It works by increasing vitamin D levels in the body.
Do NOT use ergocalciferol solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ergocalciferol solution
- you have high blood calcium levels or vitamin D toxicity
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ergocalciferol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with ergocalciferol solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have hardening of the arteries, heart problems, or high blood phosphate levels
- if you have a history of nutritional or electrolyte deficiencies
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ergocalciferol solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Verapamil because its effectiveness may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if ergocalciferol solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ergocalciferol solution:
Use ergocalciferol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use the dropper than comes with ergocalciferol solution to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Drop the dose of ergocalciferol solution directly into the mouth or you may mix it with milk, formula, fruit juice, cereal, fruit, dessert, or other liquid or semisolid liquids.
- If you miss taking a dose of ergocalciferol solution for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ergocalciferol solution.
Important safety information:
- Ergocalciferol solution may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to ergocalciferol solution. Using ergocalciferol solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while taking ergocalciferol solution, unless directed to by your doctor.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- LAB TESTS may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking ergocalciferol solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using ergocalciferol solution during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking ergocalciferol solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of ergocalciferol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Aches; stiffness; weight loss.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); brittle bones or bone pain; chills; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth; excessive thirst; excessive urination; fever; headache; irregular heartbeat; loss of appetite; metallic taste in your mouth; muscle or bone pain; nausea; sleepiness; stomach cramps; vomiting; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coma; fainting; hallucinations; incoordination; metallic taste in mouth; ringing in the ears; tiredness; vomiting.Proper storage of ergocalciferol solution:
Store ergocalciferol solution at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat, light, and moisture. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep ergocalciferol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ergocalciferol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ergocalciferol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ergocalciferol solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ergocalciferol solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ergocalciferol solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ergocalciferol solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.