Dutasteride and Tamsulosin
Generic Name: Dutasteride and Tamsulosin (doo TAS teer ide & tam SOO loe sin)
Brand Name: Jalyn
Uses of Dutasteride and Tamsulosin:
- In men, it is used to treat the signs of an enlarged prostate.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Dutasteride and Tamsulosin?
For all patients taking dutasteride and tamsulosin:
- If you have an allergy to dutasteride, tamsulosin, or any other part of this medicine.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take dutasteride and tamsulosin if you are pregnant.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with this medicine, like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or depression. There are many drugs that must not be taken with dutasteride and tamsulosin. Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you if you are taking a drug that must not be taken with this medicine.
- If the patient is a child. Do not give dutasteride and tamsulosin to a child.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take dutasteride and tamsulosin with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Dutasteride and Tamsulosin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how dutasteride and tamsulosin affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Do not donate blood while using this medicine and for 6 months after stopping.
- A serious form of prostate cancer was seen more often in certain men taking drugs like this one than in those who were not. This was seen in a trial of men taking these drugs to lower the chance of prostate cancer. Talk with your doctor.
- Pregnant women or females of childbearing age must not touch the capsules. Talk with the doctor.
- If a woman who is pregnant or may get pregnant touches a leaking capsule, the area must be washed right away with soap and water. Tell your doctor right away.
- If you are having cataract surgery or other eye procedure, talk with your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your blood pressure checked often. Talk with your doctor.
- Have a rectal exam (to check prostate gland) and blood work (PSA test). Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take dutasteride and tamsulosin.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- This medicine may affect sperm in men. This may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is not approved for use in women.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking this medicine, call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Dutasteride and Tamsulosin) best taken?
Use dutasteride and tamsulosin as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep taking this medicine as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Take 30 minutes after the same meal every day.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Do not take or touch the capsule if it is deformed, changes color, or is leaking.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it, after a meal.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss taking dutasteride and tamsulosin for a few days in a row, call your doctor before you start taking it again.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- A lump in the breast, breast soreness, or nipple discharge.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Breast pain.
- Low mood (depression).
- Call your doctor right away if you have a painful erection (hard penis) or an erection that lasts for longer than 4 hours. This may happen even when you are not having sex. If this is not treated right away, it may lead to lasting sex problems and you may not be able to have sex.
What are some other side effects of Dutasteride and Tamsulosin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Runny nose.
- This medicine may cause a change in sex ability in men or lowered interest in sex. This could go on after you stop this medicine. Talk with your doctor if these effects go on or bother you.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Dutasteride and Tamsulosin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about dutasteride and tamsulosin, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about dutasteride and tamsulosin. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using dutasteride and tamsulosin.
Review Date: October 4, 2017
More about dutasteride/tamsulosin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 20 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors
Other brands: Jalyn