Generic Name: penciclovir (pen-SYE-kloe-vir)
Brand Name: Denavir
Denavir is used for:
Treating recurring cold sores associated with the herpes simplex virus. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Denavir is an antiviral. It works by preventing the herpes simplex virus from growing.
Do NOT use Denavir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Denavir
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Denavir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Denavir. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a weakened immune system
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Denavir. Because little, if any, of Denavir is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Denavir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Denavir:
Use Denavir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Start treatment as soon as lesions or signs of cold sores (tingling, redness, itching, or a bump) appear.
- Before using Denavir, wash your hands, clean your face, and pat dry.
- Apply enough of Denavir to cover only the cold sore area of tingling (or other symptoms) before the cold sores appear. Rub the cream in until it disappears.
- Wash your hands with soap and water immediately after using Denavir.
- To clear up your infection completely, apply Denavir every 2 hours while awake for 4 days. Use Denavir for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if your symptoms improve in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Denavir, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Denavir.
Important safety information:
- Use Denavir only on cold sores on the lips or face. Avoid applying in or near the eyes as irritation may occur.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Denavir is not a cure for cold sores and all patients may not respond to it, especially patients with weakened immune systems.
- Denavir should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Denavir while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. Do not breast-feed while taking Denavir.
Possible side effects of Denavir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bad taste in mouth; burning, pain, numbness, or itching at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Denavir may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Denavir:
Store Denavir at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Do not store in the bathroom. Store away from heat, light, and moisture. Keep Denavir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Denavir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Denavir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Denavir or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Denavir. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Denavir. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Denavir.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Denavir (penciclovir topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 30 Reviews – Add your own review/rating