Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus
Generic Name: Acetaminophen, Chlorpheniramine, and Phenylephrine Tablets (ah seet ah MIN oh fen, klor fen EER a meen, & fen ill EF rin)
Brand Name: Allergy Multi-Symptom, Allergy Multi-Symptom Daytime, Comtrex Flu Therapy Day/Night, Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus, Contac Cold+Flu Maximum Strength, ...show all 36 brand names.Contac Cold/Flu Day & Night, Coricidin D Cold/Flu/Sinus, CVS Sinus Congestion/Pain Day/Night, CVS Sinus Congestion/Pain Night Time, Dristan Cold, EQ Allergy Relief, EQL Allergy Multi-Symptom, GNP Allergy Multi-Symptom, GNP Sinus Congestion/Pain Day/Night, GNP Sinus Congestion/Pain Night Time, GNP Sinus Relief Congestion/Pain, Medicidin-D, Night Time Sinus/Pain, Norel AD, Onset Forte, PX Allergy Sinus PE, QC Allergy Relief Multi-Symptom, RA Allergy Multi-Symptom, RA Sinus Congestion/Pain Day/Night, Robitussin Peak Cold Nasal Relief, SB Allergy Multi-Symptom, SB Sinus Congestion/Pain Day/Night, SB Sinus Congestion/Pain Night Time, Sinus Congestion/Pain Day/Night, Sinus Congestion/Pain Night Time, SM Allergy Multi-Symptom, Super Cold Tabs, Super Strength Sinadrin, TGT Sinus Congestion/Pain, Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom, Tylenol Sinus Congestion/Pain
Uses of Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus:
- It is used to treat nose stuffiness.
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
- It is used to ease pain and fever.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus?
- If you have an allergy to this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) or any part of this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have taken certain drugs used for low mood (depression) like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine or drugs used for Parkinson's disease like selegiline or rasagiline in the last 14 days. Taking this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) within 14 days of those drugs can cause very bad high blood pressure.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) affects you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid other sources of acetaminophen. Check labels closely. Too much acetaminophen may cause problems.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with the use of acetaminophen. Some people needed a liver transplant. Liver problems happened most often in people taking more than 4,000 mg (milligrams) in a day. People were often taking more than one drug with acetaminophen in it. Talk with your doctor.
- Call your doctor right away if you take more than 4,000 mg (milligrams) of acetaminophen in a day, even if you feel well.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) best taken?
Use this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus) or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus). This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine (Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus).
Review Date: March 7, 2018
More about Comtrex Severe Cold & Sinus (acetaminophen / chlorpheniramine / phenylephrine)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations