Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 12, 2020.
Uses of Citrucel:
- It is used to treat constipation.
- It is used to raise fiber in the diet.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Citrucel?
- If you have an allergy to methylcellulose or any other part of Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets).
- If you are allergic to Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets); any part of Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bowel block, belly pain, upset stomach, rectal bleeding, throwing up, or change in bowel habits lasting longer than 2 weeks.
- If you have trouble swallowing.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Citrucel?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets) for more than 1 week unless told to do so by your doctor.
- Do not use other laxatives or stool softeners unless told to do so by the doctor.
- If you have rectal bleeding or you do not have a bowel movement after using Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets), talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Citrucel) best taken?
Use Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- If you do not take Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets) with lots of liquid, it may swell and block your throat, which may cause choking. Do not take Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets) if you have trouble swallowing. If you have chest pain, throwing up, or trouble swallowing or breathing after taking Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets), get help right away.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Chest pain.
- Throwing up.
What are some other side effects of Citrucel?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Citrucel?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Citrucel (methylcellulose tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Citrucel (methylcellulose)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Imprints, Shape & Color Data
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: laxatives
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.