Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 6, 2023.
Uses of Ciclopirox Topical Solution:
- It is used to treat some nail problems.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ciclopirox Topical Solution?
- If you have an allergy to ciclopirox or any other part of ciclopirox topical solution.
- If you are allergic to ciclopirox topical solution; any part of ciclopirox topical solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take ciclopirox topical solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ciclopirox Topical Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take ciclopirox topical solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If ciclopirox topical solution is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using ciclopirox topical solution while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Ciclopirox Topical Solution) best taken?
Use ciclopirox topical solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take ciclopirox topical solution by mouth. Use on your nails and the skin around your nails only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes.
- Read the package insert for more details.
- Use 8 hours before bathing.
- Use on nails and nail beds every day.
- Take off once weekly with rubbing alcohol.
- Do not use nail polish or other products on nails when using ciclopirox topical solution.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where ciclopirox topical solution is used.
- Blisters or sores.
- Oozing or bleeding.
What are some other side effects of Ciclopirox Topical Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Change in skin or finger nails.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Ciclopirox Topical Solution?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Store nail solution in the original container after each use.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Protect from light.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about ciclopirox topical solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about ciclopirox topical
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (53)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: topical antifungals
- En español
- Ciclopirox topical drug information
- Ciclopirox (Advanced Reading)
- Ciclopirox Cream
- Ciclopirox Cream and Cleanser Kit
- Ciclopirox Gel
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.