Generic Name: butenafine (byoo-TEN-a-feen)
Brand Name: Mentax
Butenafine cream is used for:
Treating certain fungal infections of the skin. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor, which may not be listed in the professional package insert.
Butenafine cream is a topical antifungal. It works by killing sensitive fungi by interfering with the formation of the fungal cell membrane and weakening it.
Do NOT use butenafine cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in butenafine cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using butenafine cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with butenafine cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with butenafine cream. However, no specific interactions with butenafine cream are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if butenafine cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use butenafine cream:
Use butenafine cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Butenafine cream works best if it is used at the same time(s) each day.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- Use enough cream to cover the affected areas and the healthy skin close to the affected areas.
- Wash your hands immediately after using butenafine cream.
- Do not cover the area with bandages or other dressings unless directed by your health care provider.
- Continue to use butenafine cream for the full treatment time recommended by your health care provider, even though symptoms have gotten better.
- If you miss a dose of butenafine cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use butenafine cream.
Important safety information:
- Do not use butenafine cream for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Butenafine cream is for external use only. Avoid contact with nose, mouth, and eyes. If you get butenafine cream in your eyes, immediately rinse out with cool tap water.
- Butenafine cream is not for use in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using butenafine cream during pregnancy. It is unknown if butenafine cream is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor to discuss the benefits and risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of butenafine cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning; inflammation; irritation; itching; redness; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Butenafine cream may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of butenafine cream:
Store butenafine cream at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) in a tightly-closed container, away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep butenafine cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about butenafine cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Butenafine cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take butenafine cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about butenafine cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to butenafine cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using butenafine cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about butenafine topical
- Other brands: Mentax