Benzoyl Peroxide Cream
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide (BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Acne Treatment and Clearskin
Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is used for:
Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. The effectiveness of benzoyl peroxide appears to be due to its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
Do NOT use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benzoyl Peroxide Cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benzoyl Peroxide Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benzoyl Peroxide Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benzoyl Peroxide Cream. However, no specific interactions with Benzoyl Peroxide Cream are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Benzoyl Peroxide Cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream:
Use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is only to be used on the skin.
- To use the shaving cream - Apply the cream, gently rub over the area, and shave. Rinse and pat dry.
- To use the cream - Wash and completely dry the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- To use the cream prefilled sponge applicators - Wash and completely dry the affected area. Firmly squeeze the prefilled sponge applicator until the seal between the applicator and sponge has broken. Apply Benzoyl Peroxide Cream by rubbing the sponge in small circular motions over the affected area. Dispose of each applicator after a single use.
- If you notice Benzoyl Peroxide Cream or a white residue remaining on your skin after application of the cream, you may be applying too much.
- Wash your hands immediately before and after using Benzoyl Peroxide Cream.
- If you miss a dose of Benzoyl Peroxide Cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream.
Important safety information:
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause serious and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or severe irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. Use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream as you were told by your doctor or read the package label. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is for external use only. Avoid getting Benzoyl Peroxide Cream in your eyes, on the inside of your nose or mouth, on highly inflamed or damaged skin, or on your lips. If you get Benzoyl Peroxide Cream in any of these areas, immediately wash with cool tap water.
- Avoid applying Benzoyl Peroxide Cream to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Benzoyl Peroxide Cream. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Benzoyl Peroxide Cream can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benzoyl Peroxide Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Benzoyl Peroxide Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness; feeling of warmth; irritation; itching; peeling; redness; stinging; swelling of the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, redness, swelling, or tenderness of your skin; extreme dryness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling; flushing; redness; swelling.Proper storage of Benzoyl Peroxide Cream:
Store at room temperature between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container, away from fire, flame, heat, and light. Keep Benzoyl Peroxide Cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benzoyl Peroxide Cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Benzoyl Peroxide Cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Benzoyl Peroxide Cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Benzoyl Peroxide Cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Benzoyl Peroxide Cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about benzoyl peroxide topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 27 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical acne agents
- Benzoyl peroxide bar
- Benzoyl peroxide cloths
- Benzoyl peroxide foam
- Benzoyl peroxide gel
- Benzoyl peroxide lotion
- More... (6)