Attapulgite Liquid and Suspension
Generic name: Attapulgite Liquid and Suspension (at ah PULL gyte)
Brand name: Ka-Pec, Kao-Tin Advanced Formula
Drug class: Antidiarrheals
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 26, 2020.
Uses of Attapulgite Liquid and Suspension:
- It is used to treat diarrhea.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Attapulgite Liquid and Suspension?
- If you are allergic to attapulgite liquid and suspension; any part of attapulgite liquid and suspension; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take attapulgite liquid and suspension with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Attapulgite Liquid and Suspension?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take attapulgite liquid and suspension. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are 65 or older, use attapulgite liquid and suspension with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using attapulgite liquid and suspension while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Attapulgite Liquid and Suspension) best taken?
Use attapulgite liquid and suspension as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow what your doctor has told you to do.
- Take with or without food.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Do not take attapulgite liquid and suspension for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- This medicine prevents many other drugs from getting into the body. If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than attapulgite liquid and suspension.
- Shake well before use.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with attapulgite liquid and suspension. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure attapulgite liquid and suspension.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Attapulgite Liquid and Suspension?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Attapulgite Liquid and Suspension?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about attapulgite liquid and suspension, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about attapulgite
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 1 Review
- Drug class: antidiarrheals
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.