Is suboxone a schedule 2 or 3 controlled substance?

6 Answers

christineATU 20 Sep 2010

Buprenorphine can be either schedule 3 or schedule 5 depending on what it is being used for - treating opiate dependence or treating pain.

christineATU 21 Sep 2010

Before the thumbs down, did anybody even bother to click on the link and see that subutex has multiple classes? Unless Drugs.com is misinformed, no reason not to double check the info first...

oxyaaron 22 Nov 2010

im sorry i accidentally pressed thumbs down wen i ment up sorry

christineATU 22 Nov 2010

Thanks for telling me Aaron, I was a bit confused why someone would thumbs down info I basically copied from the book! lol. You're very kind to admit your mistake. As Maso always says, "We are all human and not perfect,"

dave420wk 29 May 2012

Buprenorphine has multiple classes not Subutex or Suboxone. Buprenorphine is the active ingreident in Subutex , Suboxone , Stadol , and Buprenex. When using buprenorphine for opiate addiction it is controlled more tightly due to it being in the hands of drug addicts. Stadol is a nasal spray containing buprenorphine used for pain . Buprenex is an injectable form of buprnorphine. Buprenorphine is thought to be a new drug but it has been around since the late 1970's. I am a pharmacist and a addict . I have been on Subutex for 6 years and have been sober 5 years . Yes my first year on Subutex i struggled. After a year of switching back and forth from stronger narcotics i stopped fighting and have remained sober since..

dave420wk 29 May 2012

The answer to your question is wrong . Suboxone and Subutex are both schedule 3. They both contain buprenorphine and are schedule 3 because they are used to treat opiate dependence and are more likely to be diverted. Buprenorphine has been around since 1978. It was and still used for pain as the brand name Stadol and Buprenex . Stadol is a nasal spray and buprenex is a injectable solution. When the drug was approved in 2002 for opiate dependence as Suboxone and Subutex it was given a schedule 3 . Next time you give someone medical advice make sure you know what you are talking about... READ THIS COMMENT IT HAS THE CORRECT ANSWER!!! The answer above is wrong

JMul512 2 Mar 2017

Dave not a lot of friends in high school?

David74 10 Apr 2017

Davewank is wrong... as of July 2013, and before, all buprenorphine products are schedule 3 regardless of of condition being treated or dosage written for. Also Stadol is not bupe. No need to be rude when you're misinformed.

Inactive 20 Sep 2010

Buprenorphine (suboxone) and all products containing buprenorphine are controlled in Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act.

dave420wk 29 May 2012

Wrong answer. Buprenorphine as the nasal spray called Stadol or as a injectable solutuion called Buprenex is SCHEDULE 5... I cant believe how many people dont know this . Here is a fun fact Buprenorphine has been around since 1978.. That is why it is a schedule 5. Because it was a 5 all the way until 2002 when the FDA approved it for use as Suboxone or Subutex...

dave420wk 29 May 2012

Recently the schedules have changed and Stadol is now a 4as is Buprenex

eternalquirk 22 Oct 2012

To dave: this answer is correct in that all buprenorphine products (including the SL forms, Suboxone and Subutx, injection Buprenex and the patch Butrans) are now CIII (see: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugs_concern/buprenorphine.pdf ) and you are incorrect as Stadol is not buprenorphine but rather butorphanol (see: https://www.drugs.com/pro/stadol.html ) which is a CIV

Inactive 21 Sep 2010

It is a class III. How are you doing?

oxyaaron 21 Sep 2010

makin it right now am taking new pills like suboxone ativan tramadol and some others for different ailments but im doin quite a bit better thank you how are you?

dave420wk 29 May 2012

suboxone and subutex are class 3 ... Buprenex and Stadol are class 5 . Buprenorphine is scheduled twice . Bupe used for opiate dependence is a 3. When used for pain as Stadol nasal spray or injectable solution Buprenex irt is a 5... Check the facts

dave420wk 29 May 2012

Stadol and Buprenex have recently changed to a schedule 4 . This can happen whenb certain drugs become more and more abused or diverted. The FDA will change scheduling to make it harder to get or divert

StephanieAlice 21 Sep 2010

This isn't an answer, but it is so good to see that you are getting by. I've been through EVERYTHING addiction wise you have. Things WILL get better. I have faith in ya ;)

dave420wk 29 May 2012

Recently the schedules have changed and Stadol is now a 4as is Buprenex. Suboxone and subutex remain a 3. Stadol and buprenex contain Buprenorphine has been around since the late 1970's.

Ladybugg_9022 2 Mar 2013

I have heard from many counselors that is is actually a schedule 3. However I have heard of people who have been caught and was written as a schedule
1or 2 I think it depends on how it's used if its yours or if its intended to sell which in my opinion
Shouldn't change what it is its still the same drug

ForensicToxicologist 29 Aug 2017

Many mistaken answers here. All forms of buprenorphine are Schedule III under Federal law, no exceptions. https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1308/1308_13.htm

Stadol contains butorphenol, not buprenorphine, and is therefore Schedule IV under Federal law. https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1308/1308_14.htm

However, the Feds allow states to regulate drugs in their own State statutes differently. Generally, states may control drugs more strictly (higher schedule) but not more leniently (lower schedule). However, there are exceptions that the Feds tolerate for one reason or another. In my state (Florida), Buprenorphine is controlled under STATE Schedule V, and there are a significant number of drugs are not controlled under state law even though they are controlled Federally. Conversely, Florida controls butorphenol at the same level as Federal law does, Schedule IV.

Technically, you can be charged in Federal court under Federal law if you violate one of the Federal schedules; but as long as you are not illegally selling the drug, are not transporting the drug across state lines, and are not in possession of it on Federal property, then you primarily only need to be concerned with your own state's drug schedules. So there is no one answer. Most drugs are controlled at the state level in the same schedule as at the Federal level, but there are many exceptions, and buprenorphine is one of them. Check your own state's laws.