Oxazepam Side Effects
It is possible that some side effects of oxazepam may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
For the Consumer
Applies to oxazepam: oral capsule, oral tablet
As well as its needed effects, oxazepam may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking oxazepam, check with your doctor immediately:Rare
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- black, tarry stools
- chest pain
- clay-colored stools
- dark urine
- fever with or without chills
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite
- nausea and vomiting
- painful or difficult urination
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- shortness of breath
- slurred speech
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- stomach pain
- swollen glands
- unpleasant breath odor
- unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- vomiting of blood
- yellow eyes or skin
- Being forgetful
- confusion about identity, place, and time
- cough or hoarseness
- decreased awareness or responsiveness
- false or unusual sense of well-being
- fever and sore throat
- general feeling of tiredness or weakness
- loss of bladder control
- loss of memory
- lower back or side pain
- pale skin
- problems with memory
- severe sleepiness
- trouble sleeping
- unusual excitement, nervousness, restlessness, or irritability
If any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking oxazepam, get emergency help immediately:Symptoms of overdose
- Blurred vision
- change in consciousness
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position suddenly
- loss of consciousness
- loss of strength or energy
- muscle pain or weakness
- unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness
- unusual weak feeling
Some oxazepam side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:Rare
- Decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- inability to have or keep an erection
- increased in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
- increased interest in sexual intercourse
- loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
- rash with flat lesions or small raised lesions on the skin
- sensation of spinning
- Double vision
- menstrual changes
- seeing double
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to oxazepam: oral capsule, oral tablet
Nervous system side effects are common, particularly at higher doses. These effects include drowsiness, psychomotor retardation, decreased reaction time, lightheadedness, confusion, somnolence, perspiration, and euphoria.
Some patients have a paradoxical (disinhibition) reaction to oxazepam in the first few weeks of therapy. This reaction is usually self-limited.
Other side effects have included withdrawal symptoms as a result of abrupt cessation of oxazepam. Withdrawal symptoms have included anxiety, insomnia, tremors, seizures and depression.
Withdrawal symptoms occur most commonly after prolonged therapy (6 months or more). Rare cases of withdrawal seizures have been reported in some patients after abrupt cessation of high doses. Psychological dependence on benzodiazepines may develop after prolonged administration. Patients with a history of substance abuse are particularly prone to develop psychological dependence.
Genitourinary side effects including urinary incontinence and sexual dysfunction have been reported.
In patients with liver disease, monitoring of liver function tests during oxazepam therapy may be helpful.
Hepatic side effects including mildly elevated liver function tests have been reported.
Hematologic side effects including cases of leukopenia have been reported rarely. A case of pancytopenia has also been reported.
Periodic monitoring of blood counts may be helpful.
Hypersensitivity side effects including diffuse exanthemas and urticaria have been reported rarely. A case of fixed drug eruptions has also been reported.
More about oxazepam
- Other brands: Serax
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.