User Reviews for Yaz

Menstrual Disorders 24 reviews 72 medications

6.7
Summary of Yaz reviews 279 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Yaz

For Birth Control: I've been on Yaz for about 3 years now. I was initially worried about it due to the bad media, but I was assured those issues had been resolved and were rare. I was put on Yaz due to my bad acne. Ever since taking it my periods have been lighter, shorter, my acne has lessened (not disappeared), and have gained no weight (at least due to the pill). I do have major migraines, but its due to an eye condition. At first I had emotional issues I believe were caused by the pill and a low sex drive. But after 3 months of use everything leveled out and was eventually better than when I started. The only problem I've ever had was when I was taken off Yaz for about 2 months due to insurance issues.

October 29, 2011 3:46 PM

Review by Female1993:

For Birth Control: Before Yaz, I was on Levlen (for three months). During that time, I developed cysts on my ovaries, extremely heavy periods and awful cystic acne on my chin. I also gained some weight. My doctor suggested Yaz, however I wanted to do some of my own research into this medicine. The Internet provided horrific reviews of this drug. I became so scared of Yaz before I'd even tried it! Eventually my doctor convinced me to give it a go (with some free sample sheets- it's not cheap!) and my goodness, it is the best thing I've ever done. I've been on Yaz for six months now and I can honestly say the positives greatly outweigh any negatives. My periods regulated, the cysts disappeared (shrank) and my acne cleared (in 3/4 months; it was very bad).

October 27, 2011 5:59 AM

For Birth Control: I love Yaz. I have been on Yaz for about 3 years now. I was originally on the off brand of Othro Tri-Cyclen and hated it! I became someone I didn't know, I was moody, I would cry for no reason no matter what part of my cycle I was in. I had absolutely no sex drive! Now I am on Yaz and I feel like myself, I have a normal sex drive, I haven't gained any weight. I haven't had any issues with Yaz. My periods are short and light and easy. Best birth control pill I have ever been on!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2011 4:52 PM

Review by FrauMueller:

For Birth Control: I started taking Yaz about six months ago and I'm not too thrilled. One of the worst things that happened while I was on it was when I had an emotional break down at work. I started crying, hysterically, because my boss asked me to pick up a piece of trash...seriously. I experience the worst mood wings and I'm starting to feel extremely depressed. The good thing about this pill is that it did shorten my period to about three days and the bleeding is very light. That's about where the good things end. My boyfriend, family, and friends have told me that I have turned really nasty these past few months. I'm usually a really laid back person but Yaz has changed me. I can't wait to try out a different form of birth control.

October 20, 2011 6:25 PM

For Acne: I was on Yaz for 5 months. I'm normally a really upbeat happy person. It turned me into an absolute monster. Very angry, all the time. I noticed it about two weeks after taking it. The only good thing about it was that I experienced no hair loss, no weight gain.

October 19, 2011 11:59 AM

Review by anna k:

For Acne: I'm 25 and have been suffering from acne for more than 10 yrs. I tried many topical creams with hardly any results (Differin, tretinoin, etc). I had moderate acne, I would get large red painful pimples that stayed on my face for weeks and also very oily skin. Tried birth control Loestrin with no improvements. Then stronger topical creams- no avail. My dermatologist suggested Beyaz. As always I was willing to try anything. Within three weeks my face started clearing. Such a huge change! I've been on the pill now for 4 months and I want to sing! I do not get large red pus filled pimples anymore and my skin is no longer oily even with makeup on. I still have one or two zits usually, but that is so much better compared to how I looked before.

October 19, 2011 12:48 AM

For Birth Control: I was on Yaz for about 6 months about 2 years ago and loved it. It made my skin great, I lost weight, controlled my crazy mood swings, and totally increased my sex drive. I was put on it because I had gotten pregnant on a different pill. The only reason I stopped was to try the Nuvaring which was the worst idea ever. I stopped that, and for whatever reason the doctor didn't put me back on Yaz, just a different generic of something else that made me lose libido, gain weight, get acne everything bad. Then I decided to stop taking birth control all together to try and get pregnant. Didn't work, still all bad mood swings and acne but found out about polycystic ovarian syndrome. Going back on Yaz tomorrow, only thing that keeps me from being crazy.

October 12, 2011 4:54 PM

For Acne: I started taking Yaz 2 months ago and for the first 5 weeks I hated it. My skin was worse then ever and I was about to stop. It's been close to 8 weeks now and my skin feels amazing! I have no bumps left on my face, maybe a few scars but they are slowly fading! I use Phisophex with Yaz and so far it's amazing. Keep going with Yaz and don't get freaked out in the first few weeks. I didn't gain any weight and no other side effects. I'm all for Yaz.

October 11, 2011 10:12 PM

For Birth Control: I took Yaz for 4 yrs and absolutely loved it. First, Yaz doesn't make you retain water, so when your period comes you never feel like a typical bloated boat walking around. Definitely helped with lighter, shorter periods. I've never had acne, but Yaz definitely cleared up even the tiniest pimples. You should still expect a few around your period but nothing crazy at all. The only bad side effect I would say was, sometimes it can make you a little crazy. You can become a really emotional, angry hot mess. I switched to another birth control because I was sick of taking the pill everyday. However, I would definitely recommend this.

October 2, 2011 11:42 PM

Review by kitty1234:

For Birth Control: As several people have already said, the majority of reviews I read for Yaz scared me almost to the point of reconsidering my choice of pill. However, I decided to just give it a shot, and I have found VERY FEW problems. My skin cleared up, besides a few pimples around my period, I gained maybe 5 pounds (my breasts got larger, but who's complaining), and as someone who suffers from generalized anxiety disorder, I have found no issues. There are only two negatives that I have found: if you forget to take a pill, you start spotting. My friends who take yaz have similar experiences. The other negative is that I tend to get a little moody around my period. Overall, I would definitely recommend this pill for acne and birth control.

September 29, 2011 10:05 AM

For Birth Control: IMPORTANT: I started Yaz about a year ago and at first I noticed nothing. Then I became extremely irritable towards my boyfriend for no reason. My breasts grew a full cup size (plus), BUT Yaz gave me a yeast infection for four months and made me gain ten pounds. I know everyone is different but I really did not notice how much weight I gained, my infection is terrible and I am switching.

September 20, 2011 3:42 PM

For Menstrual Disorders: I had the worst experience on Yaz! I did not gain a pound the entire time I was on the pill, but I had other horrible side effects. I would "spot" all month long a very thick, black discharge. This discharge literally ruined my sex life. I was too nervous to have sex, and on the occasion I did have sex and my boyfriend noticed the black discharge, he no longer could perform either. Also, my periods lasted on average 10 days and was very heavy all 10 days.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2011 1:15 PM

Review by armywife10:

For Birth Control: I've been on Yaz for a year and a half. Before I was ever on birth control I was very calm and a very easy going person. Ever since I went on Yaz I've been overly moody and angry all the time. I've lost my interest in doing anything new and now my husband and I fight all the time. I also bleed irregularly and have constant random spotting. On top of that I developed gallstones and had to have my gall bladder removed. The only good thing that Yaz has done for me is prevent pregnancy. The only reason I haven't changed to a different birth control is because I have been overseas until a few weeks ago and the birth control I want was not available there. I have an appointment to change birth control this week.

September 12, 2011 3:41 PM

For Birth Control: I took Yaz after I had my son. I was on it for 2 years and had no problems. I stop taking it so I could get pregnant. After my daughter was born I decided to go back on Yaz since I had no problems before. I just recently started the pills, I am starting the 3rd week and I have had breakthrough bleeding for 1 and 1/2 weeks straight now. I am so feed up with it. The whole reason I go back on the pills was to keep my bleeding regulated. So, I am thinking about switching to Loestrin24 Fe. I am going to give Yaz until the end of the pack and if the breakthrough bleeding doesn't stop then I am switching.

September 7, 2011 6:22 PM

For Acne: If you have a teenage daughter with acne, this is the answer. It was amazing. My daughter went from having inflamed acne all over her forehead to perfectly clear skin. It worked gradually and she does not take the placebo. Acne was gone in a few months. She also feels perfectly fine otherwise.

September 7, 2011 10:10 AM

For Birth Control: I used Yaz for about a year and it was obviously effective for preventing pregnancy and it did clear up my skin but for me there were a few negative side effects. It took a while for me to realize it was the Yaz causing the problems. I suddenly had very brittle dry hair that would break off and it just didn't seem to grow very much. My cuticles became very dry which caused my nails to become more apt to breakage. My eyes were very dry and I had to use eye drops several times a day. I have been off of Yaz for about 3 weeks and already my hair is so much healthier and seems to be growing back in and my nails have not broken in a few weeks. I have gone from using eye drops a few times a day to a few times a week. The down side of being off of Yaz is my skin has broken out more but I can deal with that better than all the other symptoms.

August 22, 2011 12:23 PM

For Birth Control: I took Yaz for 4 years and loved it up until about 6 months ago. Recently my breasts have been swollen and tender, I get headaches during my period and feel anxious.

August 9, 2011 1:08 PM

Review by mgysueee:

For Birth Control: I've used Yaz for 4 years now and I am switching because of the price but out of the 4 years Yaz was excellent. I never had weight gain, it helped with my acne and period were about 3 days long with lighter cramping than before I was on it. I would continue to use it if the price wasn't $89. So I love it and recommend it.

August 3, 2011 6:21 PM

For Birth Control: I have been on and off birth control for about 10 years. I've tried Mirena, Loestrin 24, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. I always had a little nausea, but Yaz was the first pill to make me vomit. I've been the same size for 10 years but while on Yaz I gained about 15 pounds and went up two cup sizes! I do have loss of appetite but I'm hungry all the time. What I mean is I don't want to eat but the hunger is so intense that I have to. My period was also never ending. But that may be due to me missing a few pills this month.

July 25, 2011 8:53 AM

For Birth Control: I have taken Yaz for 3 months now and it has not only given me bad break outs but it has made my period very irregular which has never been a problem for me. It varies from a week early to a week late.

July 21, 2011 12:39 AM

For Acne: Before I started taking birth control I have light-moderate acne. I originally started taking Alesse for contraceptive reasons, took that for 4 months, and it made my breakouts constant. I switched to Yaz, and within a week my acne was virtually gone. Towards the end of the month, around my period, the acne came back, but after the first week of the second pack, my acne was almost gone, and its been another full month and I only ever have an occasional break-out (usually a single pimple) that clears up in about a day or two.

July 19, 2011 1:19 AM

Review by cc_cc:

For Menstrual Disorders: My doctor recommended Yaz to me because of my PMS, cramps, and extremely irregular cycles. (I've been checked for lumps. There were none). For me, it is working okay as I only took 2 Midols this cycle! The side effects I have are increased sex drive, slightly bigger breasts, increased appetite, and dryness in my eyes. As a student, I find the pills a little bit too pricey, but overall I would recommend it. Except the dryness in my eyes are bad at night (contact wear-er).

July 10, 2011 12:25 PM

Review by VeroStar:

For Birth Control: I've been taking YAZ since 2009 and I really love it. It is wonderful. I feel great and the only problem I have is a light headache when I'm taking the white pills (last 4). But I really recommend this pill for birth control.

July 6, 2011 5:09 PM

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I had horrible PMDD that lasted 2 weeks every month that translates into half of my life. During PMDD I suffered from depression, fatigue, mood swings. I was a completely different person. It interfered with my work and I was calling in sick at least every other month. I am convinced my boss thought I was faking illness because of the frequency of calling in sick and I never "sounded" sick. Anyways, thanks to Yaz my life has changed so much for the better. Sometimes I will have a little PMS mood swing but nothing like before. My energy and moods stays consistent through the month now. It is wonderful to feel back in control of my emotions. Thanks Yaz.

June 24, 2011 11:19 AM

Review by JennaRub:

For Menstrual Disorders: Before I started using Yaz I was very scared because of all the bad things people had said. After finishing my first pack of Yaz and I noticed a lot of spotting and some odd bleeding now and then. I am 16 years old and had been switching pills for a while now because none of them seemed to suit me. I use Yaz for period pains ONLY and have noticed a huge improvement in my cramps, there still is some mild cramps but not near as bad as they were before. Already my breasts have gotten bigger which I don't really mind because I was near the smallest bra size you can get. My mood is completely fine. My skin has never been Acne prone but it hasn't broke out at all. I haven't noticed any side effects. I love this pill.

June 7, 2011 8:26 AM