User Reviews for Prozac

1.2
Summary of Prozac reviews 333 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Prozac

Review by lorrelly (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I started with a very low dose to treat depression - 10mg. I also had become quite the 'alcoholic'; binge drinking right down to the last drop. Had no motivation and lots of self pity. Prozac helped me recover my lost personality; gave me hope and curbed the drinking to full time sobriety. I take 20mg a day - I would suggest that folks give it two months before giving up. I'm glad I did. Nine months of no drinking and I work full time.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 4:33 PM

Review by piegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I am so happy that I finally received a diagnosis and treatment! Ever since I was about 19 years old (29 now) I have dealt with depression that came in waves. My anxiety and obsessive tendencies didn't begin until I was 22 and had the military. I always thought that the high stress situation just fed into my depression and caused anxiety and obsession. I finally decided to seek help and I was shocked to find out that I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder which causes depression and anxiety. I started on Prozac and within the first 6 weeks I felt a rush of relief. I no longer obsessed over the smallest things. I feel so much happier and my friends and family notice the difference big time!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 11:37 PM

Review by Simone1013 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Keeps my moods within a normal range. It allows me to experience sad feelings and happy feelings Does not leave me with a blank face or blank feelings, like other antidepressants did.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 6:13 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety and Stress: Had Panic attacks for 3 years until started on Prozac. Stopped after two weeks. Made a wonderful difference in my anxiety and depression.

January 14, 2015 6:54 PM

Review by eh11111:

For Depression: On 10 mg I stopped blushing, thought I became social. It helped for social anxiety even though I was taking it for depression. I don't know though, because I had panic attacks, muscle stiffness (dislocated my shoulder), was manic, heard vioces on 20mg. 20mg was extremely intense, blew my anxiety way up. Very scary.

December 20, 2014 5:24 AM

Review by EmBo333:

For Anxiety and Stress: I am one of the few people who doesn't suffer from some mixed form of depression & anxiety; I'm straight anxious. I have been on 10-20 mg Prozac for about 7 months now - starting was a little rocky in terms of heightened anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and nausea, but those leveled off after 3 wks. Now, in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and daily mental work, I have to say that this medicine really has helped me get to a place where I can actually implement permanent habits and positive thought cycles and RELAX, whereas before I had a lot of trouble not being stuck as a result of my ruminating, anxiety, fear, guilt, etc. It's also been really great for my marriage, and my husband has been a big teammate. It's been good.

December 8, 2014 2:26 PM

Review by Momshappy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I finally had the guts to mention my depression to my doctor, Thank God! I was depressed for years and was at the point of uncontrollable crying, missing work because of it. This was not the wife and mother I wanted to be so I finally asked for help. It has changed my life. No more depression and many things that used to cause me stress bother me much less or not at all. Not many side effects except fatigue, appetite loss, and a spacey feeling that only lasted a few days. Please don't wait to ask for help. I wish I had done this long ago.

December 2, 2014 9:46 AM

Review by rach-mae:

For Depression: I've battled depression for five years and anxiety since I was a kid. The first two weeks on Prozac, everything got ten times worse. I couldn't function or stop crying or hating myself. But after that, the depression subsided. I'm more confident, calm, and I shy from negative thoughts and sadness rather than welcoming those things like I used to. It has helped my depression an incredible amount, but I have seen a little less improvement in the anxiety (even with cognitive behavioral therapy). Side effects for me are lots of yawning and loss of appetite.

November 18, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by AuntiePoomPoom777:

For Depression: I've taken Prozac a few times starting at 22. That 1st time was a nightmare! I literally lost time- only remember crying all the time...I don't even remember how long I took it! But that WAS 25 yrs ago. So I was deathly afraid to try it again til about 6 yrs ago. That time it was a lifesaver! I felt my mood lift alot after a week, then even more after a month. These results lasted for several yrs with some sexual side effects, but less than with Zoloft & Lexapro (which also caused waking WIRED every 4 hrs). After a few yrs it felt like I was on nothing at all so I switched to Pristiq which again, saved my life. Now I'm back to Prozac. But I'm sure it's more about what's going on in my life. Nothing works without situations improving as well.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 1:14 PM

Review by kd3h (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've been on every antidepressant known to mankind and they were awful to me. Either the side effects were too bad or it turned me into a complete zombie to the point work was out of the question, and then my dr said we would try one more called Prozac and the reason he had not prescribed it before was because it took 6-8 weeks to reach full effect as where the others took less then half that time. I started out taking 10mg because I have always been very sensitive to antidepressants and their side effects. For about the first 2 or 3 weeks I experience light anxiety... Then finally the 6 weeks passed and still nothing, but then finally about 8 weeks into the mediation, I feel like Santa Clause on steroids! It has saved my life!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 12:42 PM

Review by Savedme:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have had 0 panic attacks all my life until last Oct when I got my 1st one which I called 911. 2 days later I had another one in which I was taken to the ER and given Ativan they said due to panic attack/anxiety. Scared me both times felt like I was dying. The nurse said she took Lexapro so I asked my doc to let me try that one first since the nurse had great luck, but I didn't like it! My coworker told me she takes Prozac so I switched meds to try it and WOW, not anxious like I want to pass out at the grocery store or in the middle of a packed restaurant! I have been taking 20mg and my doc said since I had such success he wants me on 40mg. This medication Prozac has let me live life again and not feel like I'm going to pass out in public.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by Lorenzo P:

For Depression: In 1995, I was miserable for no particular reason and was diagnosed with depression and prescribed Prozac. Great life, depression in check. In 2013, I weened myself off it because I didn't think I needed it anymore. As luck would have it, I hit a period of challenging events in life that they brain interpreted as trauma. To cope, I began drinking a little which evolved into daily. I concluded that I had gone off Prozac, decreased self control and created a personal crisis. I'm back on Prozac and my moods have leveled off and I so far have the ability to abstain. I won't go off it again.

November 14, 2014 6:32 PM

Review by Male 47:

For Depression: I started on 20 mg of Prozac for GAD. The first two weeks have been hell - insomnia, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, and anxiety. The side effects seem to be subsiding. Now more balanced than before.

November 9, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by jonathon1990:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I treated my major depression with any type of narcotics or benzos. I was so depressed just wanted to die. But I found Prozac. Now loving life clean sober and happy. Please try this medication. 40 mg 1xday. Free at local health department

November 1, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by CamiK:

For Depression: I've been taking fluoxetine for 6 months now. I started taking at night after my first day due to drowsiness. I wake up periodically through out the night. My dr says it's not the medicine. But it has to be. I haven't had a good nights sleep in months! & I've always loved to sleep. The medicine works awesome though

November 1, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by wer2:

For Major Depressive Disorder: The best SSRI, beat depression, anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

October 24, 2014 1:15 AM

Review by luv1977 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I suffered horribly with post partum depression and severe anxiety for 2 years after the birth. Felt so terrible. All the time, felt like I couldn't do anything. Everything overwhelmed me. Tried Prozac and didn't notice a difference for 2 weeks, then slowly started feeling calmer and could somewhat focus on tasks and errands. I started supplements, vitamin D3 and fish oil. Felt more relief with this combination of Prozac and supplements. Noticed a lift of mood and sleep was once again welcomed instead of torture. I had severe insomnia during my Depression. All I can say is I've been on this combination for 5 almost 6 years and felt much better. My heart goes out to anyone suffering from this illness.

October 23, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by Raya1128:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Saved my life.

October 22, 2014 4:38 PM

Review by LoveMiami:

For Depression: I'm on week one and I feel a difference already. Been depressed for years on and off. Finally felt strong enough to share my story with someone and was diagnosed severe depression. I always thought the way out of depression is to fix was is bothering you and everything will be fine. 6 Years later, I missed out on fun, laughter and family. Won't let time fly by anymore. I hope I continue to want to go outside, meet people and lose weight. I will keep you posted.

October 20, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by liked prozac (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Prozac for approx 25 years. Whenever I try to get off of it I never feel as good as I do when I take it. I recommend this medicine to treat depression, anxiety, bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder and stress.

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by delarla123:

For Anxiety and Stress: I feel good...not great...but better than before. I can't lose weight and I am on 40mg.

October 10, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by Dave UK:

For Depression: I've been taking this now for about six weeks. At first it worked well, but for the last two weeks it seems to have stopped working. I've been taking ten tablets a day for the last 6 days, that's 200mg daily, of fluoxetine and it does nothing. I'm going to call my doctor and ask to try something else.

October 5, 2014 11:30 AM

Review by aem0020 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: Prozac worked wonders for my anxiety and mild depression. I always struggled with PMS-related anxiety, but after some big life changes, morning anxiety was more and more frequent and my motivation and drive to accomplish anything was low. I didn't want to get out of bed, even though nothing was wrong with my life. I just had an overarching feeling of hopelessness. Went to the doctor and she prescribed 20mg. Had bad nausea the first two weeks, then it went away, but I was still struggling with anxiety some mornings. She bumped me up to 40mg, and although it's only been a few days, I can totally tell a difference. I'm more motivated, happy and content. No anxiety. No nausea. Grateful for this med. I feel good for the first time in awhile.

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by spinelessplague:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been an anxiety/depression patient for 5 years now. Have taken all kinds of medicines have had stints of quitting only to fall back on the meds, went medication free for 3 full months before symptoms began to show again. can honestly say that FOR ME Prozac has allowed me to live life. At my worst I wasn't even able to go in a store even if it was only for one item. Now I can take my kids grocery shopping with no issues. Like I said FOR ME this has worked.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Kissoflife123:

For Depression: It made me crazy. I couldn't eat or sleep or sit still.

September 19, 2014 5:31 PM