User Reviews for Prozac

7.6
Postpartum Depression 2 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Prozac reviews 459 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Prozac

For Anxiety and Stress "In about 1996 I started Prozac for 13 years and then it stopped working, I was on 2 different meds since then but the last one caused excessive body sweating to the point where I could not work as I work with the public. I just went back on Prozac 3 days ago and I already feel so calm and rational. When I was on it for those 13 years my doctor said I was the poster child for Prozac as I had no symptoms. So far I do not have any. I love Prozac."

RemiB January 29, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I've recently started taking prozac and have never been on an ssri before but have always thought I needed one for my constant worrying thoughts and random depression. I haven't been taking it for very long and already feel like a weight has been lifted. I feel happier and it's easier to get rid of my bad thoughts that previously consumed my life. I feel better than I've ever felt amd wish I would have tried it sooner!"

Aj2817 January 24, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I started taking Prozac 4 weeks ago ... For symptoms of menopause ...... I can't take HRT as I've had cancerous cells in my cervix which is why I had a hysterectomy .. Anyway I was having palpitations panic attacks stress and anxiety forgetting words very emotionally up and down .. I also suffer from PTS from a violent childhood .. I have to say I've been so much happier and settled in my mind this is definitely working for me ."

Vicky1202 January 19, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I had a horrible experience with Prozac. I was actually very excited when my doctor decided it would be the next anti-depressant medication I tried, because it gets so much good publicity. Hell, there's even a memoir called "Prozac Nation." Upon beginning my daily regimen of prozac, I had increased anxiety (too the point that I was having uncontrollable heart palpitations, dizzy spells, trouble breathing -- I couldn't eat, and got down to 100lbs on accident) and my suicidal ideation increased to the point that I made a very serious suicide attempt. Thanks to quick intervention, speedy response from paramedics, and a life flight I am alive today. Be careful, and be aware of side effects."

afay January 18, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed the generic form of Prozac and at 2.5 weeks, my depression became more severe. I began feeling hopeless. Worse I have felt in a very long time. I'm glad to hear that most people find improvement, but wanted to share my experience"

Faithdeshea (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I started generic brand of Prozac more than 3-4 years ago. I started at 20mg and am still on that same dose. Before Prozac, I lost almost 50 pounds because I didn't eat. I was depressed and always anxious. I was afraid of weird things, like taking a shower because I thought I would fall and die. I was afraid to win the lottery ( never would happen anyway lol) I never had anything like this in my life! I was newly wed, and just had baby. So I guess it was normal to have those feelings. Prozac has been great. first few weeks on it I had increased anxiety. Worse thing is I gained about 75-80 pounds !!"

Matt127 January 17, 2016

For Depression "I am beginning my fourth week on 20mg Fluoxetine taken each morning. I am recovering from a long term abusive relationship with a Narcissist. I have a head injury that predisposes me to fatigue. I asked the doctor to help me with my energy levels. I did not admit it but the underlying feeling I had was that 'everything was too much' and 'nothing matters anyway'. But nobody would have guessed how hopeless I had become. And had been for at least 10 years. Initially I experienced all of the symptoms people warn about in the first few weeks. Insomnia and occassional extreme anxiety were the worst. Now I feel enthused about taking things one at a time and am enjoying the process. I have begun to sleep normally again. So far, so good."

Blinky1 January 15, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been using 40 mg of prozac daily for almost a year now, I went from the worst I've ever been, crying all the time never being able to stop thinking about how much I hated myself life and everything about life, I was not eating, was so full of rage and hate and had the most negative mindset towards everything, like every second of my life was hell and pointless seeming, I wished I was dead (although would never actually kill myself for my families sake) and after about 2 or 3 weeks of taking the prozac everything got so much better it was like it flipped a switch in my head and the negative thoughts went away and I actually felt good and happy which I thought was so impossible to feel, taking these meds was the best thing I've ever done"

Auma13 January 15, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I have had general anxiety for as long as I can remember, and it started really interfering with my daily life and relationships. My doctor put me on prozac with 20mg dosages. The first 1-2 weeks I did have a bit of nausea so it was hard eating in the mornings, but that's the only side effect I noticed. It helped me get rid of anxious thoughts that had once wrecked my life, and made me calm without ridding me of my outgoing and bubbly personality. That made me really happy. However I have now been on it for almost 3 months and I am noticing a large decrease in sex drive. It has started effecting my relationship so I'm currently looking at other options. Other than that I would recommend. :)"

jenjen199 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

For Depression "My genius psychiatrist started me on this drug in the fall of 2008. The first few weeks I felt even worse than before I had started taking the fluoxetine. After many months on the drug I was eventually taking 400mg a day, and having manic thoughts & episodes. My psychiatrist decided I was bi-polar and then started me on seroquel (rather than give me a break for my nervous system to re-adjust to it's natural state), which I also ended up taking for about 6 months and at about the same dose. In retrospect I wish I hadn't taken either fluoxetine(Prozac) or seroquel(Quetiapine)."

seiji (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2016

For Depression "I have been taking Prozac now for 20 plus years. Originally was told by MD that it would be temporary but my experience has been after trying to be off it for several months, that I need to go back on it. I put myself under depression but I had anxiety, too, after the birth of my first child. I developed a real neurosis about sleep, i.e., I couldn't shut my brain off at night and had insomnia, became afraid I'd never sleep again. Being on the lowest dose of Prozac helped me I would say, completely. At three weeks I despaired of ever feeling normal again and by the fourth week saw a real improvement, by six weeks was very happy and relieved. It may be losing its effectiveness somewhat after all these years."

Goodbyeblues January 5, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I combine thid pill (20mg) with adderall 20mg and it has really helped me with the aderrall's withdraw (anxiety/desperation/bad mood/even suicidal thoughts). At first I didnt felt like it was doing something to me, but I have observed during this month that I no longer have panic attacks that adderall used to provoke in me"

College student (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2015

For Depression "I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for over a year, I finally decided to look for help because I was feeling really numb and hating my life, just feeling like a failure. I am on my 5th week and I am still waiting for my mood to improve, I read some people say it might take 6-8 weeks to start kicking in and I cannot wait to feel better and have positive thoughts again. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated."

Latindude41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2015

For Depression "About 2 years ago, I took 20mg Prozac for suspected depression for approx. 4 months. I experienced the slightest lift in my mood for about 3 days during the course of treatment. Otherwise, I experienced severe anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, random bouts of euphoria, and, worst of all, incredibly gruesome nightmares. I have no military experience and I am not in a medical/emergency field. I have never been exposed to blood/gore through anything except basic cable and an occasional scary movie. But, I just want to warn as many people as I can that this drug can cause the most brutal, disgusting nightmares a person can experience. I woke up sweating and crying/trying to scream hysterically. I stopped taking it and never looked back."

Amanda J December 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I have taken prozac for one year and three months. It has helped me a lot. Right now I am weaning myself off of this drug slowly, but lately I have felt mild anxiety due to no sleeping. And also mild stomach problems. I'm not sure if its part of the withdrawal process."

chela31 December 12, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I started on 20 mg and increased to 40 mg for anxiety and depression. I cannot praise this drug enough for how calm it makes me feel. I feel like I can handle any problem, big or small with a clear head. Thank you Prozac for giving my life back to me."

TracyinOhio December 8, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "For the first time I've been on Prozac. I talked to my provider and we decided it was the best this is my second week. I didn't realized I suffered from OCD intrusive thoughts Now those are gone, I feel tired and sleepy which is rare on me, I am taking other meds as well so I do not know if I should attribute this to Prozac or not. So far seems like it was a good idea. I am monitoring my behaviours being mindful about what I am doing not in a OCD way though."

gibb December 6, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I've been on and off Prozac for the last few years. I didn't think it was working, but after I started taking mental notes, I realized that I was doing much better on it. I have been dealing with chronic anxiety and PTSD which has, in turn, led me into depression. Based on my experience, I think it's important to note that depression lifting is not like flipping a switch. It takes time for the medicine to work. Now that I've been taking it routinely and not missing a dose, I've noticed that my "baseline" mood is MUCH better. It happens subtly like a thick fog slowly lifting. I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, but if you're not having side effects and you've only been on it for a short time, be patient and give it a chance."

CBEARS December 2, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "hi everyone, I went on Prozac about a year ago after I saw how well it helped my boyfriend. We met two years ago and I knew he was suffering but didn't know from what. He and I were soon diagnosed with OCD. I was so weary of taking any meds and especially any that said "weight gain as a side effect" because of my obsessive compulsive behavior with my appearance. one day my bf said its okay if you gain a couple if anything you need too said in the nicest way. So I finally gave in and started at 10 mg I later went up to 20 mg and I noticed I didn't seem to be beating myself up everyday maybe only every few days. I didn't gain any weight and it even helped with my binge eating disorder. it also helped my more "intense" feelings to "normal"."

berfella (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I've been taking this for almost 2 years now and I'd say it has helped me tremendously. I was on a few others before this and it just didn't work out."

Geekdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2015

For Depression "I have had depression for many years and I always avoided thinking about taking medication but I just started taking Prozac and it's already helping I'm more awake and everything seems brighter it's easier to get rid of negative thoughts and the weight on my chest is gone"

Female 15 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "First week was hell, more anxiety and panic attacks. Had to leave work early one day for the anxiety, also left a family event early. But now... Starting second week and starting to feel like myself again! As long as things continue this way will be happy on this drug! Without the first weeks' side effects would give it a 10."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, and anxiety, I have never felt more calm and in-control of my emotions. Usually every night I'd fall into a fit of thinking of self-harm, I have thought of them no more, I still get sad, but it's sadness, not full on depression. My anxiety has decreased so much, I still get nervous, but it is not even close to how bad it was. An added bonus, is for me, it makes me drowsy, so I get more sleep. I have never been so happy in my life. Prozac is a life saver."

sunflowersareyourbestfriend November 23, 2015

For Bulimia "I used to constantly think about food.. My thoughts would be racing whether to stuff my face or not eat at all. When I started 40 mg Prozac, it took a while and until I realized I didn't think about it anymore! Very glad my mind is off food for once!"

Pillz_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on this medication for around 12 years 60mg a day for OCD and depression, it got me out of a very very deep hole, got me back to work able to function got me back as a normal person, u fortuantly i used alcohol and recreational drugs aswell which made me riddled with anxiety and depression, im clean and sober 8years now and am still on the prozac, iv recently had a low episode and i was self medicating with my prozac as and when i needed, obviously this wasnt the greatest ideas and this has led me back to being depressed again but im back on 40mg of prozac a day, i may feel like i have gone back to the begining of it all but i havent iv just had a little set back in my recovery, all in all prozac for me is a life saver"

Taximan42 (taken for 10 years or more) November 20, 2015