User Reviews for Paxil

Depression 104 reviews 77 medications

7.2
Summary of Paxil reviews 450 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Paxil

For Panic Disorder "I suffer from debilitating panic attacks. Just 10 mg of Paxil works wonders. I've tried almost every SSRI out there, but Paxil is the only one that works. Nothing else can touch my panic."

Cat65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

For Depression "Overall I'd say it worked for a bit. Not sure if I should have had my dosage increased when the side effects started back up, or if it was because I messed up my scheduling for taking it. It put my anxiety through the roof. More anxiety than I'd ever had naturally. I got it mostly for depression/possible bipolar, and it worked for the most part until the side effects kicked in, save for the random swells of depression that wouldn't last for more than two hours but felt so much worse than the stable depression I've had for years. I'd recommend it for someone who's better at keeping appointments than I am."

Briana H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "Have tried many antidepressants. This has been absolutely terrible. Worst side effects I have ever experienced. Feels like I have the flu...very disappointed"

jv2345 February 1, 2016

For Anxiety "Paxil has become my latest drug to combat frontal traumatic brain injury (tbi). benzo drugs works good. but they thought they were addicting. well just look up all the people that have tried to quit paxil!!!. Its a nightmare. In my opinion these drugs should be banned to treat people with TBI!!!. If you want to take a drug and later it quits working, what are you going to do? good luck because TBI sucks and there is nothing besides benzo drugs that help. I have had mild TBI for 36 years. Don't let them get you on paxil. I think its bad but don't believe only me - look on the iternet before you take them. I sure wish i did!!!. Good luck its the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. "

miltary January 31, 2016

For Anxiety "Started 20mg of paxil 3 weeks ago after coming of effexor. At the moment I get a lot of anxiety throughout the day & sweating. Hope this starts to go soon as its still very early days."

minnie58 January 31, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "This med works great I had a lot of anxiety and hard time dealing with work, kids and my wife. I am totally in control now and can deal with a lot more issues at once...great results"

police officer with family January 29, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Paxil is making me calmer, but not lessening depression. However, I only have been on it one week. I will give it more time. Side effects are fatigue, weight gain, and headache. I feel that this drug would be best for someone with aggression. I also take 1 mg Klonopin which is also sedating. Paxil and alcohol don't mix well."

wannabbetter (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "Took Paxil for 1 year (at the end was taking 50mg a day) for severe anxiety, OCD and PTSD. It was a life saver. Stopped crying so easily, stopped yelling at my kids, stopped being so moody. After about 6 months I noticed I was not laughing anymore, no sex drive, weight gain. I stayed on it. When I hit the year mark I decided I wanted to get off of it. I told my doctor and she suggested staying on it. Nope. I quit taking it. I took 2 days of 40mg, 2 days of 20 mg, 2 days of 10th and then nothing. 3 days after that I thought I would die. Chills, extreme nausea, sweating, hysterical crying or laughing, Twitching in my arms in legs, weird noises in the back of my head. I thought I was going crazy. Decided to go back on Paxil. 20 mg."

C. Sanchez (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 27, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I was on paxil 40mg for 13 years and decided ( like an idiot ) that I didn't need it anymore, withdrew from the paxil and it was hard!!! 3 months later was in a whirlwind of emotion, anxiety, panic, and fear!!! Didn't leave my house for 4 months!!!! I used to go to the beach to destress all of the time, couldn't even do that! Went to Dr, and he tried me on lexapro, effexor, and prozac, horrible 3 months of my life with all the side effects! Finally decided myself to go back on paxil! Within a months time I'm back to working 2 jobs, my family is more happy, I AM WAY LESS STRESSED, and the anxiety is 3/4 gone!!!! Please if anyone fighting with stress and anxiety or panic take the paxil!!! I did great for me both times"

Hopeful900 January 25, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I started Paxil 15 years ago after a stroke. Lately felt maybe it's not as effective my Dr switched me to 40 mg of celexa same as my Paxil. After six days on the new one I felt like I was having problems with weakness on one side and felt like I didn't have long to live etc. so got myself into a big panic attack. Back on Paxil for now feeling better."

Josie671 January 25, 2016

For Anxiety "I took it for a week and could fall asleep at the drop of a hat...and I couldn't afford to being like that. If you had to work all day all week and sometimes be up during the night. Paxil may work for some, but made me WAY to drowsy. My psychiatrist switched me over to 100mg Zoloft and while that was somewhat better, she also put me on a 150mg Wellbutrin (zoloft Wellbutrin commonly called "Welloft"). Paxil was no good to me and quite possibly the worst to get off of."

OCD+GAD+PDD (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

For Depression "Paxil saved my life!! After marriage breakup and 3 children, a newborn and loss of home I went from 60kg to 44kg in 3 months, I couldn't eat or function. Started paxil, 1 month later woke up and felt fantastic, like I could conquered the world, got a job, had baby in day care, sold my car which I used for a house deposit, went for loan, success!! The kids are happy, studied achieved Bachelors degree, ALL WITH THE HELP OF PAXIL!!, please give this wonder drug time to work, took me 1 month and changed my life. Still on Paxil 10 years later and doing well in life, what a miracle drug, where would I have ended up without Paxil..."

paxillover (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 21, 2016

For Anxiety "This medication has been extremely helpful to me. 7 months ago, I developed IBS, which made me very nervous about my stomach. I slowly became nervous about everything, not knowing that my anxiety was more than just " little worries." I was afraid to go to important events, thinking something bad could suddenly happen to me all the time. My mother was noticing these changes in my personality, so then made me go to a therapist. That was when I was suggested to be put on Paxil. I was afraid to take Paxil, but when I was finally forced to, I noticed changes within a week with just 5mg. I moved up to 10mg, and everyone could see changes in how I acted everywhere. I am currently still on 10mg, but even a little can do a lot, even for you!"

KA2353 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Anxiety "I have tried most SSRIs and some SNRIs. Paxil was indeed the most effective for me with my anxiety symptoms. By now you have probably read the horror stories on the internet about coming off of it. Indeed this happened to me. It was horrible. I went off of it because I thought I was better and ended up off of work because my symptoms got so bad. This was because I was being followed by a GP who did not know about discontinuation syndrome (early 2000s). However, I wouldn't write this drug off necessarily. After the discontinuation hell I experienced I was referred to a psychiatrist who used the taper to Prozac method to get me off of Paxil.This method worked for me. Hope this may help someone to know about it."

upatreereadingabook (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I was diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder three years ago. I have tried ever antidepressant out there. None ever gave me relief except for paxil. I truly credit paxil for saving my sanity, and stopping most of my panic attacks. Although I still have anxiety from time to time, it is nothing I can't manage. I've been taking 40 mgs of paxil for about 9 months. I finally feel like my normal self again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

For Depression "I'm 21 years of age and up to now, I've been taking 20 mg for the past 9 months. Since I was 16 or so I've suffered from, at least in the beginning what some may call 'smiling' depression, and what followed was chronic depression in my 20s. At 17-18 years of age I participated in cognitive behavioural therapy (coping mechanisms). I suffered frequent panic / anxiety attacks, suicidal thoughts, etc. 19-21 went to college. Chronic depression hit hard and they put me on 20 mg Paxil. I have never felt better in my life. Usually it is difficult to realise when one is in such a state, and now that I can see things "clearly", I've excelled in school and in other social conditions. In Europe, the Gov't produces Paxil without a brand name. Cheap."

Lily-Rose January 11, 2016

For Anxiety "Paxil works great for me but it took 3 months for it to work. That's not surprising however my body has always taken a long time to get used to/accept drugs. My start up side effects were extreme fatigue, excessive yawning, derealization, depersonalization, depression and apathy(apathy and depression could've been a result for the anxiety and not the paxil) . One day while at work it just hit me and I started feeling better happier but not 100%. I'm currently at 30mg which seems to work fine. The only bad thing about being on Paxil for me is the sexual side effects(it is really hard to climax! uhg) Otherwise, I feel fine. In fact, I even have vivid dreams, which for me is nice, and more energy."

Msavvy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2016

For Anxiety "Took a single Paxil pill and felt immediately sick within two hours or taking it. This "sick" feeling lasted for a solid week. I thought that I probably just got the flu at the same time I started taking Paxil, so I tried it again. Nope, still made me feel sick. I didn't think it was possible to get every single common side effect listed from taking one pill, but I guess I was wrong."

Alwaysanxious December 30, 2015

For Depression "I 've taken paxil in the early 90s .After a bad relationship and drinking lots. It has helped with social anxiety to a point. But I have gone through crying periods that didn't seem right. It's soon to be Jan 1 2016 and I have noticed these electric shocks if I miss a day or 2. And also my memory has gone to crap as well . Is this drug habit forming Yes I'm a recovering cocaine addict and free base addict. I got off that but this plays with your brain worse ! We should be compensated for the use as guinea pigs and the torture we face to get off this medicine it does work but too much is unknown. "

countryswagget (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2015

For Depression "I've taken 40 mg of paxil for anxiety and depression for 14 years and it was life changing. Slowly it hasn't been as effectIve and recently I felt as though I hadn't been taking anything at all. Now I'm back to where I was before paxil and feeling like an emotional mess. My Dr just increased my paxil to 50 mg and then if that doesn't work, she may have me try something else. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?"

Missy_74 (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2015

For Depression "After going through a hurtful breakup and loosing my job I fell into darkness, life lost intrerest. I decided to try antidepressants. Doc prescribed Paxil. I read the reviews, most say it helps after taking it for awhile. Yesterday I took it at night. I couldn't sleep at all, after 3 hours I started to feel very weak, my head was heavy, I had an urge to stretch my whole body, lost appetite, but I did feel happier. Because it affects your serotonin, I started to think about my relationship more. All day I couldn't get out of bed, felt very weak, couldn't even walk, sleepy but can't sleep. Horrific feeling. Although I hear it helps eventually, I don't think it's worth the side effects. Bad experience."

FNYC (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I have experienced anxiety for about 16 years. It took me 12 years to find paxil and I thank God for it. I was such a mess! Because of anxiety I developed agoraphobia couldn't get out of the house, be around people at all, consequently depression followed. My poor husband stuck with me through all of it. I have taken every antidepressant that's out there none of them worked, they made me zombie like. 3 days into paxil I came alive, all that noise and constant fear on the back of my mind quieted down. I could not believe it!! I had more energy because I didn't feel emotionally and physically drained any more. I finally could be in the moment and take it all in!!! I feel like I can do anything, before paxil I felt like a constant failure."

Pheobe734 December 11, 2015

For Anxiety "I have always had anxiety ever since Iwas young but this past summer I was so bad I couldn't go anywhere or do anything. I was even at the point I didn't want to leave the house I was so depressed. I didn't know what I was going to do and I was ruining my daughters and husbands life so I went to the doctor and she put me on paxil 30 mg. I didn't want to take it cause I never take pills not even for a headache and was scared how it was going to make me feel. But I took it and it changed my life after about a month I could go places and enjoyed life again with God and my family's help I am doing so much better I still have some days I don't feel good but i don't let it get me down so if anyone is struggling with anxiety there is help out there"

heavenly sunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

For Anxiety "This pill has changed my life. I had no idea how bad I suffered from anxiety until I started taking this. I take 20mg a day and after a month I noticed a huge change. It's been 2 months now and I feel like myself again. I'm so glad I decided to see my doctor and get help. I can't believe I lived for so long being so miserable. I have so much fun now doing things I couldn't do when dealing with my anxiety. I love going out and meeting new people when before I could barely leave the house to grab the mail without having crazy fears. I am able to talk about my anxiety openly to anyone now too which is a huge change. The only problem I have is sleeping, which my doctor had to prescribe another drug for that."

Jenb13 December 4, 2015

For Depression "It helped withy my anxiety, which didn't go away but became manageable. I didn't see any improvements with my depression (my main symptoms are anhedonia and fatigue, the last one actually worsened). Getting out of 40mg was ok, just felt a bit anxious in the first days. I took paxil ~ 2 months"

El Cid (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2015