User Reviews for Paxil

Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paxil reviews 323 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Paxil

Review by bbm23242 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I've been prescribed and taking Paxil for about 3 months now. At first I was nervous about because of the reviews on it saying there would be no sex life and I'm currently in a relationship and have been for 2 years. I'm taking Paxil for anxiety. My sex life hasn't changed at all. Paxil has completely taken away my anxiety and I feel awesome. Give it a shot.

July 17, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by Amandaaaaa:

For Depression: First off I just want to say, please don't be alarmed/afraid when you read that your going to gain a tremendous amount of weight while taking Paxil. Not saying by any means anybody is lying nor the information they provide about this medicine is false. Everybody is different and will receive different results. I almost contacted my physician right away, in demands I obtain a different medication after hearing about the weight gain, however, I gave it a fair chance. I did NOT want to a eat a thing while on Paxil and my friends already noticed I've dropped a significant amount of weight. Please don't avoid this medication because of freight about weight gain because it might very well not happen! My social anxiety also vanished.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by Wonder Drug For Me (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Paxil twice in my life. When I was teenager, my doctor prescribed me Paxil to control depression. I was on it until I started my Master's. I stopped taking it because I did not think that I needed it anymore. For about five to six years, I wasn't taking Paxil, but I noticed that my anxiety got worse. It got so bad that I began to get panic attacks almost every morning. I also developed an ulcer and was diagnosed with severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My doctor decided to place me back on Paxil. After being on for 6 months, I feel absolutely wonderful. I still get anxious every once in awhile but not to the point that I feel as though I'm going to have a panic attack. I've also been able to control my panic attacks on my own.

July 13, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by Mattyb78:

For Anxiety: Numbs your emotions. Which is fine if you like your positive emotions numb too. Not a serious solution to mental problems, just a way to cover them up. Dont listen to the doctor who tells you to halve your pill every week, you need to taper your dose by 10% and only drop again after about 6 weeks. Please don't listen to opinions of people who have been on this for only a couple of weeks!

July 8, 2014 4:09 AM

Review by ThrashingThrasher (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: I've been on Paxil since I was 5, I'm almost 20 now. I've had really bad anxiety my entire life. I started at 5mg daily, as I got older, my dosage slowly increased to 20mg, which is my current dose. I had a few bad life experiences when I was younger that caused my anxiety to increase tenfold, so my DR tried to swap the Paxil for something else. Bad idea, none of the other SSRIs worked; I had a severe increase in anxiety and side effects, so he put me back on the Paxil. Paxil has been the only pill to help my anxiety and I haven't had any side effects from it.

July 5, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: To the person who recommended NeoCitran, do not take NeoCitran if you're taking Paxil or any other SSRI, unless the form of NeoCitran doesn't contain Dextromethorphan. These two medicines have a major interaction that could cause serotonin syndrome, which is relevant to my review of Paxil. My experience with Paxil so far hasn't been the best. Side effects have been pretty bad, and as I also have ADHD, taking both Paxil and Vyvanse has lead to some serotonin syndrome-like symptoms. I got mild serotonin syndrome a few days after I started taking Paxil, because I had been taking both Paxil and Vyvanse in the morning. I find that if I take Paxil at least 12 hours after Vyvanse, the side effects are minimal and haven't had any further problems.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 12:40 AM

Review by cinzach:

For Depression: Loved this medicine, helped me a lot. Problem is I got glaucoma.

June 25, 2014 12:03 AM

Review by Female40 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Have been on Paxil 20-60mg for 11 years and have found that while I still experience depressive episodes, occasionally suicidal ideas, I tend to recover faster- weeks instead of months. I've also experienced weight gain 30+ lbs, high blood pressure, constant dry mouth, lack of libido and difficulty with orgasms. These side effects have affected my marriage and self-esteem and am currently slowly weaning off Paxil.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 5:35 AM

Review by Anamax:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I can honestly say, after years and years of dealing with my anxiety, leaving school to be homeschooled, not being able to function and just accomplish and do the things I wanted to do, being a slave to anxiety every second of my life, finally at 18, after a year of what has been the worst anxiety of my life, I made the decision to take Paxil. 26 days on the medicine and I can honestly say it has changed my life, and saved it. I have never felt so wonderful in my entire life, anxiety does not exist in my life or control me anymore, I am now in control, and it was such a beautiful relief to have such an incredible outcome.

June 11, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by JToni (taken for 10 years or more):

For Panic Disorder: I've been on Paxil since I was 19. I am now 34. This medication has saved my life. I have read a ton of negative comments about Paxil and I truly believe it is not for everyone. It either works great or not. For me life before Paxil was horribly scary. I had massive panic disorder and was sheltered in my home all the time. I used to struggle with a few of the side effects of Paxil such as decreased sex drive and the feeling of nausea. However I have learned over the last 15 years of being on it, how to change the side effects through other positive reinforcements such as meditation and positive thinking. I no longer have the side effects. Perhaps 15 year has helped with that too. I stayed on Paxil when I had all three of my children.

May 30, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by JohannesB (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I wonder if anyone can relate to my experience with Paxil. During about 17 years of severe depression and anxiety, no medication (I've tried them all) seemed to help and the ones that did, brought along unbearable side effects. ECT didn't help either. Paxil is the only pill that really works for me, but it makes me slightly manic. Combining it with a mood stabiliser works perfect %u2013 but only for 6 months. After that, it's depression all over again. After waiting for another 6 months, I can start using Paxil in combination with a mood stabiliser again, with good results that always only lasts for 6 months. This 6 months on/6 months off has become a very predictable pattern over the years.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2014 2:49 PM

Review by Cymro:

For Anxiety: This really works. Been on it for a week and now feeling much less anxious. My anxiety was pretty bad, couldn't get through the work day without an anxiety/panic attack. Saw a Dr and since then this medicine has really helped.

May 23, 2014 6:57 AM

Review by orchidr:

For Anxiety: I started to use Paroxetine since May 8, 2014, my experience until now is great, the pill helps me to relax and calm, I was like very anxious all the time. What I like is that the pill does not make me feel sleepy, I feel much better.

May 20, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by JNoonie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: I took Paxil for 5 years for severe panic attacks and anxiety. I got to the point where I could barely leave the house without anxiety. I was on 20 mg once a day and it worked wonders for me. I felt "normal" for the first time in years. HOWEVER... I gained 50 lbs. I decided to get off and weaned myself very slowly but still had withdrawal symptoms: brain zaps, severe headaches, dizzy, restless, faint, weak and the list goes on. I have been off for 5 months now and still have symptoms.

May 18, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Soundchain (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Really worked for me, paroxetine definitely took the edge off and lessened anxiety symptoms. Would still have benzodiazepine as needed but this was 1-2 per month. Great antidepressant for anxiety & panic disorder.

May 17, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by Anxiety16 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Paxil is very effective. I struggled with anxiety for a year and Paxil is the only thing that helped.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I started Paxil after being off antidepressants for a couple of months for bad anxiety and depression. This medication made me feel like a million bucks within the first couple of weeks. I was able to get up on time, didn't feel tired, and was exceedingly happy. Unfortunately, I had to get off of it because it caused bad Restless Leg Syndrome for me.

May 12, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by Craig_29:

For Anxiety: It really works wonders. I've been on it for almost a week and I'm just so calm and chilled. My anxiety started getting really, really bad. To the point where I'd cry over nothing almost. I'd sit and stress over the most trivial matters, but in my mind they were huge and irreparable. I'd stopped eating, it freak out on my own etc. Being social became a huge issue and rationalizing that everything would be okay didn't work anymore. Eventually I bit the bullet and saw a Dr and since then this medicine has really been an absolute blessing.

May 11, 2014 12:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Great medicine. I suffer minor depression and anxiety. Have my whole life. I been taking this almost 2 years. If you want to stop taking this medicine, lean off it really slow. I'm taking 20mg in the morning and at night.

May 10, 2014 4:17 AM

Review by quackers 2:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've been on Paxil for about the past four years. It helps stabilize my depression, which I've had for many years. It doesn't make me happy, but at least I can function and feel like a normal person. It is one of two medications that have helped me at all (the other being Celexa, but that one made me gain extreme weight). The only negative thing is that I gained some weight months after taking it. Despite a few extra pounds, I'll keep taking it.

April 25, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Stressed Momma (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I experienced severe postpartum depression after my twins were born, actually it started after I stopped breastfeeding them. My hormones were all over the place. I was sleep deprived and suicidal. Paxil worked great on my depression, but I had negative side effects. First of all, it really flattened my emotional response. Nothing much upset me, but nothing made me excited either. I had zero sex drive and could not achieve orgasm at all. I also gained a lot of weight in a very short amount of time. Also, I had trouble falling asleep. I switched to Wellbutrin, and actually lost weight. I would still have difficulty coping some days, but it was manageable, and no negative side effects.

April 11, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by m.brown (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Works fast. After 2 hours will make your mind clear. Like you are a different person.

March 27, 2014 9:23 AM

Review by Aerospace747 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Been taking Paxil 40mg since November 2007, works absolutely fine. Treated my major depression without any complications, did not affect my sex life, at first its hard to have an orgasm, but over time, its as fast as you want them. Medication however did cause some minor hair thinning and hair loss in my front head area, treating it with Minoxidil 2.5mg once a day. Otherwise medication works absolutely great for major depression mostly. Doctors have advised that its hard to get off this medication on your own, do not attempt to discontinue the medication on your own once you've been on it for a long period, consult with your doctor.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2014 2:04 AM

Review by PanicednotManic (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: I have taken Paxil on and off my entire adult life. I have always stuck to a low dose at 10MG a day. I do not have depression, I am just a very sensitive especially in times of high stress, and panic attacks start to take over my life. I had to put my degree on hold, I missed out on vacations with my family, and my professional life suffered as well. Paxil calms my nerves. It keeps me in check so I don't freak out in times of stress. The side effects do exist, but keeping a low dose helps. My libido is affected a bit, I do get dizzy from time to time, and I also have dry mouth. At 10mg a day, once I feel like I am in control again (usually 8 months to a year of being on the medicine) I can stop without any of the bad withdrawals.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2014 1:56 PM

Review by TaraB_B:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: Started on Effexor. Lost my mind. Was put on Celexa (20mg) and lived my life. Things were okay. I had anxiety still, but it was controlled. Didn't care much about anything. But my anxiety was controlled. That went on for 2 years. Just over a month ago, I saw a new doctor (insurance changed and previous doctor didn't accept it). She pushed me to try Paxil. I replaced my 20mg of Celexa with 10mg of Paxil for 2 days, then went to 20mg Paxil. No issues at all. I am so happy I did it. I am a completely different person. When I say anxiety was controlled on Celexa, I'll tell you I have NO anxiety on Paxil. I haven't thought about it at all. I leave, drive, hang out with my friends, go do everything that not even Celexa allowed me to do.

March 13, 2014 1:08 AM