User Reviews for Paxil

Depression 110 reviews 79 medications

7.2
Summary of Paxil reviews 483 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Paxil

For Anxiety and Stress "Hello, Paxil ruined my life. The first month was great and then is turned horrible, like horrible. If I missed one pill I would get the most horrendous serotonin withdraw, so horrible my fore head would burn, nose would run, I would snap on anyone around me. Then it just turned into that was just how I was, if one tiny thing went wrong I was the most dramatic individual ever, hysterically crying (like rolling around on the floor crying, sweating hyperventilating) over things that weren't even a big deal. It has put so much strain on my relationships I don't think some are repairable. Coming off of them seemed next to impossible,then I switched brands, the pink ones are like poison the white are bearable. Do not take this drug, seriousl"

Lefony (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I attempted suicide a few times and was hospitalized for months. I was out of work and on social security and on other meds from 2008 until 2014. I was taking meds that were extremely expensive and could not afford them. I had relocated and had a new doctor. He decided to try me on Paxil. WOW is all I can say I was like a different person in a very short time. I have gone back to work and now hold down a fulltime position and have a life. It was like a miracle drug for me. My doctor told me I needed to let you know of my success as he was astonished also. THANK YOU FOR PAXIL"

Linda55705gmail.com (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I started taking Paxil about 2 months ago and it have saved my life. However the first two weeks of taking it was hell. When you first start taking it, your serotonin dips slightly because the drug is trying to adjust to your system. I suffer from a panic disorder and my anxiety was so bad that i had several extreme panic attacks where I have had to call up an ambulance. This happened 3 or 4 times during these weeks and one happened whilst I was driving on the dual carriageway. However these weeks are worth it, i can't even remember how to have a panic attack and my self confidence is as high as it's ever been."

Lois27072707 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was dealing with anxiety in college my junior year and so I decided to talk to my doctor about it and he prescribed Paxil. When I started taking it, my appetite increased, energy went down, my emotions were just monotonous like I couldn't feel anything. I also gained 15 pounds in 4 months which is not normal for me, especially since I had been working out and hadn't changed my eating habits at all. After being on this drug for 5 months, I am weaning myself off it and I am feeling a million times better. I would recommend a different drug if you are having problems with anxiety."

Anonymous May 8, 2016

For Anxiety "Crippling, horrible anxiety brought on by menopause. Couldn't take hormones. I went through heck trying many antidepressants. One smart doctor tried me on lowest dose of generic Paxil, never changed the dose, allowed my system to get used to it. It worked like a charm! I am able to work full time and do anything I want. The side effects are minimal for me. Yes, I gained some weight but now enjoy taking walks to exercise. No regrets about trying this med at all. Life saver!"

Ann10 May 1, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Changed my life. I can function at work--even facilitate meetings-- and have social interactions without the physical "fight or flight" response kicking in. It does make me tired, and there are some sexual side effects, otherwise I would have rated 10."

Some One April 28, 2016

For Trichotillomania "I have OCD, anxiety, and ADHD. I also pick my cuticles everyday. The official name is Dermatillomania and it's closely related to pulling hair out. I've been picking my cuticles for 25 years. There has never been a time when I did not pick them to some degree. I try to hide them and I frequently make them bleed. I take 450 mg of Wellbutrin XL and 25 mg of Paxil (by cutting the pills) daily. I started the Paxil almost a month ago for anxiety. While it has helped a lot with anxiety, it's even more incredible to me that my cuticles are now almost perfect with just one tiny blemish and my nails are long. This is the ONLY time they've looked like this since I started when I was 9 years old. Very, very pleased! No more hiding my fingers!"

RachelSanders409 April 26, 2016

For Anxiety "Panic attacks and anxiety were completely gone, but with that came tons of side effects. I gained over 40 pounds and it was IMPOSSIBLE lose until getting off of Paxil. No sex drive and couldn't orgasm at all while on it. It made me a little zombie-like, I didn't have any low emotions but not any high ones either. Coming off of it gave me extreme symptoms like headaches, loss of appetite, sore muscles, insomnia, mood swings, and weird violent thoughts. Will all be worth it though once I'm over the withdrawal period. Positive withdrawal symptom: Weight loss!!"

beckbeck17 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2016

For Panic Disorder "Paxil DOES work to stop panic attacks and general anxiety symptoms. I've had no panic attacks while on it. But my problem with Paxil are its' side effects. I was on Paxil for a few years and had gained weight steadily at the same time. I was trying to lose weight while on Paxil and was unsuccessful, but I didn't blame the Paxil. I went off of Paxil and changed nothing else in my routine & lost 25 pounds in 3 months! I ended up having to go back on it and gained ALL of it back within 1 MONTH. I tried to up my exercise and diet routine to make up for the Paxil, but I can't get the scale to budge more than 5 pounds down. Also, when trying to get off Paxil, the side effects are AWFUL. Wean off VERY SLOWLY! Worst, most addictive SSRI out there."

purplecandle17 April 25, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I was taking 10 mg of Paxil for 3 days but was feeling extremely zombie like. Decided to take 25 mg of Zoloft today. Is this safe?"

Jronan (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

For Depression "DO NOT EVER TAKE THIS DRUG. long story short, it can cause mania, depersonalization, mood swings, uncontrollable anger, suicidal thoughts and actions, and it can make your depression and anxiety 10 times worse. It also causes permanent damage to the brain by literally stooping your brains ability to produce serotonin by itself. This is one of the oldest SSRI's on the market, and its short half-life make withdrawals the worst thing ever. The withdrawals are similar to heroin withdrawals and last 3-6 months. If you want to seriously fu** up your life and your brain, take this drug."

MikaBBB April 20, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking Paxil since December of 2015. I started out on 10mg, which didn't do much for me, and then my doctor increased it to 20mg, which still was not enough to cease my anxiety. I have been taking 30mg of Paxil for about 4 months now and it has been great. My mood is extremely better and all of my friends and family notice a huge change. I'm a more pleasant person to be around, I don't have panic/anxiety attacks anymore, and I am able to do things that my anxiety didn't allow me to do before. However, when I first started taking Paxil, it gave me a lot of headaches, but they went away as I got used to it. Also, I have been having night sweats and it is hard for me to sleep sometimes, but other than that it is a great medication"

Ashley S April 19, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder "About 33 years ago, I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression. Was put on Paxil, and it was brought to my attention, that they actually made me worse...more agitated. As I read these posts, I wonder "sure wish it worked for me, like that!! Need less to say, all these years later, my anxiety is thru the roof...HATE groups or crowds of people...I pretty much either go to work or stay in the house, on days off. Makes me nervous to be around people I don't know. Call me crazy, its like a phobia, and I think it's their stupidity! I'm not prefect, by ANY means....but my word, people these days!"

Tawnyalee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2016

For Depression "It's week three. Let me start by saying this is my third try at a different depression/anxiety med. And it actually seems to be working. Also I've went from 290 at the dr. Office to 276 in 3 weeks I'm 6'2" so it's noticeable. I use to stress eat, now I don't have the urge to constantly eat. I feel, not full, just in hungry and fine with it? Overall I give it a 9/10 the 1 is because it's only been 3 weeks. Kicks in quick(two weeks for me), go all day with no need for xanax or ativan. I'm also alot less angry. Hope this helps, explore all options. Everyone's different! Never lose faith and force a smile :)"

Casey st. (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I suffered with OCD and anxiety since I was a teen but as I got older I started to develop fears that were never there before and panic attacks started to get more frequent.My doctor put me on paxil and within two months I feel great,the anxiety is under control and my OCD is gone with the fears it created. My side affects are about a 10 lb weight gain and it takes me longer to reach a orgasm which I consider a good thing haha. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from anxiety and OCD."

The Newf (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2016

For Anxiety "I was put on this medication for anxiety that I experienced suddenly. My initial panick atattack was so bad that I had throat paralysis. I could not make myself swallow, scariest thing ever. I was on paxil 20mg for 6 months before I stopped. The medication helped with the anxiety but the zero sex drive, constantly sleepy feeling and deep yawns with vivid crazy dreams along with 15 pound weight gain was terrible and not worth it."

jennlynn16 April 11, 2016

For Anxiety "Social anxiety involved with my job was causing insomnia and a feeling of constant dread. I take 20 mg. Here is how it affects me: I no longer lay awake at night worrying about the next day. However, I now wake up several times a night on Paxil, but always quickly fall back to sleep. So overall, this is a great improvement in sleep for me. Oddly, my dreams are now very vivid. I have actually woken up laughing. Rather than fearing social interaction, now at worst I am mildly annoyed by it. I have not been transformed to a gregarious person, but social interaction it something I no longer fear facing. Other side effects: mild constipation, less prone to anger, 80% loss in sexual interest, and alcohol has more of an effect"

52.yr.old.male April 11, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've tried out all sorts of drugs and never thought I would feel myself again. This drug has helped me get my life back. I feel positive for the first time in 4 years. Of course, I still have my wobbles, but it has allowed me to eat, exercise and socialize, which I wasn't doing before. I'm hoping to keep building momentum, so I can lead a full and happy life, rid of anxiety, panic attacks and depression. A god-send drug. I don't care if its hard to wean off. I will stay on this forever is necessary"

Anonymous April 4, 2016

For Depression " In few words - Life changing All negative thoughts change to positive ones And that is a life changing pill I was born depressed really ,with a wierd point of veiw, very critic of everybody, now I am a happy ordinary guy with a beautifull family Something I could not have achieved with out paxil, I take one every day for 23 years The effects goes out just after a glass of wine , so be carefull , quiting the pill in a fast way will cause " rage" yes , you would not recognized your self kind of rage so be carefull. You ar"

Mtoa April 3, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on this med for 9 yrs after the dearh of my daughter, it changed my life dramatically!! Recently I have lost a brother and my anxiety came back, my doctor has from today increased my dose to 50mg so praying this helps soon? Hope due to my body being used to the 40mg the extra 10mg kicks in fast. It is a mirical tablet!!"

LizzieDee1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 1, 2016

For Anxiety "I have taken paxil on and off for roughly 17 years. I thought it was helping and that the anxiety, moodiness and feeling a bit zoned out was normal and hormones. But 10 months ago I changed to Zoloft due to a pregnancy and I feel like a new person. My husband was the first to notice it! My stress levels have decreased hugely and I'm much calmer and life is much easier."

Little Joey March 31, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "Great for sleeplessness. That being said, I am more anxious than I have ever been due to side effects. It is difficult to perform a high stress sales job when you are dizzy and nauseous much less try to cope with a headache on top of the other symptoms. All of the symptoms exacerbate the anxiety you are trying to combat. Seems a little counter intuitive to me."

Nameless stranger March 29, 2016

For Postpartum Depression "I was suffering from ppd/a. Zoloft and lexapro made me feel worse. I wanted to try paxil but the bad reviews scared me. Good thing I listened to my doctor because it's the only thing that has helped me. Side effects weren't bad. I haven't gained weight. I feel a little hyper sometimes but that just makes me actually want to get up and do things again."

BrookeHibbett (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been on 10 mg for years, over 10 for anxiety. I'm at the point now where my 30 script will last 2-3 months and take it 1 out of 3 days. It worked for me, changed my life for the better. A few side effects but manageable."

Anonymous March 26, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I've been on this medication for 2 weeks. I take 10 mgs once a day. The first week was kind of rough. Headaches, nausea, teeth clinching, extreme fatigue, blurry vision, things like that. The second week has been much better. I'm able to leave my house to go do things. I actually have been going to the gym and spending over an hour working out. After struggling to find the proper medication and being terrified to live my life since 2014, this medicine has truly helped me. I feel confident that I am on the road to recovery. The only complaint that I have is that my memory is still a bit foggy. I hope that in time that will clear up as well. SSRI's can be scary and have rough side effects but hang in there. It gets better."

kad1337 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016