User Reviews for Paxil

Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paxil reviews 333 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paxil

Review by Jade- jade:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I've been on Paxil close to a week now. It took the doctor close to two month for me to agree to trying it. I tried everything to overcome my anxiety naturally and I really felt like I hit breaking point. Because I have two young children, I knew it was important that I gave this a go...even though I'm in early days my mind seems content. I'm still trying to get used to it though. After stressing about trivial stuff for so long its strange to feel that I have my life back.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2014 2:45 AM

For Major Depressive Disorder: Before starting Paxil, I was extremely depressed. I did not want to talk to people or have to leave the house for any reason. (Albeit I'm 22). When I would have to go somewhere such as school or the doctor's office I would dread having to leave and I'd be having an internal melt down the entire duration of getting dressed. It didn't matter what I wrote or how much make up I had on, I felt like I was so ugly that people would just stop and stare at me (which I am not ugly and they would not stop and stare). Sometimes I'd be so intimidated from just having to walk through a door into a room and have someone look up that I'd just turn around and go back home. This medicine took all that away and changed my life.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by mariashepp:

For Anxiety: I had been on Paxil for about 2 and a half years but recently I decided to go off of it. I have been off for about 2 months now but have all of a sudden experienced such fear and anxiety. I feel the way I did when I went on the pill, never wanting to leave the house, or go to work. I need to work but it's so hard to get through the day! Now my doctor says I will probably need to be on this my whole life. I gained weight when I was on it to which I didn't like. Do you think I should go back on it, I can't function like this though.

September 6, 2014 6:03 PM

Review by Retired in Florida (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Panic Disorder: I've had severe panic attacks while primarily driving on interstate highways and through mountains for 30 plus years. I rarely have attacks driving on most other types of roads and conditions. I've been on Paxil for 5 years now and it is truly a life saver for me. I choose however, and contrary to most advice, not to be on it all the time as it does numb the senses. Twice yearly I drive from Florida to Indiana and choose to take 20 mg/day for one month prior to my trip and 40 mg/day a couple of days prior to my trip. For the most part I can drive successfully with no attacks. Occasionally I will still have what I call a "break through"- sort of a rush sensation but not as severe as a panic attack. I have no problems coming off it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2014 4:58 AM

Review by trinigirl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: I have been taking Paxil for the past 5 years and it makes me feel great I do not get any anxiety attacks since I started one thing that helps me is the support of my husband and exercise and good eating habits. Theses things assist with living a more richer and happier life. I do not intend on stopping because the good out ways the bad.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 8:57 PM

Review by J. Pinkman (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Even through this medicine helps you to get over with some issues that you struggle in your everyday life, it doesn't really help you at all in terms of your depressive thoughts and depression itself.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2014 4:50 PM

Review by King Bean (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Was on it and later Remeron for 3 months. Remeron was an near-instant help; Paxil did some good things. Apparently, a great anxiety med. Effects didn't really last and I got anxious/depressed to a large extent. Went off and had a hard withdrawal.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by OIF Veteran (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I was on Celexa for a year and it did nothing. I switched to Paxil and it has helped lessen my symptoms. I am on 40mg.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2014 10:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I literally thought there was 0 hope for me. My anxiety has increased drastically as I've gotten older and has led to social anxiety. Going out in public would depress me, I constantly thought people were plotting against me and talking about me. I have been on Paxil for about a month. Thank God. My work days are MUCH better, I don't analyze the hell out of everything and I'm not afraid of people. I can now get out of bed and look forward to the day, not dread it.

July 28, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by FeelingGreat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I developed an extreme anxiety disorder inside my own home. Every day, my anxiety was at a constant 8/10, and if an 'event' occurred, it would become an anxiety attack (10 /10). I was prescribed Klonopin & fluoxetine (which I'd successfully taken before for depression). This lasted NINE MONTHS. My therapist was giving me useful tools to use to conquer the anxiety, however my symptoms were too high for them to be effective. My prescribing doctor switched me to Paxil/paroxetine and it changed my life. Within 2-3 weeks my constant anxiety leveled out to a 3 or lower and I was better able to use the tools to conquer any spike in anxiety. Paxil helped me to take back control of my life. Anxiety no longer owns me!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 1:30 PM

Review by bbm23242 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I've been prescribed and taking Paxil for about 3 months now. At first I was nervous about because of the reviews on it saying there would be no sex life and I'm currently in a relationship and have been for 2 years. I'm taking Paxil for anxiety. My sex life hasn't changed at all. Paxil has completely taken away my anxiety and I feel awesome. Give it a shot.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by Amandaaaaa:

For Depression: First off I just want to say, please don't be alarmed/afraid when you read that your going to gain a tremendous amount of weight while taking Paxil. Not saying by any means anybody is lying nor the information they provide about this medicine is false. Everybody is different and will receive different results. I almost contacted my physician right away, in demands I obtain a different medication after hearing about the weight gain, however, I gave it a fair chance. I did NOT want to a eat a thing while on Paxil and my friends already noticed I've dropped a significant amount of weight. Please don't avoid this medication because of freight about weight gain because it might very well not happen! My social anxiety also vanished.

July 14, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by Wonder Drug For Me (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Paxil twice in my life. When I was teenager, my doctor prescribed me Paxil to control depression. I was on it until I started my Master's. I stopped taking it because I did not think that I needed it anymore. For about five to six years, I wasn't taking Paxil, but I noticed that my anxiety got worse. It got so bad that I began to get panic attacks almost every morning. I also developed an ulcer and was diagnosed with severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My doctor decided to place me back on Paxil. After being on for 6 months, I feel absolutely wonderful. I still get anxious every once in awhile but not to the point that I feel as though I'm going to have a panic attack. I've also been able to control my panic attacks on my own.

July 13, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by Mattyb78:

For Anxiety: Numbs your emotions. Which is fine if you like your positive emotions numb too. Not a serious solution to mental problems, just a way to cover them up. Dont listen to the doctor who tells you to halve your pill every week, you need to taper your dose by 10% and only drop again after about 6 weeks. Please don't listen to opinions of people who have been on this for only a couple of weeks!

July 8, 2014 4:09 AM

Review by ThrashingThrasher (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: I've been on Paxil since I was 5, I'm almost 20 now. I've had really bad anxiety my entire life. I started at 5mg daily, as I got older, my dosage slowly increased to 20mg, which is my current dose. I had a few bad life experiences when I was younger that caused my anxiety to increase tenfold, so my DR tried to swap the Paxil for something else. Bad idea, none of the other SSRIs worked; I had a severe increase in anxiety and side effects, so he put me back on the Paxil. Paxil has been the only pill to help my anxiety and I haven't had any side effects from it.

July 5, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: To the person who recommended NeoCitran, do not take NeoCitran if you're taking Paxil or any other SSRI, unless the form of NeoCitran doesn't contain Dextromethorphan. These two medicines have a major interaction that could cause serotonin syndrome, which is relevant to my review of Paxil. My experience with Paxil so far hasn't been the best. Side effects have been pretty bad, and as I also have ADHD, taking both Paxil and Vyvanse has lead to some serotonin syndrome-like symptoms. I got mild serotonin syndrome a few days after I started taking Paxil, because I had been taking both Paxil and Vyvanse in the morning. I find that if I take Paxil at least 12 hours after Vyvanse, the side effects are minimal and haven't had any further problems.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 12:40 AM

Review by cinzach:

For Depression: Loved this medicine, helped me a lot. Problem is I got glaucoma.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 12:03 AM

Review by Female40 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Have been on Paxil 20-60mg for 11 years and have found that while I still experience depressive episodes, occasionally suicidal ideas, I tend to recover faster- weeks instead of months. I've also experienced weight gain 30+ lbs, high blood pressure, constant dry mouth, lack of libido and difficulty with orgasms. These side effects have affected my marriage and self-esteem and am currently slowly weaning off Paxil.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 5:35 AM

Review by Anamax:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I can honestly say, after years and years of dealing with my anxiety, leaving school to be homeschooled, not being able to function and just accomplish and do the things I wanted to do, being a slave to anxiety every second of my life, finally at 18, after a year of what has been the worst anxiety of my life, I made the decision to take Paxil. 26 days on the medicine and I can honestly say it has changed my life, and saved it. I have never felt so wonderful in my entire life, anxiety does not exist in my life or control me anymore, I am now in control, and it was such a beautiful relief to have such an incredible outcome.

June 11, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by JToni (taken for 10 years or more):

For Panic Disorder: I've been on Paxil since I was 19. I am now 34. This medication has saved my life. I have read a ton of negative comments about Paxil and I truly believe it is not for everyone. It either works great or not. For me life before Paxil was horribly scary. I had massive panic disorder and was sheltered in my home all the time. I used to struggle with a few of the side effects of Paxil such as decreased sex drive and the feeling of nausea. However I have learned over the last 15 years of being on it, how to change the side effects through other positive reinforcements such as meditation and positive thinking. I no longer have the side effects. Perhaps 15 year has helped with that too. I stayed on Paxil when I had all three of my children.

May 30, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by JohannesB (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I wonder if anyone can relate to my experience with Paxil. During about 17 years of severe depression and anxiety, no medication (I've tried them all) seemed to help and the ones that did, brought along unbearable side effects. ECT didn't help either. Paxil is the only pill that really works for me, but it makes me slightly manic. Combining it with a mood stabiliser works perfect %u2013 but only for 6 months. After that, it's depression all over again. After waiting for another 6 months, I can start using Paxil in combination with a mood stabiliser again, with good results that always only lasts for 6 months. This 6 months on/6 months off has become a very predictable pattern over the years.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2014 2:49 PM

Review by Cymro:

For Anxiety: This really works. Been on it for a week and now feeling much less anxious. My anxiety was pretty bad, couldn't get through the work day without an anxiety/panic attack. Saw a Dr and since then this medicine has really helped.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2014 6:57 AM

Review by orchidr:

For Anxiety: I started to use Paroxetine since May 8, 2014, my experience until now is great, the pill helps me to relax and calm, I was like very anxious all the time. What I like is that the pill does not make me feel sleepy, I feel much better.

May 20, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by JNoonie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: I took Paxil for 5 years for severe panic attacks and anxiety. I got to the point where I could barely leave the house without anxiety. I was on 20 mg once a day and it worked wonders for me. I felt "normal" for the first time in years. HOWEVER... I gained 50 lbs. I decided to get off and weaned myself very slowly but still had withdrawal symptoms: brain zaps, severe headaches, dizzy, restless, faint, weak and the list goes on. I have been off for 5 months now and still have symptoms.

May 18, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Soundchain (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Really worked for me, paroxetine definitely took the edge off and lessened anxiety symptoms. Would still have benzodiazepine as needed but this was 1-2 per month. Great antidepressant for anxiety & panic disorder.

May 17, 2014 12:13 PM