User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Hot Flashes 5 reviews 19 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 710 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Fluvoxemine (Luvox) starting at age 7, took it for 3 years. I am not 24 and I have been on fluoxetine for almost 7 months,and just recently got bumped up to 40mg ( 2 weeks ago). I have such bad depression and anxiety that it barely makes a dent, but it does help with my intrusive thoughts a lot. I notice as far as side effects, all of the initial ones have gone away by about month 3. All I have left is very minor short-term memory loss, and talking in my sleep. I'm not as sleepy as I used to be either. I would recommend staying away from caffeine altogether while on fluoxetine. I wish there was another way. I spent 14 years dealing with my severe Pure-Obsessional OCD without treatment. Some of us need this medicine."

Chris DiPaolo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2016

For Depression: "I'd suffered from anxiety and depression for many, many years. The anxiety led to trouble sleeping, which made me depressed. I was focussing on the negatives in my life and my circle of friends was shrinking. I began to feel worthless. I am a musician but also a software engineer, a job that is secure and pays well but gives me no satisfaction. I took fluoxetine in 2004 when stress at work brought my anxiety to a head. I also used Zolpidem to sleep. I kept up this pattern for a couple of years, quitting Prozac and re-starting regularly. In October 2012 my sleep became awful and I was regularly just walking out of work because I couldn't carry on. I started Prozac again, and since then I have been on it. It has transformed my life."

Marky Wilson England February 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I just started Prozac again after being off it for several years. After going off Prozac the first time, I tried battling depression with alternative methods, including yoga, exercise and CBT. Recently I decided I was losing the battle using these methods alone and went back to Prozac. My experience so far is that the medication is working. I have so far not been experiencing the really deep lows while on this medication. I do feel a bit drowsier that usual, although this is not entirely unwelcome as I was having trouble sleeping before and now I find I am able to sleep and nap more easily. Exercise and avoiding alcohol dramatically helps with the drowsiness issue and also helps improve mood further in combination with the Prozac."

AdamQ February 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Prozac was the first antidepressant I was ever put on and it never really helped me. I couldn't eat normally for several weeks, kept throwing up and while waiting for the side effects to go away my doctor gave me a higher dose and my anxiety seemed to get even worse. About a month in, my suicidal thoughts got worse and I just got reckless with my life because I felt like nothing mattered. After an intervention with my friends I decided to just stop taking it cold turkey, and I really didn't experience that bad of withdrawal effects, I was just glad I wasn't taking it anymore. I would say it made me the most suicidal I'd been in a long time and while it may work wonders for some people it just did not work with me."

rileylane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

For Depression: "After being suicidal for many months and self harming in addition to extreme anxiety. I had taken Prozac 6 years earlier and didn't work at all has NOW almost eliminated my depression. I feel happier than I have in years. The only downside is I have gained about 20 lbs. My lowest weight was 133, considered healthy for someone 5'7 and athletic, but despite my clean eating and exercise I've blown up to 163 lbs in 2 years and nothing seems to get the weight off. This has been my only negative side effect. I choose my mental health over my body image although I also have an eating disorder BDD."

Kim SSRI queen February 1, 2016

For Depression: "After my boyfriends death I wasn't able to function and I cried non stop. Since being on Prozac I don't cry as much, I'm still not sleeping well, but I am able to work and not be a complete basket case. I don't know if my weight loss is due to grief or the medication."

Ladybugg78 January 31, 2016

For Depression: "After struggling for years with mild depression and working with mental health professional and trying every non-drug way of feeling happier and nothing worked. Finally 8 weeks ago I decided to try fluoxetine. I was afraid to try this because of anecdotal evidence and the stigma of taking meds. l But it turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I feel like myself. I am not a zombie or a loopy happy person. There are no weird side effects for me. I just feel HAPPY. It is so much easier to appreciate the many good things in my life. I wish I had done this years ago. If you are like me and can tolerate medicine, and have been struggling with feeling good about your life for years, maybe it's worth a try. :-)"

Finally Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

For Depression: "I was switched to this coming off of Lexapro, from which I was having severe withdrawal symptoms: dizziness, nausea, a poor time sleeping. I got switched to Prozac because I felt Lexapro wasn't covering all my anxiety enough, and so far the experience has been...eh. Like a lot of other reviews have said, you'll feel great for the first few days and then things'll probably go downhill. I often feel I'm not in my own skin--empty. I have strange dreams. My self-motivation is poor, and I can't spend money without crunching numbers fifty times over. I can never seem to do things I enjoy without feeling guilt about something else. It saved my ass from the side-effects of Lexapro, but I'm not sure if the 20mg dosage is going to be enough."

hm... (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "In about 1996 I started Prozac for 13 years and then it stopped working, I was on 2 different meds since then but the last one caused excessive body sweating to the point where I could not work as I work with the public. I just went back on Prozac 3 days ago and I already feel so calm and rational. When I was on it for those 13 years my doctor said I was the poster child for Prozac as I had no symptoms. So far I do not have any. I love Prozac."

RemiB January 29, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I posted in June 2014 after being on this Rx for about 7 months. It has now been 2 years. I am still on 10mg for first week after ovulating and 20 until my period starts. I have forgotten how "bad" it use to be! I have had months (rare) when I've messed up the timing on my meds and it messed with my head a bit. I try real hard to time at the same time each day. I've also noticed that around days 3 and 4 (after my period started and being off the Rx) that it appears the remaining meds in my system have worn off and I have a day of being "sad". The kinda of sad you'd get when PMS seemed normal and you were just sad, but not depressed and anxious and out of body. But after that feel normal again."

LL_CO (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2016

For Depression: "Changed my life within a month of taking. initially gave me upset stomach but the wait was worth. My wife said she "felt like she was walking on egg shells", Now more I am relaxed and a better husband. Sex drive has been affected but I can live with that just being happy and enjoying life again."

PTSD29 January 27, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I was having hot flashes every night from being peri-menopause and I recently started on 20 mg of prozac. It took approximately 3 weeks for it to start working and I swear by it by the 4th week not one hot flash. I am feeling so much relief from prozac. Not only have my hot flashes gone away but my moods are stable and I feel great!"

Floq (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've recently started taking prozac and have never been on an ssri before but have always thought I needed one for my constant worrying thoughts and random depression. I haven't been taking it for very long and already feel like a weight has been lifted. I feel happier and it's easier to get rid of my bad thoughts that previously consumed my life. I feel better than I've ever felt amd wish I would have tried it sooner!"

Aj2817 January 24, 2016

For Depression: "I've only been on Fluoxetine now for 12 days at 20mg. I have a feeling I'll be going up to 40mg soon. Nothing much yet except I have noticed I don't "blow up" as much at everyone but it's only 12 days. You need 3-4 wks to see really. I've tried Lexapro (sleepy all time & wt gain)& Sertraline (went toxic in my body, liver enzymes went up, constant diarrhea, major wt loss) & lastly Cymbalta (helped with pain but not mentally and withdrawals were horrible). So antidepressant #4. I hope this one works! I do have loose bowels a lot in morning but take 1 Loperamide everyday. That's all really except sometimes anxiety goes up. Exercise will help."

Audlynn (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking Prozac 4 weeks ago ... For symptoms of menopause ...... I can't take HRT as I've had cancerous cells in my cervix which is why I had a hysterectomy .. Anyway I was having palpitations panic attacks stress and anxiety forgetting words very emotionally up and down .. I also suffer from PTS from a violent childhood .. I have to say I've been so much happier and settled in my mind this is definitely working for me ."

Vicky1202 January 19, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I had a horrible experience with Prozac. I was actually very excited when my doctor decided it would be the next anti-depressant medication I tried, because it gets so much good publicity. Hell, there's even a memoir called "Prozac Nation." Upon beginning my daily regimen of prozac, I had increased anxiety (too the point that I was having uncontrollable heart palpitations, dizzy spells, trouble breathing -- I couldn't eat, and got down to 100lbs on accident) and my suicidal ideation increased to the point that I made a very serious suicide attempt. Thanks to quick intervention, speedy response from paramedics, and a life flight I am alive today. Be careful, and be aware of side effects."

afay January 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed the generic form of Prozac and at 2.5 weeks, my depression became more severe. I began feeling hopeless. Worse I have felt in a very long time. I'm glad to hear that most people find improvement, but wanted to share my experience"

Faithdeshea (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

For Depression: "I've been on fluoxetine 5weeks@ 20mg & additional 1week combo with apripazole 5mg. I've been diagnosed with major depression and BPD. I have flu like symptoms and restlessness. don't feel much improvement before or after combining apripazole except I am very chilled and calm sometimes too calm. I no longer have insane panic attacks or think too much over everything. I hate the crazy dreams and insomnia but love getting out of bed feeling like I can run a marathon-due to fluoxetine. The apripozole helps with appetite which is non existent and helps boost fluoxetine. How much longer need to wait for the side effects to diminish as the restlessness is getting v.distressing"

dull253 January 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I started generic brand of Prozac more than 3-4 years ago. I started at 20mg and am still on that same dose. Before Prozac, I lost almost 50 pounds because I didn't eat. I was depressed and always anxious. I was afraid of weird things, like taking a shower because I thought I would fall and die. I was afraid to win the lottery ( never would happen anyway lol) I never had anything like this in my life! I was newly wed, and just had baby. So I guess it was normal to have those feelings. Prozac has been great. first few weeks on it I had increased anxiety. Worse thing is I gained about 75-80 pounds !!"

Matt127 January 17, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I have had PMDD since 2007 aged 27. Doc placed me on 10mg citalapram however after 5 years in my symtoms have come back - citalopram seemed to have stopped working & the anxiety came back with a vengance. I tried to increase but the side effects were just to bad. So the doc has prescribed me 10ml of liquid flx. . It's only my 2nd week and I'm 14 days into my cycle. Which is where my anxiety kicks in!! I'm hopping that the flx needs time to kick in? So far though the side effects seem OK"

posh1 January 17, 2016

For Depression: "I was put on this medication 6 years ago after being in the hospital. I will admit that I wasn't suicidal anymore, but I just didn't feel right. I felt numb and that nothing bothered me. There were situations where I should have stood up for myself and didn't because I didn't feel the person had said anything wrong even though they were treating me unfairly. The only pro I can say for it is that it got me sane enough to leave the hospital. I have been off the medication for almost a year now and recognize that I was not myself and I will NEVER go back on it again!"

JBrown92 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I am beginning my fourth week on 20mg Fluoxetine taken each morning. I am recovering from a long term abusive relationship with a Narcissist. I have a head injury that predisposes me to fatigue. I asked the doctor to help me with my energy levels. I did not admit it but the underlying feeling I had was that 'everything was too much' and 'nothing matters anyway'. But nobody would have guessed how hopeless I had become. And had been for at least 10 years. Initially I experienced all of the symptoms people warn about in the first few weeks. Insomnia and occassional extreme anxiety were the worst. Now I feel enthused about taking things one at a time and am enjoying the process. I have begun to sleep normally again. So far, so good."

Blinky1 January 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been using 40 mg of prozac daily for almost a year now, I went from the worst I've ever been, crying all the time never being able to stop thinking about how much I hated myself life and everything about life, I was not eating, was so full of rage and hate and had the most negative mindset towards everything, like every second of my life was hell and pointless seeming, I wished I was dead (although would never actually kill myself for my families sake) and after about 2 or 3 weeks of taking the prozac everything got so much better it was like it flipped a switch in my head and the negative thoughts went away and I actually felt good and happy which I thought was so impossible to feel, taking these meds was the best thing I've ever done"

Auma13 January 15, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I started taking this medicine only 3 days ago and I already feel like I can tell a difference. I have extreme panic disorder, social anxiety, and just general anxiety. Recently I have been getting panic attacks every night around 9pm, but ever since I started taking this I haven't had a single one. I know these kind of medicines aren't supposed to start working for a couple weeks, but I truly feel a difference already. I have tried Lexapro (gained a ton of weight) and Zoloft which was giving me terrible side effects as well so I am hopeful that this medicine will work without causing other problems!"

YAY!* January 14, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have had general anxiety for as long as I can remember, and it started really interfering with my daily life and relationships. My doctor put me on prozac with 20mg dosages. The first 1-2 weeks I did have a bit of nausea so it was hard eating in the mornings, but that's the only side effect I noticed. It helped me get rid of anxious thoughts that had once wrecked my life, and made me calm without ridding me of my outgoing and bubbly personality. That made me really happy. However I have now been on it for almost 3 months and I am noticing a large decrease in sex drive. It has started effecting my relationship so I'm currently looking at other options. Other than that I would recommend. :)"

jenjen199 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016