User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Premature Ejaculation 0 reviews 0 medications

6.1
Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.8
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 437 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by Bradstreetbassler (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: This medication works great for anxiety stress and panic attacks, so glad.

August 16, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Miss0rocks:

For Depression: I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 weeks now. I started at 10mg then went up to 20mg after a week. The side effects were terrible the first several weeks. Extreme fatigue, vomiting, anxiety, major twitching. However I chose to stick with it and hope for the best. The side effects started fading after about 5 weeks and I also started taking the meds at night which helped with the daytime fatigue. I can now say my generalized anxiety has almost disappeared and I've felt improvement with my mood and have become more positive. My doc has upped my dose to 40mg so hopefully this brings even more results. I encourage everyone just starting this medication to try to make it through the start up side effects

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by Cateliza:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Today is only my first day, and I have to say I got really angry with something that happened at work and normally I can shrug this off, but it's like I couldn't control it, and was super quite that morning then through the day I felt better. I've had headaches and bad diarrhea. The headache happened before the medicine so I'm not sure it's related and very slight nausea. I'll blog again once a little more time has passed.

August 8, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Boonmister (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was on 20mg for a few years which worked well. Still had some stressful periods with relationship issues. I then went to 40mg and I kinda felt more confident - the stress proof feeling. Some people say this is only a placebo effect but its not entirely. Drawbacks are slight zombie feeling sometimes - and probably a bit more restless - but normally results in me getting more work done. My doctor said to try to go down to 20mg. When I varied the dose, I had a cold and some work stress at the same time and it wasn't very good. I would recommend having some psychologist support for changing doses. You need a proper plan. My family doctor didnt really give me a plan.

August 8, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by KitkT:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: Have been on Prozac since it came out many years ago. I had severe panic disorder with anxiety attacks. I was also agoraphobic. Since being in Prozac I was able to return to work, go to college. Now that I am retired I am able to travel to different states.

August 7, 2014 2:28 PM

Review by OnceStuckInLimbo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: Fluoxetine is pretty gentle compared to most other anti-depressant medicines. I had a good response from Zoloft almost 20 years ago, and when I had breakthrough depression I was switched to Effexor. Effexor worked but was prohibitively expensive. Then I was finally stated on Prozac(fluoxetine). I had zero side effects during the first week--which was vastly different from my experience with the other two--and at 40mg/day fluoxetine seems just as efficacious. Fluoxetine has worked well for my panic, depression, and general anxiety. One must give it time to work. For people that are really struggling six weeks can seem a lifetime, but for many that is how long it takes for fluoxetine to 'work'.

August 7, 2014 9:41 AM

Review by Cloe w (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: After the birth of my son, I was left with post natal depression under the guise of constant severe anxiety and as many as 20 panic attacks a day leaving me house bound and useless. After 2 years of battling on I realized it was time to see a doctor. I was prescribed 20mg fluoxetine once a day. After reason side effects and online reviews I was terrified to say the least! Never the less after a few weeks of extreme tiredness and weight loss (which was actually a Benefit) I am now able to say PROZAC SAVED MY LIFE. I am back to my normal self with very few side effects, and I have never felt better. I am also undergoing CBT in order to be able to come off the tablets and still be anxiety free but I cannot thank fluoxetine enough!

August 5, 2014 10:45 AM

Review by emjay95 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I took prozac several years ago, and it worked a little bit for a while. Often, though, it made me feel really lethargic, sleepy, and extremely apathetic to most things. It sort of did it's job, but not well enough, as I have now switched to something that works better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by Amgama:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Prozac is really a life saver.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by SarahSwar:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: I've struggled with bulimia (as well as depression/mood disorder) for about eight years now. I've been on Prozac three separate times (I quit taking it during my pregnancies) and I stop binging and purging every time I get back on it. It has also benefited my relationships and improved my parenting abilities. Every other medication I tried was just too hard on me, but Prozac doesn't affect me in any noticeably negative way.

July 22, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by not bad, but sad. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Postpartum Depression: Was able to lift me out of a severe Postpartum depression.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 10:33 PM

Review by LL_CO (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I told my OBGYN that I was having a lot of depression and Rage associated with PMS (heightened by life stress). She recommended fluoxetine for the time between ovulation and when my period starts. I started that day (perfect timing). The side effects that first cycle were extreme. I was exhausted, sweating more, LOW/NO sex drive, couldn't achieve orgasm, numb emotions, but I read online that these subside over time {AND THEY HAVE}. I have gone through 7 cycles with the medication. I hope to reduce from 20mg to 10mg and have done reduced some my first 6 days to 10mg and 20 mg the remaining. It is working well for me and allowing me some emotional freedom to get back to exercising, etc. I am grateful for this medication! So is hubby.

July 13, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by V-R:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have suffered from anxiety for about 20 yrs my doctor switched me to Prozac and I have to say I'm always been anxious but now I'm anxious AND depressed! What's the deal? It's been almost 3 mos and I'm taking it religiously, are there any long time users that can shed some light? Does it get better? I've had over 4 panic attacks since I've started this medication.

June 28, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by usedtobesoanxious:

For Anxiety and Stress: Great for me! Life changer. My day to day anxiety is pretty much gone. I take 40 mg every night. A bit more tired in the mornings making it harder to wake up. Decreased sex drive. Still take 2 to 3 mg of Xanax only when giving speeches and presentations to large groups (only when needed as Xanax can be dangerous).

June 20, 2014 6:46 PM

Review by Hv50 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I've been on Prozac for just about 3 months. At first I did not notice a difference for about a month then I started feeling more energized for a few weeks however the weight is going on as fast as grass grows. I'm seeing my doctor today and need to switch. I've even been working out, walking and have been more active. The weight gain is awful, at least for me.

June 17, 2014 7:57 AM

Review by RayS45672:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have Obessive compulsive disorder which causes a lot of anxiety and depression. Prozac has improved my quality of life I'm now a calm happy person with a great family of my own after being on Prozac a year. It really helps me focus on the real problems in my life and reaching a resolution instead of just feeling overwhelmed. It also greatly increases my energy and focus! It does not make me a zombie to emotion but it does prevent me from obsessing and lingering on how things make me feel. I still feel sad anger etc but in normal amounts like everyone else. Aside from very detailed dreams I've had no negative side effects.

June 14, 2014 9:22 AM

Review by Sarcastra (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have lived with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for almost 3 decades. I was prescribed this wonderful pill to help me and I adore it! My flow is now moderate to light for the first time since I started my cycle. I no longer have nausea inducing back cramps and my cycle has shortened from 6.5 days to 4.5 - 5 days. Even better, my irritability has decreased and the Hulk no longer screams and runs from me in terror when I have my period. It is a relief to be free of uncontrollable irritability, awful cramps, heavy flow and depression.

June 13, 2014 8:44 AM

Review by Rob C:

For Anxiety and Stress: There are pros and cons with Prozac. The pros: helped me a lot with generalized anxiety and obsessive thinking. It's a cheap medicine. The cons: made some emotions that I wanted to experience, a bit numb. My Mum passed away last year, and it was difficult to grieve for her because I couldn't feel the full weight of the emotion. Also, if/when coming off Prozac, the withdrawal can be difficult if not managed properly.

June 12, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by yournickname (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Not happy, not sad, just there. Actually not even there... Everything is kind of like a daze. But it feels alot better then being crazy stressed out all the time and freaking out over trivial things, just I don't feel like myself. But the good thing is I'm living in the moment instead of the past or worrying about the future.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by Decadelost:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: I had an eating disorder for almost a decade and Prozac really stopped the thoughts and behaviors

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by liked prozac (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I took Prozac for about 25 years with good results

June 10, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by mamajen:

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for most of my life but wasn't aware that's what I was going through. Just last month got diagnosed FINALLY and I am a totally new person on the Sarafem. Not different in terms of my personality. Just who I am without all the rage and mood swings. My relationships with my husband and kids is drastically improved. I did have some sleeplessness in the first week but other than that, no side effects. It has changed my life. I look forward to actually living now. I don't like resorting to medicine right away. But I really wish I would have considered this sooner.

June 5, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by familiaa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I've been on Prozac for a month and it really helps with the depression.

May 31, 2014 9:28 AM

Review by amandamariee (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I've been on Prozac for a little over a year for depression and anxiety. I'm on 20mg since I was 14. Personally I think it was too much for my system when I first started taking it. I was like an ADHD child. Couldn't calm down. Jumping around everywhere and could barely sleep at night. And with me being a 100lb 14 year old; my mother thought so too. Now that I'm 16, I think this medication isn't working for me anymore. I'm becoming more and more depressed and my anxiety level is at its highest. I keep having panic attacks also. Prozac was amazing for me up til now. But I do believe that my body has gotten used to this medication. I'm talking to my doctor soon as possible to maybe raise my dosage.

May 27, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Gc2466:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Did not have the best experience with this medication, but antidepressants and anxiety medications react differently for each person. For the 5 months that I was on Prozac, it improved my anxiety, but every time my dosage was changed, my depression got much worse and fluctuated greatly. It got so bad that I had to switch medications. Again, every medication reacts differently for everyone.

May 22, 2014 7:11 PM