User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Premature Ejaculation 0 reviews 0 medications

6.1
Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.8
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 399 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by Annie1975000: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Prozac is great! When you first start, you can feel a little anxious, but hang in there. It has changed my whole outlook on life after being really depressed after a divorce and trying to raise two kids on my own. It gave me the confidence to get a job and enjoy working again. Before it, I had little confidence. I love laughing again, which I do a lot now! No side effects for me, except feeling a bit weird and anxious for the first few weeks.

April 17, 2014 7:15 AM
Review by Angelina205 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Prozac has changed my life I feel like I can enjoy small things like sitting outside and feeling the wind hit my face. I would have several panic attacks during the day and developed agoraphobia. Now with only 10 mg daily it helps, I have come off slowly with no withdrawals!

April 16, 2014 7:32 PM
Review by Spiven: User Rating:

fluoxetine for Depression: I was against taking any kind of medication but after various breakdowns and my job on the line I took Cipralex which did not work for me. My Doctor then switched me to Fluoxetine which has changed my life! If you are on the fence, do as your doctor suggests and take the medicines.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 8, 2014 11:13 PM
Review by Virginia1988 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

fluoxetine for Depression: I've been taking fluoxetine for about 6 months now. I was going through really bad depression/anxiety. I tried Celexa and 1 other antidepressant(can't remember the name) but they made my depression worse. I was scared to try another one but I did anyways, and I'm happy I did. I can eat again, sleep again, function again. It's not a cure, no antidepressant or anti-anxiety medicine is, but it helps to make it through the day. The real work is all on you. Positive attitude, balanced diet, exercise, and enough sleep. This medicine may work for some, but everybody is different. Pretty much trial and error.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 7, 2014 6:50 PM
Review by awall83: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I started Prozac 20mg Friday 3/28/14 its been 6 days. I feel weak, tired, anxious, depressed, and my appetite is out of control, eating all the time. I am going to give this more time, hopefully it works for me like it has for all the others on here. I would give anything to not feel this way anymore, I've struggled with it my whole life.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 9:37 AM
Review by EricaLikesCalculus: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I'm a 17 year old girl with Generalized Anxiety Disorder which I've struggled/am struggling with all throughout high school. I've been on Prozac for about 8 months now and it's helped me get through a lot of very anxiety-inducing situations for me. Before taking this medication, it had become very difficult for me to even attend school, and often times I'd have to be absent due to panic attacks and overwhelming anxiety. The Prozac has made everyday life so much more bearable for me. I no longer feel repressed by my anxiety. It's not a "cure" but it has helped a ton for me, and I have much hope for the future now. In addition, it is also helpful with my mood.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2014 6:19 PM
Review by Just a guy (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It works. It wasn't the magic bullet for me (Wellbutrin was it for me) but I still take this in a 20mg dose to help with things. Mainly still taking it because I was tapered down from 40mg which was giving me sexual side effects, while simultaneously upping the Wellbutrin, and have been stable ever sense so Dr just wants to let it be because it's working. Going to ask for a reduction in this next time though as I feel that the Wellbutrin is most likely enough on its own at the high dose I am currently on (600mg). This medicine is definitely worth trying and works for lots of people, just wasn't the end all be all for me personally.

March 26, 2014 4:58 AM
Review by Alex D (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: I started experiencing panic attacks a few months ago, so bad that I thought I was dying each time I had one, my college NP prescribed me Prozac, the first month of taking it was HELL, my anxiety defiantly increased and I had more frequent panic attacks, my doctor said this was normal and to stick with it and I did! Let me tell you it has changed my life, I am able to function normally now and even though I experience some anxiety, I am able to manage it. Prozac has just made me a genuinely happier person and I recommend it to anyone with anxiety, especially with panic attacks and depression.

March 20, 2014 4:16 AM
Review by Meooooooooooow: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I've been on fluoxetine 10 mg for only 5 days. I have noticed some changes already. I have the worst anxiety and for the past 3 days, stressful situations seem a tad bit less stressful for me. I already lost 4-5 pounds on it. It makes me never think about food anymore. It makes me not hungry for hours. Even a small granola bar can keep me satisfied and full for 5-6 hours... But I force myself to have breakfast lunch and dinner. Things seem more brighter, colors are more vivid to me. Overall I think it's starting to work. I will re-respond in a few weeks to touch base.

March 19, 2014 4:58 PM
Review by Paign (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: This medicine really seems to help me a bit, I don't much have an appetite (but I never did anyway), it calmed me down enough to think. I've been on it for almost a week and for a few days my terrible nightmares stopped, but now my dreams are back but they're just weird now. I had nausea for the first 4 days, not that's gone. This medicine has some good qualities, but for me, 4 days after starting to take it I developed a rash on my neck in reaction to the medicine. Don't let that scare you though. Only 7% of people will have this effect according to a couple of articles I've read about it. Anti-itch cream keeps it from bothering me, but I'm planning to switch to Celexa soon.

March 19, 2014 2:06 PM
Review by Zacpro (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Been on fluoxetine for 7 weeks now, I got my script from my GP. I told him I wanted to start with 10mgs in the morning and 10 at night. That didn't work out because it affected the last 4 hrs of sleep. So I just started taking the 20mgs in the morning. At first I would feel jittery for a few hours. Into my 8th week I'm good. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of reading about the side effect a little too thoroughly, by that I mean I read the pharmacology part for health care professionals. There I stumbled on a possible side effect that really bothers me. Alopecia! I'm a man in my early 50s, has anyone heard anything about losing hair on Prozac?

March 11, 2014 12:04 AM
Review by CPT Wiley (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Never made me happy but made the little things not so unbearable. Used to obsess over small problems to point of immobility. Better now but not a cure. Have been on it for about 4 years and feels like getting less effective. Really helped first few months to year. Now not sure but do notice if I miss a pill I am very angry anxious entire day

March 7, 2014 12:04 PM
Review by AmandaDA: User Rating:

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been on medication for over 20 years to help with my mood and anxiety. Some I stayed on for a few years and then I would change. Some even less because of side effects. I went on Sarafem after doing my own research and asked the Dr to prescribe it 2 months ago. Thank goodness he did because this is the first time in as far back as I can remember that I actually feel happy every day. Less mood swings. I don%u2019t let things bother me as much as I did before. I am honestly a happier person now. This stuff honestly has changed my life.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 6, 2014 12:28 PM
Review by fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Prozac worked Well for me with No serious complications or bad side affects. A plus for me,was very good memory! I used this medication for over 20 years and wish I was still able to use it. The only problem I did have with Prozac was at the end of 20 years, I started getting terrible, horrible, headaches. So bad that I would cry! I no longer can take any SSRI's and or any benzodiazepines. I think maybe after so many years your body isn't able to tolerate it. I began having severe breathing problems! I'm now on the trial & error time again, which most of us know that it isn't fun. Good luck to everyone.

March 6, 2014 1:46 AM
Review by t a (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I have been on fluoxetine for just over 3 weeks, I started to feel a bit better after 10 days or so, then the last couple of days I been feeling very teary and anxious, I was given diazepam at the start to control the anxiety which I only took a couple of, but find I have had to take them the last couple of days, hope this is just part of the tablets settling and will get better.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 28, 2014 3:36 PM
Review by Kruti Patel (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: At first, when I began taking Prozac, I had a lost more "episodes". I just cried in my bedroom for hours; I can't even describe the emotions, if I could even call them that, going through me. It was like a dark part of me took over, and it wanted nothing but an end; I don't even to what. Everything was way worse; multiple suicidal thoughts per a single day were not uncommon. Gradually, I started feeling better; there was no sudden happiness or peace, but I felt normal. Now, I just don't know what's going on with me. Stress and everything is piling up on me, once again. Eating is a chore. I feel like I'm on the brink of falling apart, on the thin line between sanity&insanity. I don't want life or death. I want to not exist. I'm just confused

February 13, 2014 10:52 PM
Review by Sad for forty years (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I have started taking Lovan. It has changed my life. I cannot believe it. I wish I had gone on this medication years ago. I have had severe impairing depression my whole life from the earliest age. I cannot believe the difference. I am myself but I am positive, I no longer wake up in the night worrying, I don't have that constant sadness that I could never shake. I feel happy. I feel sane. I actually feel energized sometimes to exercise but I had to take it at night not morning or I was too tired in the day. I switched to night and my life has turned around. The first month was hard with side effects but then taking it at night has changed my life. I absolutely love this medicine and I was a natural medicine freak. Why oh why.

February 13, 2014 4:18 AM
Review by 30 years depressed (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: You have to give this medicine time to work. At first it made me very anxious and nauseated. Started with 20 mg. after a month the anxiety came back so my doctor upped it to 40 mg.. More nausea and anxiety (Xanax helped this transition), but now, after about 13 weeks, I feel great. I just had a very challenging 10 hours at work and feel like a million bucks. It helped me get my gratitude back. No longer grumpy and ill willed. It made me realize how deep my depression was and how long it had been since I'd been normal-feeling: 30 years. Sleep and exercise are key. If you think you have sleep apnea, get a doctors diagnosis. If you don't exercise, get walking. These are key things that make antidepressants more effective.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 10, 2014 8:49 PM
Review by Debra9007: User Rating:

fluoxetine for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: After having tried everything available - natural/diet/hormonal - fluoxetine is the only thing that combats my severe PMS. Downside is complete lack of sex drive and blunted emotions. Going to try to reduce from 20mg every day to 2 weeks before period.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 10, 2014 4:58 PM
Review by Wickedsmile (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I posted my initial experience with Prozac a few months back and it still is working great! I have lost a few pounds, still eat much less than before and my anxiety is all but gone. I no longer need Klonopin-I was taking about 5 of those a week prior to Prozac. I am on a low dosage and have not needed to adjust up or down. Bottom line-my anxiety is under control and I feel great-without any side effects.

February 10, 2014 12:56 AM
Review by vinpb90: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It's always a test of one person. Everyone will have anti-depressants that work best for them. I tried Lexapro and Wellbutrin. I hated Wellbutrin. Prozac gave me ZERO side effects. No sexual frustration, no irritability, and no insomnia. I'm on my 6th month and just got bumped from 20mg to 40mg because of seasonal depression and feel a HUGE deal better. I've lost 10lbs in 3 weeks because my appetite and drinking are also under control. I've also heard Prozac is associated with weight loss. If something isn't working for you, give it a try.

February 9, 2014 1:37 PM
Review by Thankful Tbird: User Rating:

fluoxetine for Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Fluoxetine 20mg for the past 4 months. My life has been transformed & most days I now wake up grateful! Thankful for the people that supported me, for God's help, strength and medication! I went through big life events over the past 2 years and the balls just kept dropping. My main problem was anxiety & not being able to get through these big issues. This lead to depression and finally I couldn't see a way out anymore. The first 3 wks I had bad side effects. NOW I can say: My relationships has improved, I find it easier to not over analyze, I enjoy my own company, my work performance is better and I ENJOY LIFE. Push through.

February 3, 2014 3:13 AM
Review by Caseybentley95 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

fluoxetine for Trichotillomania: I've had trichotillomania ever since I remember. As soon as my hair was able to reach my mouth I started to bite off my hair until high school & I transitioned to pulling out my hair. My hair became so thin & I had bald spots & constantly got made fun of for my thin hair. Sophomore year I began to see a psychiatrist for this & he prescribed me fluoxetine & lamotrigine. I have never told anyone my condition except my family & psychiatrist. I started off my dosage very low & worked them up to the highest mg possible. I am now a freshman in college & my hair is almost as thick as it was before I started pulling. I am no longer made fun of for my hair. I still pull but a lot less than I ever did. The medicines also helped with my depression.

January 29, 2014 2:42 AM
Review by annie lou one: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I had slipped into a depression following some traumatic life events. The mornings were worse and often unbearable. I became suicidal. I was also agitated. I was desperate and went to GP and prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I have been taking them for six weeks and feel so much better. Mood has lifted and morning depression has stopped. Its saved my life. Side effects were a sore throat and cold symptoms which lasted four days. Yawning as well. Best thing I ever did was admit I had a problem and take medicines.

January 27, 2014 5:09 PM
Review by Ju Ra Ni (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Female, 27 y.o., 20mg, also taking Bupropion. It really helped to "lift the fog" of my depression. My boyfriend noticed my mood lift within a couple days. It all but killed my appetite and I lost a lot of weight quickly; 17 lbs within a few weeks, 1-2 pounds a day. My appetite gradually returned and my weight plateaued. I experienced a different side effect every day during the 1st week. Numb; dizzy; nauseous; migraines. I quit imbibing because it only made me sleepy with a headache. That may have contributed to weight-loss and eventual regain as my alcohol tolerance returned to some degree. I still get the headaches, though less frequently, and I'll take a headache over crippling anxiety and depression any old day.

January 25, 2014 12:48 AM