User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Bulimia 25 reviews 7 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 757 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've only just started taking fluoxetine but I wanted to comment that I have no side effects. I have tried Zoloft and with those side effects I thought I was going to die. I was so scared to try something new but no side effects for me."

Greenaspen22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have had depression and anxiety for several years, and have been on many anti-depressants and none have been as effective as Prozac has been for me. I was previously on Celexa and although it did help my depression it also made me gain a lot of weight. Since being ok Prozac though my appetite has went down tremendously and I feel amazing. I have never been this happy even before depression hit me."

Emmetilee May 1, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I knew years ago when I started on fluoxetine for depression and anxiety how it helped my hot flushes (as we in NZ call them) not only that but it helped by fibromyalgia. So it killed not two birds with one stone but 3. I tried to come off the drug last year by weaning myself for 8 months. Wasn't successful so went back on them. More so just recently I was given Lovan at the chemist and never thought much of it being another generic of Prozac. But, I started to go down hill, with anxiety, sore bones, headaches and worse of all hot flushes. Finally I put 2 and 2 together and realised it was the Lovan. So now I'm back on fluoxetine. So being Generic doesn't mean the same for everybody! This should be publised more for all."

kiwikazza (taken for 10 years or more) May 1, 2016

For Depression: "one of the worst medication ever causes nightmare and makes u depressed and panicky"

Thol April 29, 2016

For Depression: "very helpful"

cacamph April 27, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "The best thing that has happened to me in a long time. I'm only on my second month but my PMDD symptoms have already reduced and the anxiety that I had throughout the rest of the month is pretty much gone!I feel like myself again and can't believe how much brighter everything seems. Did get flu symptoms at the beginning, dry mouth and awful nightmares but after a couple of weeks they all disappeared, I'm on 20mg."

Abigail87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribed 10mg of this medication for the first month and felt okay, but I still had my bad days. On my 6th week, my doc upped my prescription to 20 mg, and in the week I was on that dosage, my anxiety was through the roof. I went back to my doctor with my symptoms and he put me back down to 10mg with the intent of weening me off of it. Plus, this makes you kind of emotionless, like a zombie. Even on my good days where I wasn't anxious, I just didn't have the motivation to do anything. I really don't recommend this to anyone. But if it helps you, that's good."

CJBrill (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Only last few months been on fluoxetine and started on 20mg and then increased to 40mg a life saver. Tried citalopram before and this made me feel heavy headed and a little lack of energy. Got my life back and think I did the right thing and wont be coming off this for a while. People say if you break your leg or your body needs a operation you would go for it. If you need to take a SSR for a while, do it to get your life back on a even keel."

purplebluebell (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was put on Fluoxetine 40mg daily due to a particularly bad bout of depression that left me unable to work or even get out of bed. That was over a year ago and it was a GODSEND. I started on 10mg and increased to 40 within a month, close to no side effects (some stomach pain), and the relief of my depression happened within the first week. After a month and a half on it I was feeling great and alive again! It was amazing! After 8 months on the medication, I decided to wean off. That went well, however anxiety started building up again. I believe my condition has now changed. I was put back on Fluoxetine 40mg but felt no relief of my anxiety whatsoever and had to add Ativan to my regimen. I am now exploring other options but it was great!"

Mynt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I am not a big user of pills, but I was happily surprised how well this med works. I take it 10 days prior to my period and it makes a huge difference. I started taking this at age 42 and 2 years later I am still amazed. If you are struggling with pmdd, talk to your doctor and see if this will work for you."

Oil lady (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been off and on the prozac for over a year now. Keep reading stuff on the internet about its side effects, then flush them down the drain. But then I get back on the medicine. I can say that I feel its effects after just one dose, it feels like a pretty strong drug and I'm only on 10mg. Don't drink too much caffeine on prozac! I've had the worst anxiety attacks if I drink an energy drink after taking my dose of prozac. It does help me get stuff done and stay motivated and I guess it helps with general anxiety as well. It does kind of make me impulsive though but I'm learning to make better decisions while on the medicine. I think it helps over all and I will continue to stay on it for the foreseeable future."

greenberg333 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This medication has literally saved my life!! I was severely depressed and had horrible anxiety and almost committed suicide. The first week on this drug was awful and I was very sick....then a miracle happened. After only a couple of weeks I suddenly realised that I felt 'normal', my thoughts were clear and organised, I was able to laugh, focus, I didn't feel like crying anymore, my fun-loving personality was shining through once more and I became a better version of me. Everyone has noticed and commented, I am now a great person to be around. I am able to work and eat and sleep and function like a normal young woman and it's all thanks to this amazing drug. It really has given me my life back."

Leesa87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've been on Prozac 20mg for two and a half weeks. I'm still hiding under the duvet. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety. Can anyone tell me how much longer I've got to wait to feel well again."

bedridden (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I avoided taking these drugs for 7 months. I really hoped I could fix my anxiety and constant stress by myself, I tried everything from herbal relaxation tea to meditation and talking to the best psychologist. I wish I had tried prozac (20mg) earlier, because it has helped me get rid of the anxiety. I feel energetic and happy again. I didnt gain any weight just felt a little nauseous in the first week."

Roza889 April 17, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been on fluoxetine for less than a month and it's going ok. During the first 2 weeks, I felt surprising amazing. I had a new love of life. The week after, I felt suicidal, I felt worse and I just wanted to stay in bed and never leave. I feel constantly nauseous which isn't good. This week, I have felt a little calmer. I feel 'normal'. I hope I stay like this and just level out..."

SamSx April 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Following the death of my 3 year old daughter I started taking this also Valdoxan at night and anti calm during the day I also suffer from anxiety , Prozac has helped me get up in the day time and go out and changed my attitude also obviously it's false happiness but it helps me forget my pain and have a giggle during the day it eases my pain"

calla92 April 16, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I was on 20 mg for PMS and I CANT TELL YOU ENOUGH IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE ! I feel great , yes there are side effects but seriously I can deal with that. I nearly lost my husband and family due to my moods. I have only been on it for a couple of months but WOW it helped me be in control of me! "

Kay 12345 April 15, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I started taking Fluoxetine for depression and realized a week or so later my hot flashes decreased in intensity and frequency. I thought I was imagining until I found this site and read the comments. 20m has made me a happier, more comfortable person!"

Jan K April 12, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This medication is a life saver. I think Prozac has saved my life and made my thinking more clear. I had been struggling with mental illness for years before I tried prozac. I had been diagnosed with adhd and bipolar disorder (even though I never had a manic episode). I had tried other medications. After a suicide attempt, I tried zoloft, however, there was no effect. After this ssri, I tried other medications and everything made me unbelievably worse. After trying medications like lithium, lamictal, depakote, and abilify; I finally was put on 10 mg prozac and then 20 mg. This was it. I felt an instant recovery after 3 weeks, where my mind finally woke up. I felt a part of my brain, which was not working, was now working. It was lifesaving."

Al Pac (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Started this med with serious apprehension due to bad side effects of other SSRI drugs, but WOW! What a difference. It takes nearly two months for things to balance out but I feel like my self again. Euthymic (normal non-depressed, reasonably positive mood) with in a normal range and anxiety at a normal level. I have done two job interviews and started a new job with no panic attacks. Please remember that medication is only one part of recovery. I have practice mindfulness daily as well as see a counsellor to tackle the route of my problems but this medication has allowed me to function again..........happy"

Dragonballs April 8, 2016

For Depression: "I started taking Prozac (fluxoetine) for bulimia and depression. The first four weeks I had side effects like: crazy nightmares, waking up in the middle of the night with extreme panic and feeling disconnected from reality. It was hard but my doctor also said that the more side effects you have in the beginning, the better the medication will work on your brain. So don't give up! After about 4 weeks a switch turned on! I felt like myself, even better then myself, for the first time in years! I got happier, more confident, more energy, and the bulimia stopped! It was truly a life saver. I didn't notice any sexual stuff, I was horny as usual! And all the other side effects disappeared. I didn't feel emotionally disconnected, just more stable."

Amamama April 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Started more as supplement to wellbutrin. But I got more from this so I quit wellbutrin and take this at 20mg. feel great. Calm and clear. Focused and motivated. Side effects were mild...vivid dreams and absolutely zero appetite. Eat lunch and thats it. Not hungry the rest of the day. Great for motivation and clarity."

Bobalaneo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: "I been taking Prozac for 3 monthes I don't binge or purge anymore I only throw up when I'm sick . I was thinking about suicide but now I'm 3 month purge free. I'm confident that if I stay on it I can live the rest of my life bulimia free. Bulimia is a ghost of my past now . Peace Michael "

Geojhkj April 6, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Started the drug for anxiety related to perimenopause. Hot flashes have only increased in number and severity. The meds don't seem to do anything to help."

drkk April 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I was prescribed this drug for panic disorder and was on it for 2 weeks. I have never felt wise in my entire life. I did bit eat or drink unless forced, spiraled into depression, and just was not the excited loving person I normally am. I world go home and state at the wall for 5 hours then crawl into bed and sleep. I had nightmares each night. I felt dead and like I was floating above my body. My friends and teachers became more worried than before. I had to get off that pill"

kklr (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016