User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Borderline Personality Disorder 1 reviews 6 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 29 medications

2.7
Dissociative Identity Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 489 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by Happy Seahorse:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It works really well my mood and depression are better. My only possible complaint is a constant upset stomach.

January 27, 2015 10:45 PM

Review by Jlo Marie:

For Depression: This isn't a miracle pill but it does help. I'm a bigger girl was very depressed wasn't focused, couldn't and wouldn't do nothing lazy but this has helped me with my depression helped me lose weight and helped with my feelings. Love this I'm so clam and happy.

January 24, 2015 11:25 AM

Review by lorrelly (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I started with a very low dose to treat depression - 10mg. I also had become quite the 'alcoholic'; binge drinking right down to the last drop. Had no motivation and lots of self pity. Prozac helped me recover my lost personality; gave me hope and curbed the drinking to full time sobriety. I take 20mg a day - I would suggest that folks give it two months before giving up. I'm glad I did. Nine months of no drinking and I work full time.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 4:33 PM

Review by piegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I am so happy that I finally received a diagnosis and treatment! Ever since I was about 19 years old (29 now) I have dealt with depression that came in waves. My anxiety and obsessive tendencies didn't begin until I was 22 and had the military. I always thought that the high stress situation just fed into my depression and caused anxiety and obsession. I finally decided to seek help and I was shocked to find out that I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder which causes depression and anxiety. I started on Prozac and within the first 6 weeks I felt a rush of relief. I no longer obsessed over the smallest things. I feel so much happier and my friends and family notice the difference big time!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 11:37 PM

Review by Simone1013 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Keeps my moods within a normal range. It allows me to experience sad feelings and happy feelings Does not leave me with a blank face or blank feelings, like other antidepressants did.

January 22, 2015 6:13 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Had Panic attacks for 3 years until started on Prozac. Stopped after two weeks. Made a wonderful difference in my anxiety and depression.

January 14, 2015 6:54 PM

Review by Tiffanee123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I am totally shocked, but it actually worked. Extremely well. If only I had discovered this sooner I might still have a boyfriend....

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 10:33 PM

Review by Tiffers1:

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I can't believe it, but this actually worked. No more crazy breakdowns before my period that damage my life irreparably. If only I'd discovered this sooner I might still have a boyfriend.

January 3, 2015 12:04 PM

Review by Tiger beck (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have bipolar and was put on 750mg of Depokote and 5mg of olanzapine, I later started suffering from depression so my psychiatrist put me on fluoxetine. All I can say is this medicine saved my life, I cannot believe the difference, I am a much happier person. I tried taking fluoxetine without olanzapine and couldn't sleep so went back on olanzipine at a low dose.

December 20, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by eh11111:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: On 10 mg I stopped blushing, thought I became social. It helped for social anxiety even though I was taking it for depression. I don't know though, because I had panic attacks, muscle stiffness (dislocated my shoulder), was manic, heard vioces on 20mg. 20mg was extremely intense, blew my anxiety way up. Very scary.

December 20, 2014 5:24 AM

Review by Rakel Ann (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 years or more now and I can tell you it has been the best decision I've ever made. I was put on for OCD and depression as well as anxiety and the constant hand washing is a thing of the past! When on it I feel like a happier person wanting to do more things and have become more outgoing! As like any medicine, there are side effects at first, but funnily enough I don't think I had any. Don't worry if you feel horrible when you first get on them, you sometimes have to go down to come all the way back up!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2014 8:32 PM

Review by Blove21:

For Depression: I've been on fluoxetine for 8 years plus for depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I thought I can do without it so I stopped several times in my 8 years and I can tell you that was a mistake. I have severe depression and my anxiety goes through the roof and death would be a welcoming concept. But I know I can't live without the medicines. It makes me think categorize my thoughts and I think more logically without compromise.

December 9, 2014 10:34 AM

Review by EmBo333:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I am one of the few people who doesn't suffer from some mixed form of depression & anxiety; I'm straight anxious. I have been on 10-20 mg Prozac for about 7 months now - starting was a little rocky in terms of heightened anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and nausea, but those leveled off after 3 wks. Now, in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and daily mental work, I have to say that this medicine really has helped me get to a place where I can actually implement permanent habits and positive thought cycles and RELAX, whereas before I had a lot of trouble not being stuck as a result of my ruminating, anxiety, fear, guilt, etc. It's also been really great for my marriage, and my husband has been a big teammate. It's been good.

December 8, 2014 2:26 PM

Review by Supermom77 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I was prescribed fluoxetine for premenstrual dysphoric disorder. For the last 5 years I took Remeron for depression, in which did nothing to help with PMDD. I gained 60 lbs within a 3 month period of being on it. Well 2 months ago my doctor switched me to 10 mg fluoxetine. The side effects were a nightmare for the first two weeks. Excessive drowsiness, nausea, increased anxiety especially in the morning, diarrhea, completely lost my appetite. Well I'm glad I hung in there because the side effects went away, my mood improved tremendously, and on top of that I lost 20 lbs in the first 1.5 months. My appetite has improved. Very happy about the weight loss, but I feel that 20mg would be a little more effective in treating PMDD symptoms. Overall its great.

December 5, 2014 3:15 AM

Review by Momshappy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I finally had the guts to mention my depression to my doctor, Thank God! I was depressed for years and was at the point of uncontrollable crying, missing work because of it. This was not the wife and mother I wanted to be so I finally asked for help. It has changed my life. No more depression and many things that used to cause me stress bother me much less or not at all. Not many side effects except fatigue, appetite loss, and a spacey feeling that only lasted a few days. Please don't wait to ask for help. I wish I had done this long ago.

December 2, 2014 9:46 AM

Review by Rose1379873:

For Depression: Didn't work at all, found it only made me feel worse.

November 29, 2014 5:18 AM

Review by ljj2014:

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: Was prescribed fluoxetine and have been taking for about 6 months. Was prescribed this for my perimenopause moodiness. Everyone was getting on my nerves I just wanted to scream every time one of my co-workers asked me a simple question. This has been life changing for me, things don't bother me like they did before. I wish I would have told my Gyn about my moodiness with PMS would have been nice to take this for that.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2014 12:03 AM

Review by rach-mae:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I've battled depression for five years and anxiety since I was a kid. The first two weeks on Prozac, everything got ten times worse. I couldn't function or stop crying or hating myself. But after that, the depression subsided. I'm more confident, calm, and I shy from negative thoughts and sadness rather than welcoming those things like I used to. It has helped my depression an incredible amount, but I have seen a little less improvement in the anxiety (even with cognitive behavioral therapy). Side effects for me are lots of yawning and loss of appetite.

November 18, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by AuntiePoomPoom777:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I've taken Prozac a few times starting at 22. That 1st time was a nightmare! I literally lost time- only remember crying all the time...I don't even remember how long I took it! But that WAS 25 yrs ago. So I was deathly afraid to try it again til about 6 yrs ago. That time it was a lifesaver! I felt my mood lift alot after a week, then even more after a month. These results lasted for several yrs with some sexual side effects, but less than with Zoloft & Lexapro (which also caused waking WIRED every 4 hrs). After a few yrs it felt like I was on nothing at all so I switched to Pristiq which again, saved my life. Now I'm back to Prozac. But I'm sure it's more about what's going on in my life. Nothing works without situations improving as well.

November 18, 2014 1:14 PM

Review by kd3h (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I've been on every antidepressant known to mankind and they were awful to me. Either the side effects were too bad or it turned me into a complete zombie to the point work was out of the question, and then my dr said we would try one more called Prozac and the reason he had not prescribed it before was because it took 6-8 weeks to reach full effect as where the others took less then half that time. I started out taking 10mg because I have always been very sensitive to antidepressants and their side effects. For about the first 2 or 3 weeks I experience light anxiety... Then finally the 6 weeks passed and still nothing, but then finally about 8 weeks into the mediation, I feel like Santa Clause on steroids! It has saved my life!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 12:42 PM

Review by Savedme:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have had 0 panic attacks all my life until last Oct when I got my 1st one which I called 911. 2 days later I had another one in which I was taken to the ER and given Ativan they said due to panic attack/anxiety. Scared me both times felt like I was dying. The nurse said she took Lexapro so I asked my doc to let me try that one first since the nurse had great luck, but I didn't like it! My coworker told me she takes Prozac so I switched meds to try it and WOW, not anxious like I want to pass out at the grocery store or in the middle of a packed restaurant! I have been taking 20mg and my doc said since I had such success he wants me on 40mg. This medication Prozac has let me live life again and not feel like I'm going to pass out in public.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by Lorenzo P:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: In 1995, I was miserable for no particular reason and was diagnosed with depression and prescribed Prozac. Great life, depression in check. In 2013, I weened myself off it because I didn't think I needed it anymore. As luck would have it, I hit a period of challenging events in life that they brain interpreted as trauma. To cope, I began drinking a little which evolved into daily. I concluded that I had gone off Prozac, decreased self control and created a personal crisis. I'm back on Prozac and my moods have leveled off and I so far have the ability to abstain. I won't go off it again.

November 14, 2014 6:32 PM

Review by Male 47:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I started on 20 mg of Prozac for GAD. The first two weeks have been hell - insomnia, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, and anxiety. The side effects seem to be subsiding. Now more balanced than before.

November 9, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by jp. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: It worked great for me.. but towards the end put on 10 pounds.. but it really kept my mind positive and stable.

November 5, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by gigismom74:

For Anxiety and Stress: I had Post Partum Depression after my baby was born and ignored it thinking it would go away..after 18 months..it blew up in my face. I had severe panic attacks was constantly in a state of fear and vertigo. I could not sit still. I would dry heave every morning or before I had to go anywhere, severe social anxiety, severe hypochondria. I would spend hours looking up a disease I thought I had at a specific time. I would cry at the drop of a hat. Xanax was helping but maybe for an hour a day. I had huge outbursts of anger. I would keep thinking negative thoughts..thought that I could not live any longer like this. I was reluctant to take it at first but then said...I can't feel any worse. I've been on it since Aug 8th 2014.

November 2, 2014 6:30 PM