User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Borderline Personality Disorder 1 reviews 6 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.8
Dissociative Identity Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 457 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by liked prozac (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Prozac for approx 25 years. Whenever I try to get off of it I never feel as good as I do when I take it. I recommend this medicine to treat depression, anxiety, bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder and stress.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by delarla123:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I feel good...not great...but better than before. I can't lose weight and I am on 40mg.

October 10, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by Dave UK:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I've been taking this now for about six weeks. At first it worked well, but for the last two weeks it seems to have stopped working. I've been taking ten tablets a day for the last 6 days, that's 200mg daily, of fluoxetine and it does nothing. I'm going to call my doctor and ask to try something else.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 11:30 AM

Review by nurseminnie:

For Bulimia: I have taken Prozac for depression intermittently for a few years it has taken me until tonight to realise that when I have gone for a few weeks without taking it is the times when I binge eat the most. Also I have been taking it a various different times of the day. Tonight I took it at 11.00pm and slept until 3.00am reading these articles on this and other pages has made me realise where I have gone wrong. So now is the time to put things right again. I feel so much happier just knowing what I know now.

October 3, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by onalevel (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: I was prescribed fluoxetine for anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder about a year ago but I stopped it for around three months and went back on it around six weeks ago. I also tried citalopram but I didn't like them. I've also had treatment but I have to say fluoxetine has beaten it all, I've never been so mentally free, it feels surreal and seems too good to be true. I haven't been sleeping well and I was sweating a hell of a lot at first.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Cristina908:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking this for a month now. I am taking Fluoxetine 10 mg for depression and anxiety. I am 20 years old. I have had anxiety and been having panic attacks for years. Recently, it's gotten worse and I gathered the courage to go to a Dr. He prescribed this medication for 3 months. I started feeling the effects about 2 1/2 weeks in. The daily pangs of anxiety are gone, and I feel so much better already. I am so glad I went to the Dr. and so thankful for this medication. I can describe the feeling as normal, and relieved. The side effects I have experienced have been headache while taking it on an empty stomach. Besides that, I have absolutely no complaints.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by Dr jeckle (taken for less than 1 month):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I went from 20mg to 60mg and felt tip top. It curbed my obsessive compulsive disorder and it no longer ruled my life completely. Unfortunately I was feeling that good I started drinking, TO OFTEN, which stopped the medication working. I then convinced myself it would no longer work even though I stopped drinking. I then went onto citalopram, which did nothing for me at all. I then missed a docs appointment and then decided I would get through it all without tablets. I was ok for a while until the anxiety, OCD started to bully me again, I was a nightmare to live with, countless arguments with my missus, I couldn't handle anything shouting, screaming at my children. I'm back on fluoxedtine now, and really regret coming off it like I did.

September 28, 2014 1:24 PM

Review by aem0020 (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Prozac worked wonders for my anxiety and mild depression. I always struggled with PMS-related anxiety, but after some big life changes, morning anxiety was more and more frequent and my motivation and drive to accomplish anything was low. I didn't want to get out of bed, even though nothing was wrong with my life. I just had an overarching feeling of hopelessness. Went to the doctor and she prescribed 20mg. Had bad nausea the first two weeks, then it went away, but I was still struggling with anxiety some mornings. She bumped me up to 40mg, and although it's only been a few days, I can totally tell a difference. I'm more motivated, happy and content. No anxiety. No nausea. Grateful for this med. I feel good for the first time in awhile.

September 23, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by spinelessplague:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been an anxiety/depression patient for 5 years now. Have taken all kinds of medicines have had stints of quitting only to fall back on the meds, went medication free for 3 full months before symptoms began to show again. can honestly say that FOR ME Prozac has allowed me to live life. At my worst I wasn't even able to go in a store even if it was only for one item. Now I can take my kids grocery shopping with no issues. Like I said FOR ME this has worked.

September 20, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Kissoflife123:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It made me crazy. I couldn't eat or sleep or sit still.

September 19, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Worked well for a 5 years. No side effect. .

September 18, 2014 7:23 PM

Review by ms.Goldy girl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I started fluoxetine 20mg 2yrs.ago, i was very scared at first taking it but after about 6 weeks I felt back to myself again with my depression and anxiety. I took it for almost 2yrs, then stopped because I felt better now 8 months later I'm back on it praying it will help again.

September 16, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by Southern Summer:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been taking fluoxetine for about five months now. It has been a God send for me! I am notoriously moody, possibly from BPD, and I do have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder where I have repetitive thoughts and the only way I can describe Prozac is that it feels like a vice grip on your brain that made you think about things over and over, releases completely. I feel so in control and wherever I put my focus, it stays without drifting back. I love this medication so much I will never leave it. The only complaint I have is that it does take forever to work. Forget about the 6 to 8 week rule, it will take a few months. And when it works, you will feel so amazing. For me, 60 mgs is ideal.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by prozac saved my life (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: I would not be alive today if not for Prozac. I was throwing up 5 times a day and so desperately unhappy I often thought of suicide. I escaped an abusive childhood only to move on to the living hell that is bulimia. Within two weeks of Prozac my all consuming thoughts about food, weight & throwing up diminished and I started focusing on my future, college and doing something other than throwing up all day. I weaned myself off of it after about 2 years of being bulimia free. I was bulimic for 13 years and haven't thrown up now in 15 years (except for the flu). Please try it for bulimia, no negative side effects that I remember.

September 12, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by renee5710 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bulimia: Started taking Prozac for bulimia/depression about three weeks ago. The first week I was on a low dose (10mg) with no positive or negative side effects. The second week I was on 20mg and was less depressed but still not a positive effect for my problem. I'm at the end of week 3 and on 40mg and I can really see a difference now. Haven't had the need to binge/purge in 5 days and my appetite has decreased to where I only eat the regular 3 meals/day. Because of this I've actually LOST 3lbs. Also I'm more motivated to do things now with this medicine. I'm very happy with this medication so far. Only negative is I've noticed it's been harder to go to the bathroom. Not sure if it's the medicine, but it's the only thing I can think of.

September 11, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by ckris:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I have been in this medicine for 7 months, first started on 20mg, now increasing to 40mg. I am taking it for depression and anxiety. It takes about a month before I see some effects. Mood was lifted and feel calmer but can't stop yawning. In the beginning, I did felt increased anxiety before this subsides...I will continue to take this medicine and hope to get better.

September 10, 2014 9:50 AM

Review by joey777:

For Anxiety and Stress: Prozac has really helped me a lot. I was having all kinds of anxiety thoughts and having stomach pain caused my anxiety. I had a eye twitch for about a month that went away. I highly recommend this or Lexapro for anxiety!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by prozac patty:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Prozac took my worries away. That is all I wanted. I wasn't depressed. I used to wake up at night having bad dreams and worries that went over and over in my head. I couldn't sleep. After beginning Prozac that all stopped. It did unfortunately give me an "I don't care" attitude about what other people thought of me. My sister complained about that with me and said i was difficult to talk to. So I stopped taking it (gradually). Now I wake up every night again with terrible anxiety thoughts and dreams (mostly about things that are happening in my life). I haven't heard anyone talking about this. Any comments?

August 26, 2014 9:47 AM

Review by Anon4:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for : Was prescribed this medication for outpatient treatment from anorexia/bulimia and laxative abuse after leaving the hospital. Took 60mg a day with scheduled breakfast. This was the medication that boosted my recovery. I was able to lessen some of my very troublesome anxiety around food, reduce obsessive thoughts, and be able to take initiative towards getting better. My treatment team has also been very happy with the outcome of this medication. Just some reminders: You have to drink or eat something with this, or you will have acid reflux. Also, watch out for mood swings that may happen when you first start taking the medication.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 2:37 PM

Review by angelolanding (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I have recently been diagnosed with stage l cancer (luckily it was caught early) but none the less it isn't great news. After surgery my doc described to me what to watch out for. Well ultimately I must have had a panic attack and went to the ER with intense chest pains. My doc prescribed Prozac I have only taken it once and got a headache plus I was feeling a little self conscience about it. But after reading some of the reviews I will go ahead and continue with the treatment. Because now when I start feeling stressed those intense chest pains come back.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Bradstreetbassler (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: This medication works great for anxiety stress and panic attacks, so glad.

August 16, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Miss0rocks:

For Depression: I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 weeks now. I started at 10mg then went up to 20mg after a week. The side effects were terrible the first several weeks. Extreme fatigue, vomiting, anxiety, major twitching. However I chose to stick with it and hope for the best. The side effects started fading after about 5 weeks and I also started taking the meds at night which helped with the daytime fatigue. I can now say my generalized anxiety has almost disappeared and I've felt improvement with my mood and have become more positive. My doc has upped my dose to 40mg so hopefully this brings even more results. I encourage everyone just starting this medication to try to make it through the start up side effects

August 14, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by Cateliza:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Today is only my first day, and I have to say I got really angry with something that happened at work and normally I can shrug this off, but it's like I couldn't control it, and was super quite that morning then through the day I felt better. I've had headaches and bad diarrhea. The headache happened before the medicine so I'm not sure it's related and very slight nausea. I'll blog again once a little more time has passed.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Boonmister (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was on 20mg for a few years which worked well. Still had some stressful periods with relationship issues. I then went to 40mg and I kinda felt more confident - the stress proof feeling. Some people say this is only a placebo effect but its not entirely. Drawbacks are slight zombie feeling sometimes - and probably a bit more restless - but normally results in me getting more work done. My doctor said to try to go down to 20mg. When I varied the dose, I had a cold and some work stress at the same time and it wasn't very good. I would recommend having some psychologist support for changing doses. You need a proper plan. My family doctor didnt really give me a plan.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by KitkT:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: Have been on Prozac since it came out many years ago. I had severe panic disorder with anxiety attacks. I was also agoraphobic. Since being in Prozac I was able to return to work, go to college. Now that I am retired I am able to travel to different states.

August 7, 2014 2:28 PM