User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Borderline Personality Disorder 1 reviews 6 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.8
Dissociative Identity Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 450 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by aem0020 (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Prozac worked wonders for my anxiety and mild depression. I always struggled with PMS-related anxiety, but after some big life changes, morning anxiety was more and more frequent and my motivation and drive to accomplish anything was low. I didn't want to get out of bed, even though nothing was wrong with my life. I just had an overarching feeling of hopelessness. Went to the doctor and she prescribed 20mg. Had bad nausea the first two weeks, then it went away, but I was still struggling with anxiety some mornings. She bumped me up to 40mg, and although it's only been a few days, I can totally tell a difference. I'm more motivated, happy and content. No anxiety. No nausea. Grateful for this med. I feel good for the first time in awhile.

September 23, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by spinelessplague:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been an anxiety/depression patient for 5 years now. Have taken all kinds of medicines have had stints of quitting only to fall back on the meds, went medication free for 3 full months before symptoms began to show again. can honestly say that FOR ME Prozac has allowed me to live life. At my worst I wasn't even able to go in a store even if it was only for one item. Now I can take my kids grocery shopping with no issues. Like I said FOR ME this has worked.

September 20, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Kissoflife123:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It made me crazy. I couldn't eat or sleep or sit still.

September 19, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Worked well for a 5 years. No side effect. .

September 18, 2014 7:23 PM

Review by ms.Goldy girl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I started fluoxetine 20mg 2yrs.ago, i was very scared at first taking it but after about 6 weeks I felt back to myself again with my depression and anxiety. I took it for almost 2yrs, then stopped because I felt better now 8 months later I'm back on it praying it will help again.

September 16, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by Southern Summer:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been taking fluoxetine for about five months now. It has been a God send for me! I am notoriously moody, possibly from BPD, and I do have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder where I have repetitive thoughts and the only way I can describe Prozac is that it feels like a vice grip on your brain that made you think about things over and over, releases completely. I feel so in control and wherever I put my focus, it stays without drifting back. I love this medication so much I will never leave it. The only complaint I have is that it does take forever to work. Forget about the 6 to 8 week rule, it will take a few months. And when it works, you will feel so amazing. For me, 60 mgs is ideal.

September 15, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by prozac saved my life (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: I would not be alive today if not for Prozac. I was throwing up 5 times a day and so desperately unhappy I often thought of suicide. I escaped an abusive childhood only to move on to the living hell that is bulimia. Within two weeks of Prozac my all consuming thoughts about food, weight & throwing up diminished and I started focusing on my future, college and doing something other than throwing up all day. I weaned myself off of it after about 2 years of being bulimia free. I was bulimic for 13 years and haven't thrown up now in 15 years (except for the flu). Please try it for bulimia, no negative side effects that I remember.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by renee5710 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bulimia: Started taking Prozac for bulimia/depression about three weeks ago. The first week I was on a low dose (10mg) with no positive or negative side effects. The second week I was on 20mg and was less depressed but still not a positive effect for my problem. I'm at the end of week 3 and on 40mg and I can really see a difference now. Haven't had the need to binge/purge in 5 days and my appetite has decreased to where I only eat the regular 3 meals/day. Because of this I've actually LOST 3lbs. Also I'm more motivated to do things now with this medicine. I'm very happy with this medication so far. Only negative is I've noticed it's been harder to go to the bathroom. Not sure if it's the medicine, but it's the only thing I can think of.

September 11, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by ckris:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I have been in this medicine for 7 months, first started on 20mg, now increasing to 40mg. I am taking it for depression and anxiety. It takes about a month before I see some effects. Mood was lifted and feel calmer but can't stop yawning. In the beginning, I did felt increased anxiety before this subsides...I will continue to take this medicine and hope to get better.

September 10, 2014 9:50 AM

Review by joey777:

For Anxiety and Stress: Prozac has really helped me a lot. I was having all kinds of anxiety thoughts and having stomach pain caused my anxiety. I had a eye twitch for about a month that went away. I highly recommend this or Lexapro for anxiety!

August 27, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by prozac patty:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Prozac took my worries away. That is all I wanted. I wasn't depressed. I used to wake up at night having bad dreams and worries that went over and over in my head. I couldn't sleep. After beginning Prozac that all stopped. It did unfortunately give me an "I don't care" attitude about what other people thought of me. My sister complained about that with me and said i was difficult to talk to. So I stopped taking it (gradually). Now I wake up every night again with terrible anxiety thoughts and dreams (mostly about things that are happening in my life). I haven't heard anyone talking about this. Any comments?

August 26, 2014 9:47 AM

Review by Anon4:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for : Was prescribed this medication for outpatient treatment from anorexia/bulimia and laxative abuse after leaving the hospital. Took 60mg a day with scheduled breakfast. This was the medication that boosted my recovery. I was able to lessen some of my very troublesome anxiety around food, reduce obsessive thoughts, and be able to take initiative towards getting better. My treatment team has also been very happy with the outcome of this medication. Just some reminders: You have to drink or eat something with this, or you will have acid reflux. Also, watch out for mood swings that may happen when you first start taking the medication.

August 23, 2014 2:37 PM

Review by angelolanding (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I have recently been diagnosed with stage l cancer (luckily it was caught early) but none the less it isn't great news. After surgery my doc described to me what to watch out for. Well ultimately I must have had a panic attack and went to the ER with intense chest pains. My doc prescribed Prozac I have only taken it once and got a headache plus I was feeling a little self conscience about it. But after reading some of the reviews I will go ahead and continue with the treatment. Because now when I start feeling stressed those intense chest pains come back.

August 20, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Bradstreetbassler (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: This medication works great for anxiety stress and panic attacks, so glad.

August 16, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Miss0rocks:

For Depression: I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 weeks now. I started at 10mg then went up to 20mg after a week. The side effects were terrible the first several weeks. Extreme fatigue, vomiting, anxiety, major twitching. However I chose to stick with it and hope for the best. The side effects started fading after about 5 weeks and I also started taking the meds at night which helped with the daytime fatigue. I can now say my generalized anxiety has almost disappeared and I've felt improvement with my mood and have become more positive. My doc has upped my dose to 40mg so hopefully this brings even more results. I encourage everyone just starting this medication to try to make it through the start up side effects

August 14, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by Cateliza:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Today is only my first day, and I have to say I got really angry with something that happened at work and normally I can shrug this off, but it's like I couldn't control it, and was super quite that morning then through the day I felt better. I've had headaches and bad diarrhea. The headache happened before the medicine so I'm not sure it's related and very slight nausea. I'll blog again once a little more time has passed.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Boonmister (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was on 20mg for a few years which worked well. Still had some stressful periods with relationship issues. I then went to 40mg and I kinda felt more confident - the stress proof feeling. Some people say this is only a placebo effect but its not entirely. Drawbacks are slight zombie feeling sometimes - and probably a bit more restless - but normally results in me getting more work done. My doctor said to try to go down to 20mg. When I varied the dose, I had a cold and some work stress at the same time and it wasn't very good. I would recommend having some psychologist support for changing doses. You need a proper plan. My family doctor didnt really give me a plan.

August 8, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by KitkT:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: Have been on Prozac since it came out many years ago. I had severe panic disorder with anxiety attacks. I was also agoraphobic. Since being in Prozac I was able to return to work, go to college. Now that I am retired I am able to travel to different states.

August 7, 2014 2:28 PM

Review by OnceStuckInLimbo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: Fluoxetine is pretty gentle compared to most other anti-depressant medicines. I had a good response from Zoloft almost 20 years ago, and when I had breakthrough depression I was switched to Effexor. Effexor worked but was prohibitively expensive. Then I was finally stated on Prozac(fluoxetine). I had zero side effects during the first week--which was vastly different from my experience with the other two--and at 40mg/day fluoxetine seems just as efficacious. Fluoxetine has worked well for my panic, depression, and general anxiety. One must give it time to work. For people that are really struggling six weeks can seem a lifetime, but for many that is how long it takes for fluoxetine to 'work'.

August 7, 2014 9:41 AM

Review by Cloe w (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: After the birth of my son, I was left with post natal depression under the guise of constant severe anxiety and as many as 20 panic attacks a day leaving me house bound and useless. After 2 years of battling on I realized it was time to see a doctor. I was prescribed 20mg fluoxetine once a day. After reason side effects and online reviews I was terrified to say the least! Never the less after a few weeks of extreme tiredness and weight loss (which was actually a Benefit) I am now able to say PROZAC SAVED MY LIFE. I am back to my normal self with very few side effects, and I have never felt better. I am also undergoing CBT in order to be able to come off the tablets and still be anxiety free but I cannot thank fluoxetine enough!

August 5, 2014 10:45 AM

Review by emjay95 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I took prozac several years ago, and it worked a little bit for a while. Often, though, it made me feel really lethargic, sleepy, and extremely apathetic to most things. It sort of did it's job, but not well enough, as I have now switched to something that works better.

July 31, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by Amgama:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Prozac is really a life saver.

July 26, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by SarahSwar:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: I've struggled with bulimia (as well as depression/mood disorder) for about eight years now. I've been on Prozac three separate times (I quit taking it during my pregnancies) and I stop binging and purging every time I get back on it. It has also benefited my relationships and improved my parenting abilities. Every other medication I tried was just too hard on me, but Prozac doesn't affect me in any noticeably negative way.

July 22, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by not bad, but sad. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Postpartum Depression: Was able to lift me out of a severe Postpartum depression.

July 21, 2014 10:33 PM

Review by LL_CO (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I told my OBGYN that I was having a lot of depression and Rage associated with PMS (heightened by life stress). She recommended fluoxetine for the time between ovulation and when my period starts. I started that day (perfect timing). The side effects that first cycle were extreme. I was exhausted, sweating more, LOW/NO sex drive, couldn't achieve orgasm, numb emotions, but I read online that these subside over time {AND THEY HAVE}. I have gone through 7 cycles with the medication. I hope to reduce from 20mg to 10mg and have done reduced some my first 6 days to 10mg and 20 mg the remaining. It is working well for me and allowing me some emotional freedom to get back to exercising, etc. I am grateful for this medication! So is hubby.

July 13, 2014 10:32 AM