User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Premature Ejaculation 0 reviews 0 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 29 medications

2.7
Dissociative Identity Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 500 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by tomo15:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I suffered extreme depression very much when my mum passed over and the doctor put me on these. They helped me think straight and think about all the bad things I'm still on them but only take one or two a week that keeps me happy and normal.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 7:50 AM

Review by Horrid dreams (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with parasuicide and major depressive disorder. I also suffer from obsessions, rather than compulsions, and have anxiety. This was supposed to be a cure-all for me until I started having VIVID nightmares that I thought only happened because I was maybe sleeping better. Turns out, Prozac made me lose sleep and I would wake up crying with my heart pounding. My brother had died, so having vivid nightmares related to him dying and other people dying was absolutely intolerable. I would lay in bed and cry because I was afraid to go to sleep. I would force myself to stay up so I didn't have to dream. It was a living nightmare. I had no idea that that was a possible side effect, and the medicine was put on my allergy list.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 9:07 AM

Review by Paulied:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was on Paxil 40mg for years and my anxiety was very minimal. I switched to Prozac couple of months ago because I thought the weight gain and side effects from Paxil was too much. Now after about 8 weeks on Prozac 20mg my anxiety isn't getting better and I'm often dealing with anxiety/panic again. My Np tried to switch me from 20 mg daily to 40mg 3 days a week but I thought that was making anxiety worse.

February 16, 2015 12:07 PM

Review by bkms (taken for 10 years or more):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Helps with depression and anxiety.

February 8, 2015 9:44 PM

Review by panic_bug:

For Panic Disorder: I suffered panic attacks and anxiety most of my life but started having several a day after a move and job change. I tried Zoloft 25 mg first and had extreme jitteriness, nausea and shaking (sertraline reaction). My doctor switched me to a low dose of Prozac to start with (5 mg...half a 10 mg tablet). After 2 weeks he moved me to 10 mg but I had nausea and shakiness. He said to go back to 5 mg. I had to continue Xanax as needed for my first month. The attacks slowly became less severe then disappeared. 1 month now since an attack and I only take 5 mg. This has changed my life.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 10:37 PM

Review by Relieved7:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I honestly feel that this medication saved my sanity and my life. After going through an extreme amount of stress in a short time, and then having a miscarriage, I started having extreme panic attacks out of the blue. I was having them almost every day; one night I was laying in the couch for four hours shaking uncontrollably and thinking I was going to die. Finally saw a psychiatrist who put me on 20 mg of Prozac per day. At first, it made me dizzy and gave me headaches, and I couldn't sleep. I was ready to give up and try something else, but finally after about 6-7 full weeks, I started to feel better and the panic attacks stopped. Haven't had an attack in over 3 months and I feel like myself again. I am also taking 0.5 mg of Klonopin to sleep.

February 1, 2015 1:18 PM

Review by Happy Seahorse:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It works really well my mood and depression are better. My only possible complaint is a constant upset stomach.

January 27, 2015 10:45 PM

Review by Jlo Marie:

For Depression: This isn't a miracle pill but it does help. I'm a bigger girl was very depressed wasn't focused, couldn't and wouldn't do nothing lazy but this has helped me with my depression helped me lose weight and helped with my feelings. Love this I'm so clam and happy.

January 24, 2015 11:25 AM

Review by lorrelly (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I started with a very low dose to treat depression - 10mg. I also had become quite the 'alcoholic'; binge drinking right down to the last drop. Had no motivation and lots of self pity. Prozac helped me recover my lost personality; gave me hope and curbed the drinking to full time sobriety. I take 20mg a day - I would suggest that folks give it two months before giving up. I'm glad I did. Nine months of no drinking and I work full time.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 4:33 PM

Review by piegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I am so happy that I finally received a diagnosis and treatment! Ever since I was about 19 years old (29 now) I have dealt with depression that came in waves. My anxiety and obsessive tendencies didn't begin until I was 22 and had the military. I always thought that the high stress situation just fed into my depression and caused anxiety and obsession. I finally decided to seek help and I was shocked to find out that I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder which causes depression and anxiety. I started on Prozac and within the first 6 weeks I felt a rush of relief. I no longer obsessed over the smallest things. I feel so much happier and my friends and family notice the difference big time!

January 22, 2015 11:37 PM

Review by Simone1013 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Keeps my moods within a normal range. It allows me to experience sad feelings and happy feelings Does not leave me with a blank face or blank feelings, like other antidepressants did.

January 22, 2015 6:13 AM

Review by Nord:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been off Prozac for about 4 weeks now...after starting 2 years ago for a terrible depression/sadness/menopause. Wanted to take a Holiday to see what would happen. When on Prozac side effects like decrease sexual drive and slight weight gain, otherwise it put my menopause symptoms in control Decrease my hot flashes, helped my sadness, and gave relief for some mild OCD that I have had for years. Now when I am off the medicine I notice and increase in my OCD behaviors. Not concentrating as well at work. Sexual appetite is still not that great despite a wonderful patient husband (could still just be the menopause). Hot flashes have not really returned and I do not feel overwhelmingly sad. I will start Prozac tomorrow and see if it help with OCD.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2015 5:13 PM

Review by Melvin am (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Very good treatment option it was my first SSRI and I was taking it for Anxiety and other stress I couldn't handle, as well as some therapy and coping mechanisms this medicine is great. I take 10 mg and even that is enough to get rid of anxiety however it does make you lose your sex drive and can make you completely lose Interest in any sexual activity, but all in out its a good treatment.

January 20, 2015 4:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Had Panic attacks for 3 years until started on Prozac. Stopped after two weeks. Made a wonderful difference in my anxiety and depression.

January 14, 2015 6:54 PM

Review by Tiffanee123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I am totally shocked, but it actually worked. Extremely well. If only I had discovered this sooner I might still have a boyfriend....

January 3, 2015 10:33 PM

Review by Tiffers1:

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I can't believe it, but this actually worked. No more crazy breakdowns before my period that damage my life irreparably. If only I'd discovered this sooner I might still have a boyfriend.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 12:04 PM

Review by CaliforniaGuy77:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I used to have horrible nightmares, couldn't sleep sometimes because of visions in the dark, occasional sudden bouts of intense unjustified anger, etc. I've been on Prozac more or less (I'm not great about taking the pills) for 10 years now. I probably average 20 mg/day over time. If I stop taking it for several weeks, I will notice the angry spells starting to come back, etc, and that's my cue that I need to start taking it again. It has been very helpful for me. It's not a cure all, and maybe the highs of life are not as frequent, but they still come. And I'd rather have that and contentment than the awful lows. No free rides, but I enjoy my friends, exercise, family, and relationships. Overall, a Godsend for me.

December 22, 2014 3:17 AM

Review by Tiger beck (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have bipolar and was put on 750mg of Depokote and 5mg of olanzapine, I later started suffering from depression so my psychiatrist put me on fluoxetine. All I can say is this medicine saved my life, I cannot believe the difference, I am a much happier person. I tried taking fluoxetine without olanzapine and couldn't sleep so went back on olanzipine at a low dose.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by eh11111:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: On 10 mg I stopped blushing, thought I became social. It helped for social anxiety even though I was taking it for depression. I don't know though, because I had panic attacks, muscle stiffness (dislocated my shoulder), was manic, heard vioces on 20mg. 20mg was extremely intense, blew my anxiety way up. Very scary.

December 20, 2014 5:24 AM

Review by PsychGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: This is by far the best antidepressant I have ever taken. I took 10 mg brand name only and it completely took away my depression. It wasn't a "happy" pill; it just helped me to cope with the normal ups and downs of life like a regular person. It helped me to see that things that used to send me into suicidal despair, were really not the end of the world. I was more confident and assertive, it helped me to take baby steps out of the black pit I was in before, and try new things and be social again. It did turn out that I had some kind of allergy to the pill, which is the only reason I quit taking it. I would highly recommend trying brand name only, start out on a low dose and hang in there for 6 weeks before you decide if you like it or not.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2014 6:43 PM

Review by Kitty93 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: First 3 weeks on the medicine and I felt worse, I started self harming and experienced suicidal thoughts (though apparently this is quite common), I got worried so went back to doctors who upped my dose to 40mg. 40mg gave me headaches, made me feel quite aggressive, lost a bit of weight due to decreased appetite and kept me up at night. Went back to the doctors and told him side effects so he dropped it back down to 20mg to ween me off it so I could try Mirtazapine. A couple of days after speaking to the doctor, I started to feel a lot more positive and happy and touch wood, a week later and I feel the same! I was meant to start taking the Mirtazapine today, but I think the Fluoxetine has slowly kicked in so Im sticking with it!

December 12, 2014 2:17 PM

Review by Rakel Ann (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 years or more now and I can tell you it has been the best decision I've ever made. I was put on for OCD and depression as well as anxiety and the constant hand washing is a thing of the past! When on it I feel like a happier person wanting to do more things and have become more outgoing! As like any medicine, there are side effects at first, but funnily enough I don't think I had any. Don't worry if you feel horrible when you first get on them, you sometimes have to go down to come all the way back up!

December 11, 2014 8:32 PM

Review by Blove21:

For Depression: I've been on fluoxetine for 8 years plus for depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I thought I can do without it so I stopped several times in my 8 years and I can tell you that was a mistake. I have severe depression and my anxiety goes through the roof and death would be a welcoming concept. But I know I can't live without the medicines. It makes me think categorize my thoughts and I think more logically without compromise.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 10:34 AM

Review by EmBo333:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I am one of the few people who doesn't suffer from some mixed form of depression & anxiety; I'm straight anxious. I have been on 10-20 mg Prozac for about 7 months now - starting was a little rocky in terms of heightened anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and nausea, but those leveled off after 3 wks. Now, in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and daily mental work, I have to say that this medicine really has helped me get to a place where I can actually implement permanent habits and positive thought cycles and RELAX, whereas before I had a lot of trouble not being stuck as a result of my ruminating, anxiety, fear, guilt, etc. It's also been really great for my marriage, and my husband has been a big teammate. It's been good.

December 8, 2014 2:26 PM

Review by Supermom77 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I was prescribed fluoxetine for premenstrual dysphoric disorder. For the last 5 years I took Remeron for depression, in which did nothing to help with PMDD. I gained 60 lbs within a 3 month period of being on it. Well 2 months ago my doctor switched me to 10 mg fluoxetine. The side effects were a nightmare for the first two weeks. Excessive drowsiness, nausea, increased anxiety especially in the morning, diarrhea, completely lost my appetite. Well I'm glad I hung in there because the side effects went away, my mood improved tremendously, and on top of that I lost 20 lbs in the first 1.5 months. My appetite has improved. Very happy about the weight loss, but I feel that 20mg would be a little more effective in treating PMDD symptoms. Overall its great.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate