User Reviews for Ocella

6.5
Summary of Ocella reviews 69 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Ocella

Review by GloriaAnne:

For Menstrual Disorders: I have been on this for over a year. I was on Sydea previously for a year. This birth control works great. There are no cramps, it's a lighter flow, I'm more emotionally stable, it's shorter, and I only had one scare because I forgot to take it for two days in a row and my period came late. The only downside I've noticed is that I have almost NO sex drive now. But my insurance covers it all until I'm no longer considered a dependent/full time student.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 2:34 AM

Review by Sdolbee13:

For Birth Control: I've been using Ocella for a few months. I don't use condoms and I've had zero scares so far. I have hormonal acne and it's getting better slowly. My periods are amazing now. I have no cramps whatsoever. My moods are great. Not on birth control I am a crazy monster. My cramps are unbearable for days. I have not had much weight gain and my cravings are less than normal. So far I like this.

May 1, 2014 1:25 AM

Review by Kate77777:

For Birth Control: I have been on Ocella for a year now. I used to take Yaz which is in the family and loved it. I have definitely gained weight and having a hard time losing it. My moods are fine, I don't feel sick at all. I actually feel very normal. The downs I found beside the weight is I have zero sex drive! And I do get chest pains.

February 25, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by Sammy3663:

For Birth Control: Originally on Syeda, was switched to Ocella last month and this month and have had a continuous yeast infection.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2013 7:17 AM

Review by bb88 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: No significant weight gain, No cramping during period, Period lasts for a shorter amount of time, No heavy bleeding (no spotting, either). Overall, I'm very happy with Ocella. I'm 24 and have been taking it for 5 years. At this point, I'm not even sure how my body would react to not being on birth control since it has been so long.

September 13, 2013 2:24 PM

Review by Frenchie88:

For Birth Control: I tried Ortho Tri-Cyclen 2 years ago. I switched to Ocella 3 weeks later because Ortho Tri-Cyclen made me nauseous and made my gums itchy. I have experienced weight gain (8 lbs) caused by eating all my cravings. I've taken it from 2011 to now and haven't had any bad experiences.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Mary Ann f (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Menstrual Disorders: I used to take Sprintec to regulate my period and help with cramps which worked for a while but after 2 years my periods were back to being miserable. The first week or two on Ocella were tough, I was very nauseous, had stomach cramps and headaches but it all went away after the second week. The first day of my period the first 2 months was incredible! I didn't even feel like I had a period, but by day 2 my awful cramps were back. I spoke to my Gyno and we've decided I can take Ocella continuously. Next week is the first placebo week that I'm skipping and I will only have 3-4 periods a year. Besides the first couple of weeks I haven't had any other side effects.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2013 10:42 PM

Review by monica1989:

For Birth Control: I've been on it for 2 months now, I switched to Ocella to treat moderate acne, so far I have noticed a slight decrease in breakouts but also noticed I have no self control over what I eat anymore and have gained weight I am an active person and I have noticed a change in weight. Also very moody and I have a short temper and am very moody, I snap at everyone even at work.

May 20, 2013 9:54 AM

Review by LilHannah:

For Birth Control: I'm 20, 5ft and 97lbs. I've been on Ocella for 4ish years now. I originally was on Yaz then Yasmin the. When Ocella came out I switched. For me, the experience was normal. I was moody on my periods (nothing new) and a big decrease in acne! But now I am thinking of switching to a stronger birth control, even though I've been on Ocella for so long and love the product I think my body needs a change in medication. I'm becoming a little more irritated then the first 2 years, my nipples are especially tender after my period which never happened before. It's time for a change. Overall a great product if you would like to see a decrease in acne, no weight gain, no pregnancy scares, no depression or moodiness for the most part. Good for older teens!

February 2, 2013 11:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: 6 years. No health issues or pregnancy scares.

January 30, 2013 12:27 AM

Review by Belizabethd (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: 4yrs no issues

January 4, 2013 3:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Have been taking Ocella for four months now due to polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've been experiencing elevated blood pressure and this is causing some other ill feelings such as nausea and shortness of breath, which immediately triggers anxiety attacks. Surprisingly I feel fine emotionally for the majority of the time. My breast size has increased, my sex drive is up, my periods are lighter and my skin is clearer. The negative symptoms I have been experiencing have not been frequent, they have only occurred recently. However, the severe elevation in my blood pressure is cause for concern and I may switch next month to a new pill.

December 18, 2012 8:04 PM

I'm not going to say this is a bad product because everyone is different. But I was on this for about 6 months. And the last couple months, I had noticed myself having horrible thoughts, and also helplessness. I would cry all the time and freak out over nothing. I was suffering severe depression. People all around me started noticing I was acting different. My face also broke out and my sex drive was very minimal. I am an emotional person to start with. All around the pill did what it was supposed to, but it was just way to much estrogen for me. I am now on the Nuvaring and I love it.

November 15, 2012 3:03 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Ocella for about 4 months now, after being on Microgestin for 4 years. I don't have too many complaints with either, although I will say that my skin is far clearer on Ocella than it ever was on Microgestin. My periods on Ocella are quite light and last only 4-5 days; cramps are usually mild. No headaches, nausea, mood swings, or noticeable change in sex drive, which seem to be a problem for a lot of other women. Also, I actually dropped a couple of pounds after starting Ocella with no lifestyle or diet change. My only concern is that I do have a history of ovarian cysts, which Microgestin effectively quashed; only time will tell whether or not Ocella causes any change. 23 years old, otherwise healthy.

November 12, 2012 11:36 PM

I have been taking Ocella for about 3 years now, I didn't have any issues when I first started. My periods are only 3 days long, and I lost a lot of weight when I went on Ocella. I have developed anxiety but I never had it this bad and mood swings I have gotten too I can get very depressed and emotional about things and that has never been like me at all. I'm thinking about switching to something different to help lower my anxiety and mood swings, its the only birth control I have taken and my doctor was recommending something with a lower hormone count. Otherwise its been a good birth control for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2012 2:04 PM

Review by gf5476 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: All have been changed since a month after starting Ocella. Soft clear skin and brighter complexion. No more yellow and dull face. Waking up with fresh skin as if I just washed my face. More incline to wear sun block and makeup. My hair no longer oily and stop falling out. I did stop for 2 months due to dryness and no sex drive. A BIG MISTAKE. Ask your doctor the correct way to phase it out. I am retaking it again.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2012 12:59 PM

For Birth Control: I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and I have tried A LOT of different birth control. I used this particular formulation for about a year. Unlike the others, I did not bleed through this one. I did however cry at everything! I cried when I saw cute kids playing, when Kelso did cute things for Jackie on That 70's Show, and when I got good grades on tests. Everything made me cry. Also, my breasts were tender all the time, and I never wanted sex, but that has been the case for all 7 years of birth control. I did not notice any substantial weight gain.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2012 12:55 PM

Review by hnm12 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: Pros: Periods were lighter, cramps hardly existed, not pregnant. I got on the pill for these reasons. So, yes it worked for that. In addition, I lost about 27 pounds. However, CONS: I was SUPER depressed and that depression hit hard. I've always been a happy, outgoing person, but Ocella made me upset at random times and now that I'm off it, my period is heavier than before and the cramps are worse. I've also gained weight since going off the pill. I'm 18, 5'7, 189 lbs. I would not recommend it. Of course there was the noticeable decline in sex drive, but that didn't bother me much.

August 13, 2012 4:09 PM

Review by CourtneyMK (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I have used Ocella for years and have not had any major problems. The most I have felt is some breast tenderness close to my period which I have always had and sometimes some mild nausea my first 2 days or so on the pill during the first active week. I am happy with the effectiveness. I had irregular and very heavy periods that would last 11 days. This medicine has given me light and regular periods normally lasting 5 days. I haven't experienced any emotional side effects or severe physical effects.

July 30, 2012 7:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: I began using this birth control in January 2012 to treat cystic acne and to prep me for beginning Accutane. My periods before this pill were bad, I had heavy bleeding with painful cramps. Once I began the birth control they got lighter and now I have absolutely no cramps! My face looks fantastic now, I only have the occasional zit. I can handle that since I used to have 20 at one time. I would say I started to notice side effects around May of 2012. I began having pretty bad headaches, usually everyday when I wake up. I had a little bit of weight gain. The worst was how moody I began to be. I would really only like spending time alone. I also lost my sex drive completely.

July 17, 2012 4:30 PM

For Birth Control: It wasn't a bad birth control other than the mood swing and anxiety. 6 months into it I started to have a really hard time breathing and chest pain and swelling of arms and legs. I checked out side effects and these are some of the more severe ones. I took myself off of it a week ago, and I feel so much better, I'm less anxious and moody and the pain and swelling.

April 24, 2012 1:06 PM

For Birth Control: I have had the exact same reaction to Ocella as the poster named "No Babies, but I'm Crazy". I switched to Ocella from Levora because Levora was giving me really bad mood swings. When I was on it, I would burst into tears all the time for no reason. This side effect decreased dramatically when I switched to Ocella, but I do still get mood swings quite often. The biggest difference is that my moods on Ocella are more angry/agitated than weepy (which they were when I took Levora). However, I feel like the moods are more manageable, which is why I'm still on Ocella after 4 months (I stopped taking Levora after 2). When it comes time to renew my prescription in 2 months, I may consider choosing a new pill.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2012 8:07 PM

For Birth Control: I started out on Yaz and Yasmin. I have been losing my hair ever since. Suddenly I was switched to Ocella with no warning. I experienced the most beautiful skin and 2 day periods, but the hair loss did not stop. I was tested for PCOS but that's a negative. I have not experienced nausea, headaches, and definitely no decrease in sex drive. My PMS has always been terrible and that hasn't changed either way. I asked my doctor about the hair loss and was told that it could not be the birth control. Unfortunately I lost my job and my insurance. I was without birth control for 4 months. During that time my hair started to grow back. I am now back on Ocella and my hair is still growing back. I am 30 yrs old, I have been taking Ocella since it came out. I'm a fan.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2012 1:06 AM

For Acne: When you decide to take this drug you need to consider whether clear skin is worth endangering your life. I'm 17 and I was on ocella for a year. It cleared up my skin completely and my periods were regular. It was perfect. Then I starte having trouble breathing. I kept having doctors appointments and they were thinking I was developing asthma or allergies. After a few months of tests I discovered on my own that I had a DVT or basically a blood clot in my left leg. By the time I discovered this it had progressed all the way from my calf to my belly button. I also had 5 pulmonary embolus in my lungs and was functioning on 1/3 my normal lung capacity. I had no other risk factors for blood clots. This drug is a devil drug.

March 12, 2012 4:50 AM

Review by cosmia:

For Menstrual Disorders: I am 18 and I love Ocella. I feel like it's balanced me out. I used to feel depressed, moody and irritable for the two weeks before my period. Almost suicidal in the couple of days before it. Then my period would come full blast for the first two days and I would be in so much pain that all I could do was scream. I couldn't work or go to school. I took a lot of pain medicines so I was too high to function, and also could still feel occasional plain. Now, on Ocella, I felt the extreme pain for maybe an hour when my period starts, and then I'm able to take a normal amount of pain medicines and I'm fine to go to school. The mood swings before my period are very slight. I also use it as birth control. I do not feel a decrease in my sex drive.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate