User Reviews for Ocella

Birth Control 62 reviews 249 medications

6.7
Summary of Ocella reviews 81 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Ocella

For Birth Control "pros -much lighter period -shorter period (4-5 days) -almost no cramps -no pregnancy scares -clearer skin CONS -really sore boobs all of the time -high blood pressure -lost a lot of hair and my hair about half as thick as it use to be"

alexandra1210 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2015

For Birth Control "No side effects(nausea, headaches,etc) Regulated my period"

archii May 5, 2015

For Birth Control "I started taking this when I was 17 years old (now almost 22) and ordinary antibiotics weren't helping my acne problems. Before, I had unpredictable periods (often skipping once every several months for no reason), painful cramps, and a period lasting up to 7 whole days. Now I have a 99% clear face, a regular light-medium period lasting 4-5 days and NO cramps! I am not sexually active (never have been), so I'm not sure how effective it is for me actual birth control-wise, but my sex drive is much lower. I may end up finding a new brand once I get married later this year because of this side effect alone."

Strebla1234 April 21, 2015

For Birth Control "I used to be on TriPrevifem and i could only last a month on that. the nausea was so bad and i was only like 3 weeks into my first pack. now i'm on my second pack of ocella and i've had virtually NO side effects which is amazing! no weight gain thank god. The only thing is my cramps during my period were down right deadly but i hear that gets better over time. I am sooo happy, i forget i'm even on birth control and that's an awesome thing."

jkdsjlfda (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

For Acne "I have been on Ocella for about 2 months now. I originally was on Zarrah and had the BEST skin - my light acne cleared up within the first 2 weeks & remained absolutely flawless for almost 2 years. I ended up having a 2 week period - nightmare, I know. I went to my Gyno who had then switched me to Ocella. I explained to her that I loved the way Zarrah effected my skin & didn't want to breakout on a new form of Birth Control. I'm almost finished with month 2 and have been breaking out with white heads all over my forehead, along with a few painful zits around my face. I use Clarisonic every morning/night and eat healthy/workout. My moods are great and I lost a few pounds, but I may not continue Ocella for this reason...remaining optimistic!!"

Californiagirl15 January 15, 2015

For Acne "Prescribed Ocella for POCS (polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which can cause severe cystic acne that I had. Have been on it for 10 years. It was a miracle, acne is gone. To prevent the mood swings and acne flare ups during the inert week each month, I had my OBGYN write prescription for 3 months straight. Now only have period & mood swings 4 times/yr instead of 12. Other pills caused anxiety attacks, I have felt most normal on this pill. The downside is I have no libido, but I am 40 so I guess I should expect some decrease at my age anyway."

Pbandj (taken for 10 years or more) December 4, 2014

For Menstrual Disorders "When I first started taking birth control I was only 13, I started it because I used to have two week long heavy & horrific periods every two weeks! I first started out on Yasmin, but later was switched to Ocella for insurance reasons. I'm now almost 19, have been on birth control for 5+ years, and I NEVER want to go back. It helps keep my skin clearer & softer (I only break out about a week before my period now) and my periods are much better now! I used to have issues with my period ending when I started a new pack, but eventually my body got used to it & now my periods are light with little/no cramps and only last around 3 days! I seriously could not be happier"

FinallyHappy (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2014

For Birth Control "I've been on Ocella for about two months now (and I was on it for about two years a while ago), but this time around I'm suffering from terrible nausea. No mood changes, lost some weight, no pimples, etc...but the nausea is ridiculous. I've been taking it now around 11 at night, so that I can try to sleep through it, but sometimes it will wake me up at 3 or 4, and I'll be so sick. Hoping that I adjust to this soon, because otherwise I really enjoy using it!"

Blah08888 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2014

For Birth Control "This may be premature I've only been on it for a week, but I have been super moody. Irritable, cried 3x in past week and have developed a lot of pimples on my forehead and nose. I usually never break out only when on my period and not as much as this. I also am highly anxious...I'm an anxious person to begin with but with the pill for this week I've been near panic attack a lot and that hasn't happened in a decade. I'm Hoping my body gets used to the pill and these awful side effects will go away. Will update after the month"

Kristallau (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2014

For Birth Control "I've been taking Ocella for 6 months. First birth control I've ever been on and I haven't had any major problems. I used to have terrible cramps during my period with a very heavy flow and now it's wicked light and virtually no cramps! Didn't have any moody side effects and no weight gain."

kt840 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2014

For Birth Control "I'm 17 years old. This is the end of my first month taking Ocella (to regulate my periods). I've been having occasional random cramps throughout this month, which was manageable, but now that I'm in the middle of the sugar pill week, my pain is terrible. These are the worst cramps of my life. But the positive is my breasts got a little bigger, I lost a little weight, and less acne. I also have less cravings. But the pain is more than I can stand. I'm considering going to the hospital. I can't stand without getting pale and lightheaded, and I've already vomited twice. (This is day 1 of my period.)"

Xyrnyth July 28, 2014

For Birth Control "I went on this medication when I was 19 and I am 24 now. When I was 19 I was diagnosed with stage 3 endometriosis. I now take continuous birth control pills (never going off the active ones). My insurance covers me to get 2 packets a month. Being on only active pills, I usually have spotting once or twice a year due to missing a pill or taking it more than 12 hours late. Side effects: Big breasts and weight gain. I used to be a size B, now I'm a D/DD awesome! I have put on 20 pounds over the years but that could be caused by my diet/age."

Megsters (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2014

For Menstrual Disorders "I have been on this for over a year. I was on Sydea previously for a year. This birth control works great. There are no cramps, it's a lighter flow, I'm more emotionally stable, it's shorter, and I only had one scare because I forgot to take it for two days in a row and my period came late. The only downside I've noticed is that I have almost NO sex drive now. But my insurance covers it all until I'm no longer considered a dependent/full time student."

GloriaAnne May 29, 2014

For Birth Control "I've been using Ocella for a few months. I don't use condoms and I've had zero scares so far. I have hormonal acne and it's getting better slowly. My periods are amazing now. I have no cramps whatsoever. My moods are great. Not on birth control I am a crazy monster. My cramps are unbearable for days. I have not had much weight gain and my cravings are less than normal. So far I like this."

Sdolbee13 May 1, 2014

For Birth Control "I have been on Ocella for a year now. I used to take Yaz which is in the family and loved it. I have definitely gained weight and having a hard time losing it. My moods are fine, I don't feel sick at all. I actually feel very normal. The downs I found beside the weight is I have zero sex drive! And I do get chest pains."

Kate77777 February 25, 2014

For Birth Control "Originally on Syeda, was switched to Ocella last month and this month and have had a continuous yeast infection."

Sammy3663 November 2, 2013

For Birth Control "No significant weight gain, No cramping during period, Period lasts for a shorter amount of time, No heavy bleeding (no spotting, either). Overall, I'm very happy with Ocella. I'm 24 and have been taking it for 5 years. At this point, I'm not even sure how my body would react to not being on birth control since it has been so long."

bb88 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2013

For Birth Control "I tried Ortho Tri-Cyclen 2 years ago. I switched to Ocella 3 weeks later because Ortho Tri-Cyclen made me nauseous and made my gums itchy. I have experienced weight gain (8 lbs) caused by eating all my cravings. I've taken it from 2011 to now and haven't had any bad experiences."

Frenchie88 August 25, 2013

For Menstrual Disorders "I used to take Sprintec to regulate my period and help with cramps which worked for a while but after 2 years my periods were back to being miserable. The first week or two on Ocella were tough, I was very nauseous, had stomach cramps and headaches but it all went away after the second week. The first day of my period the first 2 months was incredible! I didn't even feel like I had a period, but by day 2 my awful cramps were back. I spoke to my Gyno and we've decided I can take Ocella continuously. Next week is the first placebo week that I'm skipping and I will only have 3-4 periods a year. Besides the first couple of weeks I haven't had any other side effects."

Mary Ann f (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2013

For Birth Control "I've been on it for 2 months now, I switched to Ocella to treat moderate acne, so far I have noticed a slight decrease in breakouts but also noticed I have no self control over what I eat anymore and have gained weight I am an active person and I have noticed a change in weight. Also very moody and I have a short temper and am very moody, I snap at everyone even at work."

monica1989 May 20, 2013

For Birth Control "I'm 20, 5ft and 97lbs. I've been on Ocella for 4ish years now. I originally was on Yaz then Yasmin the. When Ocella came out I switched. For me, the experience was normal. I was moody on my periods (nothing new) and a big decrease in acne! But now I am thinking of switching to a stronger birth control, even though I've been on Ocella for so long and love the product I think my body needs a change in medication. I'm becoming a little more irritated then the first 2 years, my nipples are especially tender after my period which never happened before. It's time for a change. Overall a great product if you would like to see a decrease in acne, no weight gain, no pregnancy scares, no depression or moodiness for the most part. Good for older teens!"

LilHannah February 2, 2013

For Birth Control "6 years. No health issues or pregnancy scares."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 30, 2013

For Birth Control "4yrs no issues"

Belizabethd (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2013

For Birth Control "Have been taking Ocella for four months now due to polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've been experiencing elevated blood pressure and this is causing some other ill feelings such as nausea and shortness of breath, which immediately triggers anxiety attacks. Surprisingly I feel fine emotionally for the majority of the time. My breast size has increased, my sex drive is up, my periods are lighter and my skin is clearer. The negative symptoms I have been experiencing have not been frequent, they have only occurred recently. However, the severe elevation in my blood pressure is cause for concern and I may switch next month to a new pill."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2012

"I'm not going to say this is a bad product because everyone is different. But I was on this for about 6 months. And the last couple months, I had noticed myself having horrible thoughts, and also helplessness. I would cry all the time and freak out over nothing. I was suffering severe depression. People all around me started noticing I was acting different. My face also broke out and my sex drive was very minimal. I am an emotional person to start with. All around the pill did what it was supposed to, but it was just way to much estrogen for me. I am now on the Nuvaring and I love it."

Anonymous November 15, 2012