User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated

Review by mommy#9 (taken for less than 1 month):

The doctor put my nine year old on Unichem 0.1 mgs at night to sleep. He also has autism spectrum. I was worried about him taking this medicine at first but he is finally going to sleep and getting a good sleep without waking up. I wanted to know if anyone experienced any reactions I need to look for. Concerned mommy.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by CodyLeesMom (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My son, (8 yrs old) takes this to be able to go to sleep at night. He is so hyper that without this medication, his brain won't slow down for him to rest. He is also ADHD, so he's constantly going. From the time he wakes up until he drops!! But it allows him to actually get some real rest. He will tell you if you ask him, that he feels better when he takes it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2014 3:13 AM

Review by Chic chick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres (clonidine): The first few days, 0.3mg did put me to sleep but I had to wake up and take another dose four hours later. The orthostatic hypotension was so bad, the next morning I felt like I was dragging and fatigued much easier. Working out was impossible!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2013 11:58 AM

Review by doreen123:

I have an anxiety disorder called TTM. Sometimes classified as an impulse disorder or OCD. When I'm engaged in TTM behavior at night it sometimes drives me all night. The clonidine is great at slowing me down in about 45 minutes and letting me drift off to sleep.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2013 8:52 PM

Review by Bubba's momma (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My 5 year has been on clonodine since he was 2 1/2 to help him go to sleep. He's been diagnosed with Autism and I don't know what I would have done if his doctor wouldn't have put him on clonidine. When he first started on it he was on the 0.1mg but as he grew it wasn't working as well so now he's on the 0.2mg and it works wonderful and he sleeps through the night again. This is the only medication I have let the doctors put him on simply because I'm scared of the side effects of the medicines that the doctor uses to treat Autism.

January 29, 2013 11:33 PM

Review by JenLynn1013 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking this medication for a few years now. It has helped somewhat with my insomnia. It's probably time to increase the dosage.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2012 7:25 AM

I was put on this medication after I was injured in an IED blast in Afghanistan. I have been using it for almost a year now and I could not be happier with its results. It helps me fall asleep, but does not make me feel groggy even I need to wake up in the middle of the night. It also helps me to avoid nightmares and other anxiety related symptoms. If you want a sleep aid that does not have the side effects of others like Lunesta or Ambien I would strongly recommend talking to your doctor about clonidine.

February 15, 2012 4:41 PM

This medicine has been wonderful. My 7 year old daughter had insomnia from the medicine for ADHD. It was awful, she couldn't get to sleep and was having difficulty in school. I wasn't thrilled about giving her more medicine but Clonidine has helped her so much.

April 19, 2009 5:26 PM

This drug was given to my son as part of a treatment for ADHD and ODD. He was given this to help him sleep at night to counteract effects his ADHD medicines had; which is kept him awake. This drug for him was good at helping him fall asleep, but didn't keep him asleep but then again everyone is different.

January 8, 2009 12:35 PM

My 5 year old son is taking clonidine for insomnia and I can see a difference in him. My son is very hyperactive and has some anger issues and I have noticed he is a lot calmer and seems to focus better on the tasks he is doing. This might be the answer to my prayers.

August 25, 2008 12:09 PM

Review by ngales38:

My child started taking Clonidine one month ago. She now falls asleep much faster and stays asleep through out the night. She is more focused at school than she ever was before.

June 5, 2008 11:25 PM