User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications

Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Ulcerative Colitis 0 reviews 74 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clonidine reviews 203 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Clonidine

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was on opiates for 8 years. Started when I was 19. I am now 26. This is the first time I have been sober longer than 24 hrs and not just because my dealers were not available. Clonidine patch for 7 days worked wonders with 8 mg Suboxen. I continue to take the clonidine pill form daily. Withdrawal symptoms were all of none with these medications. I recommend if you are addicted to opiates you speak with your physician right away. This is the first time in 8 years I can honestly say I am thinking clearly. Good luck!"

CS89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

For ADHD: "Well my Doctor boosted my ADHD medicine Adderall XR to 30 mg and I have a hard time falling a sleep even after a 14 hour work day. So he prescribed clonidine to counter my Adderall XR. Adderall helps me function at work really well. But my sleep disorder has worsen. I was taking Xanax and Ambient to sleep, but since I started adderall XR I had to stop taking the other two medications. What helps you sleep?"

Skippy1967 June 29, 2015

Kapvay (clonidine) for ADHD: "My son is 6 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Aspergers syndrome, and possible bipolar disorder. We have tried so many medications, Ritalin, Adderall, Focalin XR, Risperadal, Seroquel, and regular Clonidine. He is now taking 300 mg of Trazadone which doesn't help, 15 mg of Abilify, and Kapvay. I've spaced the three medications out but he still wakes up at 9 am and goes to bed at 3 am. I am at a loss right now because the psychiatrist says he's limited as to what he can put him on but the Trazadone I swear seems to wire him up. He's wide awake as I am writing this post. The Kapvay does make him cranky and irritable during the afternoon, any advice please."

Amichellec33 June 29, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have been abusing opiates for the past two or so years, taking about 130mg of hydrocodone a day. Today I went to a medical doctor and told him what's going on. I was too scared to tell my doctor because I didn't want the information in my chart. I broke down and told him the reason I was there because withdrawals suck. For me, the restless legs at night, not able to sleep, fatigued during the day. Anyway, he prescribed Clonidine and Vistaril and signed me up for a Psych appt for Suboxone next week. I'm deathly afraid to come off. Tomorrow will be my first day trying this to see if I can before work Monday."

lostgirl77 June 26, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "After several years, my BP had continued a slow increase until I got to the point of 200/100 and ended up in the ER. . Had several tests run to rule out any other issues . So they started me on a nightmare ride of this drug and that drug ALL of which made me very ill and all with major side effects.My dr finally tried clonidine 7-day patch and omg what a change. Sure the first week I did spike once but not badly (only 150/84) but after that I have been holding steady at 110/65 and NO side effects at all. I am thrilled."

foxhunter1958 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "It works well with sleep since I have had insomnia for over 10 years. I tried ambient but I like clonidine better although some nights I wake up 4-5 hours later to have to take another dose."

momof2beautifulkids0307 June 16, 2015

Catapres (clonidine) for Opiate Withdrawal: "I been on norco everyday for 10 years, was on 10-12 pills per day for chronic pain. Without clonidine I would be hurting like hell. I went to detox at the hospital & left after 14 hours, they wanted me on Suboxone, which is good but its just another high to kick after, been there done that, I don't need a migraine headache as well. Suboxone causes headaches & Suboxone is hell to get off. Best bet is to stick with clonidine pills. 1st day 01mg x5 2nd day x4 3rd x3 4th x2 5th x1, your 6th day can be 1, or none, you decide. The only withdrawal symptoms I have from norco is minor diarrhea, minor pain in stomach, no eating for days, hard to get to sleep but its possible...and day 1 i had depression, but I'm over it now....LIFE SAVER"

HG420 June 6, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Hello! I am actually starting to feel like my old self again. :) I started taking hydrocodone 10/325 4x a day 4yrs ago 1st due to c-section then found it helped my back pain from bulging discs and found a pain Dr. Well same for me , the 4 was not enough. When I ended my horrible relationship with hydrocodone I was up to 10 pills a day. I started stealing from my boyfriend's pill bottle and then started buying off of the street! I'm a mom of 3 gorgeous children. I couldn't believe I got to this point!! It's all I ended up knowing. I couldn't function without it! It ALMOST ruined my life. Finally I decided enough was enough and went to the ER after withdrawing for 8 hrs. This was about 6 days ago . Patch saved me!!!!!!"

angeeemac May 29, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Hi. I was addicted to heroin for two years using about a gram a day. It ruined my life. It all started with the prescription pain narcotics. Then went to heroin because of price. People it's true. They will tell you pills lead to harder drugs. My whole family told me that and I always said I'd never do that. Well I did. I started by snorting heroin, then to injections. I lost all my stuff to pawn shops. Even robbed and stole. People if you are reading this as a current user please don't think you are stronger than others because the drug already controls you. Clonidine helped me great along with suboxone strips 8.m. People get suboxone for h withdrawal it will save you. I was prescribed clonidine and suboxone and didn't feel a thing."

Typage121890 May 21, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "As a mom of 5 I put my life into my kids. Never have experienced addiction, no smoking, no drinking...I started taking hydrcodone 10mg for a herniated disc. After a while my tolerance grew so I started taking more than prescribed, buying more from friends of friends. What a LOW for a mom, right? Clonidine, 0.5mg, has saved me. It was so hard to go and admit to my doctor (who delivered my kids) that I was doing this. It was so worth the embarrassment. Withdrawal symptoms are I would say 80% gone with clonidine. I feel like if I can do it, anyone can. You're not alone!!!! Stay strong!!!"

thewomaninthemirror (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Makes me dizzy, unsteady on feet and sleepy. Little to no effect on lowering my blood pressure. Before I started taking meds my diastolic was 80 to 90 now it's 100 and above."

GmFay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "On day 2 with the patch coming off heroin. I went to the ER told them why I was there. They got me this patch. They say it lasts seven days. I have no energy but withdrawal symptoms are definitely not as bad..."

patricia colorado May 2, 2015

Catapres (clonidine) for Opiate Withdrawal: "Clonidine is wonderful for me. I've been using heroin, 1.5 g's a day for several years. The clonidine combined with my lorazepam made the withdrawal sickness almost non existent. Best part is: you can actually get some sleep. Stay strong."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "This medication saved my life physically & spiritually. After 10 years being prescribed a synthetic opioid that was presented to me as safe & non-addicting, I lost everything, my job, my health, my family & my will to live. If you are coming off an opioid addiction, please don't do it cold turkey. Ask your health care provider if this medication is right for you. Also, it is relatively cheap even without insurance ( I only have to take one a day. I'm now happier & healthier than I've ever been & I'm 52, walk 4 miles a day. The best thing is, I have no desire to take another narcotic ever again. I hope this helps you!"

dead man walking (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "On day 4 of cold turkey oxycodone. This drug saved me in every way. Can't recommend it enough. Makes it tolerable....I hate opiate withdrawals and Clonidine was also a godsend for me. Almost through the worst and I feel like life is re-entering my body again. Good luck to anyone, it can be done!!"

A Brother (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Clonidine saved me too , been on opiates for 3 years back problems. Clonidine was great!"

clonolife April 10, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "On Oxycontin for 10 years and seen it ruin so many life's 2 back surgery 3 rotator cuff surgery 1 knee replacement pain is bad but addiction is worse. Clonidine is a miracle I needed."

nurse lives (taken for 10 years or more) April 4, 2015

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I began having hot flashes about two months ago, they were awful. I can't take hormone replacement or use natural remedies because I have a blood clotting disorder and am on Coumadin for life. My doctor prescribed this to me on March 3, 2015 and I haven't had a hot flash since. So far for me, this has been a miracle drug. No noticeable side effects other than I go to sleep a little faster. I take one pill at night and began having instant relief. I was having horrible hot flashes all day and night sweats. All. Gone. I'm so thankful!"

Super Cool (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

For ADHD: "I'm 26 and took vyvanse for 6 years for ADHD. I never was able to live up to my potential in academics until I started taking vyvanse and am now an RN. I don't like the way stimulants make me feel and finally decided to quit taking vyvanse after my doctor started me on clonidine 0.1mg at night for sleep. After taking them both for two months, (vyvanse 60mg in AM and clonidine at night) I decided to stop the vyvanse and have seen amazing results with only the clonidine. I have the same energy and personality as my old self with ADHD off of vyvanse, but compared to not taking stimulants without clonidine as compared to not taking stimulants with clonidine, I feel like I can finally live without a prescription narcotic and be successful. I never thought I could live a normal, productive life without vyvanse. It feels great, and I'm so thankful that when I asked my doctor for ambien to help me sleep, she first asked me to try clonidine."

iris RN March 21, 2015

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "Undergoing chemo for breast cancer and started having debilitating hot flashes. PCP prescribed Clonidine and I felt relief in within 24 hours."

KellyHan (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Clonidine works well when you are suffering from opiate withdrawal. It has helped several people that I know as well as myself. A life saver for this purpose. It doesn't take away all symptoms but it does relax the muscles and helps greatly with the hot/cold sweats. I definitely recommend this medication for this purpose."

DWhitz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was an addict, I've been on methadone for 12 years and am slowly coming down, my Dr. Gives me clonidine for my sweating the trouble is if I take them all before my next refill I have to suffer through some serious withdrawals, clonidine is good for sweating but is damm hard on you if you stop cold turkey, it's not the "God send" like people say (at least not for me) but it does help, I am not going to refill my script though because I don't want to go through this again. (I've already got the methadone to worry about I don't need to detox from this crap too, I'll deal with the sweats without clonidine.... So be careful with this stuff. (I take 3-4 .2's a day- the Orange ones)"

Petee1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was placed on 90mg Methodone by a pain clinic doctor daily along with 10mg of a muscle relaxant 4 times a day. Last April I had had enough of all the additional side effects so I begin weaning myself off by 10mg about every 5-6 weeks. Going from 30mg to 20mg was terrible. New pain doctor ordered clonidine. Last Friday I stopped all Methadone and withdrawal symptoms are very intense this time even with clonidine. Any suggestions of how long these horrific side effects will last? Unable to rest every muscle hurts and intense jerking of lower limbs."

pinkroses (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have used clonidine for panic attacks (episodic, severe facial sweating due to stressful situations). This medication has been extremely helpful, resolved the sweating immediately. I have tried lorazepam, which was also extremely effective, but my clinician informed me clonidine has lower risks. Beta blockers did not work at all."

Figz (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was addicted to 30mg Roxicodone taking about 8 a day. Also would take whatever I could get my hands on with it (Xanax, Ambien, whatever to mess me up)I tapered down significantly on methadone and am on day 4 of detoxing from the methadone. Clonidine was very helpful for me because I had severe anxiety and withdrawals from the methadone (Not as bad as withdrawals straight from opiates, but last much longer) I had a lot of trouble With panic attacks extreme anxiety and absolutely nothing to give me any sort of comfort which mainly came from servere back pain that would affect my entire body. Clonidine helped me so much with being able to calm myself down and taking away some of the symptoms. Am still not completely better, but so happy for freedom!"

Saving my life! February 2, 2015