User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications

Ulcerative Colitis 0 reviews 74 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clonidine reviews 172 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Clonidine

Review by Beccalew:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I went on treatment for opiate addiction in December of last year. While there, I was encouraged by many other opiate addicts to begin a long term Suboxone treatment plan, as I had been an active user for almost ten years. After two weeks of being on Suboxone, I knew it wasn't right for me. So the nursing staff and I came up with a plan of action! Clonidine has been an absolute God send for me. Not only does it help tremendously for withdrawal symptoms, but it has also been incredible in combating my cravings and anxiety since getting out of treatment. Since it is a blood pressure medication, it can have some downfalls. Dizziness and drowsiness. I take 1 mg, twice daily. If I eat, drink water and stay active I'm fine!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2015 7:05 PM

Review by itzmeenotyou (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Have been a regular heroin (quarter g/day) and Fentanyl (usage unknown due to illicit fake 80mg oxycodone pills hard to say how much was in them but usually 2 pills/day) user for past year and before that a fairly heavy user of oxycodone (approx. 160mg/day). Have been a functioning addict the whole time but recently have started to really feel trapped in this addiction. Anyways did some research on the best way to detox at home (going to an inpatient facility isn't an option) and found that clonidine was very highly recommended so went to my Private Physician told him my situation being honest with my current addiction intake and he prescribed me 100 x 0.1mg clonidine and 50 x 1mg Ativan (lorazepam). This combination worked wonders, took away 96% bad symptoms.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 5:53 PM

Review by CMP1981:

For ADHD: I have not experienced any negative side effects from this medication. It has helped me a great deal with my ADHD at night with anxiety, helping me to calm down in the evening to get sleep.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 8:16 PM

Review by Dough Boy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Was really addicted to Norco and MS Contin for a lower back issue. L3, 4, 5, and S1 Spinal Stenosis and 5 injections later, my back no longer hurt bad enough to be on fairly heavy narcotic pain medication. I tried to cold turkey the 60mg Norco and MS Contin diet and made it a whopping 2 1/2 days before I had to go to doctor. He then put me on 16mgs of Suboxone, which he touted as being "MUCH EASIER" to withdraw off. Uhhh, YEAH RIGHT! Well, 2 yrs later I'm finally finished with Suboxone. I wish I could meet whoever the chemist was that created Clonidine. WHAT A LIFESAVER! I will say that Clonidine took away about 85% percent of my withdrawal symptoms and made it fairly easy to come off Suboxone. THANK THE LORD FOR CLONIDINE!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres (clonidine) for Bipolar Disorder: Works great for easing withdrawl symptoms of just about anything. But did not work for my anxiety as it gave me fairly awful side effects, (excessive sweating and horrible nightmares) and I don't often experience any side effects on any medicine. I've since had my doc look elsewhere.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by FreedbyTruth:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I was on opiates for a few years. I finally decided the only way to be free was to confess to my family and seek help. I had tried many times to quit but the withdrawals were too much for me. I told my doctor what was going on and she gave me clonidine. It took away all the symptoms, it took me a few nights to sleep because of restless legs syndrome, but it was a miracle for me. Also very inexpensive!

November 21, 2014 6:14 PM

Review by LexMo111:

For Tourette's Syndrome: This helped me cope and treat my Tourette's throughout my childhood. I do rate it a 9 due to it causing drowsiness, and now I am 17 and can't sleep without it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 12:39 AM

Review by MintyNuts (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Been on 0.1mg three times a day for 10 days now and it has made a HUGE difference in my detox from heroin, oxycodone, and hydromorphone. Almost completely eliminated the agitation and restlessness which has always been my personal least favourite symptom of opiate withdrawal. I highly recommend anyone suffering from an addiction akin to mine to talk to a doctor about getting on it, I finally let my family doctor know about my 3 years of on and off use of various opiates and it was his first suggestion. I am also on propranolol and amitryptiline which I started at the same time as the clonidine. The only downsides I have experienced are a certain degree of daytime drowsiness and blood pressure drops upon standing up after lying down.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by cheerbaby118:

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: I was prescribed clonodine due to delayed sleep phase disorder. At first it did absolutely nothing for me so they upped my dosage and now it works like a charm. Shuts your brain off and puts you right to bed. The only thing I dont like about it is that the next day I still feel like its fully in my system.

November 3, 2014 9:58 PM

Review by kbk127:

Catapres (clonidine) for Anxiety: I have severe anxiety and had horrible side effects from benzodiazepines. This medication has been very helpful. I am taking 0.2 mg. twice daily. Started with 0.1 mg. I recommend slowly increasing your dosage because it tends to make you drowsy until you get used to it.

October 11, 2014 10:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I have been taking clonidine for at least 7 years and still have sedative side effects at the dose of 0.2 mg twice a day.

October 11, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by Hamas frog worth it all:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I like clondine I've been on herion for 7 years and clondine is a miracle but I take nausea meds with it an a vitamin and a benzodiazepine and I believe it really works for me. The only down fall is dry mouth and light headed but if that's the only two complaints I have verses the vomiting and all the other bad side effects from herion I would say it's 100% wonderful for me and I enjoy keeping my money and not paying dealers bills and supporting there families while my suffers. I don't have any babies but there are things I have put off in my life that now I can take care of.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Montresor (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Reading some of the other reviews, some people rate this as a 7 or 8 because it doesn't take away all their withdrawals or restless legs syndrome, etc. Well, we all must have the realization that we must pay the Piper someday. Mine was 2 days ago. After at least months and possibly years, I was taking norco/hydrocodone and kept it somewhat in check at about 60mg a day. One major reason I kept taking Norco was because of my newly found Restless Leg Syndrome that I knew was from pain medicines. I must tell you, it feels like my fears are gone. You can't have your cake and eat it too, but this is damn close for getting rid of a lot of withdrawal symptoms. Not sure if I recommend taking during the day though as I quite sleepy.

October 2, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by Jules0411 (taken for less than 1 month):

Catapres (clonidine) for Opiate Withdrawal: I'm tapering down from 100-200mg of hydrocodone per day to 20mg per day. Also, quit 20mg of Dilaudid per day. The first couple of days were hell. I finally called my doctor and told him what was going on. He prescribed me the Clonidine patch. It has helped me tremendously! The only side effect I have had is a little dizziness when I get up too fast. But I feel great and am on day 4 and down to 20mg of hydros and still feel good! Like I never started them. By the way, I have been on them for 4 years through pain management for severe diabetic neuropathy. I highly recommend this product.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 1:27 PM

Review by ampartlow:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed 0.1 mg tablets of this for anxiety and sleeplessness. It was good for anxiety attacks because it put me straight to sleep in about 10 minutes, but it didn't help me sleep through the night. It also didn't help with everyday anxiety.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 10:13 AM

Review by Randooo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Withdrawal: My story, is a five year long battle with two failed back fusions, starting back in 2009. With my first surgery, as anyone knows that has had a L5 s1 fusion with a bone graft taken from your hip, it is painful! So as you can imagine, you are taking pain meds! So here I am 5 years later 2014, and 2 fusion that didn't take, and hoping my third has! 4 months ago, my daily meds intake was 15 10mg oxycodone, 4 30mg Oxycontin, 4 x 5mg oxymorphone! My tolerance was very high! Finally decide, enough was enough, so I went to a detox facility in Seattle, and was put on Suboxone. What a difference, I felt so much better! Four months later, I tapered of the Suboxone, started on Clonidine. Made me tired, dead legs, but kept withdrawals away! I'M A NEW MAN!

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2014 9:29 AM

Review by Working man (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I guess I'm the party-pooper here, but I find clonidine didn't do anything for withdrawal. It just made me feel cold (ice cold), weak, totally drained of energy. Like a sick, anemic feeling. Yeah, it'd make me tired but not in a good way like Libirum or Ativan. I haven't drank any alcohol in 12 years now, and as I recall it was Ativan that brought me down easy that last time.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 9:06 PM

Review by Bettye age 66 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: After three trips to ER with hypertensive crisis and unbelievable side effects from other medicines, my Dr found Clonidine 0.1mg controlled night time spiking. I take Losartan 100 mg in the morning and Clonidine at night. In between I am good. However headaches, where the skull itches and throbs are interrupting my life and I never get headaches! Not even with the hypertensive crisis.

August 18, 2014 2:14 PM

Review by OpiateFreeFinally (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Withdrawal: This medication is a God send! I was addicted to pain pills, any kind I could get my hands on. This eventually progressed to a heroin habit that lasted for 15 months. I tried many times to stop on my own, but the withdrawal symptoms are pure hell! I was given a 7 day supply after visiting an ER one night...OMG, it helped and almost stopped every symptom completely! When my 7 days ran out my family doctor gave me more. My biggest issue was the restless legs, and just restless everything that kept me from sleeping. Clonidine takes it totally away for me & I get very peaceful rest. I can finally see myself getting back to the person I used to be, thanks to this medicine! I highly recommended you at least give it a try.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 2:07 AM

Review by Gary1121:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I have been on opiates for 8 years due to back problems, my wife is also on a different dose and on oxycodine I was on hydrocodine, never the less, I started getting off of these pills on Saturday, August 2,2014, today is Wednesday the 6th of Aug, I haven't had any pain pills since Saturday morning, then today I didn't take the clonidine for 18 hours instead of the 12 hours recommended by the doctor, I must say this little pill worked wanders, over the last 8 years I have run out of course every one done does, I don't care who you are what life you live, after the first 2 years my wife and I would split our pills, now I have had enough taking off work because I didn't have one of those pills. The clonidine pill is a miracle

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Review by *Oggers:

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: Excellent. My hot flashes have nearly stopped straight away, no side effects except sleeping a lot better and not waking up every hour sweating. I would highly recommend this medicine, should have taken it months ago.

July 18, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by Relief with Clonidine (taken for 10 years or more):

For Restless Legs Syndrome: Originally, I was diagnosed with Restless Legs Syndrome approximately 14 years ago. The symptom typical - when sitting (legs dependent) unable to find a comfortable position to relieve what I refer to as "a sensation of agitation in my bilateral lower extremities" and unable to find a comfortable position. Massaging helped to relieve the sensation, but short lived when stopped. The sensation was less obvious when laying down, positional change helped, elevation of lower extremities did little, and when walking the sensation not present. My "sensation" was discussed with my physician who wrote a script for Clonidine 0.1 mg. The only side effect I have - it still makes me sleepy after 14 years, solved by taking at bedtime, effects last for 24 hrs.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 6:56 PM

Review by MickiRivera (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Withdrawal: I took this in rehab, after I got there I started withdrawing. They gave me Clonidine. It worked there. Turns out the lovely nurse gave my local pharmacy a prescription to some more. I just found out yesterday and I got it. I have been using in the past month. It would be 1 every 3 days I would use. But when I didn't use these pains would start in my lower back Bad. Now I just gotta see if it works this time. This saved my life.

June 25, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Peaceful sleeper (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: Why does the medical community not widely suggest this medicine to women who are suffering from disabling hot flashes & not sleeping? I went to my gyn and I was told that my options were hormones, antidepressants or gabapentin. None of these were acceptable for me for various reasons. I went to my general dr who saw how serious my symptoms were and he prescribed this. I take 0.05 in the he morning and 0.05 before bed. The first night I took it I slept like a baby (something I have not done for nearly a year) and I didn't have one single flash all night! I got past the dry mouth and drowsiness and now I have no side effects and I'm my old self again. This saved my sanity and gave me my life back!

May 20, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by Floyd Anderson (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Gave me dry mouth. Made me lightheaded and groggy. Made urination frequent and painful. Made me feel like I would pass out when rising from sitting or lying down. Left me dehydrated.

April 15, 2014 5:14 PM