User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications

Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Ulcerative Colitis 0 reviews 74 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clonidine reviews 195 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Clonidine

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Hi. I was addicted to heroin for two years using about a gram a day. It ruined my life. It all started with the prescription pain narcotics. Then went to heroin because of price. People it's true. They will tell you pills lead to harder drugs. My whole family told me that and I always said I'd never do that. Well I did. I started by snorting heroin, then to injections. I lost all my stuff to pawn shops. Even robbed and stole. People if you are reading this as a current user please don't think you are stronger than others because the drug already controls you. Clonidine helped me great along with suboxone strips 8.m. People get suboxone for h withdrawal it will save you. I was prescribed clonidine and suboxone and didn't feel a thing."

Typage121890 May 21, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "As a mom of 5 I put my life into my kids. Never have experienced addiction, no smoking, no drinking...I started taking hydrcodone 10mg for a herniated disc. After a while my tolerance grew so I started taking more than prescribed, buying more from friends of friends. What a LOW for a mom, right? Clonidine, 0.5mg, has saved me. It was so hard to go and admit to my doctor (who delivered my kids) that I was doing this. It was so worth the embarrassment. Withdrawal symptoms are I would say 80% gone with clonidine. I feel like if I can do it, anyone can. You're not alone!!!! Stay strong!!!"

thewomaninthemirror (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Makes me dizzy, unsteady on feet and sleepy. Little to no effect on lowering my blood pressure. Before I started taking meds my diastolic was 80 to 90 now it's 100 and above."

GmFay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "On day 2 with the patch coming off heroin. I went to the ER told them why I was there. They got me this patch. They say it lasts seven days. I have no energy but withdrawal symptoms are definitely not as bad..."

patricia colorado May 2, 2015

Catapres (clonidine) for Opiate Withdrawal: "Clonidine is wonderful for me. I've been using heroin, 1.5 g's a day for several years. The clonidine combined with my lorazepam made the withdrawal sickness almost non existent. Best part is: you can actually get some sleep. Stay strong."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "This medication saved my life physically & spiritually. After 10 years being prescribed a synthetic opioid that was presented to me as safe & non-addicting, I lost everything, my job, my health, my family & my will to live. If you are coming off an opioid addiction, please don't do it cold turkey. Ask your health care provider if this medication is right for you. Also, it is relatively cheap even without insurance ( I only have to take one a day. I'm now happier & healthier than I've ever been & I'm 52, walk 4 miles a day. The best thing is, I have no desire to take another narcotic ever again. I hope this helps you!"

dead man walking (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "On day 4 of cold turkey oxycodone. This drug saved me in every way. Can't recommend it enough. Makes it tolerable....I hate opiate withdrawals and Clonidine was also a godsend for me. Almost through the worst and I feel like life is re-entering my body again. Good luck to anyone, it can be done!!"

A Brother (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Clonidine saved me too , been on opiates for 3 years back problems. Clonidine was great!"

clonolife April 10, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "On Oxycontin for 10 years and seen it ruin so many life's 2 back surgery 3 rotator cuff surgery 1 knee replacement pain is bad but addiction is worse. Clonidine is a miracle I needed."

nurse lives (taken for 10 years or more) April 4, 2015

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I began having hot flashes about two months ago, they were awful. I can't take hormone replacement or use natural remedies because I have a blood clotting disorder and am on Coumadin for life. My doctor prescribed this to me on March 3, 2015 and I haven't had a hot flash since. So far for me, this has been a miracle drug. No noticeable side effects other than I go to sleep a little faster. I take one pill at night and began having instant relief. I was having horrible hot flashes all day and night sweats. All. Gone. I'm so thankful!"

Super Cool (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

For ADHD: "I'm 26 and took vyvanse for 6 years for ADHD. I never was able to live up to my potential in academics until I started taking vyvanse and am now an RN. I don't like the way stimulants make me feel and finally decided to quit taking vyvanse after my doctor started me on clonidine 0.1mg at night for sleep. After taking them both for two months, (vyvanse 60mg in AM and clonidine at night) I decided to stop the vyvanse and have seen amazing results with only the clonidine. I have the same energy and personality as my old self with ADHD off of vyvanse, but compared to not taking stimulants without clonidine as compared to not taking stimulants with clonidine, I feel like I can finally live without a prescription narcotic and be successful. I never thought I could live a normal, productive life without vyvanse. It feels great, and I'm so thankful that when I asked my doctor for ambien to help me sleep, she first asked me to try clonidine."

iris RN March 21, 2015

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "Undergoing chemo for breast cancer and started having debilitating hot flashes. PCP prescribed Clonidine and I felt relief in within 24 hours."

KellyHan (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Clonidine works well when you are suffering from opiate withdrawal. It has helped several people that I know as well as myself. A life saver for this purpose. It doesn't take away all symptoms but it does relax the muscles and helps greatly with the hot/cold sweats. I definitely recommend this medication for this purpose."

DWhitz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was an addict, I've been on methadone for 12 years and am slowly coming down, my Dr. Gives me clonidine for my sweating the trouble is if I take them all before my next refill I have to suffer through some serious withdrawals, clonidine is good for sweating but is damm hard on you if you stop cold turkey, it's not the "God send" like people say (at least not for me) but it does help, I am not going to refill my script though because I don't want to go through this again. (I've already got the methadone to worry about I don't need to detox from this crap too, I'll deal with the sweats without clonidine.... So be careful with this stuff. (I take 3-4 .2's a day- the Orange ones)"

Petee1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was placed on 90mg Methodone by a pain clinic doctor daily along with 10mg of a muscle relaxant 4 times a day. Last April I had had enough of all the additional side effects so I begin weaning myself off by 10mg about every 5-6 weeks. Going from 30mg to 20mg was terrible. New pain doctor ordered clonidine. Last Friday I stopped all Methadone and withdrawal symptoms are very intense this time even with clonidine. Any suggestions of how long these horrific side effects will last? Unable to rest every muscle hurts and intense jerking of lower limbs."

pinkroses (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have used clonidine for panic attacks (episodic, severe facial sweating due to stressful situations). This medication has been extremely helpful, resolved the sweating immediately. I have tried lorazepam, which was also extremely effective, but my clinician informed me clonidine has lower risks. Beta blockers did not work at all."

Figz (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was addicted to 30mg Roxicodone taking about 8 a day. Also would take whatever I could get my hands on with it (Xanax, Ambien, whatever to mess me up)I tapered down significantly on methadone and am on day 4 of detoxing from the methadone. Clonidine was very helpful for me because I had severe anxiety and withdrawals from the methadone (Not as bad as withdrawals straight from opiates, but last much longer) I had a lot of trouble With panic attacks extreme anxiety and absolutely nothing to give me any sort of comfort which mainly came from servere back pain that would affect my entire body. Clonidine helped me so much with being able to calm myself down and taking away some of the symptoms. Am still not completely better, but so happy for freedom!"

Saving my life! February 2, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I went on treatment for opiate addiction in December of last year. While there, I was encouraged by many other opiate addicts to begin a long term Suboxone treatment plan, as I had been an active user for almost ten years. After two weeks of being on Suboxone, I knew it wasn't right for me. So the nursing staff and I came up with a plan of action! Clonidine has been an absolute God send for me. Not only does it help tremendously for withdrawal symptoms, but it has also been incredible in combating my cravings and anxiety since getting out of treatment. Since it is a blood pressure medication, it can have some downfalls. Dizziness and drowsiness. I take 1 mg, twice daily. If I eat, drink water and stay active I'm fine!"

Beccalew January 20, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am on day 2 of clonidine and so far so good. It has been a God send. It hasnt fixed everything. I still find myself slightly fatigued and getting headaches if I do too much too fast. Having some lightheadedness and slight dry mouth. But overall I finally feel I can beat this demon we call addiction. I have an appointment to get the Vivitrol shot next week and for the first time in years the future looks bright."

abetterme (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Have been a regular heroin (quarter g/day) and Fentanyl (usage unknown due to illicit fake 80mg oxycodone pills hard to say how much was in them but usually 2 pills/day) user for past year and before that a fairly heavy user of oxycodone (approx. 160mg/day). Have been a functioning addict the whole time but recently have started to really feel trapped in this addiction. Anyways did some research on the best way to detox at home (going to an inpatient facility isn't an option) and found that clonidine was very highly recommended so went to my Private Physician told him my situation being honest with my current addiction intake and he prescribed me 100 x 0.1mg clonidine and 50 x 1mg Ativan (lorazepam). This combination worked wonders, took away 96% bad symptoms."

itzmeenotyou (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I've been on opiate pain killers for 6 mos following a shoulder surgery--which is still painful and may require additional surgeries to correct. I got tired of taking Oxycontin 3x per day, or get chills, etc. Tried clonidine and it is as close to a miracle as you can get when withdrawing from opiates. No chills, not fever, no vomiting, I just take Imodium 2 tablets for the GI stuff--and it is a walk in the park over trying to taper then go off completely (which I did when I had my other shoulder done). I took 100mcg-150mcg 3x a day. Don't take for more than two weeks to be safe, and not become dependent on the clonidine, which has it's own withdrawal issues."

Shpongle (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2015

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I began taking clonidine a few years back for hypertension and ADHD. For roughly 2 and a half years it worked well with one 0.1 MG a night. I have had insomnia since I was 6 and I still do at 17. Although this medicine helped to decrease my heart rate, the body will begin to develop immunity towards a medicine after extended use. After 2 and a half years, my dosage had to increase to one 0.2 MG a night. Be careful when increasing dosage, ever since I increased to 0.2 I began to feel extremely anxious, moody, indifferent after sleep, and fatigued. Also I have had awful vivid nightmares almost every night now. Good medicine overall, but extended use could pose problems."

CheyandChris (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2015

For ADHD: "My 5 yo has been diagnosed with ADHD and impulsiveness. I was also concerned about her not sleeping or napping. She was moody and smart mouthed constantly. Her doctor put her on the lowest dose of Clonidine and the first couple nights was a miracle. She slept from 8pm to 9am. She was calm, didn't talk back, relaxed and watched a full movie with me. About a week into the medicine, she still doesn't have a problem falling asleep, but is waking up all night, getting up sometimes before it's light out, and is hyper! So hyper she is jumping out of her chair sporadically, she can't think straight, she can't focus on anything. We are going to bring this up at next appt for sure. It's like once the meds wear off watch out!!!"

mizzy313 December 30, 2014

For ADHD: "I have not experienced any negative side effects from this medication. It has helped me a great deal with my ADHD at night with anxiety, helping me to calm down in the evening to get sleep."

CMP1981 December 22, 2014

For Tourette's Syndrome: "My son was having severe motor and vocal tics (30 per minute). It was horribly scary for us all. He already had been diagnosed with ADHD and was taking guanfacine. Upping the guanfacine dose did not help so they prescribed clonidine for the tics. At first it seemed not to work at all although it did help him sleep because he could not sleep due to the tics. But the MD upped the dose and we waited for the meds to kick in (can take 2-4 weeks!) His tics have almost completely stopped! He is back in school and back to a normal life thanks to God and clonidine. I recommend giving this medicine time to work. ALSO, it still makes him very sleepy for about 2-3 hours after each dose. We manage this by dosing him at times when he could sleep after."

Betzim (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2014