User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications

Ulcerative Colitis 0 reviews 74 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clonidine reviews 156 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Clonidine

Review by Working man (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I guess I'm the party-pooper here, but I find clonidine didn't do anything for withdrawal. It just made me feel cold (ice cold), weak, totally drained of energy. Like a sick, anemic feeling. Yeah, it'd make me tired but not in a good way like Libirum or Ativan. I haven't drank any alcohol in 12 years now, and as I recall it was Ativan that brought me down easy that last time.

September 1, 2014 9:06 PM

Review by Bettye age 66 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: After three trips to ER with hypertensive crisis and unbelievable side effects from other medicines, my Dr found Clonidine 0.1mg controlled night time spiking. I take Losartan 100 mg in the morning and Clonidine at night. In between I am good. However headaches, where the skull itches and throbs are interrupting my life and I never get headaches! Not even with the hypertensive crisis.

August 18, 2014 2:14 PM

Review by OpiateFreeFinally (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Withdrawal: This medication is a God send! I was addicted to pain pills, any kind I could get my hands on. This eventually progressed to a heroin habit that lasted for 15 months. I tried many times to stop on my own, but the withdrawal symptoms are pure hell! I was given a 7 day supply after visiting an ER one night...OMG, it helped and almost stopped every symptom completely! When my 7 days ran out my family doctor gave me more. My biggest issue was the restless legs, and just restless everything that kept me from sleeping. Clonidine takes it totally away for me & I get very peaceful rest. I can finally see myself getting back to the person I used to be, thanks to this medicine! I highly recommended you at least give it a try.

August 14, 2014 2:07 AM

Review by Gary1121:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I have been on opiates for 8 years due to back problems, my wife is also on a different dose and on oxycodine I was on hydrocodine, never the less, I started getting off of these pills on Saturday, August 2,2014, today is Wednesday the 6th of Aug, I haven't had any pain pills since Saturday morning, then today I didn't take the clonidine for 18 hours instead of the 12 hours recommended by the doctor, I must say this little pill worked wanders, over the last 8 years I have run out of course every one done does, I don't care who you are what life you live, after the first 2 years my wife and I would split our pills, now I have had enough taking off work because I didn't have one of those pills. The clonidine pill is a miracle

August 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Review by *Oggers:

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: Excellent. My hot flashes have nearly stopped straight away, no side effects except sleeping a lot better and not waking up every hour sweating. I would highly recommend this medicine, should have taken it months ago.

July 18, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by Relief with Clonidine (taken for 10 years or more):

For Restless Legs Syndrome: Originally, I was diagnosed with Restless Legs Syndrome approximately 14 years ago. The symptom typical - when sitting (legs dependent) unable to find a comfortable position to relieve what I refer to as "a sensation of agitation in my bilateral lower extremities" and unable to find a comfortable position. Massaging helped to relieve the sensation, but short lived when stopped. The sensation was less obvious when laying down, positional change helped, elevation of lower extremities did little, and when walking the sensation not present. My "sensation" was discussed with my physician who wrote a script for Clonidine 0.1 mg. The only side effect I have - it still makes me sleepy after 14 years, solved by taking at bedtime, effects last for 24 hrs.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 6:56 PM

Review by MickiRivera (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Withdrawal: I took this in rehab, after I got there I started withdrawing. They gave me Clonidine. It worked there. Turns out the lovely nurse gave my local pharmacy a prescription to some more. I just found out yesterday and I got it. I have been using in the past month. It would be 1 every 3 days I would use. But when I didn't use these pains would start in my lower back Bad. Now I just gotta see if it works this time. This saved my life.

June 25, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Peaceful sleeper (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: Why does the medical community not widely suggest this medicine to women who are suffering from disabling hot flashes & not sleeping? I went to my gyn and I was told that my options were hormones, antidepressants or gabapentin. None of these were acceptable for me for various reasons. I went to my general dr who saw how serious my symptoms were and he prescribed this. I take 0.05 in the he morning and 0.05 before bed. The first night I took it I slept like a baby (something I have not done for nearly a year) and I didn't have one single flash all night! I got past the dry mouth and drowsiness and now I have no side effects and I'm my old self again. This saved my sanity and gave me my life back!

May 20, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by Floyd Anderson (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Gave me dry mouth. Made me lightheaded and groggy. Made urination frequent and painful. Made me feel like I would pass out when rising from sitting or lying down. Left me dehydrated.

April 15, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by Persona (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Clonidine can be a life saver for people going through withdrawal from opiates. I used it, a taper and finally a benzo (Valium) to end my 2 year opiate addiction with little to no problems. Trouble with clonidine is, if you are in it for too long it becomes hard to get off. It can make your methadone or opiate withdrawal look like a walk in the park as I found out. DO NOT TAKE CLONIDINE FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS. Withdrawal from it is bad and cold turkey off clonidine can be deadly if you have any underlining medical problems (high blood pressure, anxiety, panic attacks, blood clots).

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Helps with chills, that crawling out of your skin feeling and anxiety when in opiate withdrawal. Knocked out about 75% of symptoms. I've always seemed to be extra sensitive in withdrawal when it comes to those goosebumps chills etc. So I'm lucky that I had an awesome doc at the ER today who understood what I'm going through. Took clonidine 2hrs ago and feel so much better already. I thought I was going to die. Detoxed down to 5mgs of methadone from 70. Last methadone dose was 4 days ago. Still feel like crap. Just not as bad after taking clonidine. Praying I actually get some sleep tonight though.

April 3, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by JamersRN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres (clonidine) for Perimenopausal Symptoms: I take 0.1mg transdermal patch. I found the patch was/is much more effective than oral route (side effects less noticeable - dry mouth, in ability to focus well). I prepped my skin for the patch by showering, then cleaning site with alcohol. Once dry, I applied the patch. There is a temporary (1 wk) "lightening of color" at the site when the patch is removed. I've found that leaving the old patch on for 24 hours, after placing the new one, seems to give better medicinal coverage. ALL hot flashes GONE!

March 29, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by mommy#9 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: The doctor put my nine year old on Unichem 0.1 mgs at night to sleep. He also has autism spectrum. I was worried about him taking this medicine at first but he is finally going to sleep and getting a good sleep without waking up. I wanted to know if anyone experienced any reactions I need to look for. Concerned mommy.

March 25, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by dkhd (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Since my diagnosis of aortic and mitral valve insufficiency my systolic blood pressure has been poorly controlled. Clonidine 0.2mg 3x/per day has proven a miracle allowing me to now feel part of the world erasing the horrible side- effects I was experiencing related to a high systolic. In the 3 months I have been taking clonidine I have not experienced any of the symptoms reported herein. The patch works best as it evens out my systolic which tends to spike in the late afternoon/evening otherwise. The insurance company won't allow 2 0.3mg patches per week so I still have to supplement the patch with 0.1mg three times a day.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by cambull (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres (clonidine) for Opiate Withdrawal: After having Catapres given to me at a detox I cannot imagine detoxing without it. Whether detoxing cold turkey or through tapering I would recommend Catapres for anyone who's going through opiate withdrawal.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by Flykate1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Catapres (clonidine) for Anxiety: Was prescribed this in conjunction with stimulant meds for ADHD but have found this really works well to relieve NAUSEA caused by ANXIETY. However as this is primarily a Blood Pressure Medication, it can make you dizzy if you take too much. I have found it the best of any medication to treat the nausea and upset stomach Generalised Anxiety produces. Highly Recommended With Caution!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2014 8:25 AM

Review by S.M.S. (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Catapres-TTS (clonidine) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taken Clonidine 0.3 mgs. twice a day for 4 years along with my anxiety medication and has helped tremendously. If I were not to take it I wouldnt be able to function properly. So yes I definitely rely on this medication to help keep me functionable for taking care of my children and keeping our home in order.

February 22, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by MikeM23:

For Opiate Withdrawal: Was prescribed Clonidine for withdrawal from Percocet. Honestly, it is a good medicine. I see people giving it a 10, and I wouldn't go that far. It's not a miracle. I've also used Suboxone before for detox, and in my opinion it works much better. This medicine will help take the edge off of those withdrawal symptoms, but if you have a serious problem you may want to consider inpatient.

February 11, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: Experienced sudden dizzy spells and lightheadedness with this medicine. Also irregular heart beats and fatigue. Quit in 2 weeks and felt much better. Blood pressure was still on the high side 150/100 while taking it also.

February 10, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by CodyLeesMom (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: My son, (8 yrs old) takes this to be able to go to sleep at night. He is so hyper that without this medication, his brain won't slow down for him to rest. He is also ADHD, so he's constantly going. From the time he wakes up until he drops!! But it allows him to actually get some real rest. He will tell you if you ask him, that he feels better when he takes it.

January 11, 2014 3:13 AM

Review by Donald408 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: It is not an overstatement to say that clonidine probably saved my life. I drank very heavily through most of my twenties. By the time I was 29, I was up to over a fifth of 80 proof a day, if not more. I would drink as much as I physically could, basically. I also drank so heavily because I have always had panic attacks and anxiety and the alcohol helped calm my nerves, until I woke up, and it was much worse, and the cycle continued. I tried to quit other ways, but the withdrawal was too much. I was honest with my psychiatrist and she put me on Valium and clonidine. I tried a benzo alone, but it wasn't enough to stop the agitation. The combination made it more bearable. I took it day by day and now am sober going on 2 years.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 4:33 AM

Review by Bullseye barfly:

Catapres (clonidine) for Alcohol Withdrawal: Clonidine (Catapres) works great for the hypertension, cold and hot sweats/flashes, headache and overall agitation when undergoing ethanol/alcohol withdrawals. 0.1mg 3 times daily in conjuction with a benzodiazepine like chlordiazepoxide (Librium) or diazepam (Valium) may be needed depending on alcohol intake or the degree of withdrawal symptoms. Remember always be honest with your M.D. put pride aside because most likely it isn't anything he/she hasn't heard before.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 9:57 PM

Review by KK80:

Catapres (clonidine) for Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: I used Catapres to get off 2mg Xanax 3 times a day and it worked very well. I didn't feel 100% but felt about 90%. It lasted about 7 days and the withdrawal was done.

November 28, 2013 5:26 PM

Review by nybabie (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: I have been on morphine sulfate for over a year, extended and immediate release. Just moved to a new state and had a hard time finding a new doctor that would prescribe this medicine to me. The new doctor gave me an NSAID and Clonidine patch to help with the withdrawal. The patch is working wonders but unfortunately I'm still in excruciating pain from my condition. Trying really hard not to fall back on pain pills again. At least I'm not dealing with withdrawal on top of the pain though.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2013 8:04 PM

For Opiate Withdrawal: Pretty much minimized side effects of withdrawal/rapid tapering from Percocet/Oxycodone. I'd forgotten to call in a prescription renewal before and went through a weekend of hell. Clonidine cut back sweats, chills, body aches, restless legs - everything from withdrawal by a good 90%. Still some rough spots I went through, but I could function. Two bad side effects for me from Clonidine - cotton dry mouth, drowsiness like a fog. Better than alternative of nothing!

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2013 1:46 PM