Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications

Ulcerative Colitis 0 reviews 74 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clonidine reviews 187 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Clonidine

Review by A Brother (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: On day 4 of cold turkey oxycodone. This drug saved me in every way. Can't recommend it enough. Makes it tolerable....I hate opiate withdrawals and Clonidine was also a godsend for me. Almost through the worst and I feel like life is re-entering my body again. Good luck to anyone, it can be done!!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 6:39 PM

Review by clonolife:

For Opiate Withdrawal: Clonidine saved me too , been on opiates for 3 years back problems. Clonidine was great!

April 10, 2015 8:35 AM

Review by nurse lives (taken for 10 years or more):

For Opiate Withdrawal: On Oxycontin for 10 years and seen it ruin so many life's 2 back surgery 3 rotator cuff surgery 1 knee replacement pain is bad but addiction is worse. Clonidine is a miracle I needed.

April 4, 2015 6:45 AM

Review by KellyHan (taken for less than 1 month):

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: Undergoing chemo for breast cancer and started having debilitating hot flashes. PCP prescribed Clonidine and I felt relief in within 24 hours.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2015 10:55 AM

Review by DWhitz (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Clonidine works well when you are suffering from opiate withdrawal. It has helped several people that I know as well as myself. A life saver for this purpose. It doesn't take away all symptoms but it does relax the muscles and helps greatly with the hot/cold sweats. I definitely recommend this medication for this purpose.

March 7, 2015 7:09 PM

Review by Petee1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Opiate Withdrawal: I was an addict, I've been on methadone for 12 years and am slowly coming down, my Dr. Gives me clonidine for my sweating the trouble is if I take them all before my next refill I have to suffer through some serious withdrawals, clonidine is good for sweating but is damm hard on you if you stop cold turkey, it's not the "God send" like people say (at least not for me) but it does help, I am not going to refill my script though because I don't want to go through this again. (I've already got the methadone to worry about I don't need to detox from this crap too, I'll deal with the sweats without clonidine.... So be careful with this stuff. (I take 3-4 .2's a day- the Orange ones)

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 12:39 AM

Review by pinkroses (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Opiate Withdrawal: I was placed on 90mg Methodone by a pain clinic doctor daily along with 10mg of a muscle relaxant 4 times a day. Last April I had had enough of all the additional side effects so I begin weaning myself off by 10mg about every 5-6 weeks. Going from 30mg to 20mg was terrible. New pain doctor ordered clonidine. Last Friday I stopped all Methadone and withdrawal symptoms are very intense this time even with clonidine. Any suggestions of how long these horrific side effects will last? Unable to rest every muscle hurts and intense jerking of lower limbs.

February 9, 2015 2:05 PM

Review by Figz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have used clonidine for panic attacks (episodic, severe facial sweating due to stressful situations). This medication has been extremely helpful, resolved the sweating immediately. I have tried lorazepam, which was also extremely effective, but my clinician informed me clonidine has lower risks. Beta blockers did not work at all.

February 5, 2015 9:25 PM

Review by Saving my life!:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I was addicted to 30mg Roxicodone taking about 8 a day. Also would take whatever I could get my hands on with it (Xanax, Ambien, whatever to mess me up)I tapered down significantly on methadone and am on day 4 of detoxing from the methadone. Clonidine was very helpful for me because I had severe anxiety and withdrawals from the methadone (Not as bad as withdrawals straight from opiates, but last much longer) I had a lot of trouble With panic attacks extreme anxiety and absolutely nothing to give me any sort of comfort which mainly came from servere back pain that would affect my entire body. Clonidine helped me so much with being able to calm myself down and taking away some of the symptoms. Am still not completely better, but so happy for freedom!

February 2, 2015 9:26 AM

Review by Beccalew:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I went on treatment for opiate addiction in December of last year. While there, I was encouraged by many other opiate addicts to begin a long term Suboxone treatment plan, as I had been an active user for almost ten years. After two weeks of being on Suboxone, I knew it wasn't right for me. So the nursing staff and I came up with a plan of action! Clonidine has been an absolute God send for me. Not only does it help tremendously for withdrawal symptoms, but it has also been incredible in combating my cravings and anxiety since getting out of treatment. Since it is a blood pressure medication, it can have some downfalls. Dizziness and drowsiness. I take 1 mg, twice daily. If I eat, drink water and stay active I'm fine!

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2015 7:05 PM

Review by abetterme (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: I am on day 2 of clonidine and so far so good. It has been a God send. It hasnt fixed everything. I still find myself slightly fatigued and getting headaches if I do too much too fast. Having some lightheadedness and slight dry mouth. But overall I finally feel I can beat this demon we call addiction. I have an appointment to get the Vivitrol shot next week and for the first time in years the future looks bright.

January 20, 2015 1:58 PM

Review by itzmeenotyou (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Have been a regular heroin (quarter g/day) and Fentanyl (usage unknown due to illicit fake 80mg oxycodone pills hard to say how much was in them but usually 2 pills/day) user for past year and before that a fairly heavy user of oxycodone (approx. 160mg/day). Have been a functioning addict the whole time but recently have started to really feel trapped in this addiction. Anyways did some research on the best way to detox at home (going to an inpatient facility isn't an option) and found that clonidine was very highly recommended so went to my Private Physician told him my situation being honest with my current addiction intake and he prescribed me 100 x 0.1mg clonidine and 50 x 1mg Ativan (lorazepam). This combination worked wonders, took away 96% bad symptoms.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 5:53 PM

Review by Shpongle (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: I've been on opiate pain killers for 6 mos following a shoulder surgery--which is still painful and may require additional surgeries to correct. I got tired of taking Oxycontin 3x per day, or get chills, etc. Tried clonidine and it is as close to a miracle as you can get when withdrawing from opiates. No chills, not fever, no vomiting, I just take Imodium 2 tablets for the GI stuff--and it is a walk in the park over trying to taper then go off completely (which I did when I had my other shoulder done). I took 100mcg-150mcg 3x a day. Don't take for more than two weeks to be safe, and not become dependent on the clonidine, which has it's own withdrawal issues.

January 5, 2015 10:41 AM

Review by CheyandChris (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: I began taking clonidine a few years back for hypertension and ADHD. For roughly 2 and a half years it worked well with one 0.1 MG a night. I have had insomnia since I was 6 and I still do at 17. Although this medicine helped to decrease my heart rate, the body will begin to develop immunity towards a medicine after extended use. After 2 and a half years, my dosage had to increase to one 0.2 MG a night. Be careful when increasing dosage, ever since I increased to 0.2 I began to feel extremely anxious, moody, indifferent after sleep, and fatigued. Also I have had awful vivid nightmares almost every night now. Good medicine overall, but extended use could pose problems.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2015 2:47 AM

Review by mizzy313:

For ADHD: My 5 yo has been diagnosed with ADHD and impulsiveness. I was also concerned about her not sleeping or napping. She was moody and smart mouthed constantly. Her doctor put her on the lowest dose of Clonidine and the first couple nights was a miracle. She slept from 8pm to 9am. She was calm, didn't talk back, relaxed and watched a full movie with me. About a week into the medicine, she still doesn't have a problem falling asleep, but is waking up all night, getting up sometimes before it's light out, and is hyper! So hyper she is jumping out of her chair sporadically, she can't think straight, she can't focus on anything. We are going to bring this up at next appt for sure. It's like once the meds wear off watch out!!!

December 30, 2014 10:45 AM

Review by CMP1981:

For ADHD: I have not experienced any negative side effects from this medication. It has helped me a great deal with my ADHD at night with anxiety, helping me to calm down in the evening to get sleep.

December 22, 2014 8:16 PM

Review by Betzim (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Tourette's Syndrome: My son was having severe motor and vocal tics (30 per minute). It was horribly scary for us all. He already had been diagnosed with ADHD and was taking guanfacine. Upping the guanfacine dose did not help so they prescribed clonidine for the tics. At first it seemed not to work at all although it did help him sleep because he could not sleep due to the tics. But the MD upped the dose and we waited for the meds to kick in (can take 2-4 weeks!) His tics have almost completely stopped! He is back in school and back to a normal life thanks to God and clonidine. I recommend giving this medicine time to work. ALSO, it still makes him very sleepy for about 2-3 hours after each dose. We manage this by dosing him at times when he could sleep after.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2014 7:35 AM

Review by Bandit73 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Hypertensive Emergency: I have night time spikes in my blood pressure and I also have Polycystic Kidney Disease which affects my blood pressure a lot because sometimes its too low, sometimes too high! I take lisinopril 40mg Norvasc 10mg and Cadurra 8mg for blood pressure maintaining but I have a script for clonidine 0.2mg twice a day as needed and what usually happens is I take first full dose at night when my blood pressure begins to rise then I wait an hour and check blood pressure and take .1 mg of clonidine and do same thing in another hour and what I've learned is that for me clonidine effects my heart rate within 30 minutes which is not good because I don't really have a high heart rate and clonidine has made me drop into the 40s a few times while trying to lower blood pressure.

December 11, 2014 9:39 PM

Review by Dough Boy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Was really addicted to Norco and MS Contin for a lower back issue. L3, 4, 5, and S1 Spinal Stenosis and 5 injections later, my back no longer hurt bad enough to be on fairly heavy narcotic pain medication. I tried to cold turkey the 60mg Norco and MS Contin diet and made it a whopping 2 1/2 days before I had to go to doctor. He then put me on 16mgs of Suboxone, which he touted as being "MUCH EASIER" to withdraw off. Uhhh, YEAH RIGHT! Well, 2 yrs later I'm finally finished with Suboxone. I wish I could meet whoever the chemist was that created Clonidine. WHAT A LIFESAVER! I will say that Clonidine took away about 85% percent of my withdrawal symptoms and made it fairly easy to come off Suboxone. THANK THE LORD FOR CLONIDINE!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres (clonidine) for Bipolar Disorder: Works great for easing withdrawl symptoms of just about anything. But did not work for my anxiety as it gave me fairly awful side effects, (excessive sweating and horrible nightmares) and I don't often experience any side effects on any medicine. I've since had my doc look elsewhere.

November 25, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by FreedbyTruth:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I was on opiates for a few years. I finally decided the only way to be free was to confess to my family and seek help. I had tried many times to quit but the withdrawals were too much for me. I told my doctor what was going on and she gave me clonidine. It took away all the symptoms, it took me a few nights to sleep because of restless legs syndrome, but it was a miracle for me. Also very inexpensive!

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 6:14 PM

Review by LexMo111:

For Tourette's Syndrome: This helped me cope and treat my Tourette's throughout my childhood. I do rate it a 9 due to it causing drowsiness, and now I am 17 and can't sleep without it.

November 9, 2014 12:39 AM

Review by MintyNuts (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Withdrawal: Been on 0.1mg three times a day for 10 days now and it has made a HUGE difference in my detox from heroin, oxycodone, and hydromorphone. Almost completely eliminated the agitation and restlessness which has always been my personal least favourite symptom of opiate withdrawal. I highly recommend anyone suffering from an addiction akin to mine to talk to a doctor about getting on it, I finally let my family doctor know about my 3 years of on and off use of various opiates and it was his first suggestion. I am also on propranolol and amitryptiline which I started at the same time as the clonidine. The only downsides I have experienced are a certain degree of daytime drowsiness and blood pressure drops upon standing up after lying down.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by cheerbaby118:

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: I was prescribed clonodine due to delayed sleep phase disorder. At first it did absolutely nothing for me so they upped my dosage and now it works like a charm. Shuts your brain off and puts you right to bed. The only thing I dont like about it is that the next day I still feel like its fully in my system.

November 3, 2014 9:58 PM

Review by kbk127:

Catapres (clonidine) for Anxiety: I have severe anxiety and had horrible side effects from benzodiazepines. This medication has been very helpful. I am taking 0.2 mg. twice daily. Started with 0.1 mg. I recommend slowly increasing your dosage because it tends to make you drowsy until you get used to it.

October 11, 2014 10:31 PM