User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications

Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Ulcerative Colitis 0 reviews 74 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clonidine reviews 219 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Clonidine

For High Blood Pressure: "Clonidine has been the most effective drug I have used to keep my blood pressure under control. My BP is now in the 130/80 range which is down from 155-160/110. I do take it with a diuretic as well. Dry mouth is definitely a symptom but over time it diminished for me. Also, it does make me a little tired but not so much that I can't function. I take my night dose before bed anyway. Another little bonus is it seems to have eliminated my occasional RLS symptoms."

GS Andy August 31, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Had high blood pressure and felt really scattered, hard 2 focus, couldn't meditate, anxiety, when trying 2 go 2 sleep @ night, heart would beat really fast then skip a beat or two a few times, then would slow down, but heart rate was higher than it is now that I'm on clonidine. It has helped me to focus to calm down to meditate, just altogether my energy is much more positive and upbeat and happy. Everyone is different and responds differently to medication, but .1 mg of clonidine has for me made such a huge difference in my physiological and mental health it seems like a miracle drug to me. Thank God my Dr put me on it."

R H M August 30, 2015

For ADHD: "My son is 5 and was born with FAS, has been diagnosed with adhd and autism. He was prescribed clonidine a few weeks ago and has really started to stutter. He has had issues with being overly excited while speaking. Maybe he had a slight stutter that is now worse, we are not sure. He also takes Adderall and risperidone. For any parents with kids that have sleep issues, we use liquid melatonin at night. 3mg works great for him, may not work for all, but thought I would share."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Was an Heroin junkie smoking on an average of 1.5-2g a day for almost two years. Was a Roxy junkie for five years before the heroin habit. I'm on my fourth day in heavy withdrawal. The kratom worked wonders the first three days but ran short due to needing a heavier dose to do the trick. So called my Dr today after reading everything available on clonidine and explained my situation. 40 min later I had my clonidine in hand. Up all night with my legs tripping out, headache, arms and upper back starting to get sore. Took one .3mg dose and 45-55min I was able to lay on bed without the RLS or achy upper body. I would recommend this medicine to anyone during the uncomfortable reactions when you are choosing to take your life back. Good luck."

NotMy1st (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

For Hypertensive Emergency: "Unexpectedly my bp was 202/120 when I showed up for my annual visit. Brought it down ro 178/100 quickly. Given a prescription for Valsartan and was back to 110 over 70 in a few hours."

web2015 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

Catapres (clonidine) for Opiate Withdrawal: "This made me so sick I had 10 of the side effects it didn't help at all worse meds ever. I taper off myself meds where worse then withdrawal."

Zombies August 19, 2015

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "Was fantastic for the first few months, but I've developed such a tolerance to it it does absolutely nothing now, no matter how high I increase the dosage."

tommo91 August 8, 2015

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I have a mild case of Tourette's syndrome, and clonidine has saved my life."

Nicolas B. Lopez August 6, 2015

Catapres (clonidine) for Hypertensive Emergency: "I was given 0.2 mg of clonidine after having a hypertensive crises due to an interaction between a MAOI and another antidepressant. The first dose of clonidine (0.2) brought my blood pressure from 208/163 to around 140/110, at which point I was ready to head to the ER, where I got other meds. A few days later I had another crisis, but this one not as bad as the first: 173/140. The scary thing about the second crisis was that it took a total of 0.3 mg of clonidine to get my blood pressure to go down even a little. But overall, thank god for the clonidine! Maybe woulda had a stroke or something without it. My skin was all purple and the whites of my eyes were completely bright red, so I think the blood was trying to get out somehow."

brokenmind (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

Catapres-TTS (clonidine) for High Blood Pressure: "DR Recommended patch over Clonidine tablets I was taking. Waited the three days for any effect. During the three days I had to resort to my .1mg tablets to control my blood pressure. On the eve of the third night, my BP hit 160 meaning the patch was useless and I immediately when back to my regiment of .05mg (half tablet) three times a day. This keeps my BP between 125-135/75-85. I have an undiagnosed condition where I have surges to 210/110 and have been higher which can last from an hour or so to several days. The tablets stabilize my BP. Periochromocytoma has been ruled out. To add insult to injury these patches are very expensive even with RX plan."

GLGL August 1, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was really bad on pretty much any pain medication I could find. I quickly had a tolerance so high I was running through 25 tens a day! I must say that subutex saved my life!! How ever even after being slowly weaned down off the drug I still had trouble getting totally back to normal. You won't detox like as bad as tens. The symptoms are very similar. The doctor gave me clonidine. I have to say it helped with most symptoms. Except restlessness/sleep and pretty intense lower back pain. For the back pain a heating pad for home and thermacare back wraps for work. It was more than do able. After 15 years battling this crap it's finally over just in time for my first child. Had to change my old friends but it's worth it. Keep your heads up."

I feel your pain July 26, 2015

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "My 3 year old was put on this to treat his insomnia triggered by Autism and ADHD. Without it he would get up at 9am and be up until 3 or 4am sometimes even as late as 5or 6 and still get up ready to go. This medication absolutely helps him get to sleep, .01 mg is what he was prescribed however the next day to be honest he was stoned the whole day or most of it, so the doctor had us cut that in half. Now the problem with that is that he gets his pill promptly at 9pm and at midnight he's back up. So he gets a second dose to get him to sleep until about 6:30-7ish before he wakes up ready to go. I'm hoping that we'll be able to solve him getting back up, I think the problem is his pill has to be crushed and so its not a timed release."

moon3goddess3 July 23, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Very effective, but has caused extreme drowsiness along with fluid retention. The drowsiness can be extreme in the morning and will require an hour nap. Lack of coordination and inability to think clearly and stay awake at times. Some SOB at times."

pharmboy360 July 20, 2015

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I was prescribed clonidine .1mg to help with blood pressure and insomnia. Unfortunately for me it hasn't helped with neither. It worked the first week with helping me fall asleep but I still woke up about 2 hrs later in same situation. As far as blood pressure every reading still remains dangerously high."

superinsomniac July 20, 2015

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I have been on Clonidine (Teva) for a while now, and it is pretty good for what my doctor diagnosed me (Multiple Tic Disorder). He prescribed that because I dont have vocal tics. I't slows down the tics."

Nikolas Clark July 19, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Weight gain, anxiety, blood pressure not improved."

Dory the fish (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was on opiates for 8 years. Started when I was 19. I am now 26. This is the first time I have been sober longer than 24 hrs and not just because my dealers were not available. Clonidine patch for 7 days worked wonders with 8 mg Suboxen. I continue to take the clonidine pill form daily. Withdrawal symptoms were all of none with these medications. I recommend if you are addicted to opiates you speak with your physician right away. This is the first time in 8 years I can honestly say I am thinking clearly. Good luck!"

CS89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

For ADHD: "Well my Doctor boosted my ADHD medicine Adderall XR to 30 mg and I have a hard time falling a sleep even after a 14 hour work day. So he prescribed clonidine to counter my Adderall XR. Adderall helps me function at work really well. But my sleep disorder has worsen. I was taking Xanax and Ambient to sleep, but since I started adderall XR I had to stop taking the other two medications. What helps you sleep?"

Skippy1967 June 29, 2015

Kapvay (clonidine) for ADHD: "My son is 6 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Aspergers syndrome, and possible bipolar disorder. We have tried so many medications, Ritalin, Adderall, Focalin XR, Risperadal, Seroquel, and regular Clonidine. He is now taking 300 mg of Trazadone which doesn't help, 15 mg of Abilify, and Kapvay. I've spaced the three medications out but he still wakes up at 9 am and goes to bed at 3 am. I am at a loss right now because the psychiatrist says he's limited as to what he can put him on but the Trazadone I swear seems to wire him up. He's wide awake as I am writing this post. The Kapvay does make him cranky and irritable during the afternoon, any advice please."

Amichellec33 June 29, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have been abusing opiates for the past two or so years, taking about 130mg of hydrocodone a day. Today I went to a medical doctor and told him what's going on. I was too scared to tell my doctor because I didn't want the information in my chart. I broke down and told him the reason I was there because withdrawals suck. For me, the restless legs at night, not able to sleep, fatigued during the day. Anyway, he prescribed Clonidine and Vistaril and signed me up for a Psych appt for Suboxone next week. I'm deathly afraid to come off. Tomorrow will be my first day trying this to see if I can before work Monday."

lostgirl77 June 26, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "After several years, my BP had continued a slow increase until I got to the point of 200/100 and ended up in the ER. . Had several tests run to rule out any other issues . So they started me on a nightmare ride of this drug and that drug ALL of which made me very ill and all with major side effects.My dr finally tried clonidine 7-day patch and omg what a change. Sure the first week I did spike once but not badly (only 150/84) but after that I have been holding steady at 110/65 and NO side effects at all. I am thrilled."

foxhunter1958 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "It works well with sleep since I have had insomnia for over 10 years. I tried ambient but I like clonidine better although some nights I wake up 4-5 hours later to have to take another dose."

momof2beautifulkids0307 June 16, 2015

Catapres (clonidine) for Opiate Withdrawal: "I been on norco everyday for 10 years, was on 10-12 pills per day for chronic pain. Without clonidine I would be hurting like hell. I went to detox at the hospital & left after 14 hours, they wanted me on Suboxone, which is good but its just another high to kick after, been there done that, I don't need a migraine headache as well. Suboxone causes headaches & Suboxone is hell to get off. Best bet is to stick with clonidine pills. 1st day 01mg x5 2nd day x4 3rd x3 4th x2 5th x1, your 6th day can be 1, or none, you decide. The only withdrawal symptoms I have from norco is minor diarrhea, minor pain in stomach, no eating for days, hard to get to sleep but its possible...and day 1 i had depression, but I'm over it now....LIFE SAVER"

HG420 June 6, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Hello! I am actually starting to feel like my old self again. :) I started taking hydrocodone 10/325 4x a day 4yrs ago 1st due to c-section then found it helped my back pain from bulging discs and found a pain Dr. Well same for me , the 4 was not enough. When I ended my horrible relationship with hydrocodone I was up to 10 pills a day. I started stealing from my boyfriend's pill bottle and then started buying off of the street! I'm a mom of 3 gorgeous children. I couldn't believe I got to this point!! It's all I ended up knowing. I couldn't function without it! It ALMOST ruined my life. Finally I decided enough was enough and went to the ER after withdrawing for 8 hrs. This was about 6 days ago . Patch saved me!!!!!!"

angeeemac May 29, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Hi. I was addicted to heroin for two years using about a gram a day. It ruined my life. It all started with the prescription pain narcotics. Then went to heroin because of price. People it's true. They will tell you pills lead to harder drugs. My whole family told me that and I always said I'd never do that. Well I did. I started by snorting heroin, then to injections. I lost all my stuff to pawn shops. Even robbed and stole. People if you are reading this as a current user please don't think you are stronger than others because the drug already controls you. Clonidine helped me great along with suboxone strips 8.m. People get suboxone for h withdrawal it will save you. I was prescribed clonidine and suboxone and didn't feel a thing."

Typage121890 May 21, 2015