User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat High Blood Pressure

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been taking clonidine for at least 7 years and still have sedative side effects at the dose of 0.2 mg twice a day.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by Bettye age 66 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After three trips to ER with hypertensive crisis and unbelievable side effects from other medicines, my Dr found Clonidine 0.1mg controlled night time spiking. I take Losartan 100 mg in the morning and Clonidine at night. In between I am good. However headaches, where the skull itches and throbs are interrupting my life and I never get headaches! Not even with the hypertensive crisis.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2014 2:14 PM

Review by dkhd (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Since my diagnosis of aortic and mitral valve insufficiency my systolic blood pressure has been poorly controlled. Clonidine 0.2mg 3x/per day has proven a miracle allowing me to now feel part of the world erasing the horrible side- effects I was experiencing related to a high systolic. In the 3 months I have been taking clonidine I have not experienced any of the symptoms reported herein. The patch works best as it evens out my systolic which tends to spike in the late afternoon/evening otherwise. The insurance company won't allow 2 0.3mg patches per week so I still have to supplement the patch with 0.1mg three times a day.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by S.M.S. (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): I have been taken Clonidine 0.3 mgs. twice a day for 4 years along with my anxiety medication and has helped tremendously. If I were not to take it I wouldnt be able to function properly. So yes I definitely rely on this medication to help keep me functionable for taking care of my children and keeping our home in order.

February 22, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Experienced sudden dizzy spells and lightheadedness with this medicine. Also irregular heart beats and fatigue. Quit in 2 weeks and felt much better. Blood pressure was still on the high side 150/100 while taking it also.

February 10, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by cathie143 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had high blood pressure since I was 29 (now 57). I started having uncontrollable blood pressure and my primary doctor tried different medicines to no avail. Ended up at the ER with 174/120. They couldn't explain why it would go up and down. The ER doc put me on 0.1 Clonidine and I've been pretty good since then. There is an issue of "cotton mouth", and it does help me relax at bedtime...But I'm doing better pressure wise and am grateful for this medicine.

September 1, 2013 10:59 PM

Review by Audioman7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): This is a very effective medication but with extreme side effects. It is very short-lived and requires dividing the prescribed dosage into 3 times a day to avoid blood pressure spikes. It leaves you feeling "high" and sedated. Absolutely do not discontinue it abruptly. Stopping it abruptly causes your blood pressure to rebound even higher than it was before for several days. A better choice in this class is Guanfacine, which for me is even more effective and does not have the radical side effects.

August 31, 2013 9:07 AM

Review by Baramati (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Clonidine 1 mg x 2 times a day did not lower my Blood Pressure enough. It brought it to 135/95, (without medicines my readings are 160/110 ). So now I am taking it 1.5 mg x 2 times (morning and at bedtime), and waiting to see if it helps to get back to 120/80. I also take Cozaar 50 mg once a day. Yes, dry mouth is a slight problem. But I just carry bottled water wherever I go. Cozaar gives me diarrhea, and the clonidine has a constipating effect. So they kind of cancel each other out. Clonidine also gives me slight dizziness, especially when I bend down to reach for something, and then get my head back up. If the head is not subject to sudden motion, I really have not felt dizziness to be a problem.

August 6, 2013 11:38 AM

Review by penny (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking clonidine for 4 days and my blood pressure has not gone down at all. I am so dizzy and lightheaded that it is making it difficult to function. Also very dry mouth so it is just not working for me.

May 6, 2013 1:44 AM

I love the transdermal patches. Very convenient weekly application and virtually eliminates the ups and downs I experienced with the pill form of clonidine. Tiredness, fatigue, dry eyes are a small price to pay for good blood pressure control.

July 24, 2012 10:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Works on blood pressure top number rating, but I gained water weight and swelling. May be allergic.

May 3, 2012 1:43 PM

Review by lucky woman:

Within two weeks my blood pressure came down from well over 200, 190s and 180s down to averages of 140's and below. Incredible because for several years it was extremely high and I had a stroke in my eye because of it. I'm thrilled with the results because no other medicine worked.

March 21, 2012 10:17 PM

This med is effective at reducing high blood pressure quickly however the side effects are extremely bad. This is not the type of medicine you would want to use on a regular basis to manage high blood pressure. I became so lightheaded and dizzy it was difficult to function normally at work not to mention the dry mouth and constipation. Use this for a spike then maintain blood pressure levels with another medication with fewer side effects.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2012 5:35 PM

Clonidine may help with blood pressure, but the drug has severe side effects for me. These include terrible dizziness, joint and hip pain that makes it difficult to walk without pain. Thirty hours off the medicine and the pain is gone and the dizziness is much better. Perhaps I am allergic to the medication.

May 17, 2011 12:21 PM

It worked great to lower my blood pressure, but I was extremely dizzy, awful dry mouth and a very low heart rate [41] so my doctor took me off clonidine right away.

March 18, 2011 8:37 PM

It worked great in conjunction with Lotrel. It just REALLY makes me sleepy! Do not take it if you are going to be driving.

May 27, 2010 10:55 AM

Review by chanchee:

After being on 17 different blood pressure medicines tekturna and clonidine have it under control. The only side effect is being tired.

April 11, 2010 7:52 PM

Review by Annie210:

I've taken this medicine since January 2010. It controls one part of my blood pressure but not the lower number. When taken with Cozaar both are under control. However, recently I have been having problems with dizziness and confusion. One day I forgot to take my medicines, left my pill box at home and found I had NO confusion that day or dizziness. My concern is that I am developing a tolerance to these medicines which has happened in the past for me. It is good for controlling blood pressure but these new side effects are scarring me.

March 21, 2010 10:46 AM

It makes my eyes very dry but I sleep very well when using it.

March 16, 2010 1:20 PM

Review by DOWALDS:

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): Never been a day without it. I trust my life on it!

November 27, 2009 2:47 AM

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): Been using it for years. I trust it so much!

November 27, 2009 2:43 AM

Review by DeepSouth:

Works well for blood pressure but a side effect I experience is that it makes me very short tempered. I could become a middle linebacker.

October 4, 2009 8:29 PM

I just want to say that this is the best medicine because if it were not for clonidine I wouldn't be here.

June 25, 2009 1:42 PM

Review by Female age 58:

I took this medicine for one week. It caused extremely blurry vision, tired all the time, jittery feeling and extremely dry mouth problem. Called my doctor and was taken off the medicine immediately. The only good thing I have to say is that it did lower my blood pressure.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2009 12:40 PM

Review by high bp:

This medicine is not reducing my diastolic pressure as I feel it should. It is still averaging over 100.

March 16, 2009 11:19 PM