User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat High Blood Pressure

"Clonidine has been the most effective drug I have used to keep my blood pressure under control. My BP is now in the 130/80 range which is down from 155-160/110. I do take it with a diuretic as well. Dry mouth is definitely a symptom but over time it diminished for me. Also, it does make me a little tired but not so much that I can't function. I take my night dose before bed anyway. Another little bonus is it seems to have eliminated my occasional RLS symptoms."

GS Andy August 31, 2015

"Had high blood pressure and felt really scattered, hard 2 focus, couldn't meditate, anxiety, when trying 2 go 2 sleep @ night, heart would beat really fast then skip a beat or two a few times, then would slow down, but heart rate was higher than it is now that I'm on clonidine. It has helped me to focus to calm down to meditate, just altogether my energy is much more positive and upbeat and happy. Everyone is different and responds differently to medication, but .1 mg of clonidine has for me made such a huge difference in my physiological and mental health it seems like a miracle drug to me. Thank God my Dr put me on it."

R H M August 30, 2015

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): "DR Recommended patch over Clonidine tablets I was taking. Waited the three days for any effect. During the three days I had to resort to my .1mg tablets to control my blood pressure. On the eve of the third night, my BP hit 160 meaning the patch was useless and I immediately when back to my regiment of .05mg (half tablet) three times a day. This keeps my BP between 125-135/75-85. I have an undiagnosed condition where I have surges to 210/110 and have been higher which can last from an hour or so to several days. The tablets stabilize my BP. Periochromocytoma has been ruled out. To add insult to injury these patches are very expensive even with RX plan."

GLGL August 1, 2015

"Very effective, but has caused extreme drowsiness along with fluid retention. The drowsiness can be extreme in the morning and will require an hour nap. Lack of coordination and inability to think clearly and stay awake at times. Some SOB at times."

pharmboy360 July 20, 2015

"Weight gain, anxiety, blood pressure not improved."

Dory the fish (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2015

"After several years, my BP had continued a slow increase until I got to the point of 200/100 and ended up in the ER. . Had several tests run to rule out any other issues . So they started me on a nightmare ride of this drug and that drug ALL of which made me very ill and all with major side effects.My dr finally tried clonidine 7-day patch and omg what a change. Sure the first week I did spike once but not badly (only 150/84) but after that I have been holding steady at 110/65 and NO side effects at all. I am thrilled."

foxhunter1958 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

"Makes me dizzy, unsteady on feet and sleepy. Little to no effect on lowering my blood pressure. Before I started taking meds my diastolic was 80 to 90 now it's 100 and above."

GmFay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2015

"I have been taking clonidine for at least 7 years and still have sedative side effects at the dose of 0.2 mg twice a day."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 11, 2014

"After three trips to ER with hypertensive crisis and unbelievable side effects from other medicines, my Dr found Clonidine 0.1mg controlled night time spiking. I take Losartan 100 mg in the morning and Clonidine at night. In between I am good. However headaches, where the skull itches and throbs are interrupting my life and I never get headaches! Not even with the hypertensive crisis."

Bettye age 66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2014

"Since my diagnosis of aortic and mitral valve insufficiency my systolic blood pressure has been poorly controlled. Clonidine 0.2mg 3x/per day has proven a miracle allowing me to now feel part of the world erasing the horrible side- effects I was experiencing related to a high systolic. In the 3 months I have been taking clonidine I have not experienced any of the symptoms reported herein. The patch works best as it evens out my systolic which tends to spike in the late afternoon/evening otherwise. The insurance company won't allow 2 0.3mg patches per week so I still have to supplement the patch with 0.1mg three times a day."

dkhd (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2014

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): "I have been taken Clonidine 0.3 mgs. twice a day for 4 years along with my anxiety medication and has helped tremendously. If I were not to take it I wouldnt be able to function properly. So yes I definitely rely on this medication to help keep me functionable for taking care of my children and keeping our home in order."

S.M.S. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2014

"Experienced sudden dizzy spells and lightheadedness with this medicine. Also irregular heart beats and fatigue. Quit in 2 weeks and felt much better. Blood pressure was still on the high side 150/100 while taking it also. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2014

"I have had high blood pressure since I was 29 (now 57). I started having uncontrollable blood pressure and my primary doctor tried different medicines to no avail. Ended up at the ER with 174/120. They couldn't explain why it would go up and down. The ER doc put me on 0.1 Clonidine and I've been pretty good since then. There is an issue of "cotton mouth", and it does help me relax at bedtime...But I'm doing better pressure wise and am grateful for this medicine."

cathie143 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): "This is a very effective medication but with extreme side effects. It is very short-lived and requires dividing the prescribed dosage into 3 times a day to avoid blood pressure spikes. It leaves you feeling "high" and sedated. Absolutely do not discontinue it abruptly. Stopping it abruptly causes your blood pressure to rebound even higher than it was before for several days. A better choice in this class is Guanfacine, which for me is even more effective and does not have the radical side effects."

Audioman7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2013

"Clonidine 1 mg x 2 times a day did not lower my Blood Pressure enough. It brought it to 135/95, (without medicines my readings are 160/110 ). So now I am taking it 1.5 mg x 2 times (morning and at bedtime), and waiting to see if it helps to get back to 120/80. I also take Cozaar 50 mg once a day. Yes, dry mouth is a slight problem. But I just carry bottled water wherever I go. Cozaar gives me diarrhea, and the clonidine has a constipating effect. So they kind of cancel each other out. Clonidine also gives me slight dizziness, especially when I bend down to reach for something, and then get my head back up. If the head is not subject to sudden motion, I really have not felt dizziness to be a problem."

Baramati (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2013

"I have been taking clonidine for 4 days and my blood pressure has not gone down at all. I am so dizzy and lightheaded that it is making it difficult to function. Also very dry mouth so it is just not working for me."

penny (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2013

"I love the transdermal patches. Very convenient weekly application and virtually eliminates the ups and downs I experienced with the pill form of clonidine. Tiredness, fatigue, dry eyes are a small price to pay for good blood pressure control."

Anonymous July 24, 2012

"Works on blood pressure top number rating, but I gained water weight and swelling. May be allergic."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2012

"Within two weeks my blood pressure came down from well over 200, 190s and 180s down to averages of 140's and below. Incredible because for several years it was extremely high and I had a stroke in my eye because of it. I'm thrilled with the results because no other medicine worked."

lucky woman March 21, 2012

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This med is effective at reducing high blood pressure quickly however the side effects are extremely bad. This is not the type of medicine you would want to use on a regular basis to manage high blood pressure. I became so lightheaded and dizzy it was difficult to function normally at work not to mention the dry mouth and constipation. Use this for a spike then maintain blood pressure levels with another medication with fewer side effects."

Anonymous January 21, 2012

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Clonidine may help with blood pressure, but the drug has severe side effects for me. These include terrible dizziness, joint and hip pain that makes it difficult to walk without pain. Thirty hours off the medicine and the pain is gone and the dizziness is much better. Perhaps I am allergic to the medication."

Anonymous May 17, 2011

"It worked great to lower my blood pressure, but I was extremely dizzy, awful dry mouth and a very low heart rate [41] so my doctor took me off clonidine right away."

Anonymous March 18, 2011

"It worked great in conjunction with Lotrel. It just REALLY makes me sleepy! Do not take it if you are going to be driving."

Anonymous May 27, 2010

"After being on 17 different blood pressure medicines tekturna and clonidine have it under control. The only side effect is being tired."

chanchee April 11, 2010

"I've taken this medicine since January 2010. It controls one part of my blood pressure but not the lower number. When taken with Cozaar both are under control. However, recently I have been having problems with dizziness and confusion. One day I forgot to take my medicines, left my pill box at home and found I had NO confusion that day or dizziness. My concern is that I am developing a tolerance to these medicines which has happened in the past for me. It is good for controlling blood pressure but these new side effects are scarring me."

Annie210 March 21, 2010