User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Tourette's Syndrome.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Tourette's Syndrome

Review by Jenny B (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking Clonidine, one pill 4 times a day about a month ago. It made me sleepy but most of my tics were gone for the first 2 hours then just less violent. Until 4 hours when they'd be back full force. My doctor recently doubled my dose and if I take my first dose first thing in the morning and don't forget a dose it'll only tic maybe 5-10 times in a day which is amazing for me. The only downside is that I get very sleepy and have to take a nap to be able to function properly. It has also been amazing for my generalized anxiety disorder. I'm much less nervous.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2013 9:45 AM

Review by tics gone (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Catapres (clonidine): My son was diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome at an early age. He was put on clonidine. Made him sleepy so we gave 1/4 th his dose and it suppressed his tics. Very beneficial to his quality of life in my eyes. Did cause mild dry mouth.

December 28, 2012 7:34 PM

Review by Tourettes girl:

I used clonidine for Tourette's Syndrome when I was 15. I would fall sleep in class all the time. So I quit taking it. Now 30 and I'm going to give it one more try. So far the side effect is I can't sleep. I feel sleep fine but up at 2:30 in the morning, I have dry mouth really bad. I will keep everyone updated.

June 9, 2011 5:49 AM

Review by 30YO:

Prescribed clonidine in December when my motor tics had become debilitating. One pill three times a day didn't accomplish much. My neurologist upped my dose to 5 pills 3 times a day and my tics ceased completely within 10 days. When my life gets really stressful the tics come back, but a few days at 2 pills 3 times daily and they usually subside. Side effects with 3x5 daily were significant...could not stay awake for more than an hour or two at a time (couldn't drive) and the dry mouth (cotton mouth) was terrible, but the tics went away. Side effects with 3x2 daily are similar, but not as severe.

September 19, 2010 12:18 AM

Review by Tom11RR:

Works well intermittently, meaning that sometimes the dosage has to be increased, then decreased, then stopped in favor of a different medicine like Tenex. It definitely helps control motor tics. I'm not so sure it decreases phonic tics. My own phonic tics aren't so severe as they were in my early teens (I'm 21 now). I've been taking this medicine for 7 years now, and if it's discontinued for a while and then started again, it has good results. I have never found any medicine that completely removed all symptoms of Tourette, but this, Tenex, Quetiapine, Risperdal, and Haldol have all worked well for me personally in different ways. Clonidine stops tics for a while, and that's better than nothing especially for someone in agony like me.

February 6, 2010 4:56 AM

My young son was diagnosed with Tourette's and had both speech and eye tics which were interfering with life. Fortunately, we found a neurologist expert in tic conditions who prescribed the Catapres patch. Once we found the appropriate dosage, the tics subsided completely and no adverse side effects have been noted. We have used this drug now for 5 years. Now our daughter is showing signs of multiple tics so we will try Clonidine with her. We are very thankful for this drug.

December 27, 2009 6:22 PM

Was using risperdal before, was experiencing very bad anxiety attacks and great loss of impulse control. I then started Catapres and it helps ticks moderately but mostly with the anxiety and impulse control.

April 1, 2008 7:12 PM