User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Opiate Withdrawal

Review by Floyd Anderson (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

clonidine: Gave me dry mouth. Made me lightheaded and groggy. Made urination frequent and painful. Made me feel like I would pass out when rising from sitting or lying down. Left me dehydrated.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 15, 2014 5:14 PM
Review by Persona (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

clonidine: Clonidine can be a life saver for people going through withdrawal from opiates. I used it, a taper and finally a benzo (Valium) to end my 2 year opiate addiction with little to no problems. Trouble with clonidine is, if you are in it for too long it becomes hard to get off. It can make your methadone or opiate withdrawal look like a walk in the park as I found out. DO NOT TAKE CLONIDINE FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS. Withdrawal from it is bad and cold turkey off clonidine can be deadly if you have any underlining medical problems (high blood pressure, anxiety, panic attacks, blood clots).

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 8:30 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

clonidine: Helps with chills, that crawling out of your skin feeling and anxiety when in opiate withdrawal. Knocked out about 75% of symptoms. I've always seemed to be extra sensitive in withdrawal when it comes to those goosebumps chills etc. So I'm lucky that I had an awesome doc at the ER today who understood what I'm going through. Took clonidine 2hrs ago and feel so much better already. I thought I was going to die. Detoxed down to 5mgs of methadone from 70. Last methadone dose was 4 days ago. Still feel like crap. Just not as bad after taking clonidine. Praying I actually get some sleep tonight though.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 6:53 PM
Review by cambull (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Catapres (clonidine): After having Catapres given to me at a detox I cannot imagine detoxing without it. Whether detoxing cold turkey or through tapering I would recommend Catapres for anyone who's going through opiate withdrawal.

March 20, 2014 10:18 PM
Review by MikeM23: User Rating:

clonidine: Was prescribed Clonidine for withdrawal from Percocet. Honestly, it is a good medicine. I see people giving it a 10, and I wouldn't go that far. It's not a miracle. I've also used Suboxone before for detox, and in my opinion it works much better. This medicine will help take the edge off of those withdrawal symptoms, but if you have a serious problem you may want to consider inpatient.

February 11, 2014 4:07 PM
Review by nybabie (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

clonidine: I have been on morphine sulfate for over a year, extended and immediate release. Just moved to a new state and had a hard time finding a new doctor that would prescribe this medicine to me. The new doctor gave me an NSAID and Clonidine patch to help with the withdrawal. The patch is working wonders but unfortunately I'm still in excruciating pain from my condition. Trying really hard not to fall back on pain pills again. At least I'm not dealing with withdrawal on top of the pain though.

November 25, 2013 8:04 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

clonidine: Pretty much minimized side effects of withdrawal/rapid tapering from Percocet/Oxycodone. I'd forgotten to call in a prescription renewal before and went through a weekend of hell. Clonidine cut back sweats, chills, body aches, restless legs - everything from withdrawal by a good 90%. Still some rough spots I went through, but I could function. Two bad side effects for me from Clonidine - cotton dry mouth, drowsiness like a fog. Better than alternative of nothing!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 15, 2013 1:46 PM
Review by bella r: User Rating:

clonidine: Significantly helped lower my blood pressure and get me through withdrawal from prescribed narcotic medicine following surgery... It was only $4 for a month's supply without insurance. A complete lifesaver.

November 12, 2013 5:42 PM
Review by Pinkylee (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

clonidine: I am 32... Have been addicted to everything sense I was 15... Opiates and herion being the last... It almost flushed my college degrees and all my hard work down a dirty toilet! So I decided enough is enough!!! I love myself more than this! So I signed up for live in detox for a week .. Was prescribed clonidine ... Started taking it ASAP... I was out of detox in 3 days and haven't looked back... I didn't get sick clonidine saved me from what I have felt to be ne'er death feeling of opiate and heroin withdrawals.. That and my clonazepam... Saved me ...

November 10, 2013 4:03 PM
Review by Chom: User Rating:

clonidine: On day 2 of the clonidine patch haven't had a pill in 16 hours and going strong. So far this has been a godsend no rls usually I get 6 hours after my last dose of perc. I feel groggy but am eating and lightly sleeping and no cravings. Note I was taking 140mg of perc daily for two years did a quick 7 day taper to yesterday I went insane all week then my pm dr gave me the patch and it is like night an day

November 2, 2013 4:07 PM
Review by Maxismynicknameifitworks: User Rating:

clonidine: So I have been on a lot of opiate meds over 12 years. First Vicodin then so on up to oxymorph, oxycodone highest doses were not affecting me at all. Taking well over 140mg daily to sustain. I like to have this info as a reader so you can understand tolerance and possible withdrawal (even though it varies). Clonidine has seemingly done wonders. It took away my panic. I am coming up on day 3 now kicks started 16 or so hours ago sweating etc started 8 hours in and it is helping me stay strong. You're going to detox, and there will be hard times but there is also amazing happiness when you can experience all the sensations of life again. Stay strong keep moving on.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 25, 2013 2:04 AM
Review by Addictedtoolong (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

clonidine: I have been hooked on narcotic pain killers for 30 years. It got so bad this last year I thought it would kill me, 100mg MS Contin slow release at the rate of 10 to 15 a day. Then I tried to stop, and oh my God. Clondine transdermal literally saved my life. I put the patch on, viola! Night and day difference. Whew!

July 21, 2013 5:05 PM
Review by Rapid subo detox: User Rating:

clonidine: I had withdrawals before...I had no idea this medicine existed! My new Dr. Who happens to be my PC prescribed this to me when I had been gradually dosing down for about a year from Suboxone. It doesn't stop all withdrawal symptoms but no sweats, hot/cold flashes, helps psychologically and is safe to use with anxiety meds, Xanax/Valium etc. I'm headed in to day 3 and had a little trouble sleeping through the night - but I did get sleep and am able to go about my mandatory daily tasks without crawling out of my skin and suffering from "the ick" for the most part. I'm psyched to reach the end of the tunnel - I have been pretty hard on myself during this experience. I 100% recommend asking your doctor for it! Good luck out there.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 24, 2013 2:45 PM
Review by Kicked a 6 year habit (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Catapres (clonidine): Clonidine made all the difference in the world in my recovery. It helped with my restless leg, cravings, sweating. I took it with Valium. It makes you feel like you're walking through mud but it beats the alternative!! It's very inexpensive. It was a life saver for me.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 24, 2013 1:27 PM
Review by Boobae (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Catapres (clonidine): It was great

February 27, 2013 1:13 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Catapres (clonidine): It works, but makes you really tired

January 29, 2013 3:17 PM
Review by rdf1122: User Rating:

clonidine: I have been addicted to opiates for over 10 yrs. and I have been through many horrible withdrawals. After getting my habit over $150 per day I had had enough. I decided to get on Suboxone. I was prescribed 8mgs per day and this went on for over a year when my doc suddenly shut his practice down. I decided this is the time for me to get off. Well I found myself in the ER and the doc prescribed .1 mg clonidine. It was a GODSEND! It helped so much with the chills, sweats, crying, etc. It does make you very drowsy but it makes the detox tolerable. I was able to sleep and eat during the detox while on Clonidine. I used Xanax at night also to help with sleep. Clonidine helps big time!

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 26, 2013 1:19 PM
Review by 604bc (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

clonidine: I tried to quit opiates on my own and I couldn't do it. I was so dependent on them I would vomit, sweat, light headed, aching bones...just miserable if I didn't have opiates in my system. I went into a detox program, and opted out of doing either a methadone or Suboxone quick taper program. I instead went on the 'opiate protocol" which was clonidine and Syraquil. I was amazed how effective it was. I went through none of the nasty initial withdrawal symptoms. After 5 days I started feeling secondary withdrawal symptoms (nausea, irritable, bad insomnia, sweating, night chills, shakes, aches).

November 24, 2012 10:15 AM
Review by NoMoreOpiates (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Catapres (clonidine): Works very well, it will make me very sleepy and takes away restless legs syndrome, sweats, and nausea. After stopping any opiate and before taking Suboxone, you need to go through withdrawal before the Suboxone will work and taking clonidine will ease the withdrawal symptoms. It will not take them away completely but it will make it a million times easier than without anything. When trying to get off Suboxone, taking clonidine in between doses of Suboxone will really really help. Tapering off Suboxone takes a long time and needs to be taken very slowly or withdrawals will last for weeks. There are several other medications that will help inconjunction with clonidine, just ask your doctor.

November 16, 2012 3:06 AM
Review by tocha23 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

clonidine: I have been on hydrocodone for about 7 years and when my doctor took me off it I went through terrible withdrawals so I went to the ER and the doctor prescribed clonidine and I tell you this it is heaven sent. I don't feel the withdrawals.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 15, 2012 7:01 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Catapres (clonidine): This patch helped me so so much with opiate withdrawal. I used the patch for 8 weeks and discontinued my Ultram. I experienced zero withdrawal. I highly recommend using this patch to get yourself off the opiates.

December 25, 2011 4:16 PM
Review by No Monkey: User Rating:

Catapres (clonidine): Clonidine is definitely a wonder for opiate withdrawal. I asked to be detoxed in hospital after over a year of pain management got the best of me...they aren't kidding when they say opiates are addictive. After 2 days of sleeping through cold turkey (for the most part) I was able to eat and act normal, with no physical cravings. They administered a combination of clonidine, Serax, Soma, Ativan and gabapentin, so I can't say which worked better initially. The clonidine seems to lessen the worst physical effects. It lowered my blood pressure a lot, so only 0.5mg dose was allowed at a time, maybe more would work better for someone else with higher pressure. Detox with a doctor's help, they've got lots of options.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 1, 2011 4:55 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

clonidine: This medicine COMPLETELY takes away ALL of my opiate withdrawal symptoms, but makes me exhausted, so I recommended taking it only at night.

November 13, 2011 2:07 AM
Review by sister ray: User Rating:

clonidine: Overall it will take the edge off slightly. Honestly though if you are detoxing of a good sized habit you aren't going to make it in this alone.

November 2, 2011 1:44 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Catapres (clonidine): I do feel Clonidine is a highly effective while going through opiate withdrawal. It helps a great deal. I couldn't imagine a detox without it.

August 19, 2011 11:16 PM