User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Opiate Withdrawal

"Been on oxy n morphs since early/mid 90's had a couple back surgeries, got off them but pain always comes back, ran a couple days short this month, tried some clonodine n it seems to help w/some withdrawal but makes me dizzy, so b careful!!"

Zobbie (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"I'm 44 and I've been in the drug abuse game since I was a teenager. I went through the usual drugalogue from weed to speed and acid and ecstacy. cocaine until i found the love of my life, heroin. and so went on a roller coaster ride of overdoses, detoxes, broken promises, Hep C, friends dying. You know script. I paid to see a private doc in belgravia and they offered me 0.2 mmg 3 times a day clonidine. So I'm 4 days in and feel ok. A bit stiff coz I'm house bound. Will try to do yoga today but low blood presure is a hinderence. I should add I'm using non prescription diazipan. but my doc'd gimme them if i asked. Defo the easiest cluck I've ever done. I expect to be off theses tablets and bk at work in a few days"

A long term herion user, Dan (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

"I've been on Methadone 60mg for 10 years following an accident that broke my neck, shoulder and caused neuropathy. I use to beg for anything else, but unfortunately every doctor prescribe the same thing. I literally stopped my methadone 7 days ago, my doctor called in Clonidine 2mg and I take xanax anyways. I have to say I personally have experienced no withdrawal at all, and am beyond grateful for clonidine and that this horrid narcotics game is over... hope this helps! Best of luck!"

Hollylaine1977 April 24, 2016

"I am not addicted to pain medications. I am on them because I have been diagnosed with 34 different diseases and illnesses the majority of which cause severe chronic intractable pain. At my last appointment with my pain management doctor I have seen for 4 years and have passed every UA and pill count, for whatever reason he absolutely would not tell me, he just decided without asking me about it at all, to not give me my prescription for the Morphine Sulfate ER 60 m.g. I take 1 every 8 hours. This is extremely dangerous to just yank someone off of ANY pain medication, anti-depressant, etc., instantly. I am not able to be off the Morphine. Now what? Clonidine interacts with my heart meds."

abbyinokc (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2016

"After injuring my back in 2008, (back surgeries in '09 and '11), I was on morphine and then hydromorphone and hydromorph contin for 7 years. Made the decision to go 'drug-free" in Jan15. In June/15 I entered detox for 10 days, followed by 8 weeks in rehab. While in detox, I was switched over to Suboxone 24mg/day. Since Aug/15, I have been decreasing my dose and am now at 4mg/day. When I tried to go to 2mg/day, I began experiencing severe withdrawal again and went back to 4mg. 2 days ago I reduced again to 2mg, but was also given Clonidine .5mg 3 three time a day. I expect the wd to start tomorrow and will be taking the Clonidine with it. I am hoping and praying that this will be the trick to getting my life back. Your stories have made me feel better."

Dman5 April 15, 2016

"I am 25 yrs old and I have been going to the methadone clinic for 7 YEAR'S! I am so tired of taking something just to feel normal. I have been on 103mg. I started tapering down a lil over a yr ago I am down to 11 mg a day. Last week money was tight due to bills and so I decided to just taper off of the bottles I have and hope for the best. I'm wanting to go to dr. And get some cholnidine to see if it helps."

Star2 March 28, 2016

"I'm on clonidine .01 mg before bed for anxiety and opiate withdrawal. I'm not finding it to be super helpful with either issue, although it does take the edge off some of the withdrawal symptoms. I had high hopes after reading some other reviews but I'm not experiencing the same effects. I've been on various opiates for the large part of the past 20 years, the last 6 on methadone maintenance. It has done wonders for me, but I gained a LOT of weight when I went on the methadone and I want to try to taper so I can successfully stay sober and maintain a healthy weight. So far I'm not feeling hopeful but it's only been a few days. I'll try to report back in a week or so."

DeepBlue46 March 27, 2016

"Been on Opiates for 14 years for numerous health issues lupus, fibromyalgia, neck and back surgery, gastric bypass surgery just to name some. Tried tapering, tried cold turkey tried suboxone didn't work went back using and more each time was up to 35 norco 10 a day in In increments of course for the last 3 years however went in last week and got clonodine for the worst part of the withdrawals was given trazadone for sleep and robaxin for RLS and back pain from the withdrawals. I also read about Elimidrol a natural herb product I haven't taken any robaxin I take 0.1 mg clonodine every 8 hours trazadone at night only just 1 50 mg and I only took Imodium the first day I feel awesome just energy a lil low don't give up!!!!"

Marie Anderson March 10, 2016

"I have recurring biological Pancreatitis (not from gall stones, not from alcohol-I don't drink) and of course with each episode it's off the hospital for a few days with Dilauded. Coming off Dilauded as most know can be harsher than the illness. I went to a great pain mgt doctor and he gave me a RX for a box of Chlonodine Transmittal Patch's 0.30 mg you wear for a week each. After suffering from withdrawals in the past from Dilauded, CTP was given to me by an outside hospital pain mgt doctor. I have had ZERO withdrawls symptoms except for a minor cold sweat but that's it. No side effects from the patch. The key to this for me was to take CTP at the same time I started with Dilauded before tapering down. That way, the drug is already in me"

MikeLAX (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

Catapres (clonidine): "I've found clonidine does help very much with physical symptoms of opiate w/d.But many Dr's dont want to give more than a few pills at the lowest dose. Which wasnt any help at all. Its unfortunate that I ended up failing cuz I couldn't find Dr. to "trust" & understand I could handle a short term prescription- which regrettably led me to a methadone pgrm. Now I know better I know what I'll need once I finish tapering off the meth. Only thing is I don't hear anyone speak about side effects of stopping the clonidine tho. I gave it a 7 because I always get an uptick in my BP & heartrate. Best to be very careful & use for shortest time possible."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

"If you take clonidine 3 times a day and xanax 3 times a day...you will not feel any withdrawal. Maybe a little more tired. I take 0.5 milligrams of xanax morning noon and night. And clonidine 10 milligrams."

Joydepascale (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2016

"I am blessed to have found this site! I have been addicted to percocets for 7 yrs....2 days ago I ran out of meds ( I was 2 wks short on my refill) that's how many I used a day and if that wasn't enough I bought off the street. Long story short ..theres no room available in my area for detox..ER Turned me away. Even my family doctor ....PM nurse and doc put me on Clonodine and I feel amazing. Only after 2 days!! No withdrawal symptoms maybe slight headache is all. Please. If you feel there is no way out of this narcotic hell there is help. Just ask for it! I am so happy there is a bright future for me NARCOTIC FREE!! Best of luck to all that suffer. It WILL GET BETTER."

Kmw4271999 January 17, 2016

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am on a regular dose of Subutex and have been for 5 years. I had to have surgery and was put on Lortab 5 for pain and I took the 20 that was given to me over a 8 day period. After my last Lortab I started back taking my Subutex but found that it was not helping me. I found myself to be in withdrawal and I was not feeling well @ all. I was hurting all over, my nerves were bad and I was just beside myself. I called my Dr. who gives me Subutex and he sent me Clonidine and within an hour I felt so much better. This drug really helped me to overcome this difficult time in my life."

Terripey (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

"I am a Marine Corps veteran ..I served in Desert Storm and in Somalia .. I was victim of an IED but survived. 2 of my buddies didn't. My left foot took the most damage and I almost lost it. I kept refusing amputation even though I was being told I would never be able to walk on it. 11 months later I was walking with the aid of crutches.. Long story short I ended up addicted to opiates. I tried over and over to kick the addiction myself with no luck .. And believe me I tried...for 14 years I tried .. I finally broke down and asked for help ... My doc gave me clonidine for my RLS symptoms and it worked wonders ... And this is coming from a person taking 240mg of oxycontin then was switched to 120 mg of opana a day. It works people ask for help"

One foot Vet (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2016

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking viks for migraine purposes & ended up taking 20 a day (1000's) for 4 years. Then addiction comes first in life. Then I decided to stop by taking suboxone 8mg per day - it's incredibly hard to get off it. I got addicted to it for a few yes then took methadone for about 2 months - curing opiates addiction with opiates not the best idea it didn't work for me . So now I'm taking clonidine .3 mg it was hell on earth for the first days . Shaking , burning of the body , hot & cold, RLS , and bad insomnia . After a couple of days it starts wearing down . Hanging in there !"

Fox 313 (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2015

"I started taking viks at 19 for my migraines about 20 day 1000's & I'm only about 100 pounds. I took them for about 4 years. It was getting worse & I wanted to stop so I was put on suboxone 8mg per day then I got addicted to that I couldn't stop taking them for about 3 years. So then I tried methadone first week went already up to 50mg. So I stopped taking everything and had the worst withdrawals imaginable , I was rushed to the hospital & they gave me a clonodine patch, now I'm supposed to start the .3mg which scares me bc it says it lowers blood pressure & mine is a bit low already. Has anyone had any issues ?"

Clara25 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015

"Been on opiates, benzos, alcohol and just about anything I could get my hands on. I'm going into detox very soon and Dr prescribed clonidine. Though not a magical cure all it does take the edge off. Worth a try for sure. Especially for first time detoxers. This is coming from a 25 year addict. At first they will just throw more narcotics at you in the form of benzos. But this is a great alternative. Stay strong."

Equal opportunity addict (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2015

"This med was a life saver!! I've been on pain meds since 2004. Taking 6-8 5mg ox and 60mg of morphine a day. I've had back surgery twice and I still have pain but scheduling your day around your meds and it controls you. This medication made the withdraw symptoms very manageable. I will say don't stop taking this medication without talking with your pcp. There are some slight withdraw symptoms with this medication."

JR E December 4, 2015

"I'm at the end of day 6 of my detox/withdrawal and without the clonidine I couldn't have done it. I have been on Opiates for a few years and the 120 pills the doctor prescribed every month were usually gone in two weeks, so I had to go buy from a friend, but the ones from him were Morphine. I started getting sick the beginning of this month even when taking the prescribed pills because I don't think the prescription was strong enough to catch up to the Morphine. The first 2 days I had no meds to help me and thought I was going to die, but now that I have the clonidine I feel much better. Before you start detox, do yourself a favor and get the meds to help you get thru it."

wagirl98665 (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): "I went to a detox facility for heroin a addiction. I never heard of clonidine being used to assist with withdrawal symptoms. It was a life saver I was actually able to be tolerate the suboxone taper with the clonidine I am no longer dependent on ANYTHING! I never thought it was possible"

Anonymous November 15, 2015

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was hooked on pain meds after a surgery. It managed my withdrawal symptoms while I detoxed. Almost didn't feel any of them. Very useful. Just must make sure your blood pressure is not too low."

Barzing November 9, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): "I was recently diagnosed with endocarditis a deadly heart and blood infection due to being an IV heroin user. I needed to be on IV antibiotics for 4 weeks but the fear of WDs kept me from staying in the hospital since the docs wanted me to go cold turkey. Finally thanks to the dedication of my PCP she was able to coordinate with a medical hospital to detox me and give me the IV therapy that I needed then put me on suboxone to continue treating my addiction. But in order to take the sub I had to be heroin free for at least 2 days. I was panicked about how bad the WDs would be. But the addictonologist I worked with prescribed the clonidine (a patch and up to 3 doses orally a day) and I have to say it was a godsend. It got me through it."

GretchenBehr October 22, 2015

"I got this clonidine for opiate withdrawal until I could get on buperenorphine. Although I didn't suffer the severe side effects that come with opiate withdrawal, I didn't feel upbeat either. I felt very dehydrated, exhausted, hard to stand up, dizzy, bad tastes in mouth (garlic), depressed...all the things you would expect from a lower blood pressure type med. I personally wish I would have went another route on this one. Won't take it again. Not good for me. I need real opiates/opiod meds for taper"

TDP yeah you know me October 8, 2015

"It gave me sleep and thats all that mattered but when I didn't have it is wasn't cool . Isn't it non narcotic?"

Robbiev October 4, 2015

"Clonidine has helped me so much since I was on moriphine 80mg 3 times a day (tad) and oxy 45mg 3 tad and methadone 10mg 3 tad. I was so scared not knowing what to expect and clonidine .3 2 tad worked so good I was surprised. Give it a chance"

Disabledvet1973 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next