User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Opiate Withdrawal

"I am blessed to have found this site! I have been addicted to percocets for 7 yrs....2 days ago I ran out of meds ( I was 2 wks short on my refill) that's how many I used a day and if that wasn't enough I bought off the street. Long story short ..theres no room available in my area for detox..ER Turned me away. Even my family doctor ....PM nurse and doc put me on Clonodine and I feel amazing. Only after 2 days!! No withdrawal symptoms maybe slight headache is all. Please. If you feel there is no way out of this narcotic hell there is help. Just ask for it! I am so happy there is a bright future for me NARCOTIC FREE!! Best of luck to all that suffer. It WILL GET BETTER."

Kmw4271999 January 17, 2016

"I am on a regular dose of Subutex and have been for 5 years. I had to have surgery and was put on Lortab 5 for pain and I took the 20 that was given to me over a 8 day period. After my last Lortab I started back taking my Subutex but found that it was not helping me. I found myself to be in withdrawal and I was not feeling well @ all. I was hurting all over, my nerves were bad and I was just beside myself. I called my Dr. who gives me Subutex and he sent me Clonidine and within an hour I felt so much better. This drug really helped me to overcome this difficult time in my life."

Terripey (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

"I am a Marine Corps veteran ..I served in Desert Storm and in Somalia .. I was victim of an IED but survived. 2 of my buddies didn't. My left foot took the most damage and I almost lost it. I kept refusing amputation even though I was being told I would never be able to walk on it. 11 months later I was walking with the aid of crutches.. Long story short I ended up addicted to opiates. I tried over and over to kick the addiction myself with no luck .. And believe me I tried...for 14 years I tried .. I finally broke down and asked for help ... My doc gave me clonidine for my RLS symptoms and it worked wonders ... And this is coming from a person taking 240mg of oxycontin then was switched to 120 mg of opana a day. It works people ask for help"

One foot Vet (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2016

"I started taking viks for migraine purposes & ended up taking 20 a day (1000's) for 4 years. Then addiction comes first in life. Then I decided to stop by taking suboxone 8mg per day - it's incredibly hard to get off it. I got addicted to it for a few yes then took methadone for about 2 months - curing opiates addiction with opiates not the best idea it didn't work for me . So now I'm taking clonidine .3 mg it was hell on earth for the first days . Shaking , burning of the body , hot & cold, RLS , and bad insomnia . After a couple of days it starts wearing down . Hanging in there !"

Fox 313 (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2015

"I started taking viks at 19 for my migraines about 20 day 1000's & I'm only about 100 pounds. I took them for about 4 years. It was getting worse & I wanted to stop so I was put on suboxone 8mg per day then I got addicted to that I couldn't stop taking them for about 3 years. So then I tried methadone first week went already up to 50mg. So I stopped taking everything and had the worst withdrawals imaginable , I was rushed to the hospital & they gave me a clonodine patch, now I'm supposed to start the .3mg which scares me bc it says it lowers blood pressure & mine is a bit low already. Has anyone had any issues ?"

Clara25 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015

"Been on opiates, benzos, alcohol and just about anything I could get my hands on. I'm going into detox very soon and Dr prescribed clonidine. Though not a magical cure all it does take the edge off. Worth a try for sure. Especially for first time detoxers. This is coming from a 25 year addict. At first they will just throw more narcotics at you in the form of benzos. But this is a great alternative. Stay strong."

Equal opportunity addict (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2015

"This med was a life saver!! I've been on pain meds since 2004. Taking 6-8 5mg ox and 60mg of morphine a day. I've had back surgery twice and I still have pain but scheduling your day around your meds and it controls you. This medication made the withdraw symptoms very manageable. I will say don't stop taking this medication without talking with your pcp. There are some slight withdraw symptoms with this medication."

JR E December 4, 2015

"I'm at the end of day 6 of my detox/withdrawal and without the clonidine I couldn't have done it. I have been on Opiates for a few years and the 120 pills the doctor prescribed every month were usually gone in two weeks, so I had to go buy from a friend, but the ones from him were Morphine. I started getting sick the beginning of this month even when taking the prescribed pills because I don't think the prescription was strong enough to catch up to the Morphine. The first 2 days I had no meds to help me and thought I was going to die, but now that I have the clonidine I feel much better. Before you start detox, do yourself a favor and get the meds to help you get thru it."

wagirl98665 (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): "I went to a detox facility for heroin a addiction. I never heard of clonidine being used to assist with withdrawal symptoms. It was a life saver I was actually able to be tolerate the suboxone taper with the clonidine I am no longer dependent on ANYTHING! I never thought it was possible"

Anonymous November 15, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was hooked on pain meds after a surgery. It managed my withdrawal symptoms while I detoxed. Almost didn't feel any of them. Very useful. Just must make sure your blood pressure is not too low."

Barzing November 9, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): "I was recently diagnosed with endocarditis a deadly heart and blood infection due to being an IV heroin user. I needed to be on IV antibiotics for 4 weeks but the fear of WDs kept me from staying in the hospital since the docs wanted me to go cold turkey. Finally thanks to the dedication of my PCP she was able to coordinate with a medical hospital to detox me and give me the IV therapy that I needed then put me on suboxone to continue treating my addiction. But in order to take the sub I had to be heroin free for at least 2 days. I was panicked about how bad the WDs would be. But the addictonologist I worked with prescribed the clonidine (a patch and up to 3 doses orally a day) and I have to say it was a godsend. It got me through it."

GretchenBehr October 22, 2015

"I got this clonidine for opiate withdrawal until I could get on buperenorphine. Although I didn't suffer the severe side effects that come with opiate withdrawal, I didn't feel upbeat either. I felt very dehydrated, exhausted, hard to stand up, dizzy, bad tastes in mouth (garlic), depressed...all the things you would expect from a lower blood pressure type med. I personally wish I would have went another route on this one. Won't take it again. Not good for me. I need real opiates/opiod meds for taper"

TDP yeah you know me October 8, 2015

"It gave me sleep and thats all that mattered but when I didn't have it is wasn't cool . Isn't it non narcotic?"

Robbiev October 4, 2015

"Clonidine has helped me so much since I was on moriphine 80mg 3 times a day (tad) and oxy 45mg 3 tad and methadone 10mg 3 tad. I was so scared not knowing what to expect and clonidine .3 2 tad worked so good I was surprised. Give it a chance"

Disabledvet1973 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2015

"I was on methadone for 35 years 80 milligrams and 0.03 catapress got me thru. My last drink of methadone was 9/17/14 and that was a year ago. I thank God and catapress...it is a year later and I do still take them....I so recommend them 100 percent!!!!!!!!!"

Patti fog (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2015

"Detoxed after narcotic pain mgmt for 20 years. Was given Subutex and phenobarbitol, etc. at Detox center, and while it was hell, no sleep AT ALL for 3 weeks, and muscle spasms from hell, came out clean. Get botox injections for occipital neuralgia every three months in neck. Pain still vile. 15 yrs ago had cervical fusion, at C5/6, all related to the 20 plus pain cycle, car accidents, bet you know what I mean. Again had Cervical fusion 10 months ago, now C4/5/6/7, still violent spasms. Was put on Dilatid for surgery, and after one month on it, tapered, but needed support to get off completely. Pain mgr. prescribed Clonidine. Worked like a charm."

Pauz September 2, 2015

"I had brain surgery in May, and was on Oxy for 4 months, at at least 40 mg a day. That may not seem like a lot for very long, but I had a history of being hooked on opiates and I knew it would get out of hand, so I went to pain management right away and asked how to taper properly and he gave me a schedule to follow and clondine bc I never want to go through withdrawal again. I took it yesterday and the craving feeling is gone. No anxiety, nothing. But...I am so tired. Flat on my back tired. I am hoping that it eases up, but I know it's a side effect of this med."

Vhhjfyiv September 2, 2015

"Was an Heroin junkie smoking on an average of 1.5-2g a day for almost two years. Was a Roxy junkie for five years before the heroin habit. I'm on my fourth day in heavy withdrawal. The kratom worked wonders the first three days but ran short due to needing a heavier dose to do the trick. So called my Dr today after reading everything available on clonidine and explained my situation. 40 min later I had my clonidine in hand. Up all night with my legs tripping out, headache, arms and upper back starting to get sore. Took one .3mg dose and 45-55min I was able to lay on bed without the RLS or achy upper body. I would recommend this medicine to anyone during the uncomfortable reactions when you are choosing to take your life back. Good luck."

NotMy1st (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Catapres (clonidine): "This made me so sick I had 10 of the side effects it didn't help at all worse meds ever. I taper off myself meds where worse then withdrawal."

Zombies August 19, 2015

"I was really bad on pretty much any pain medication I could find. I quickly had a tolerance so high I was running through 25 tens a day! I must say that subutex saved my life!! How ever even after being slowly weaned down off the drug I still had trouble getting totally back to normal. You won't detox like as bad as tens. The symptoms are very similar. The doctor gave me clonidine. I have to say it helped with most symptoms. Except restlessness/sleep and pretty intense lower back pain. For the back pain a heating pad for home and thermacare back wraps for work. It was more than do able. After 15 years battling this crap it's finally over just in time for my first child. Had to change my old friends but it's worth it. Keep your heads up."

I feel your pain July 26, 2015

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on opiates for 8 years. Started when I was 19. I am now 26. This is the first time I have been sober longer than 24 hrs and not just because my dealers were not available. Clonidine patch for 7 days worked wonders with 8 mg Suboxen. I continue to take the clonidine pill form daily. Withdrawal symptoms were all of none with these medications. I recommend if you are addicted to opiates you speak with your physician right away. This is the first time in 8 years I can honestly say I am thinking clearly. Good luck!"

CS89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

"I have been abusing opiates for the past two or so years, taking about 130mg of hydrocodone a day. Today I went to a medical doctor and told him what's going on. I was too scared to tell my doctor because I didn't want the information in my chart. I broke down and told him the reason I was there because withdrawals suck. For me, the restless legs at night, not able to sleep, fatigued during the day. Anyway, he prescribed Clonidine and Vistaril and signed me up for a Psych appt for Suboxone next week. I'm deathly afraid to come off. Tomorrow will be my first day trying this to see if I can before work Monday."

lostgirl77 June 26, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): "I been on norco everyday for 10 years, was on 10-12 pills per day for chronic pain. Without clonidine I would be hurting like hell. I went to detox at the hospital & left after 14 hours, they wanted me on Suboxone, which is good but its just another high to kick after, been there done that, I don't need a migraine headache as well. Suboxone causes headaches & Suboxone is hell to get off. Best bet is to stick with clonidine pills. 1st day 01mg x5 2nd day x4 3rd x3 4th x2 5th x1, your 6th day can be 1, or none, you decide. The only withdrawal symptoms I have from norco is minor diarrhea, minor pain in stomach, no eating for days, hard to get to sleep but its possible...and day 1 i had depression, but I'm over it now....LIFE SAVER"

HG420 June 6, 2015

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Hello! I am actually starting to feel like my old self again. :) I started taking hydrocodone 10/325 4x a day 4yrs ago 1st due to c-section then found it helped my back pain from bulging discs and found a pain Dr. Well same for me , the 4 was not enough. When I ended my horrible relationship with hydrocodone I was up to 10 pills a day. I started stealing from my boyfriend's pill bottle and then started buying off of the street! I'm a mom of 3 gorgeous children. I couldn't believe I got to this point!! It's all I ended up knowing. I couldn't function without it! It ALMOST ruined my life. Finally I decided enough was enough and went to the ER after withdrawing for 8 hrs. This was about 6 days ago . Patch saved me!!!!!!"

angeeemac May 29, 2015

"Hi. I was addicted to heroin for two years using about a gram a day. It ruined my life. It all started with the prescription pain narcotics. Then went to heroin because of price. People it's true. They will tell you pills lead to harder drugs. My whole family told me that and I always said I'd never do that. Well I did. I started by snorting heroin, then to injections. I lost all my stuff to pawn shops. Even robbed and stole. People if you are reading this as a current user please don't think you are stronger than others because the drug already controls you. Clonidine helped me great along with suboxone strips 8.m. People get suboxone for h withdrawal it will save you. I was prescribed clonidine and suboxone and didn't feel a thing."

Typage121890 May 21, 2015