User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Opiate Withdrawal

"Was an Heroin junkie smoking on an average of 1.5-2g a day for almost two years. Was a Roxy junkie for five years before the heroin habit. I'm on my fourth day in heavy withdrawal. The kratom worked wonders the first three days but ran short due to needing a heavier dose to do the trick. So called my Dr today after reading everything available on clonidine and explained my situation. 40 min later I had my clonidine in hand. Up all night with my legs tripping out, headache, arms and upper back starting to get sore. Took one .3mg dose and 45-55min I was able to lay on bed without the RLS or achy upper body. I would recommend this medicine to anyone during the uncomfortable reactions when you are choosing to take your life back. Good luck."

NotMy1st (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): "This made me so sick I had 10 of the side effects it didn't help at all worse meds ever. I taper off myself meds where worse then withdrawal."

Zombies August 19, 2015

"I was really bad on pretty much any pain medication I could find. I quickly had a tolerance so high I was running through 25 tens a day! I must say that subutex saved my life!! How ever even after being slowly weaned down off the drug I still had trouble getting totally back to normal. You won't detox like as bad as tens. The symptoms are very similar. The doctor gave me clonidine. I have to say it helped with most symptoms. Except restlessness/sleep and pretty intense lower back pain. For the back pain a heating pad for home and thermacare back wraps for work. It was more than do able. After 15 years battling this crap it's finally over just in time for my first child. Had to change my old friends but it's worth it. Keep your heads up."

I feel your pain July 26, 2015

"I was on opiates for 8 years. Started when I was 19. I am now 26. This is the first time I have been sober longer than 24 hrs and not just because my dealers were not available. Clonidine patch for 7 days worked wonders with 8 mg Suboxen. I continue to take the clonidine pill form daily. Withdrawal symptoms were all of none with these medications. I recommend if you are addicted to opiates you speak with your physician right away. This is the first time in 8 years I can honestly say I am thinking clearly. Good luck!"

CS89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

"I have been abusing opiates for the past two or so years, taking about 130mg of hydrocodone a day. Today I went to a medical doctor and told him what's going on. I was too scared to tell my doctor because I didn't want the information in my chart. I broke down and told him the reason I was there because withdrawals suck. For me, the restless legs at night, not able to sleep, fatigued during the day. Anyway, he prescribed Clonidine and Vistaril and signed me up for a Psych appt for Suboxone next week. I'm deathly afraid to come off. Tomorrow will be my first day trying this to see if I can before work Monday."

lostgirl77 June 26, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): "I been on norco everyday for 10 years, was on 10-12 pills per day for chronic pain. Without clonidine I would be hurting like hell. I went to detox at the hospital & left after 14 hours, they wanted me on Suboxone, which is good but its just another high to kick after, been there done that, I don't need a migraine headache as well. Suboxone causes headaches & Suboxone is hell to get off. Best bet is to stick with clonidine pills. 1st day 01mg x5 2nd day x4 3rd x3 4th x2 5th x1, your 6th day can be 1, or none, you decide. The only withdrawal symptoms I have from norco is minor diarrhea, minor pain in stomach, no eating for days, hard to get to sleep but its possible...and day 1 i had depression, but I'm over it now....LIFE SAVER"

HG420 June 6, 2015

"Hello! I am actually starting to feel like my old self again. :) I started taking hydrocodone 10/325 4x a day 4yrs ago 1st due to c-section then found it helped my back pain from bulging discs and found a pain Dr. Well same for me , the 4 was not enough. When I ended my horrible relationship with hydrocodone I was up to 10 pills a day. I started stealing from my boyfriend's pill bottle and then started buying off of the street! I'm a mom of 3 gorgeous children. I couldn't believe I got to this point!! It's all I ended up knowing. I couldn't function without it! It ALMOST ruined my life. Finally I decided enough was enough and went to the ER after withdrawing for 8 hrs. This was about 6 days ago . Patch saved me!!!!!!"

angeeemac May 29, 2015

"Hi. I was addicted to heroin for two years using about a gram a day. It ruined my life. It all started with the prescription pain narcotics. Then went to heroin because of price. People it's true. They will tell you pills lead to harder drugs. My whole family told me that and I always said I'd never do that. Well I did. I started by snorting heroin, then to injections. I lost all my stuff to pawn shops. Even robbed and stole. People if you are reading this as a current user please don't think you are stronger than others because the drug already controls you. Clonidine helped me great along with suboxone strips 8.m. People get suboxone for h withdrawal it will save you. I was prescribed clonidine and suboxone and didn't feel a thing."

Typage121890 May 21, 2015

"As a mom of 5 I put my life into my kids. Never have experienced addiction, no smoking, no drinking...I started taking hydrcodone 10mg for a herniated disc. After a while my tolerance grew so I started taking more than prescribed, buying more from friends of friends. What a LOW for a mom, right? Clonidine, 0.5mg, has saved me. It was so hard to go and admit to my doctor (who delivered my kids) that I was doing this. It was so worth the embarrassment. Withdrawal symptoms are I would say 80% gone with clonidine. I feel like if I can do it, anyone can. You're not alone!!!! Stay strong!!!"

thewomaninthemirror (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2015

"On day 2 with the patch coming off heroin. I went to the ER told them why I was there. They got me this patch. They say it lasts seven days. I have no energy but withdrawal symptoms are definitely not as bad..."

patricia colorado May 2, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): "Clonidine is wonderful for me. I've been using heroin, 1.5 g's a day for several years. The clonidine combined with my lorazepam made the withdrawal sickness almost non existent. Best part is: you can actually get some sleep. Stay strong."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015

"This medication saved my life physically & spiritually. After 10 years being prescribed a synthetic opioid that was presented to me as safe & non-addicting, I lost everything, my job, my health, my family & my will to live. If you are coming off an opioid addiction, please don't do it cold turkey. Ask your health care provider if this medication is right for you. Also, it is relatively cheap even without insurance ( I only have to take one a day. I'm now happier & healthier than I've ever been & I'm 52, walk 4 miles a day. The best thing is, I have no desire to take another narcotic ever again. I hope this helps you!"

dead man walking (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2015

"On day 4 of cold turkey oxycodone. This drug saved me in every way. Can't recommend it enough. Makes it tolerable....I hate opiate withdrawals and Clonidine was also a godsend for me. Almost through the worst and I feel like life is re-entering my body again. Good luck to anyone, it can be done!!"

A Brother (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Clonidine saved me too , been on opiates for 3 years back problems. Clonidine was great!"

clonolife April 10, 2015

"On Oxycontin for 10 years and seen it ruin so many life's 2 back surgery 3 rotator cuff surgery 1 knee replacement pain is bad but addiction is worse. Clonidine is a miracle I needed."

nurse lives (taken for 10 years or more) April 4, 2015

"Clonidine works well when you are suffering from opiate withdrawal. It has helped several people that I know as well as myself. A life saver for this purpose. It doesn't take away all symptoms but it does relax the muscles and helps greatly with the hot/cold sweats. I definitely recommend this medication for this purpose."

DWhitz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2015

"I was an addict, I've been on methadone for 12 years and am slowly coming down, my Dr. Gives me clonidine for my sweating the trouble is if I take them all before my next refill I have to suffer through some serious withdrawals, clonidine is good for sweating but is damm hard on you if you stop cold turkey, it's not the "God send" like people say (at least not for me) but it does help, I am not going to refill my script though because I don't want to go through this again. (I've already got the methadone to worry about I don't need to detox from this crap too, I'll deal with the sweats without clonidine.... So be careful with this stuff. (I take 3-4 .2's a day- the Orange ones)"

Petee1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2015

"I was placed on 90mg Methodone by a pain clinic doctor daily along with 10mg of a muscle relaxant 4 times a day. Last April I had had enough of all the additional side effects so I begin weaning myself off by 10mg about every 5-6 weeks. Going from 30mg to 20mg was terrible. New pain doctor ordered clonidine. Last Friday I stopped all Methadone and withdrawal symptoms are very intense this time even with clonidine. Any suggestions of how long these horrific side effects will last? Unable to rest every muscle hurts and intense jerking of lower limbs."

pinkroses (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2015

"I was addicted to 30mg Roxicodone taking about 8 a day. Also would take whatever I could get my hands on with it (Xanax, Ambien, whatever to mess me up)I tapered down significantly on methadone and am on day 4 of detoxing from the methadone. Clonidine was very helpful for me because I had severe anxiety and withdrawals from the methadone (Not as bad as withdrawals straight from opiates, but last much longer) I had a lot of trouble With panic attacks extreme anxiety and absolutely nothing to give me any sort of comfort which mainly came from servere back pain that would affect my entire body. Clonidine helped me so much with being able to calm myself down and taking away some of the symptoms. Am still not completely better, but so happy for freedom!"

Saving my life! February 2, 2015

"I went on treatment for opiate addiction in December of last year. While there, I was encouraged by many other opiate addicts to begin a long term Suboxone treatment plan, as I had been an active user for almost ten years. After two weeks of being on Suboxone, I knew it wasn't right for me. So the nursing staff and I came up with a plan of action! Clonidine has been an absolute God send for me. Not only does it help tremendously for withdrawal symptoms, but it has also been incredible in combating my cravings and anxiety since getting out of treatment. Since it is a blood pressure medication, it can have some downfalls. Dizziness and drowsiness. I take 1 mg, twice daily. If I eat, drink water and stay active I'm fine!"

Beccalew January 20, 2015

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am on day 2 of clonidine and so far so good. It has been a God send. It hasnt fixed everything. I still find myself slightly fatigued and getting headaches if I do too much too fast. Having some lightheadedness and slight dry mouth. But overall I finally feel I can beat this demon we call addiction. I have an appointment to get the Vivitrol shot next week and for the first time in years the future looks bright."

abetterme (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been a regular heroin (quarter g/day) and Fentanyl (usage unknown due to illicit fake 80mg oxycodone pills hard to say how much was in them but usually 2 pills/day) user for past year and before that a fairly heavy user of oxycodone (approx. 160mg/day). Have been a functioning addict the whole time but recently have started to really feel trapped in this addiction. Anyways did some research on the best way to detox at home (going to an inpatient facility isn't an option) and found that clonidine was very highly recommended so went to my Private Physician told him my situation being honest with my current addiction intake and he prescribed me 100 x 0.1mg clonidine and 50 x 1mg Ativan (lorazepam). This combination worked wonders, took away 96% bad symptoms."

itzmeenotyou (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2015

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on opiate pain killers for 6 mos following a shoulder surgery--which is still painful and may require additional surgeries to correct. I got tired of taking Oxycontin 3x per day, or get chills, etc. Tried clonidine and it is as close to a miracle as you can get when withdrawing from opiates. No chills, not fever, no vomiting, I just take Imodium 2 tablets for the GI stuff--and it is a walk in the park over trying to taper then go off completely (which I did when I had my other shoulder done). I took 100mcg-150mcg 3x a day. Don't take for more than two weeks to be safe, and not become dependent on the clonidine, which has it's own withdrawal issues."

Shpongle (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2015

"Was really addicted to Norco and MS Contin for a lower back issue. L3, 4, 5, and S1 Spinal Stenosis and 5 injections later, my back no longer hurt bad enough to be on fairly heavy narcotic pain medication. I tried to cold turkey the 60mg Norco and MS Contin diet and made it a whopping 2 1/2 days before I had to go to doctor. He then put me on 16mgs of Suboxone, which he touted as being "MUCH EASIER" to withdraw off. Uhhh, YEAH RIGHT! Well, 2 yrs later I'm finally finished with Suboxone. I wish I could meet whoever the chemist was that created Clonidine. WHAT A LIFESAVER! I will say that Clonidine took away about 85% percent of my withdrawal symptoms and made it fairly easy to come off Suboxone. THANK THE LORD FOR CLONIDINE!"

Dough Boy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on opiates for a few years. I finally decided the only way to be free was to confess to my family and seek help. I had tried many times to quit but the withdrawals were too much for me. I told my doctor what was going on and she gave me clonidine. It took away all the symptoms, it took me a few nights to sleep because of restless legs syndrome, but it was a miracle for me. Also very inexpensive!"

FreedbyTruth November 21, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next