User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Opiate Withdrawal

Review by MintyNuts (taken for less than 1 month):

Been on 0.1mg three times a day for 10 days now and it has made a HUGE difference in my detox from heroin, oxycodone, and hydromorphone. Almost completely eliminated the agitation and restlessness which has always been my personal least favourite symptom of opiate withdrawal. I highly recommend anyone suffering from an addiction akin to mine to talk to a doctor about getting on it, I finally let my family doctor know about my 3 years of on and off use of various opiates and it was his first suggestion. I am also on propranolol and amitryptiline which I started at the same time as the clonidine. The only downsides I have experienced are a certain degree of daytime drowsiness and blood pressure drops upon standing up after lying down.

November 6, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by Hamas frog worth it all:

I like clondine I've been on herion for 7 years and clondine is a miracle but I take nausea meds with it an a vitamin and a benzodiazepine and I believe it really works for me. The only down fall is dry mouth and light headed but if that's the only two complaints I have verses the vomiting and all the other bad side effects from herion I would say it's 100% wonderful for me and I enjoy keeping my money and not paying dealers bills and supporting there families while my suffers. I don't have any babies but there are things I have put off in my life that now I can take care of.

October 5, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Montresor (taken for less than 1 month):

Reading some of the other reviews, some people rate this as a 7 or 8 because it doesn't take away all their withdrawals or restless legs syndrome, etc. Well, we all must have the realization that we must pay the Piper someday. Mine was 2 days ago. After at least months and possibly years, I was taking norco/hydrocodone and kept it somewhat in check at about 60mg a day. One major reason I kept taking Norco was because of my newly found Restless Leg Syndrome that I knew was from pain medicines. I must tell you, it feels like my fears are gone. You can't have your cake and eat it too, but this is damn close for getting rid of a lot of withdrawal symptoms. Not sure if I recommend taking during the day though as I quite sleepy.

October 2, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by Jules0411 (taken for less than 1 month):

Catapres (clonidine): I'm tapering down from 100-200mg of hydrocodone per day to 20mg per day. Also, quit 20mg of Dilaudid per day. The first couple of days were hell. I finally called my doctor and told him what was going on. He prescribed me the Clonidine patch. It has helped me tremendously! The only side effect I have had is a little dizziness when I get up too fast. But I feel great and am on day 4 and down to 20mg of hydros and still feel good! Like I never started them. By the way, I have been on them for 4 years through pain management for severe diabetic neuropathy. I highly recommend this product.

October 2, 2014 1:27 PM

Review by Randooo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My story, is a five year long battle with two failed back fusions, starting back in 2009. With my first surgery, as anyone knows that has had a L5 s1 fusion with a bone graft taken from your hip, it is painful! So as you can imagine, you are taking pain meds! So here I am 5 years later 2014, and 2 fusion that didn't take, and hoping my third has! 4 months ago, my daily meds intake was 15 10mg oxycodone, 4 30mg Oxycontin, 4 x 5mg oxymorphone! My tolerance was very high! Finally decide, enough was enough, so I went to a detox facility in Seattle, and was put on Suboxone. What a difference, I felt so much better! Four months later, I tapered of the Suboxone, started on Clonidine. Made me tired, dead legs, but kept withdrawals away! I'M A NEW MAN!

September 26, 2014 9:29 AM

Review by OpiateFreeFinally (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication is a God send! I was addicted to pain pills, any kind I could get my hands on. This eventually progressed to a heroin habit that lasted for 15 months. I tried many times to stop on my own, but the withdrawal symptoms are pure hell! I was given a 7 day supply after visiting an ER one night...OMG, it helped and almost stopped every symptom completely! When my 7 days ran out my family doctor gave me more. My biggest issue was the restless legs, and just restless everything that kept me from sleeping. Clonidine takes it totally away for me & I get very peaceful rest. I can finally see myself getting back to the person I used to be, thanks to this medicine! I highly recommended you at least give it a try.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 2:07 AM

Review by Gary1121:

I have been on opiates for 8 years due to back problems, my wife is also on a different dose and on oxycodine I was on hydrocodine, never the less, I started getting off of these pills on Saturday, August 2,2014, today is Wednesday the 6th of Aug, I haven't had any pain pills since Saturday morning, then today I didn't take the clonidine for 18 hours instead of the 12 hours recommended by the doctor, I must say this little pill worked wanders, over the last 8 years I have run out of course every one done does, I don't care who you are what life you live, after the first 2 years my wife and I would split our pills, now I have had enough taking off work because I didn't have one of those pills. The clonidine pill is a miracle

August 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Review by MickiRivera (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took this in rehab, after I got there I started withdrawing. They gave me Clonidine. It worked there. Turns out the lovely nurse gave my local pharmacy a prescription to some more. I just found out yesterday and I got it. I have been using in the past month. It would be 1 every 3 days I would use. But when I didn't use these pains would start in my lower back Bad. Now I just gotta see if it works this time. This saved my life.

June 25, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Floyd Anderson (taken for less than 1 month):

Gave me dry mouth. Made me lightheaded and groggy. Made urination frequent and painful. Made me feel like I would pass out when rising from sitting or lying down. Left me dehydrated.

April 15, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by Persona (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Clonidine can be a life saver for people going through withdrawal from opiates. I used it, a taper and finally a benzo (Valium) to end my 2 year opiate addiction with little to no problems. Trouble with clonidine is, if you are in it for too long it becomes hard to get off. It can make your methadone or opiate withdrawal look like a walk in the park as I found out. DO NOT TAKE CLONIDINE FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS. Withdrawal from it is bad and cold turkey off clonidine can be deadly if you have any underlining medical problems (high blood pressure, anxiety, panic attacks, blood clots).

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Helps with chills, that crawling out of your skin feeling and anxiety when in opiate withdrawal. Knocked out about 75% of symptoms. I've always seemed to be extra sensitive in withdrawal when it comes to those goosebumps chills etc. So I'm lucky that I had an awesome doc at the ER today who understood what I'm going through. Took clonidine 2hrs ago and feel so much better already. I thought I was going to die. Detoxed down to 5mgs of methadone from 70. Last methadone dose was 4 days ago. Still feel like crap. Just not as bad after taking clonidine. Praying I actually get some sleep tonight though.

April 3, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by cambull (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres (clonidine): After having Catapres given to me at a detox I cannot imagine detoxing without it. Whether detoxing cold turkey or through tapering I would recommend Catapres for anyone who's going through opiate withdrawal.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by MikeM23:

Was prescribed Clonidine for withdrawal from Percocet. Honestly, it is a good medicine. I see people giving it a 10, and I wouldn't go that far. It's not a miracle. I've also used Suboxone before for detox, and in my opinion it works much better. This medicine will help take the edge off of those withdrawal symptoms, but if you have a serious problem you may want to consider inpatient.

February 11, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by nybabie (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on morphine sulfate for over a year, extended and immediate release. Just moved to a new state and had a hard time finding a new doctor that would prescribe this medicine to me. The new doctor gave me an NSAID and Clonidine patch to help with the withdrawal. The patch is working wonders but unfortunately I'm still in excruciating pain from my condition. Trying really hard not to fall back on pain pills again. At least I'm not dealing with withdrawal on top of the pain though.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2013 8:04 PM

Pretty much minimized side effects of withdrawal/rapid tapering from Percocet/Oxycodone. I'd forgotten to call in a prescription renewal before and went through a weekend of hell. Clonidine cut back sweats, chills, body aches, restless legs - everything from withdrawal by a good 90%. Still some rough spots I went through, but I could function. Two bad side effects for me from Clonidine - cotton dry mouth, drowsiness like a fog. Better than alternative of nothing!

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2013 1:46 PM

Review by bella r:

Significantly helped lower my blood pressure and get me through withdrawal from prescribed narcotic medicine following surgery... It was only $4 for a month's supply without insurance. A complete lifesaver.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2013 5:42 PM

Review by Pinkylee (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 32... Have been addicted to everything sense I was 15... Opiates and herion being the last... It almost flushed my college degrees and all my hard work down a dirty toilet! So I decided enough is enough!!! I love myself more than this! So I signed up for live in detox for a week .. Was prescribed clonidine ... Started taking it ASAP... I was out of detox in 3 days and haven't looked back... I didn't get sick clonidine saved me from what I have felt to be ne'er death feeling of opiate and heroin withdrawals.. That and my clonazepam... Saved me ...

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2013 4:03 PM

Review by Chom:

On day 2 of the clonidine patch haven't had a pill in 16 hours and going strong. So far this has been a godsend no rls usually I get 6 hours after my last dose of perc. I feel groggy but am eating and lightly sleeping and no cravings. Note I was taking 140mg of perc daily for two years did a quick 7 day taper to yesterday I went insane all week then my pm dr gave me the patch and it is like night an day

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2013 4:07 PM

Review by Maxismynicknameifitworks:

So I have been on a lot of opiate meds over 12 years. First Vicodin then so on up to oxymorph, oxycodone highest doses were not affecting me at all. Taking well over 140mg daily to sustain. I like to have this info as a reader so you can understand tolerance and possible withdrawal (even though it varies). Clonidine has seemingly done wonders. It took away my panic. I am coming up on day 3 now kicks started 16 or so hours ago sweating etc started 8 hours in and it is helping me stay strong. You're going to detox, and there will be hard times but there is also amazing happiness when you can experience all the sensations of life again. Stay strong keep moving on.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2013 2:04 AM

Review by Addictedtoolong (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been hooked on narcotic pain killers for 30 years. It got so bad this last year I thought it would kill me, 100mg MS Contin slow release at the rate of 10 to 15 a day. Then I tried to stop, and oh my God. Clondine transdermal literally saved my life. I put the patch on, viola! Night and day difference. Whew!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by Rapid subo detox:

I had withdrawals before...I had no idea this medicine existed! My new Dr. Who happens to be my PC prescribed this to me when I had been gradually dosing down for about a year from Suboxone. It doesn't stop all withdrawal symptoms but no sweats, hot/cold flashes, helps psychologically and is safe to use with anxiety meds, Xanax/Valium etc. I'm headed in to day 3 and had a little trouble sleeping through the night - but I did get sleep and am able to go about my mandatory daily tasks without crawling out of my skin and suffering from "the ick" for the most part. I'm psyched to reach the end of the tunnel - I have been pretty hard on myself during this experience. I 100% recommend asking your doctor for it! Good luck out there.

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2013 2:45 PM

Review by Kicked a 6 year habit (taken for less than 1 month):

Catapres (clonidine): Clonidine made all the difference in the world in my recovery. It helped with my restless leg, cravings, sweating. I took it with Valium. It makes you feel like you're walking through mud but it beats the alternative!! It's very inexpensive. It was a life saver for me.

May 24, 2013 1:27 PM

Review by Boobae (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres (clonidine): It was great

February 27, 2013 1:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Catapres (clonidine): It works, but makes you really tired

January 29, 2013 3:17 PM

Review by rdf1122:

I have been addicted to opiates for over 10 yrs. and I have been through many horrible withdrawals. After getting my habit over $150 per day I had had enough. I decided to get on Suboxone. I was prescribed 8mgs per day and this went on for over a year when my doc suddenly shut his practice down. I decided this is the time for me to get off. Well I found myself in the ER and the doc prescribed .1 mg clonidine. It was a GODSEND! It helped so much with the chills, sweats, crying, etc. It does make you very drowsy but it makes the detox tolerable. I was able to sleep and eat during the detox while on Clonidine. I used Xanax at night also to help with sleep. Clonidine helps big time!

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2013 1:19 PM