User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Opiate Withdrawal

Review by OpiateFreeFinally (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication is a God send! I was addicted to pain pills, any kind I could get my hands on. This eventually progressed to a heroin habit that lasted for 15 months. I tried many times to stop on my own, but the withdrawal symptoms are pure hell! I was given a 7 day supply after visiting an ER one night...OMG, it helped and almost stopped every symptom completely! When my 7 days ran out my family doctor gave me more. My biggest issue was the restless legs, and just restless everything that kept me from sleeping. Clonidine takes it totally away for me & I get very peaceful rest. I can finally see myself getting back to the person I used to be, thanks to this medicine! I highly recommended you at least give it a try.

August 14, 2014 2:07 AM

Review by Gary1121:

I have been on opiates for 8 years due to back problems, my wife is also on a different dose and on oxycodine I was on hydrocodine, never the less, I started getting off of these pills on Saturday, August 2,2014, today is Wednesday the 6th of Aug, I haven't had any pain pills since Saturday morning, then today I didn't take the clonidine for 18 hours instead of the 12 hours recommended by the doctor, I must say this little pill worked wanders, over the last 8 years I have run out of course every one done does, I don't care who you are what life you live, after the first 2 years my wife and I would split our pills, now I have had enough taking off work because I didn't have one of those pills. The clonidine pill is a miracle

August 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Review by MickiRivera (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took this in rehab, after I got there I started withdrawing. They gave me Clonidine. It worked there. Turns out the lovely nurse gave my local pharmacy a prescription to some more. I just found out yesterday and I got it. I have been using in the past month. It would be 1 every 3 days I would use. But when I didn't use these pains would start in my lower back Bad. Now I just gotta see if it works this time. This saved my life.

June 25, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Floyd Anderson (taken for less than 1 month):

Gave me dry mouth. Made me lightheaded and groggy. Made urination frequent and painful. Made me feel like I would pass out when rising from sitting or lying down. Left me dehydrated.

April 15, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by Persona (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Clonidine can be a life saver for people going through withdrawal from opiates. I used it, a taper and finally a benzo (Valium) to end my 2 year opiate addiction with little to no problems. Trouble with clonidine is, if you are in it for too long it becomes hard to get off. It can make your methadone or opiate withdrawal look like a walk in the park as I found out. DO NOT TAKE CLONIDINE FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS. Withdrawal from it is bad and cold turkey off clonidine can be deadly if you have any underlining medical problems (high blood pressure, anxiety, panic attacks, blood clots).

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Helps with chills, that crawling out of your skin feeling and anxiety when in opiate withdrawal. Knocked out about 75% of symptoms. I've always seemed to be extra sensitive in withdrawal when it comes to those goosebumps chills etc. So I'm lucky that I had an awesome doc at the ER today who understood what I'm going through. Took clonidine 2hrs ago and feel so much better already. I thought I was going to die. Detoxed down to 5mgs of methadone from 70. Last methadone dose was 4 days ago. Still feel like crap. Just not as bad after taking clonidine. Praying I actually get some sleep tonight though.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by cambull (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres (clonidine): After having Catapres given to me at a detox I cannot imagine detoxing without it. Whether detoxing cold turkey or through tapering I would recommend Catapres for anyone who's going through opiate withdrawal.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by MikeM23:

Was prescribed Clonidine for withdrawal from Percocet. Honestly, it is a good medicine. I see people giving it a 10, and I wouldn't go that far. It's not a miracle. I've also used Suboxone before for detox, and in my opinion it works much better. This medicine will help take the edge off of those withdrawal symptoms, but if you have a serious problem you may want to consider inpatient.

February 11, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by nybabie (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on morphine sulfate for over a year, extended and immediate release. Just moved to a new state and had a hard time finding a new doctor that would prescribe this medicine to me. The new doctor gave me an NSAID and Clonidine patch to help with the withdrawal. The patch is working wonders but unfortunately I'm still in excruciating pain from my condition. Trying really hard not to fall back on pain pills again. At least I'm not dealing with withdrawal on top of the pain though.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2013 8:04 PM

Pretty much minimized side effects of withdrawal/rapid tapering from Percocet/Oxycodone. I'd forgotten to call in a prescription renewal before and went through a weekend of hell. Clonidine cut back sweats, chills, body aches, restless legs - everything from withdrawal by a good 90%. Still some rough spots I went through, but I could function. Two bad side effects for me from Clonidine - cotton dry mouth, drowsiness like a fog. Better than alternative of nothing!

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2013 1:46 PM

Review by bella r:

Significantly helped lower my blood pressure and get me through withdrawal from prescribed narcotic medicine following surgery... It was only $4 for a month's supply without insurance. A complete lifesaver.

November 12, 2013 5:42 PM

Review by Pinkylee (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 32... Have been addicted to everything sense I was 15... Opiates and herion being the last... It almost flushed my college degrees and all my hard work down a dirty toilet! So I decided enough is enough!!! I love myself more than this! So I signed up for live in detox for a week .. Was prescribed clonidine ... Started taking it ASAP... I was out of detox in 3 days and haven't looked back... I didn't get sick clonidine saved me from what I have felt to be ne'er death feeling of opiate and heroin withdrawals.. That and my clonazepam... Saved me ...

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2013 4:03 PM

Review by Chom:

On day 2 of the clonidine patch haven't had a pill in 16 hours and going strong. So far this has been a godsend no rls usually I get 6 hours after my last dose of perc. I feel groggy but am eating and lightly sleeping and no cravings. Note I was taking 140mg of perc daily for two years did a quick 7 day taper to yesterday I went insane all week then my pm dr gave me the patch and it is like night an day

November 2, 2013 4:07 PM

Review by Maxismynicknameifitworks:

So I have been on a lot of opiate meds over 12 years. First Vicodin then so on up to oxymorph, oxycodone highest doses were not affecting me at all. Taking well over 140mg daily to sustain. I like to have this info as a reader so you can understand tolerance and possible withdrawal (even though it varies). Clonidine has seemingly done wonders. It took away my panic. I am coming up on day 3 now kicks started 16 or so hours ago sweating etc started 8 hours in and it is helping me stay strong. You're going to detox, and there will be hard times but there is also amazing happiness when you can experience all the sensations of life again. Stay strong keep moving on.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2013 2:04 AM

Review by Addictedtoolong (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been hooked on narcotic pain killers for 30 years. It got so bad this last year I thought it would kill me, 100mg MS Contin slow release at the rate of 10 to 15 a day. Then I tried to stop, and oh my God. Clondine transdermal literally saved my life. I put the patch on, viola! Night and day difference. Whew!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by Rapid subo detox:

I had withdrawals before...I had no idea this medicine existed! My new Dr. Who happens to be my PC prescribed this to me when I had been gradually dosing down for about a year from Suboxone. It doesn't stop all withdrawal symptoms but no sweats, hot/cold flashes, helps psychologically and is safe to use with anxiety meds, Xanax/Valium etc. I'm headed in to day 3 and had a little trouble sleeping through the night - but I did get sleep and am able to go about my mandatory daily tasks without crawling out of my skin and suffering from "the ick" for the most part. I'm psyched to reach the end of the tunnel - I have been pretty hard on myself during this experience. I 100% recommend asking your doctor for it! Good luck out there.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2013 2:45 PM

Review by Kicked a 6 year habit (taken for less than 1 month):

Catapres (clonidine): Clonidine made all the difference in the world in my recovery. It helped with my restless leg, cravings, sweating. I took it with Valium. It makes you feel like you're walking through mud but it beats the alternative!! It's very inexpensive. It was a life saver for me.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2013 1:27 PM

Review by Boobae (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Catapres (clonidine): It was great

February 27, 2013 1:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Catapres (clonidine): It works, but makes you really tired

January 29, 2013 3:17 PM

Review by rdf1122:

I have been addicted to opiates for over 10 yrs. and I have been through many horrible withdrawals. After getting my habit over $150 per day I had had enough. I decided to get on Suboxone. I was prescribed 8mgs per day and this went on for over a year when my doc suddenly shut his practice down. I decided this is the time for me to get off. Well I found myself in the ER and the doc prescribed .1 mg clonidine. It was a GODSEND! It helped so much with the chills, sweats, crying, etc. It does make you very drowsy but it makes the detox tolerable. I was able to sleep and eat during the detox while on Clonidine. I used Xanax at night also to help with sleep. Clonidine helps big time!

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2013 1:19 PM

Review by 604bc (taken for less than 1 month):

I tried to quit opiates on my own and I couldn't do it. I was so dependent on them I would vomit, sweat, light headed, aching bones...just miserable if I didn't have opiates in my system. I went into a detox program, and opted out of doing either a methadone or Suboxone quick taper program. I instead went on the 'opiate protocol" which was clonidine and Syraquil. I was amazed how effective it was. I went through none of the nasty initial withdrawal symptoms. After 5 days I started feeling secondary withdrawal symptoms (nausea, irritable, bad insomnia, sweating, night chills, shakes, aches).

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2012 10:15 AM

Review by NoMoreOpiates (taken for less than 1 month):

Catapres (clonidine): Works very well, it will make me very sleepy and takes away restless legs syndrome, sweats, and nausea. After stopping any opiate and before taking Suboxone, you need to go through withdrawal before the Suboxone will work and taking clonidine will ease the withdrawal symptoms. It will not take them away completely but it will make it a million times easier than without anything. When trying to get off Suboxone, taking clonidine in between doses of Suboxone will really really help. Tapering off Suboxone takes a long time and needs to be taken very slowly or withdrawals will last for weeks. There are several other medications that will help inconjunction with clonidine, just ask your doctor.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2012 3:06 AM

Review by tocha23 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on hydrocodone for about 7 years and when my doctor took me off it I went through terrible withdrawals so I went to the ER and the doctor prescribed clonidine and I tell you this it is heaven sent. I don't feel the withdrawals.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2012 7:01 PM

Catapres (clonidine): This patch helped me so so much with opiate withdrawal. I used the patch for 8 weeks and discontinued my Ultram. I experienced zero withdrawal. I highly recommend using this patch to get yourself off the opiates.

December 25, 2011 4:16 PM

Review by No Monkey:

Catapres (clonidine): Clonidine is definitely a wonder for opiate withdrawal. I asked to be detoxed in hospital after over a year of pain management got the best of me...they aren't kidding when they say opiates are addictive. After 2 days of sleeping through cold turkey (for the most part) I was able to eat and act normal, with no physical cravings. They administered a combination of clonidine, Serax, Soma, Ativan and gabapentin, so I can't say which worked better initially. The clonidine seems to lessen the worst physical effects. It lowered my blood pressure a lot, so only 0.5mg dose was allowed at a time, maybe more would work better for someone else with higher pressure. Detox with a doctor's help, they've got lots of options.

December 1, 2011 4:55 AM