Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Opiate Withdrawal

Review by dead man walking (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This medication saved my life physically & spiritually. After 10 years being prescribed a synthetic opioid that was presented to me as safe & non-addicting, I lost everything, my job, my health, my family & my will to live. If you are coming off an opioid addiction, please don't do it cold turkey. Ask your health care provider if this medication is right for you. Also, it is relatively cheap even without insurance ( I only have to take one a day. I'm now happier & healthier than I've ever been & I'm 52, walk 4 miles a day. The best thing is, I have no desire to take another narcotic ever again. I hope this helps you!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 3:10 PM

Review by A Brother (taken for less than 1 month):

On day 4 of cold turkey oxycodone. This drug saved me in every way. Can't recommend it enough. Makes it tolerable....I hate opiate withdrawals and Clonidine was also a godsend for me. Almost through the worst and I feel like life is re-entering my body again. Good luck to anyone, it can be done!!

April 13, 2015 6:39 PM

Review by clonolife:

Clonidine saved me too , been on opiates for 3 years back problems. Clonidine was great!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 8:35 AM

Review by nurse lives (taken for 10 years or more):

On Oxycontin for 10 years and seen it ruin so many life's 2 back surgery 3 rotator cuff surgery 1 knee replacement pain is bad but addiction is worse. Clonidine is a miracle I needed.

April 4, 2015 6:45 AM

Review by DWhitz (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Clonidine works well when you are suffering from opiate withdrawal. It has helped several people that I know as well as myself. A life saver for this purpose. It doesn't take away all symptoms but it does relax the muscles and helps greatly with the hot/cold sweats. I definitely recommend this medication for this purpose.

March 7, 2015 7:09 PM

Review by Petee1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was an addict, I've been on methadone for 12 years and am slowly coming down, my Dr. Gives me clonidine for my sweating the trouble is if I take them all before my next refill I have to suffer through some serious withdrawals, clonidine is good for sweating but is damm hard on you if you stop cold turkey, it's not the "God send" like people say (at least not for me) but it does help, I am not going to refill my script though because I don't want to go through this again. (I've already got the methadone to worry about I don't need to detox from this crap too, I'll deal with the sweats without clonidine.... So be careful with this stuff. (I take 3-4 .2's a day- the Orange ones)

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 12:39 AM

Review by pinkroses (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was placed on 90mg Methodone by a pain clinic doctor daily along with 10mg of a muscle relaxant 4 times a day. Last April I had had enough of all the additional side effects so I begin weaning myself off by 10mg about every 5-6 weeks. Going from 30mg to 20mg was terrible. New pain doctor ordered clonidine. Last Friday I stopped all Methadone and withdrawal symptoms are very intense this time even with clonidine. Any suggestions of how long these horrific side effects will last? Unable to rest every muscle hurts and intense jerking of lower limbs.

February 9, 2015 2:05 PM

Review by Saving my life!:

I was addicted to 30mg Roxicodone taking about 8 a day. Also would take whatever I could get my hands on with it (Xanax, Ambien, whatever to mess me up)I tapered down significantly on methadone and am on day 4 of detoxing from the methadone. Clonidine was very helpful for me because I had severe anxiety and withdrawals from the methadone (Not as bad as withdrawals straight from opiates, but last much longer) I had a lot of trouble With panic attacks extreme anxiety and absolutely nothing to give me any sort of comfort which mainly came from servere back pain that would affect my entire body. Clonidine helped me so much with being able to calm myself down and taking away some of the symptoms. Am still not completely better, but so happy for freedom!

February 2, 2015 9:26 AM

Review by Beccalew:

I went on treatment for opiate addiction in December of last year. While there, I was encouraged by many other opiate addicts to begin a long term Suboxone treatment plan, as I had been an active user for almost ten years. After two weeks of being on Suboxone, I knew it wasn't right for me. So the nursing staff and I came up with a plan of action! Clonidine has been an absolute God send for me. Not only does it help tremendously for withdrawal symptoms, but it has also been incredible in combating my cravings and anxiety since getting out of treatment. Since it is a blood pressure medication, it can have some downfalls. Dizziness and drowsiness. I take 1 mg, twice daily. If I eat, drink water and stay active I'm fine!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2015 7:05 PM

Review by abetterme (taken for less than 1 month):

I am on day 2 of clonidine and so far so good. It has been a God send. It hasnt fixed everything. I still find myself slightly fatigued and getting headaches if I do too much too fast. Having some lightheadedness and slight dry mouth. But overall I finally feel I can beat this demon we call addiction. I have an appointment to get the Vivitrol shot next week and for the first time in years the future looks bright.

January 20, 2015 1:58 PM

Review by itzmeenotyou (taken for less than 1 month):

Have been a regular heroin (quarter g/day) and Fentanyl (usage unknown due to illicit fake 80mg oxycodone pills hard to say how much was in them but usually 2 pills/day) user for past year and before that a fairly heavy user of oxycodone (approx. 160mg/day). Have been a functioning addict the whole time but recently have started to really feel trapped in this addiction. Anyways did some research on the best way to detox at home (going to an inpatient facility isn't an option) and found that clonidine was very highly recommended so went to my Private Physician told him my situation being honest with my current addiction intake and he prescribed me 100 x 0.1mg clonidine and 50 x 1mg Ativan (lorazepam). This combination worked wonders, took away 96% bad symptoms.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 5:53 PM

Review by Shpongle (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on opiate pain killers for 6 mos following a shoulder surgery--which is still painful and may require additional surgeries to correct. I got tired of taking Oxycontin 3x per day, or get chills, etc. Tried clonidine and it is as close to a miracle as you can get when withdrawing from opiates. No chills, not fever, no vomiting, I just take Imodium 2 tablets for the GI stuff--and it is a walk in the park over trying to taper then go off completely (which I did when I had my other shoulder done). I took 100mcg-150mcg 3x a day. Don't take for more than two weeks to be safe, and not become dependent on the clonidine, which has it's own withdrawal issues.

January 5, 2015 10:41 AM

Review by Dough Boy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Was really addicted to Norco and MS Contin for a lower back issue. L3, 4, 5, and S1 Spinal Stenosis and 5 injections later, my back no longer hurt bad enough to be on fairly heavy narcotic pain medication. I tried to cold turkey the 60mg Norco and MS Contin diet and made it a whopping 2 1/2 days before I had to go to doctor. He then put me on 16mgs of Suboxone, which he touted as being "MUCH EASIER" to withdraw off. Uhhh, YEAH RIGHT! Well, 2 yrs later I'm finally finished with Suboxone. I wish I could meet whoever the chemist was that created Clonidine. WHAT A LIFESAVER! I will say that Clonidine took away about 85% percent of my withdrawal symptoms and made it fairly easy to come off Suboxone. THANK THE LORD FOR CLONIDINE!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by FreedbyTruth:

I was on opiates for a few years. I finally decided the only way to be free was to confess to my family and seek help. I had tried many times to quit but the withdrawals were too much for me. I told my doctor what was going on and she gave me clonidine. It took away all the symptoms, it took me a few nights to sleep because of restless legs syndrome, but it was a miracle for me. Also very inexpensive!

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 6:14 PM

Review by MintyNuts (taken for less than 1 month):

Been on 0.1mg three times a day for 10 days now and it has made a HUGE difference in my detox from heroin, oxycodone, and hydromorphone. Almost completely eliminated the agitation and restlessness which has always been my personal least favourite symptom of opiate withdrawal. I highly recommend anyone suffering from an addiction akin to mine to talk to a doctor about getting on it, I finally let my family doctor know about my 3 years of on and off use of various opiates and it was his first suggestion. I am also on propranolol and amitryptiline which I started at the same time as the clonidine. The only downsides I have experienced are a certain degree of daytime drowsiness and blood pressure drops upon standing up after lying down.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by Hamas frog worth it all:

I like clondine I've been on herion for 7 years and clondine is a miracle but I take nausea meds with it an a vitamin and a benzodiazepine and I believe it really works for me. The only down fall is dry mouth and light headed but if that's the only two complaints I have verses the vomiting and all the other bad side effects from herion I would say it's 100% wonderful for me and I enjoy keeping my money and not paying dealers bills and supporting there families while my suffers. I don't have any babies but there are things I have put off in my life that now I can take care of.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Montresor (taken for less than 1 month):

Reading some of the other reviews, some people rate this as a 7 or 8 because it doesn't take away all their withdrawals or restless legs syndrome, etc. Well, we all must have the realization that we must pay the Piper someday. Mine was 2 days ago. After at least months and possibly years, I was taking norco/hydrocodone and kept it somewhat in check at about 60mg a day. One major reason I kept taking Norco was because of my newly found Restless Leg Syndrome that I knew was from pain medicines. I must tell you, it feels like my fears are gone. You can't have your cake and eat it too, but this is damn close for getting rid of a lot of withdrawal symptoms. Not sure if I recommend taking during the day though as I quite sleepy.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by Jules0411 (taken for less than 1 month):

Catapres (clonidine): I'm tapering down from 100-200mg of hydrocodone per day to 20mg per day. Also, quit 20mg of Dilaudid per day. The first couple of days were hell. I finally called my doctor and told him what was going on. He prescribed me the Clonidine patch. It has helped me tremendously! The only side effect I have had is a little dizziness when I get up too fast. But I feel great and am on day 4 and down to 20mg of hydros and still feel good! Like I never started them. By the way, I have been on them for 4 years through pain management for severe diabetic neuropathy. I highly recommend this product.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 1:27 PM

Review by Randooo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My story, is a five year long battle with two failed back fusions, starting back in 2009. With my first surgery, as anyone knows that has had a L5 s1 fusion with a bone graft taken from your hip, it is painful! So as you can imagine, you are taking pain meds! So here I am 5 years later 2014, and 2 fusion that didn't take, and hoping my third has! 4 months ago, my daily meds intake was 15 10mg oxycodone, 4 30mg Oxycontin, 4 x 5mg oxymorphone! My tolerance was very high! Finally decide, enough was enough, so I went to a detox facility in Seattle, and was put on Suboxone. What a difference, I felt so much better! Four months later, I tapered of the Suboxone, started on Clonidine. Made me tired, dead legs, but kept withdrawals away! I'M A NEW MAN!

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2014 9:29 AM

Review by OpiateFreeFinally (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication is a God send! I was addicted to pain pills, any kind I could get my hands on. This eventually progressed to a heroin habit that lasted for 15 months. I tried many times to stop on my own, but the withdrawal symptoms are pure hell! I was given a 7 day supply after visiting an ER one night...OMG, it helped and almost stopped every symptom completely! When my 7 days ran out my family doctor gave me more. My biggest issue was the restless legs, and just restless everything that kept me from sleeping. Clonidine takes it totally away for me & I get very peaceful rest. I can finally see myself getting back to the person I used to be, thanks to this medicine! I highly recommended you at least give it a try.

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 2:07 AM

Review by Gary1121:

I have been on opiates for 8 years due to back problems, my wife is also on a different dose and on oxycodine I was on hydrocodine, never the less, I started getting off of these pills on Saturday, August 2,2014, today is Wednesday the 6th of Aug, I haven't had any pain pills since Saturday morning, then today I didn't take the clonidine for 18 hours instead of the 12 hours recommended by the doctor, I must say this little pill worked wanders, over the last 8 years I have run out of course every one done does, I don't care who you are what life you live, after the first 2 years my wife and I would split our pills, now I have had enough taking off work because I didn't have one of those pills. The clonidine pill is a miracle

August 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Review by MickiRivera (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took this in rehab, after I got there I started withdrawing. They gave me Clonidine. It worked there. Turns out the lovely nurse gave my local pharmacy a prescription to some more. I just found out yesterday and I got it. I have been using in the past month. It would be 1 every 3 days I would use. But when I didn't use these pains would start in my lower back Bad. Now I just gotta see if it works this time. This saved my life.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Floyd Anderson (taken for less than 1 month):

Gave me dry mouth. Made me lightheaded and groggy. Made urination frequent and painful. Made me feel like I would pass out when rising from sitting or lying down. Left me dehydrated.

April 15, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by Persona (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Clonidine can be a life saver for people going through withdrawal from opiates. I used it, a taper and finally a benzo (Valium) to end my 2 year opiate addiction with little to no problems. Trouble with clonidine is, if you are in it for too long it becomes hard to get off. It can make your methadone or opiate withdrawal look like a walk in the park as I found out. DO NOT TAKE CLONIDINE FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS. Withdrawal from it is bad and cold turkey off clonidine can be deadly if you have any underlining medical problems (high blood pressure, anxiety, panic attacks, blood clots).

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Helps with chills, that crawling out of your skin feeling and anxiety when in opiate withdrawal. Knocked out about 75% of symptoms. I've always seemed to be extra sensitive in withdrawal when it comes to those goosebumps chills etc. So I'm lucky that I had an awesome doc at the ER today who understood what I'm going through. Took clonidine 2hrs ago and feel so much better already. I thought I was going to die. Detoxed down to 5mgs of methadone from 70. Last methadone dose was 4 days ago. Still feel like crap. Just not as bad after taking clonidine. Praying I actually get some sleep tonight though.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2014 6:53 PM