User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Review Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat ADHD

"I'm 26 and took vyvanse for 6 years for ADHD. I never was able to live up to my potential in academics until I started taking vyvanse and am now an RN. I don't like the way stimulants make me feel and finally decided to quit taking vyvanse after my doctor started me on clonidine 0.1mg at night for sleep. After taking them both for two months, (vyvanse 60mg in AM and clonidine at night) I decided to stop the vyvanse and have seen amazing results with only the clonidine. I have the same energy and personality as my old self with ADHD off of vyvanse, but compared to not taking stimulants without clonidine as compared to not taking stimulants with clonidine, I feel like I can finally live without a prescription narcotic and be successful. I never thought I could live a normal, productive life without vyvanse. It feels great, and I'm so thankful that when I asked my doctor for ambien to help me sleep, she first asked me to try clonidine."

iris RN March 21, 2015

"My 5 yo has been diagnosed with ADHD and impulsiveness. I was also concerned about her not sleeping or napping. She was moody and smart mouthed constantly. Her doctor put her on the lowest dose of Clonidine and the first couple nights was a miracle. She slept from 8pm to 9am. She was calm, didn't talk back, relaxed and watched a full movie with me. About a week into the medicine, she still doesn't have a problem falling asleep, but is waking up all night, getting up sometimes before it's light out, and is hyper! So hyper she is jumping out of her chair sporadically, she can't think straight, she can't focus on anything. We are going to bring this up at next appt for sure. It's like once the meds wear off watch out!!!"

mizzy313 December 30, 2014

"I have not experienced any negative side effects from this medication. It has helped me a great deal with my ADHD at night with anxiety, helping me to calm down in the evening to get sleep."

CMP1981 December 22, 2014

Kapvay (clonidine): "I'm a 44 year old female, was in a car accident. Placed on pain meds for the last year. Had two surgeries and now I ask Dr to help me get off pain meds. He prescribed me Kapvay 0.01 mg. It has been a God send. It allowed me to sleep and took edge off my withdrawals...thanks."

greatful February 27, 2013

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 9 year old son has ADHD. Kapvay was the seventh medicine that we have tried to help him with impulsivity and concentration. He has been on this medicine for nearly one year. We switched to Focalin last month but the tics came back and the restlessness at night. His school performance was no better than before so we are back to Kapvay. Since the medicine must build up in the bloodstream to be highly effective, we are in the very sleepy stages but I know this will pass as soon as his body is accustomed to the medicine. I have learned my lesson. There is no stimulant that will help my son. Kapvay will help reduce the impulsivity but improvement to concentration must come from age and proper training."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2012

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 7 year old daughter has been on Concerta 18mg for a year. She started to tolerate that medicine, but I did not want to increase the dosage. My doctor recommend we add Kapvay to her current concerta dose. This has made all the difference. She is no longer bouncing off the walls, jumping on the couch, or leaving half way through a meal. She is engaged, focused and less moody. Her emotions are more regulated and we did not tell her teacher but she even commented on the change without us sharing the news. We are so happy, and this medicine is worth the time it takes to condition to the sleepiness that happens in the initial 2 weeks. Hope the changes stay."

Anonymous February 14, 2012

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Kapvay (clonidine): "My son has been on every medicine available for ADHD and it didn't work. I thought to myself one day how about giving him his night medicine during the day. I asked the doctor and he said if we were going to do that I prefer giving him Kapvay rather than the Catapres he's on so we did and I could not be more happier. On his color chart everyday he was bringing home green which is great, the past 3 days though in the afternoon they change it from green to a warning which is yellow so maybe I need to increase his afternoon pill just a little. Other then that Kapvay is great!"

adhd tired. January 26, 2012

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 6 yo tried this after Intuniv failed. It made him constantly tired and irritable, and actually made his impulsiveness worse since he just seemed cranky and emotional all of the time. It also constipated him to the point that ended up with fissures. It never made a meaningful dent in his ability to concentrate or sit still, and he became more argumentative in school and less willing to comply. I've yet to meet anyone that these work for, but it sure would be nice if there were a non-stimulant that worked. We're on stimulants now and still haven't found a miracle there, either. I will say that it didn't affect his appetite, which was nice."

Anonymous January 20, 2012

Kapvay (clonidine): "My daughter has tried several other stimulant medicines with the most horrible side effects. Kapvay was tried and very well appreciated in our home and at her school. The teachers were amazed at the change and the relief for myself was a God send. "

momofanangel January 1, 2012

Catapres (clonidine): "It makes me sleepy during the day but helps with side effects of Wellbutrin (itching and stuttering). Helps me sleep at night so it is doing something for me."

Anonymous June 10, 2011

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 5 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD just yesterday, the Behavior Specialist said his was one of the worst cases that she had seen in a while, she had suggested putting him on a stimulant medication, I told her i would like to a non-stimulant medication first and she prescribed him Kapvay. My son took it for the first time last night before bed, he went right to sleep and when he woke up this morning he was the calmest most pleasant, helpful and nicest he had ever been in his life. I could not believe the overnight change. I'm so glad it worked so fast, he has not gotten in trouble once today which is a new record! His teachers are going to be thrilled on Monday! Thank you to the makers of Clonidine!"

VERYhappyMOM! April 30, 2011

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Kapvay (clonidine): "We have a 8 year old who we adopted from foster care last year. He was diagnosed with ADHD soon after. He was put on Concerta. We saw definite improvement. But early this year, he started exhibiting increased symptoms of ADHD. He could not fall asleep until late so we used Melatonin. His doctor started him on Kapvay about 5 weeks ago. We started seeing a great improvement the first week because he fell asleep without Melatonin and started getting 10 hours of sleep. The second week we added the morning dose. Mornings immediately became incredible. We no longer needed check lists for him. The teacher said he still needed better focus so he is now on .3mg. He is doing incredibly well. His doctor is going to ween him down on Concerta."

River143 April 18, 2011

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 7 year old son has severe ADHD, ODD, and anxiety. We started him on Vyvanse 20mg, Depakote twice a day, and Kapvay .1 in the evening last week. We were worried because he talked SO much like he was on speed, and ran around the house looking for paper, books, pens to write with and never sat still but he was very pleasant when we started the Vyvanse. However, he was Always saying I'm sorry for blurting, please, and thank you which was unheard of before starting the Vyvanse. We were noticing around 4:00 the Vyvanse wearing off and the aggression and whining came back with a vengeance! We added another .1 mg Kapvay after school with his Depakote and the result was AMAZING. He is pleasant ALL day long."

hmurphy April 16, 2011

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 8-year old son has been on various stimulants, in addition to regular clonidine, Intuniv, Risperdal, Seroquel, Strattera and Abilify. My son is extremely impulsive and aggressive to our family on a daily basis, and I had been thinking that nothing would help our son. Our new psychiatrist recommended Kapvay and we were very skeptical, as our son was irritable and even more aggressive regular clonidine with Kapvay, there has been a SIGNIFICANT decrease in our son's aggressiveness. He is still very obsessive, rude and defiant verbally. So physically, we rate Kapvay a TEN in decreasing aggression. But only rated it a seven due to other factors. It is the ONLY medicine that has helped physical aggression for our son."

Rampage April 4, 2011

Kapvay (clonidine): "I started my son on this medicine on Friday. He is doing well. No emotional break-downs, no crying. The only issue I am having is he is falling asleep around noon every day. He hasn't had a nap since he was 16 months old. He is 7, going on 8. I can't imagine his teacher will be all that amused when he goes to sleep during class tomorrow."

BeckyBeird March 20, 2011

"I have been struggling to keep my classroom intact while managing the behavior of one child in particular. Day 2 on Clonidine. Mom didn't tell me yesterday. Like a different child. Thought I'd google it to see if it could be that immediate. Medicines should be the last resort, but definitely have a place."

Anonymous March 3, 2011

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 6 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD last year. I saw signs during the preschool years as he was kicked out of three schools. This has been a trying year as we started him on Concerta, Focalin 2.5, & Focalin ER, Intuniv:(Although the stimulants were great and we saw the benefits, it was difficult for me to see the negative side effects (tics and meltdown). I had mentioned to my doctor a month ago about Clonidine to reduce side of effects of stimulants. She declined as she was uncomfortable with providing adult medication to children. However, she contacted me about Kapvay which has been wonderful. Day 6 and a bit sleepy unlike Intuniv (sedated). I will keep you up to date."

phenomenalmom February 7, 2011

Kapvay (clonidine): "I have a 8 year old son with ADHD. He is extremely hyper and unable to focus, school and friends became a true nightmare. We see a wonderful and highly respected psychiatrist. He is very knowledgeable on ADHD medicines. I was told when their is an emotional factor to the ADHD, Clonidine is the best medication for this. We tried Clonidine after MANY stimulants and non-stimulants also anti-psychotics. Clonidine 1.0 mg 2x a day this was the only medicine that we saw immediate results with. The only side effect was the tiredness, which did go away. I started him on the Kapavy 2 weeks ago. This medicine is a true GOD send. He is calm, focused, and far less emotional. We can't say enough great things. Please give this medicine a try."

Aliathome4 February 5, 2011

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My 4 year old was diagnosed with severe ADHD and we had tried several different medications before we got the clonidine, after being on the clonidine for about a week he had become calm, he listens better, he is just all round a more well behaved child. Clonidine is a God-send for anyone who has a child with ADHD."

Dusty's Mom July 2, 2010

"My son just recently start taking this and so far so good, it helps him sleep at night and also he has had a wonderful 4 weeks at daycare, which is unheard of for him! It just really calms him down but doesnt make him doped up."

JESSICA83 April 29, 2010

"My 14 year old son has ADHD. He was diagnosed 8 years ago. He was prescribed Vyvanse in May 2008. It wasn't working. He gained weight and inches. He couldn't sleep. He became aggressive and lazy. His heart began to race and his old tics returned. We were referred to a psychologist. He prescribed clonidine. His failing grades went to A's. It controlled his moods, calmed his heart, and the tics disappeared. Also he sleeps well now. We are thrilled. He is also more organized."

susan benson November 1, 2009

Catapres (clonidine): "I used it to come off of oxycodone and it helped some. My doctor continued it as an adjunct to my ADHD medicines and it was a nice mellow touch. Discontinued after a year; I take enough medicines as it is."

Rx2009 October 27, 2009

Catapres (clonidine): "My son has been on this for about 2 years, as well as vyvanse. It really calms him down so he can go to bed and get a good nights sleep! He used to have nightmares, but since hes been on this medication, he hasn't had one! Again I thank the makers of these wonder drugs and I know my son thanks you all as well!"

REDNECKCHIC09 August 14, 2009