User Reviews for Celexa

Depression 228 reviews 75 medications

7.6
Summary of Celexa reviews 446 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Celexa

For Anxiety and Stress "I went to the doctor because I was too terrified to do any meaningful living, including walking out of my door. I had experienced panic attacks and was under great social stress. The doc started me out on 20 mg/day and the first ten days was horrible in that I could "feel" something at work and - because I was afraid of everything, I was even afraid of this medical rescue -- and that was hard for me. My husband did not approve, he felt I should overcome my problems on my own. I persisted, and within a month I felt a blessed relief. I was still having middle of the night anxiety-rushes but when we increased the dose to 30 mg/day they were gone, too. Nearly a year later, I am grateful every day I have this medication."

Munga -- STICK IT OUT and LIFE WILL GET BETTER May 7, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I was put on celexa for anixety and depression. I took it for the first time last night then woke up at 10am with the worst nausa of my life. i thought i was goingto vomit. I also couldnt stop shaking but i wasnt cold. My whole body also felt like it was on fire and burning. the worst was my feet, hands and ears. My feet was so bad i couldnt feel them. so not taking this med anymore."

lachele (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication is truly a double edge sword. This is only my personal experience with this drug. I liked it but won't be recommending it due to sexual and other side effects. The positive: It works like a dream...as far as mood it will make you extremely mellow and easy going. The negative: It will make you shake-tremors. You will still have somewhat of a sex drive but impossible to achieve an orgasm. Weight gain, stomach cramps, restless and trouble sleeping."

crystal_clear007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Celexa helped me immensely with my social anxiety. It completely changed my personality for the better. I finally felt confident and stopped having frequent anxiety and panic attacks. The only downside to taking this drug was that it was a bit too good at reducing my anxiety. I gained a total of 80 pounds in the first two years of taking it. I used to be obsessed with my weight, weighing myself multiple times a day and having anxiety attacks over it. Celexa took away my insecurities, but at a major cost to my physical health. I was on Celexa for 7 years and only decided to try something else because I was having difficulty becoming motivated to lose weight, and found that it was not helping me enough with depression."

Ley87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "For many years I had been trying to live with anxiety until it reached a point when I realized I needed help. I often felt stressed and anxious with simple activities like going to the store, and couldn't hold a job or stick with things. Celexa made me happy again, helped me look at life as a glass half full, not empty. Started on 20, noticed some improvement but not complete relief...increased to 40, and then feeling great decided I no longer needed medication. Tapering off, withdrawal symptoms included: dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc...also, anxiety returned full force. I'm back on it, I gave it an 8 because as effective as it is, therapy is an important component to include with treatment. I'll probably stay on this for many years!"

Kayak33 April 25, 2015

For Depression "This medicine has been very helpful to me. I have always been very reluctant to try medications. This medication has stopped the crying everyday, the constant anger, and helped significantly with anxiety. I have been on Celexa for almost 3 months and I feel a little better everyday, it just takes time. I've had night sweats, light headaches and not slept as well as I used to since starting this medication. However, for me, the benefits are outweighing the side effects at the moment and I will continue to use Celexa until that is no longer the case."

19piper91 April 24, 2015

For Depression "I love this medication is has changed my life. Love it love it love it....."

Me myself and I April 24, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on citalopram for a couple months now and I absolutely love it. The only side effect I had was dizziness the next day after the first dose, but it went away. As of right now, no side effects at all, and I have noticed that I am more independent and more confident than I have ever been. Before this medication I took Paxil, which was horrible. The side effects were the worst and the withdrawal (which I have read about) is bad as well, but I got over it. Before Celexa I would be afraid to talk on the phone and do basic things like calling insurance companies, cable companies, etc. But now I have the confidence to call anyone and the change has been night and day. Highly recommend this medication!"

Saritaaa April 22, 2015

For Depression "I was hesitant for years to ever be put on medicine for anxiety/depression, but once it had significantly gotten worst into my "adult" years (mid-20's), I decided it was time. I cannot say enough amazing things about Celexa. I have been on it for a little over two weeks (10 mg starting out and now 20mg) and wow. My only regret is that I didn't get put on this way sooner! My emotional state is so much better, I am rarely irritated, and I can deal with everything so much better without going absolutely crazy. It's truly amazing. I did have side effects at first- headache, light-headedness, going to the bathroom a lot, stomach upset, lump in my throat, clinching my jaw, but it was worth all that once I got past it!"

Emma L April 16, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Starting Celexa was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. I had lost myself in a world of anger, darkness, fear, anxiety, panic attacks, and hypochondria. I was not myself. In fact, I didn't even recognize myself anymore. The first month of Celexa (10mg) was hell, to be honest. Side effects included upset stomach, nausea, numbness, weakness, brain "zaps", hot flashes, night sweats, panic attacks, anxiety, inability to sleep, the feeling of extreme heat within my body (difficult to explain), and strange awareness of limbs. After a month, I woke up one day" and was myself again. It felt like a weight had been lifted. I was free, happy, courageous, calm, and peaceful. I am about to meet the 1year mark - the serenity remains."

yogini22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I am on week three of 10mg celexa. I felt a difference in my mood immediately. My husband too finds I am much calmer. I was a mix bag of anxiety, irritability, anger, sadness, stress, mind racing and exhaustion. I used to snap at every little thing. The mood shifting was not only hard on me but my family as well. I couldn't live like that any more. Although I was prescribed celexa, I did not rush out to buy it I guess because I was ashamed about having to medicate myself. It took me two months to admit it to myself. I now regret not starting it earlier! It has changed me for the better. I am still the same person with the same life problems but I can better handle my problems now. I can think clearly. The negativity is gone."

32y female (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

For Depression "So, a little over a year ago (20 year old female) I was diagnosed with depression. My doctor gave me Celexa 20 mg. The first week I had dry mouth and nausea, but that was about it for side effects, they went away quickly. Celexa made me feel more in control of my emotions, happier, and less tearful. After 8 months, I switched to 40 mg, it didn't do very much and 4 months later, I had gained 15 lbs. So I switched back to 20 mg. It has been over a year now and I feel like the medication has stopped working, I'm feeling depressed again, sleeping a lot, more sadness. So I'm going to see my doctor and switch. Overall, for a first medication, it was good. Just definitely watch your weight and what you're eating!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2015

For Depression "I can't say enough good things about this medication. I've fought mild-to-moderate depression on-and-off for twenty years. I've done counseling and read tons of books. I also tried Paxil years ago but found it numbing. Celexa has been WONDERFUL. I'm on 20mg a day. The crying spells, feelings of doubt and despair, and constant negative thoughts have all gone away. I still have up and down moods and feelings but they feel normal and manageable...like what regular people must feel like. I feel much more confident, happy and engaged with life. As for side effects...not to be crude, but the only side effect I've experienced is delayed orgasm and, as a man, this is more of a benefit than a problem ;-) I highly recommend this medication..."

Can't say enough good things (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

For Depression "I am taking Celexa 20 mg for four months now, and my depression is better I am not crying every single moment I still have anxiety, but for depression works☺️Also I am more sociable now it takes a few months though"

Gelly March 26, 2015

For Depression "I have been on Celexa for over 6 years now. For a long time, I have been on 20mg a day and I feel quite normal for the most part. I do not feel like crying and I do not feel suicidal every single day anymore BUT i do have episodes of that at least once a month, lasting for just several days. I cut down to 10mg for a year but I noticed that I had non-stop crying and sensitivity more often so I am not back on 20mg. I would not say that it makes me feel extremely happy but for the most part, I felt normal. I like that it did not make any changes to my weight and it did not lower my sex drive at all in comparison to other reviews on this medication. I do, however, noticed that my memory and focus is not as great as before I started Celexa."

22femalecanadian March 15, 2015

For Depression "Helps post traumatic stress disorder that has turned into chronic depression and irritability. Side effects is nausea, appetite gain and tiredness, in my case, but I also have hypothyroidism and clogged arteries. Helps enough to be worth it for good in my case."

KatVonFarsta March 13, 2015

For Depression "At first I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg which I cut in half to 25mg. I'm sensitive to medications and this being my first SSRI it really threw me for a loop. Severe derealization and anxiety that lasted all day. So I quit the Zoloft and was put on Celexa and Buspar, the Buspar is useless for me. I once again had bad derealization. So after giving the Buspar two chances I gave it up. I started Celexa at 10mg. First day samething, derealization, anxiety, etc. So I cut the pill in half to 5mg, helped me get used to medication really well. I now take it every night at 8pm. I'm currently taking 15mg, about to take 20mg after 3 more doses. I'm starting to feel emotions and connections with myself that I haven't felt in years. So far, so good"

TO'Leary (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I have started on celexa 10mg for severe anxiety I was having ( to the point where I couldn't function and thought I was going to lose my job) I'm only a week in the 10 mg and I already feel a lot better, the anxiety is still there but is manageable. I will be upping to 20 mg this weekend in case it makes me sick. Which brings me to my next advice, if you have a sensitive stomach or was not on any other medication start in a low dose and start on a Friday or Saturday because you will have bad symptoms. I was extremely nauseous, I couldn't sleep and it made me feel really weird for a while. I had to take petbo bismol tablets to make sure I did not throw up the medication and be back to square one. But that has passed and I feel better now!"

Kourt (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015

For Depression "I finally realized over a decade of having suicidal thoughts and images continue in my head and chronic emotional pain that would always keep coming back strong that I needed help. Since I've used Celexa it has honestly changed my life. I still feel emotions. I'm still sad sometimes. But I see the light at the the end of the tunnel every day now. I am grateful every day. I never want to go back to how I felt. For so long I was in denial, but it truly did help me."

Satisfied User (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Celexa gave me my life back! I was going through a hard time and slowly but surely hit a wall with depression and anxiety and wasn't able to handle it. I wasn't sleeping or even able to eat, I felt alone and so far from myself. I'd never been on an antidepressant before so Celexa was the first and I had looked up all the side effects and was really scared to take it. Don't let the side effects or horror stories fool you. This medicine does help, it takes time to see the results but it does help."

jlskpk March 5, 2015

For Depression "My OBGYN suggested I take this instead of Wellbutrin and Zoloft. It helped but not like the other two. I switched back as soon as I could."

Nikorah March 3, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "DO NOT STOP taking this because you feel better. Husband been on this three years felt better stopped taking and passed out on the kitchen floor ended up in hospital did not remember not taking this so after a crap load of test and thousands of dollars it came down to the fact he stopped taking celexa and was detoxing to not try this scared the crap out of both of us. I thought I was going to have. To commit him to a mental hospital"

TheUndertakerswife (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 2, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "First 10 days were brutal. STICK THEM OUT! Lots of people seem to have an initial period of getting used to this drug. My first 10 days I was unable to eat, nausea, anxiety increased to a point I was barely able to leave the house, crying for no reason. Just stick it out. Day 10 through about 6 weeks I noticed not much improvement. At about 6 weeks I noticed improvement in my anxiety, able to function much better. My anxiety disorder has only improved more and more since I've been on this drug (also seeing a therapist for anxiety). Just know there may be an initial period of terrible side effects. I've gained like 2 lbs, but it's due to being happier & having a new boyfriend because I am finally able to function as a normal person."

Stick It Out February 25, 2015

For Depression "I found citaprolam 10 mg dose using for three months has stopped my gambling addiction straight away. I also stopped feeling paranoid and depressed."

mowergoalie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2015

For Depression "Within a few weeks of starting Celexa my depression disappeared almost completely. The side effects that are the most noticeable for me are tiredness, weight gain, and sensitivity to light. The stuff does its job, but the side effects are a bit hard to deal with."

Haylie S (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015