User Reviews for Celexa

Depression 243 reviews 76 medications

7.6
Summary of Celexa reviews 477 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Celexa

For Anxiety and Stress "I just started this medication about 5 days ago so far I haven't had any side effects and am going to continue taking as directed I'm on 20mg a day. I have been having severe anxiety due to the loss of a loved one (my brother ) hopefully this medication will work im keeping my fingers crossed will give another comment maybe 2 months into it"

hachet August 29, 2015

For Depression "I used this three years ago after I was Prego. I had vey bad depression, ocd, anxiety. Not sure which condition but felt all symptoms. Took 20 mg celexa, vitamin D and metformin for PCOS. As a miracle all symptoms went away. Had a few days when they would return but not constant. Just now and then. Did not have to be on meds continous. Was manageable with vitamin d and light, celexa when occurring. I am Prego with second child had some stress with baby and boom all symptoms returned. Exactly like I previously felt. Took 10 mg while Prego did not do anything. Am due to deliver anytime now. Am going to up dose to 40 after Prego. To knock out the symptoms. Am scared it won't work. But keep reminding myself that my body desponded well before."

TrustGod August 27, 2015

For Depression "Worked for depression but diarrhea was intolerable."

arralite August 26, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Started having panic attacks last June when I had a medical issue with my eye. My doctor prescribed me celexa. I held onto the prescription for over 6 months as I was terrified of relying on a pill to help me and was scared of side effects. Finally I couldn't take the anxiety anymore and started on 10mg. First few weeks I COULD NOT SLEEP and my anxiety was worse. Had to take sleeping pills. But eventually it got better and now I feel great! It's been 6 months and I've never increased my dosage. I still get anxious once in a while but that is fine with me because I don't want to "not feel anything" like some pills do to you! I know it's not for everyone but I am glad I finally tried it!!"

Anonymous August 24, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I was prescribed Celexa for anxiety. I had previously tried Prozac, which made things even worse. Celexa (10mg) was great. I felt better, just a bit more evened out, and less anxious. It's definitely not a xanax but it helped me to feel more like myself. However, it also made me gain about 15 pounds in only 3 months. During this time I was exercising, eating healthfully, and still gaining. I eventually weaned myself off it. Weaning myself off was *terrible*. Nausea, inability to concentrate, etc."

bea000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Sometimes I think that someone employed by Celexa inc create the responses I read on this site. Most of the positive experiences do not seem likely. Celexa has been a nightmare for me. It makes me so angry. I'm from the big easy and would like to consider myself laidback. I have a very strong belief the reason this medication is prescribed so frequently is so the docs or the powers that be can receive the kick back from by pharmacy. I truly believe that. I'm going on month 4 and currently take 40mgs. I cannot report any positive effects. I can attest to a loss in libido, rashes, depression, weight gain, dry mouth, loss of appetite, aches and I can go on. And the only reason I take it is to obtain the medication that I do get relief from."

Mobraver (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I've been taking 10mg of Celexa a day for almost 3 weeks now. The first week i experienced minor side effects, excessive yawning, irregular heartbeat, anxiety and so on. I came around to the medication about 5 days into it and was feeling good, i wasn't anxious about socialising and i wasn't having as many negative thoughts (this lasted a week). But now I'm feeling as though I'm returning to my old self. This might be to early to call as I've only taken 18 days worth of tablets but I'm beginning to think my body has built a tolerance for it already. I'm due an appointment with the doc next week so i will enquire about possibly upping the dosage and will review again once i have. I've never taken antidepressants so trial and error i suppose!"

chambers123 August 13, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Coming up to the 1 year mark, been on 20mg per day until this week when I've increased to 30mg. Until last few weeks my anxiety has been manageable but now I feel it returning due to some personal issues at home. Compared to how I was this time last year just before I started I am ten times better, but am by no means cured. I've increased my dosage with doctors guidance in order to continue managing my anxiety and depression.I find this medication great in most ways but the side effects are not good. I had severe nausea for the first 3 weeks, night tremors, hot sweats, no appetite. Within 4 weeks these had all gone completely but I've found that I suffer with terrible short term memory, increased hair loss and alcohol affects me much worse."

RatcliffesGirl August 11, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I have had absolutely no side effects while on this medication. My anxiety is obviously not "cured" but the symptoms are much more manageable and they occur less frequently . My life has SIGNIFICANTLY improved since beginning Celexa. Not only do I feel less anxious most of the time, but my social skills have improved. I'm not afraid to talk to people as much anymore. I know some people believe that antidepressants change who you are, but that is not true. If they do, that is not the drug for you. The right antidepressant is suppose to allow you to be who you are without (as much) anxiety. **IMPORTANT: You do have to be on the look out for drug interactions. There are many antibiotics you shouldn't take while taking Celexa including Cipro.**"

Liv from CA (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2015

For Depression "I took Celexa yrs ago for mild depression & it helped. Then stopped. Now I'm taking 20 mg for major depression & it's not doing much. The side effect is an upset stomach. I still just want to stay in bed. I also take 1 mg of Klonopin at 11:00 pm so I can sleep through the nite. I am thinking of asking my pdoc for Wellbutrin or Effexor. I'm not in a good place."

wannabbetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I personally think celexa worked very well for me. I got on it due to a lot of anxiety in college and I started to have panic attacks but then realized it helped with some depression as well. I was very foggy for the first 2 weeks and didn't feel like myself but stuck it out and it worked great for 3 months! I just got bumped up to 20mg because it seems to be wearing off but so far so great! stick with it."

Anonymous August 6, 2015

For Depression "I've taken this medication for about 3:years now. Back when I was diagnosed with major depression one of the first medications I tried was celexa. It helped me out of a very bad place. Like every medication it has its side effects, but compared to other medications they are minimal. This medication, along with exercise and a healthy diet, helped turn my life around. There are no side effects worth mentioning besides mind drowsiness and a lack of energy on higher doses. If you feel stuck I would highly recommend celexa your first choice for meds"

MB1812 August 5, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I started taking Celexa about 1 1/2 weeks ago, started at 10 mg and upped to 20 three days ago. I had been on Zoloft prior for about 5 years but it stopped working. Was off of it for about 2 months before starting Celexa. Experiencing an increase of anxiety, tiredness and an overall sense of exhaustion. Does it get better, will these side effects go away eventually? My doctor said the increased anxiety is not caused by the meds. Yes I was anxious and needed something but my anxiety is much higher since taking the meds so I don't necessarily believe the doctor 100%. I want to stop taking it but I also want to feel "normal" and no these meds can be very helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

ZoeyP August 3, 2015

For Depression "I suffer from PTSD and severe chronic depression. I have been on multiple medications, taking 10-12 pills a day. My doctor recommending celexa for depression as well as my anxiety, and guess what. I am now on 4 pills a day celexa for depression, klonopin for my anxiety attacks, ambien to help me sleep, and prazosin to keep my nightmares at bay. Celexa works for me amazingly, it has calmed me down some and I used to just burst out in tears at the simplest things because they reminded me of my past. Not anymore. Although I have it a 9 and not a 10 because the first couple weeks are rough. I was very VERY lethargic and sleepy and I was still having mood swings which got a little worse. I stuck with it and it changed me."

Crazy lady ;) (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I battled with severe panic attacks and generalized anxiety. It got so bad that I was unable to leave the house. The panic attacks would happen everywhere and would feel dizzy, sweat, have palpitations, and diarrhea. I would eventually run out of the store crying. I turned to my doctor who recommended 20mg of Celexa. After about 5 weeks of pretty harsh side effects such as extreme tiredness, restlessness, and agitation, the panic attacks stopped. Thanks to Celexa, I got my life back and was able to go out again. It was a lifesaver. I've been on it for about two years now, and have started to successfully wean off. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because it took a while to kick in and the side effects were pretty severe."

MisoCat July 27, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Celexa 10 mg for social anxiety, 2 wk of side effects. IT WORKS. I can feel my emotions. (I would walk on glass to get another prescription). Tried Prozac and Zoloft with out success, they made me feel wired. However, everyone body are different. (Hang in there, it's worth the wait.)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "June 23, Dr. prescribed 20 mg. of Celexa for social anxiety at work. I was running out of options. Thought I was going to have to stop working after 20 yrs. with the same company. My 15 year teen felt sorry for us. Tried Zoloft at first,made me very tired, more like a (zombie). The Celexa 20 mg. first dose, made me feel wired, scared, paranoid, more anxiety, I could not leave the house. A coworker who have very good success with Celexa recommended me to start with 1/4 mg. of a 10 mg. tablet and increase it when my body and mind work it out.....and it did! About every 5 days, However, the FIRST AND SECOND week I took off work and watch t.v. and went walking. Now I am at 10 mg. in 1 month. Social Anxiety gone,plan to increase to 15 mg."

Anonymous July 25, 2015

For Depression "I started this medication due to depression and uncontrollable panic attacks and anxiety. I started on 10mg and had very bad nausea, very tired and no appetite. The first two weeks were the same but the definitely by the 3rd week I could feel by body calming down and was quite pleased. Unfortunately, I started having awful tingling and burning in my arms, mostly the left. Now I have titrated off and now on Effexor, but I am still having the burning and tingling in the arm but have had only 1 panic attack. The first two weeks are hard but hang in there. It will be worth it!!!! I wanted to give up as well but I had to think about my family and that pushed me through. I'm not 100% but I can drive and socialize now without getting as panicked."

Be Patient July 25, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication was a magic heal for me. I had suffered from depression and severe anxiety issues for years, being tested with various medications, head shrinkers, etc. my most recent doctor first met with me he instantly suggested this medication. Within four weeks I felt better, at my follow up appointment after eight weeks my doctor could tell the improvement I had made socially. He suggested I increase dose, I've had no side effects from it, and have had decent improvement so far. Turns out he was right and now after 2 weeks increased dose I feel like a different person. I'm not nervous to speak to others, I'm not irritable, shy, or depressed like I was before. For me, this was what I needed. Social anxiety and depression in the past"

Jiff1912 July 23, 2015

For Depression "Felt better in 2 days ! This is a miracle for me. Suffered with terrible depression for years. Also had severe anxiety and panic attacks. I have NO side effects from Celexa. It is WONDERFUL from my personal experience."

Brook Smit July 19, 2015

For Depression "Week1 dizziness, nausea, no appetite, foggy feeling, stomach growling. Week 2 same as before plus sweating, bad GERD,and insomnia. Almost stopped but decided to stick it out. Week 3 everything slowly disappeared. Now on week 4, much calmer, lost weight about 8 lbs, blood pressure dropped to normal readings, I have more energy now I am walking everyday, still feel like myself, not numb like some reported . Reason started was I had 2 deaths in a month and was losing it. In the past I have tried Prozac, lexapro, effexor, Zoloft and many others nothing has worked as well as celexa. My advice give it time, be patient . Like many things it's worth waiting for. Good Luck to all!!"

1happiergirl July 5, 2015

For Depression "I started celexa 2 weeks ago and its been my life saver I had been depressed from my teens and never wanted help I refused I then had my little girl a year half ago become very angry and emotional but was in a bad relationship I was so sure I didn't need help and no pills to make me better about a month ago my partner robbed and left me for another women I became an emotional wreck just cried and cried going inside myself were family and work friends noticed and begged me to go get some help I went to doctors he gave me celexa and another calmer drug lozapam I think and within a few days they worked so much calmer no more crying or suidical thoughts I feel dumb no emotions in some way helped me a lot I feel a lot better person for my child"

Emma Louise June 15, 2015

For Depression "For those people considering taking Celexa, I also read other people's reviews and comments. It scared me, as I had never taken anything to cope with this depression that has been low lying for most of my life. I thought I could just cope, but coming from a family of reactive communications, I just thought that's how I was. But then I realized when I'm super stressed I feel myself hyper focused on the problem, and not the solution. My solution was to self soothe with food and give into laziness. I came to the conclusion that maybe if I can find something to smooth out these harsh feelings (edges), I would have the energy to give to myself to get back to gym, make better decisions when I'm stressed."

Necomer (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I'm on my third day of Celexa! I have experienced a few side effects such as trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, tightened jaw and grinding my teeth, as well as loss of appetite and feeling as though I might be on cheap MDMA. I do feel as though it is helping with my anxiety because I already feel less stressed and I feel happier than I felt before. I do feel a bit paranoid though, because I read many reviews of people gaining weight so I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible."

Rachel514 June 10, 2015

For Depression "I had severe depression when we moved from a house I loved in the country to a smaller house I hated by the river in a little suburb that I'd always detested. Celexa works. Most definitely but it works too well. After being on it for 11 years, I became emotionless. I had no feelings either way. It also helped me to put on 50 pounds. At 61, I decided to stop it. I weaned my self off by cutting the pills in half, then in quarters, then none. The side effects are the worst of any medication I've ever experienced....dizziness, SEVERE depression, SEVERE happiness, experiences in my head that I can only describe as "zits" that were instantaneous moments of dizziness or a feeling of a bug "zipping" by your head, fatigue, jitters."

OldOhioian (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015