User Reviews for Fluvoxamine

Also known as: Luvox, Luvox CR

Learn more about Fluvoxamine.

Social Anxiety Disorder 1 reviews 6 medications

Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluvoxamine reviews 78 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Fluvoxamine

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Went from too much genius to just enough. I won't describe it more specifically than that. Excessive thoughts used to cause very bad anxiety and stress. I used the fluxovaxmine maleate to quell the excessive thoughts and was able to focus better on getting things done. The drug cannibilizes its effectiveness though because of the side effect of drowsiness. I am often very tired on the drug, and although I am still able to work well, it takes more effort to do so than when I am not on any medication. There are some sexual side effects to this drug as well. The most prominent sexual side effect is near inability to climax. But that is the nature of the drug: It numbs your emotions. I can't have a normal sex life on this drug."

TooMuchGenius (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2015

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I immediately noticed my anxiety went down but I had to stop taking the medication because I would sleep up to 16 hours a day, which was not practical as a law student. I also experienced severe nausea and headaches. I felt extremely frustrated that I was prescribed this medication by my doctor."

Renee92 August 16, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Fluvoxamine is the pill I've been searching for my whole life. I started out with 100mg and have up'd it to 200mg daily. When I first realized that the medicine was working, the experience was comparable to the first time I got glasses when I was in sixth grade and did not know I had bad vision. Fluvoxamine gave me back control. A negative side effect is the sexual dysfunction though; it takes me quite a bit longer to get there which is good for her I guess but frustrating for me."

anonymous 3 August 14, 2015

For Depression: "I have been taking 100mg of this medicine nightly before bed for nearly a year now. I had an awful case of anxiety based depression that ruined me my senior year of high school and left me in the throes of a personal break down. I went to my doctor and she submitted me to this experimental medicine screen after a previous attempt of cymbalta left me no where. When I started taking these pills, it was like a miracle had happened to me. My anxiety virtually disappeared. It was the biggest relief I had experienced in my life. I no longer had issues talking to people and I began to excel in my work once again. Only complaints are extreme withdrawal symptoms and it is much less effective for me while I am on my period."

Lainyluu (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2015

For Depression: "Very good"

CHIWAWA (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2015

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "One week and a half and so far so good - takes me down several notches for anxiety, which is good! I've had OCD for over 35 years and it's going to be v hard to break - it may be helping a smidge?"

Trishy Trish Gee June 28, 2015

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "After 10 years of struggling with heightening anxiety, I came very close to breaking point, and checked myself into a wonderful private psych hospital - which at the time, I found absolutely terrifying. Little did I know, my timing was perfect, as I met my new doctor (an angel/psychiatrist) who made an OCD diagnosis straight away. With him, I started on 100mg of Luvox, which had a positive effect within 2 days. We increased my dose to 200mg per night, which has continued to work superbly ever since (and it's been 1.5 years). I can't speak highly enough of Luvox, which is the one and only medication I've tried. The biggest thing I've learnt about OCD, is that the 'cure' (aka, return to the healthy pool) = medication + psychology + lifestyle!"

Courageous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2015

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication has helped me tremendously. I'm not sure how I lived without it. It took about a week of me taking the medication for my symptoms of OCD to improve, and ever since I have felt 99%. Once every few months I have my 'alright days', but then again, I do have my consecutive couple days that I forget to take them before I fall asleep.... :S :)"

Hann May 19, 2015

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: "After being diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (2012)I began experiencing anxiety and depression excepting this life change and handling the symptoms. My doctor prescribed me Lexapro 20mg/daily which helped with mild anxiety and over all day to day stress. However, I still experienced heavy anxiety while traveling & taking on new projects/assignments at work. I explained that I felt that the Lexapro was great but not working in all situations. My doctor then switched me to Luvox 200mg/daily. I've been taking Luvox for less than a week now and am already experiencing dry mouth, lack of motivation, diarrhea, nausea, light headedness/faint, and being more emotional and irritable. Obviously not for me. Life over all was better with Lexapro."

Michaeld9815 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've been on fluvoxamine for 4 days and I can already notice a difference. I'm way less stressed because I'm not harping or obsessing over everything! I hope to get a little bit more relief but I know it will take time. So far though, I'm happy with it! I'll also post an update in a few months. Take care everyone. "

matkinson1992 (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Effective for a while but unable to sleep"

paul7674 February 2, 2015

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've been on Luvox for 12 years for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It was the first medication and I tried and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't try anything else."

Kijill (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Works awesome but the diarrhea was terrifying"

Jonathan gambet November 22, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I finally got the courage to talk to my GP about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and all the other issues it was creating. I was first OCD when 14 (Now 33) I was given some samples of Aropax back then and it seemed to eliminate the symptoms immediately, but over time and no planning for continued dosage, my condition worsened and led me to Luvox. I was really down and out. The Luvox initially made me very tired. Dimished Sex Drive and loss of appetite. The enhanced depression was getting to me. The initial 50mg dose was increased (I'm 6'5 115kgs) to 100mg. After 4-5 weeks this started getting better. The sleepiness became the opposite (hard to sleep). Take them at the same time every day and keep a journal of your improvement."

Aussie OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Luvox is fantastic - My Dr put me on it first up, I didn't try any other medicines, and I've been on it for over a year now, and have happily lived almost symptom free. The only thing is when I miss it one or two nights I become a bit of a mess, crying and feeling anxious. Also, I'm starting to feel a bit of depression which is odd for me, but I think it will just be a matter of lowering the dose - It was so bad I was on 300mg and 2mg of Risperidone, but now down to 300mg Luvox only, but perhaps should try going down to 200mg to see if the motivation comes back."

ElleTee (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 22, 2014

For Depression: "I think Luvox is a good medicine. I also take Abilify. Luvox took a long time to work. My two cents are to keep yourself busy and active, because no medication will treat everything. I am only giving this medicine a 7 out of 10 because it makes me kind of tired. The reason why I take Abilify too is because I have irritability associated with depression."

SuperToaster1001 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Try it if you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I'm glad I did. Have taken it now for about 14 years. If OCD symptoms (ruminating and checking) were at a 9 before, they are at a 2 now. Just occasional flare-ups during more difficult periods of life. Side effects aren't unimportant - delayed ejaculation and a general sleepy feeling. The trade offs are 1000% worth it."

SGC2 July 7, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I am on this again for the second time, my main issue is that I find it makes me tired all the time and it's hard to concentrate for university. I just want to sleep. My doctor did say he chooses the more sedative ones to start with because they usually have less adverse reactions. Other than being tired, it did reduce my depression and anxiety a fair bit, but most of all reduced my suicidal thoughts a great amount."

Carmacreator May 22, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Starting taking Luvox after I told my doctor that Effexor which is very effective and a lifesaver for me was a bit of a libido killer. Said to try Luvox. I had a bad reaction even after tapering off Effexor properly. I had very bad headaches which codeine couldn't shift and diarrhea, also stomach cramps and bad nausea. Not for me obviously, so am starting back on the Effexor which keeps me sane."

whitepointer (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Works well for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The obsessions seem to roll off, like water off a lotus pad. Obsessions are less frequent as well. A few side effects: less frequent bowel movements, some tiredness until you get used to it, lowers sex drive, and you have to work harder to motivate self. BUT it really does relieve the torment of the mind."

JeremyLee79 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Wow finally a conversation with my son that is NOT fishing. 17 yr old son was dropped on his head when he was born by a nurse. He has seen the same neuro since being a baby. We've tried everything. Cocktails of medicines, seizure meds, etc. Nothing helped. It got so bad I was placed on medication for my nerves. His neurologist suggested we try Luvox. I am sitting next to my son, who is playing a game. Calm yet very alert not dragging like other meds did to him. He is able to hold conversations about so many topics and that is a relief even to him."

Mom of odd child (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribed Luvox for anxiety and panic attacks. Initially Luvox just made me tired. After about 2 weeks it started making me feel depressive. Continued taking it for about 2 months, the depressive symptoms only got worse. I had to discontinue medication because it caused depression for me. Did not help for anxiety or panic at all. When tapering off I suffered severe nausea and headaches. Didn't work and has bad side effects."

Lemon 14 March 30, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "So far this is the best medication I've been on for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have obsessive thoughts and ruminating as my compulsion and it was totally debilitating before. I was on mirtazapine for a while but felt emotionless and still had a lot of OCD-"crashes". Switched to Fluvox because mirtazapine made me gain a lot of weight. Finally losing weight now and have a normal appetite again! Obliterates obsessive thoughts and makes me feel really happy, plus I have all my strong emotions back, feeling more "me" again. Frustrating side effect in insomnia (most nights I wake up 2-3 times for 30 mins at least and sleep very restlessly) but the headaches and nausea have both passed, so hopefully this will also pass."

indie_annika March 17, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Was prescribed for anxiety/obsessive thoughts. Couldn't make it to max therapeutic dose -- at 200mg the medication caused me to lose my voice for over 2 months. As soon as the medication was stopped, my voice came back."

slowdive86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "15 years ago after suffering with severe panic attacks I found a doctor who found the root of my troubles was my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was on Luvox, brand name only because when I tried the generics they did NOT work? During the time it was off market, I suffered terribly until it came back. It keeps my OCD in check to the best it can be BRAND name only, I do not know why."

Elisse (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2014