User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

Review by allysmo3:

I just started taking Celexa and it worked really good. I'm happy all the time and my marriage is getting better.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 3:44 PM

Review by JJen_rose57:

Simply put a "MIRACLE".

October 17, 2014 10:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa has changed my life in 5 days! Thanks to a doctor who finally understood what was wrong with me after suffering excruciating physical pain for at least 10 or more years. I feel lIke a new person. Have had more energy in the last 5 days than I have for 5 years! Suffering from some insomnia but I am sure that will go away. - 51 year old female

October 16, 2014 11:03 PM

Review by Lisabel (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started Celexa a month ago. At first, tremors, dry mouth, shaking, and dead libido. After a week, my jaw was petrified, my teeth hurt, was always biting my tongue. My energy was gone. Was sleeping 9hrs at night, and 3-4 hrs nap in the afternoon. I was a zombie. I just switch to Wellbutrin, and I pray for better results.

October 8, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by KeeksterReekster (taken for less than 1 month):

I was finally diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety last week. I have been suffering since childhood, but only recently obtained help. The doctors prescribed me Celexa. I've been on it for a few days now and I feel a noticeable difference. I wonder if that's even possible; I've read everywhere that it takes several weeks to notice some changes. Placebo effect maybe? Anyways, I appreciate having a more positive outlook on life and I even found the side effect (lightheadedness) a tad pleasant.

September 29, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had the same experience as the last post, had been in a state of worsening depression for months, about 2 days after starting Celexa it was like I snapped out of it, and the last four months has been a bad dream. I too worry that its to much to fast, its supposed to take weeks at least, however apparently for some patients and there's no real reason for it, do experience notable improvements within days, the working theory are those with more manic like depression are more apt to it working in shorter terms but its not really known why.

September 9, 2014 9:10 AM

Review by jmpatton (taken for less than 1 month):

I have taken 4 doses of Celexa thus far. I noticed changes about 24 hours in. Prior to starting I was very out of it, sad, withdrawn, had urges to hurt myself, no appetite, nausea/vomiting, anxiety, etc. I saw my doctor for my worsening depression and she added Celexa to my other meds (Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Geodon). I had been on that combination and the same dosages since May 2014. My boss noticed major negative changes since May. Today I am a little dizzy and nauseous, but otherwise, feeling much better, which is weird. I am not used to this feeling. I was worried this was too drastic of a change because it had been only 24 hours, but after reading other reviews, I am optimistic.

August 30, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by ChangingMeds03 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I took Celexa (citalopram) for about 8yrs. I started at 20mg dose and worked up to 40mg over the yrs. I found I was happier in the summer, and with my doctor's help would decrease my dose for a bit, but in winter I'd bump it back up again. Mood wise, Celexa did wonders for me. I was able to live happily for yrs. Missing a day or two was hell, between the brain zaps and bouts of crying I was a mess. The downsides: my libido disappeared. COMPLETELY. Gone. I used to have a very healthy sexual appetite. I also gained about 60lbs while taking this pill. I can't blame it all on the pill, but it didn't help. Overall it was a great mood enhancer, but take it with warning.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Beulah888:

I began taking Citalopram while having severe headaches: the haze caused by the aches gave me severe anxiety- so I began taking this while finding a solution. I'd always had a bit of anxiety, and bouts of moderate depression, and I noticed after about three weeks of taking Citalopram that I consistently felt glad to be alive- for the first time ever. Living, the tasks associated with it- often feel like a chore, leading to a general cynicism for me. I began at 10 mg: and the new found joy of life was accompanied by a constant need to sleep. 12 hours a day- and lethargy in between. The drowsiness was so bad I couldn't study, so I had to switch to 5 mg. I'm less tired, less happy and more anxious. Compromise. I also take 25 mg Nortriptyline.

August 6, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by Ladydi4922:

When I first started taking it, it really helped me but now it's been over a month and I feel like I did before. I take 40 mg and I need help it's like I am taking nothing at all.

June 9, 2014 7:17 AM

Review by melissa9:

I am 28 year old female. I was prescribed 10 mg. I read a lot of reviews on Celexa where people said they felt a difference the first week and was starting to get really disappointed when I felt no different in that time frame. I have been on it for exactly 7 weeks now and am just now starting to notice a difference. My interests have returned, I have more energy, and I am able to focus. Overall I am definitely happier and don't feel down in the dumps anymore. The only side effect I had was it made me very tired in the beginning but that has gone away completely. For me, Celexa is working!

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Bk4 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Helped with anxiety but not as much for depression. I had to get off this medicine because it caused me to put on 100lbs in 2 years. I've been off for a year and lost 80lbs. Kind of defeats the purpose of medicine if it causes such weight gain.

May 17, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by ilovebrutus:

I was diagnosed with major depression 6 years ago when I was 18 years old. I was started on 100mg of Zoloft. You hear the commercials about side effects of SSRIs about how they can "increase suicidal thoughts in children and young adults". Well Zoloft did that to me and made my depression even worse until I eventually was suicidal and was hospitalized. Then they switched me to 60mg Celexa and I have never had any problems with it! I've been on it for 5 1/2 years and the only side effect I have is low libido. The FDA lowered the max recommended dose to 40mg so my doctor lowered my dose too. I have been okay on 40mg but I wish I was still allowed to have the 60mg. I wonder why the max dose got lowered?

May 17, 2014 11:14 AM

Review by Darktragedy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Gave me horrible dreams - talking in my sleep.

May 13, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by CedarSage87401:

Works great. I feel like myself again- positive, energetic, interest in activities has returned.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 10:54 PM

Review by AliDianne (taken for less than 1 month):

I think I waited to long to start taking this medication. I too along with many others was against "happy pills" as I used to call them, I started having anxiety attacks at work and my emotions were starting to bleed into every aspect of my life, I had to do something. Depression is sneaky... you don't realize what its doing to you until you can step out of it and take a breath a real clear minded breath. That what Celexa has been for me. It made me soo tired at the beginning and I didn't eat much, but after about a week I noticed I was not crying all day like before. I cant say I feel super happy all the time but I notice that I am not as sad and I have energy to do more than lay on the couch on the weekends!

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 9:48 AM

Review by mpmpmp (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been dealing with severe anxiety and depression for 16 years and it keeps getting worse and worse. I have no drive or ambition, lost my girl friend and job came to an end. It finally made me realize that I have to do something about this problem. I have been totally against medicines and have always disregarded mental illness but I now think it is mental illness that has put me in this terrible place. I have started taking Celexa 10 (20mg) days ago and am so excited to see the results. I have not noticed much response yet but I am generally less negative and have more excitement for things that I once loved.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 1:50 PM

Review by Verton:

I've had stints of anxiety and depression throughout my life. It got much worse when I got to college. It took me two years until my family and friends wanted me to seek help. My doctor put me on 10mg of Celexa a day and I felt it the first day! Felt so much better and more productive. I'm back to my normal self and not scared/sad to experience the things I used to enjoy.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 2:32 AM

Review by imhavingagreatday (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been diagnosed with moderate depression in December. I've been in therapy with a psychologist since October. I lost my job, didn't go to school, broke up with my boyfriend, I was pretty much a mess. I had no motivation whatsoever. I basically secluded myself. I started Celexa 3 weeks ago and WOW oh WOW. I feel so happy. People noticed that I've changed and seriously the first week on Celexa was hard but it's so worth it. Stick with it, give it a chance. The only problem I have with Celexa is that it takes me forever to achieve orgasm but whatever I still have a sex drive which is very good. I got my boyfriend back, yay. Now I'm back to school, found a new job. I mean I got my life back on track and I am so happy with the results.

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2014 10:29 AM

Review by ash12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Celexa for 2 months. I was very reluctant and had tried several in the past (couldn't get past the side effects). I didn't feel great the first couple weeks, but it wasn't awful. After 3 weeks, I felt better, more relaxed, and happier. I didn't feel much different, just started enjoying things more (as they should be). I smile more and laugh more - I get excited about things (I haven't felt excitement in a LONG time). I'm so happy I stuck with this one and it has truly worked for me. Also, I've had trouble accepting an anti-depressant as a treatment option because I have no reason to be depressed - great life, kids, job, husband. But, I was. I guess it's my brain chemistry, but it is what it is. This works!

203 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2013 9:50 PM

Review by brix (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have absolutely no complaints about Celexa. I've been on 20mg for about a month and a half now, and I feel like a huge weight has just been lifted off of me. I spend so much less of my day thinking about things that upset me, and I'm much more capable of just letting negative thoughts go and not letting them affect me. As a college student, I've dealt been dealing with a tremendous amount of social and academic stress. I was very weary about getting on an antidepressant out of fear of being "judged", but in retrospect getting on Celexa may be the best decision I've ever made. I couldn't help but to post on here and share my experience. It certainly took a little while to kick in, but be patient. I am feeling happy like I haven't in years!

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 8:42 PM

Review by Rosy 2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When i first started citalpram i felt pretty bad for about a week. My moods and sleep were greatly distupted. However a couple weeks into the treatment everything was greatly improved. I felt so much happier and able to handle life's challenges. Even my family and friends commented that i didnt seem as moody and irritable! Unfortunately i have had to switch to a new drug because after taking celexa for about a year i began having major memory problems. Hopefully this would not happen to everyone taking this because the benefits were amazing!!! By the way i was at max dose 40 mg when the memory problems started.

November 9, 2013 10:53 PM

Review by depression.hurts (taken for 10 years or more):

Great for Depression.

November 6, 2013 6:57 PM

Review by pyrofatty (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on Celexa for over a year, I was quite unstable when I started Celexa but after a few months between Celexa and Geodon I evened out to a pretty much numb stable state. I guess not feeling is better then feeling bad things all the time. I'm not sure how to explain it but between my meds I usually feel like an observer of my body, not fully connected to any experience I am in...dreamlike I suppose. Now I have to switch because of the interaction between the two, so we'll hope the next one is at least equivalent.

November 6, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by kristyl111685:

Been taking it 4 days,i feel less sad but so thirsty n cant eat or sleep...not giving up yet because i havnt cried much and bdfore i cried everyday.n then was bitchy...thats been ok....we will see i will update at a later time....

November 3, 2013 2:29 AM