User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

Review by AliDianne (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I think I waited to long to start taking this medication. I too along with many others was against "happy pills" as I used to call them, I started having anxiety attacks at work and my emotions were starting to bleed into every aspect of my life, I had to do something. Depression is sneaky... you don't realize what its doing to you until you can step out of it and take a breath a real clear minded breath. That what Celexa has been for me. It made me soo tired at the beginning and I didn't eat much, but after about a week I noticed I was not crying all day like before. I cant say I feel super happy all the time but I notice that I am not as sad and I have energy to do more than lay on the couch on the weekends!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2014 9:48 AM
Review by mpmpmp (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been dealing with severe anxiety and depression for 16 years and it keeps getting worse and worse. I have no drive or ambition, lost my girl friend and job came to an end. It finally made me realize that I have to do something about this problem. I have been totally against medicines and have always disregarded mental illness but I now think it is mental illness that has put me in this terrible place. I have started taking Celexa 10 (20mg) days ago and am so excited to see the results. I have not noticed much response yet but I am generally less negative and have more excitement for things that I once loved.

February 10, 2014 1:50 PM
Review by Verton: User Rating:

I've had stints of anxiety and depression throughout my life. It got much worse when I got to college. It took me two years until my family and friends wanted me to seek help. My doctor put me on 10mg of Celexa a day and I felt it the first day! Felt so much better and more productive. I'm back to my normal self and not scared/sad to experience the things I used to enjoy.

February 10, 2014 2:32 AM
Review by imhavingagreatday (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been diagnosed with moderate depression in December. I've been in therapy with a psychologist since October. I lost my job, didn't go to school, broke up with my boyfriend, I was pretty much a mess. I had no motivation whatsoever. I basically secluded myself. I started Celexa 3 weeks ago and WOW oh WOW. I feel so happy. People noticed that I've changed and seriously the first week on Celexa was hard but it's so worth it. Stick with it, give it a chance. The only problem I have with Celexa is that it takes me forever to achieve orgasm but whatever I still have a sex drive which is very good. I got my boyfriend back, yay. Now I'm back to school, found a new job. I mean I got my life back on track and I am so happy with the results.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 4, 2014 10:29 AM
Review by ash12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on Celexa for 2 months. I was very reluctant and had tried several in the past (couldn't get past the side effects). I didn't feel great the first couple weeks, but it wasn't awful. After 3 weeks, I felt better, more relaxed, and happier. I didn't feel much different, just started enjoying things more (as they should be). I smile more and laugh more - I get excited about things (I haven't felt excitement in a LONG time). I'm so happy I stuck with this one and it has truly worked for me. Also, I've had trouble accepting an anti-depressant as a treatment option because I have no reason to be depressed - great life, kids, job, husband. But, I was. I guess it's my brain chemistry, but it is what it is. This works!

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 9, 2013 9:50 PM
Review by brix (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have absolutely no complaints about Celexa. I've been on 20mg for about a month and a half now, and I feel like a huge weight has just been lifted off of me. I spend so much less of my day thinking about things that upset me, and I'm much more capable of just letting negative thoughts go and not letting them affect me. As a college student, I've dealt been dealing with a tremendous amount of social and academic stress. I was very weary about getting on an antidepressant out of fear of being "judged", but in retrospect getting on Celexa may be the best decision I've ever made. I couldn't help but to post on here and share my experience. It certainly took a little while to kick in, but be patient. I am feeling happy like I haven't in years!

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 20, 2013 8:42 PM
Review by Rosy 2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

When i first started citalpram i felt pretty bad for about a week. My moods and sleep were greatly distupted. However a couple weeks into the treatment everything was greatly improved. I felt so much happier and able to handle life's challenges. Even my family and friends commented that i didnt seem as moody and irritable! Unfortunately i have had to switch to a new drug because after taking celexa for about a year i began having major memory problems. Hopefully this would not happen to everyone taking this because the benefits were amazing!!! By the way i was at max dose 40 mg when the memory problems started.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2013 10:53 PM
Review by depression.hurts (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Great for Depression.

November 6, 2013 6:57 PM
Review by pyrofatty (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have been on Celexa for over a year, I was quite unstable when I started Celexa but after a few months between Celexa and Geodon I evened out to a pretty much numb stable state. I guess not feeling is better then feeling bad things all the time. I'm not sure how to explain it but between my meds I usually feel like an observer of my body, not fully connected to any experience I am in...dreamlike I suppose. Now I have to switch because of the interaction between the two, so we'll hope the next one is at least equivalent.

November 6, 2013 5:43 PM
Review by kristyl111685: User Rating:

Been taking it 4 days,i feel less sad but so thirsty n cant eat or sleep...not giving up yet because i havnt cried much and bdfore i cried everyday.n then was bitchy...thats been ok....we will see i will update at a later time....

November 3, 2013 2:29 AM
Review by K-Murr: User Rating:

I've been on 10 mg of Citalopram for 6 months. Honestly, I've always been skeptical regarding anti-depressants (SSRIs), but once I quit being stubborn and finally started on this medication...just, thank goodness. Citalopram has essentially saved my life. I feel like the me I SHOULD be; as in, this drug didn't turn me emotionless/zombielike; it simply enhanced me and has brought me back to life. I'm happier, more confident, and so thankful that I've gotten myself out of an abyss of chronic sadness. I have experienced a few side effects such as SUPER vivid dreams and more difficulty self-lubricating before sex, but in the scope of things it's totally manageable. Also, I did NOT gain weight, so don't let that possibility scare you off!!

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 29, 2013 11:31 PM
Review by anon5003 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

After trying prozac (didn't like) and wellbutrin (better than prozac but still not terrific), was given Celexa by a new doc. I have dysthmia that increases in winter months (probably due to less light where I live, during the shorter days from Oct-March). Celexa gave me an almost instant 'happy' boost and I haven't been off it for more than 6 mos. for a long time. Pros: more energy, no crying spells when daylight lessens during winter months. Cons: did not work for my GAD (I take alprazolam for that), libido is almost non-existent, and my emotions are somewhat blunted (meaning, I don't really cry often, when before I used to be emotional over a lot of things...but I can take that!) Impact on libido is the most annoying side effect.

October 29, 2013 7:18 PM
Review by ashlandbridge (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Never feel down or tired..absolute feel wonderful

October 27, 2013 2:05 PM
Review by Ang1215: User Rating:

I was on celexa for about a month. I started feeling very paranoid and started showing psychotic symptoms that I've never had before. I ended up in the hospital for a week. I still have anxiety problems to this day. Be careful with this medication.

October 26, 2013 9:13 AM
Review by guest01 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I started taking Celexa because I told my doctor my mood swings were crazy. It was depression. Well it helped big time! I've been on it for over a year 10mg but sometimes I take 20mg. I am starting to feel more sad now though but its my living situation that is making me sad. Celexa is a great medicine although I never thought I would take anti-depressants. Anyhow I was super skinny, it helped me gain weight and keep it on. So yes you will gain weight on it but other then that it has worked for me until now. Now I don't feel happy but I did when I started taking it.

October 12, 2013 3:15 PM
Review by Susieqsdogs: User Rating:

My doctor put me on this medicine for depression. I have known for quite a while I was depressed but I never told anyone. I feel better already. Took my first dose today. It works quickly. I am not crying all day, not worrying all day and I feel better TODAY. This is not in my mind. It really does work. I imagine within a week I will notice a really big difference. Depression had caused me not to want to do anything at all. Going to work was even almost impossible. Now I found some help.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 18, 2013 6:07 PM
Review by birdy487: User Rating:

I have been taking this medication for years. At first it was great it helped me a lot with my temper and sad feelings. I have had some ups and downs with it. At one time I was taking 2.5 pills and was having trouble remembering things, and extreme trouble driving due to drowsiness. I cut back to one and tried to go off them but my moods started to swing out of control. Now I am on one and half tabs, and am feeling depressed again. My eyes are watery and I feel like crying a lot but that may be due to the fall coming on.

September 5, 2013 9:30 PM
Review by 746b ( no one calls me that): User Rating:

I am 14 years old and I started taking Celexa a few weeks ago for depression and I took it a couple years back for anxiety. It has worked good I have been feeling depressed since the third grade and have been having uncontrolled regretful thoughts for a while. This works and I am feeling better. It gave me such a weird feeling which I think is happiness but anyway it's new thanks to this medication.

August 30, 2013 6:40 PM
Review by Feeling a little better (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

The depression, feelings of worthlessness, suicidal thoughts and chronic anger have all eased somewhat since I started taking Celexa (10mg). I've been on it for about two months and have noticed a marked difference. Sleeping okay after insomnia at first. No decrease in sex drive (male), but definite decrease in ability. Hoping that doesn't last. Although some days I feel like my old self, mostly I feel better. Life has become more clear to me, my relationship with my wife appears to be improving, and this has allowed me to begin forgiving myself. Long road ahead. I wish you all the best.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 23, 2013 6:01 PM
Review by wil.yumm: User Rating:

Little groggy when I take it at night, but that's all I noticed.

August 13, 2013 6:52 PM
Review by MollyCey: User Rating:

Had severe postpartum depression after my oldest was born. I thought that my experience was "normal" and due to the daily fatigue that new parents experience. Halfway through my second pregnancy I spoke with my OB about the crying/anxiety and sadness I experienced after her birth and she decided to put me on 10 mg Celexa; what a God send! With my husband deployed and a scary pregnancy this was exactly what I needed to cope and prepare with the new changes. I didn't feel so hopeless after he was born and the overwhelming feeling that had plagued me before was gone. I now take 20 mg to deal with my SADD and hectic job working in a Level 1 Trauma ER and it does the trick. I love Celexa and owe my positive parenting and job to the company. Thank you.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 1, 2013 8:33 PM
Review by Happy:) (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I would say I have seen a complete turn around in my depression. I use 40mg of Celexa and Xanax proscribed three times a day if needed. I usually take two Xanax before bed to fall asleep. I've been on it a year and can say its been a a blessing. Didn't start that way! I chose to stick through some of the side effects and gradually increased my dosage. From 10, 20, 30 now 40 mg which I take every morning. Now I feel the balance. When in need, I spoke with my Doctor to increase if I was not feeling to my full potential of the medicines. Still working on my anxiety around people! Doing better from where I started. GOOD LUCK ALL!

July 27, 2013 12:29 AM
Review by celexa (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Positive mood changes after using for several weeks. However, on this medication sex drive is practically non-existent for me (Male).

July 24, 2013 5:39 PM
Review by ldd513: User Rating:

25yr. Female. I started taking 10mg of Celexa after experiencing severe depression. I was having harmful thoughts, insomnia and anxiety in all aspects of life. I finally succumbed to the fact, I needed to take medication because therapy, exercise, positive thoughts and other outlets were not working. The first few weeks sucked. I had severe insomnia, couldn't eat and felt ramped up and clenched my teeth when I did sleep. I never had the zombie experience though. But a few weeks later, the world seemed more clear & happy. Celexa did nothing for my anxiety, I had to add Klonopin, but it worked for my mood swings and depression. I would go on it again if I had to. Just remember everyone has different brain chemistry.

July 15, 2013 6:39 PM
Review by sec1 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I had terrible side effects from taking Tamoxifen. I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, could not sleep due to hot flashes, cried all the time, often just felt like I had the flu. My oncologist suggested I try citalopram. My world is wonderful! I feel better than I ever have. Not only did it help tremendously with the side effects of Tamoxifen, but it has also taken care of anxiety and depression that I had been living with, but never did anything about it. I have no side effects from the citalopram, except weight gain. I am working on that, though. All my family and friends are amazed at the difference in me. I have been taking 20mg for over a year.

July 9, 2013 7:23 AM