User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

"This medicine has been very helpful to me. I have always been very reluctant to try medications. This medication has stopped the crying everyday, the constant anger, and helped significantly with anxiety. I have been on Celexa for almost 3 months and I feel a little better everyday, it just takes time. I've had night sweats, light headaches and not slept as well as I used to since starting this medication. However, for me, the benefits are outweighing the side effects at the moment and I will continue to use Celexa until that is no longer the case."

19piper91 April 24, 2015

"I love this medication is has changed my life. Love it love it love it....."

Me myself and I April 24, 2015

"I was hesitant for years to ever be put on medicine for anxiety/depression, but once it had significantly gotten worst into my "adult" years (mid-20's), I decided it was time. I cannot say enough amazing things about Celexa. I have been on it for a little over two weeks (10 mg starting out and now 20mg) and wow. My only regret is that I didn't get put on this way sooner! My emotional state is so much better, I am rarely irritated, and I can deal with everything so much better without going absolutely crazy. It's truly amazing. I did have side effects at first- headache, light-headedness, going to the bathroom a lot, stomach upset, lump in my throat, clinching my jaw, but it was worth all that once I got past it!"

Emma L April 16, 2015

"So, a little over a year ago (20 year old female) I was diagnosed with depression. My doctor gave me Celexa 20 mg. The first week I had dry mouth and nausea, but that was about it for side effects, they went away quickly. Celexa made me feel more in control of my emotions, happier, and less tearful. After 8 months, I switched to 40 mg, it didn't do very much and 4 months later, I had gained 15 lbs. So I switched back to 20 mg. It has been over a year now and I feel like the medication has stopped working, I'm feeling depressed again, sleeping a lot, more sadness. So I'm going to see my doctor and switch. Overall, for a first medication, it was good. Just definitely watch your weight and what you're eating!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2015

"I can't say enough good things about this medication. I've fought mild-to-moderate depression on-and-off for twenty years. I've done counseling and read tons of books. I also tried Paxil years ago but found it numbing. Celexa has been WONDERFUL. I'm on 20mg a day. The crying spells, feelings of doubt and despair, and constant negative thoughts have all gone away. I still have up and down moods and feelings but they feel normal and manageable...like what regular people must feel like. I feel much more confident, happy and engaged with life. As for side effects...not to be crude, but the only side effect I've experienced is delayed orgasm and, as a man, this is more of a benefit than a problem ;-) I highly recommend this medication..."

Can't say enough good things (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

"I am taking Celexa 20 mg for four months now, and my depression is better I am not crying every single moment I still have anxiety, but for depression works☺️Also I am more sociable now it takes a few months though"

Gelly March 26, 2015

"I have been on Celexa for over 6 years now. For a long time, I have been on 20mg a day and I feel quite normal for the most part. I do not feel like crying and I do not feel suicidal every single day anymore BUT i do have episodes of that at least once a month, lasting for just several days. I cut down to 10mg for a year but I noticed that I had non-stop crying and sensitivity more often so I am not back on 20mg. I would not say that it makes me feel extremely happy but for the most part, I felt normal. I like that it did not make any changes to my weight and it did not lower my sex drive at all in comparison to other reviews on this medication. I do, however, noticed that my memory and focus is not as great as before I started Celexa."

22femalecanadian March 15, 2015

"Helps post traumatic stress disorder that has turned into chronic depression and irritability. Side effects is nausea, appetite gain and tiredness, in my case, but I also have hypothyroidism and clogged arteries. Helps enough to be worth it for good in my case."

KatVonFarsta March 13, 2015

"At first I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg which I cut in half to 25mg. I'm sensitive to medications and this being my first SSRI it really threw me for a loop. Severe derealization and anxiety that lasted all day. So I quit the Zoloft and was put on Celexa and Buspar, the Buspar is useless for me. I once again had bad derealization. So after giving the Buspar two chances I gave it up. I started Celexa at 10mg. First day samething, derealization, anxiety, etc. So I cut the pill in half to 5mg, helped me get used to medication really well. I now take it every night at 8pm. I'm currently taking 15mg, about to take 20mg after 3 more doses. I'm starting to feel emotions and connections with myself that I haven't felt in years. So far, so good"

TO'Leary (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

"I finally realized over a decade of having suicidal thoughts and images continue in my head and chronic emotional pain that would always keep coming back strong that I needed help. Since I've used Celexa it has honestly changed my life. I still feel emotions. I'm still sad sometimes. But I see the light at the the end of the tunnel every day now. I am grateful every day. I never want to go back to how I felt. For so long I was in denial, but it truly did help me."

Satisfied User (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

"My OBGYN suggested I take this instead of Wellbutrin and Zoloft. It helped but not like the other two. I switched back as soon as I could."

Nikorah March 3, 2015

"I found citaprolam 10 mg dose using for three months has stopped my gambling addiction straight away. I also stopped feeling paranoid and depressed."

mowergoalie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2015

"Within a few weeks of starting Celexa my depression disappeared almost completely. The side effects that are the most noticeable for me are tiredness, weight gain, and sensitivity to light. The stuff does its job, but the side effects are a bit hard to deal with."

Haylie S (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015

"Celexa was a miracle for me. I was struggling with debilitating depression and anxiety, but after 6 weeks on Celexa, I feel almost myself again. It does take the full 6-8weeks to kick in, so make sure you give it at least a few months to get all the benefits."

Miss Michelle Renee (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking it for 8 months. I noticed a dramatic difference. Most negative thoughts are gone. But I still have times. A lot. Where I think and feel the way I did before. I know this isn't magical and going to take the pain away. Just wanted you all to know that it helps a lot. "

justbeinghonest14 January 17, 2015

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started Celexa last April after having tried numerous other antidepressants. It took a good 6 weeks for me to really get the full effect of the medication, but it has changed my life. I found it to be subtle, effective, and lasting without any side effects. I really think it's a matter of your personal brain chemistry whether an antidepressant will work for you. It's worth it to keep trying to find one that fits for you."

weeshy January 6, 2015

"I've suffered from depression/social anxiety for years. After a recent breakup, my depression spiraled out if control. My doc put me on Remeron for about a month which did nothing Except help me sleep. In the past I've taken: Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Lexapro and Buspar. I was just prescribed 20mg Celexa a week ago and WOW-the constant racing cynical voices have been silenced-instead of picturing worst case scenarios I'm picturing best case scenarios-I haven't felt this "at peace" feeling for SO LONG. I'm excited, because the dark cloud is lifting more by the day. I haven't experienced any side effects."

Keepit100 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Along with Celexa at 20mg, for about 5 weeks, I take 150mg of Wellbutrin, and 40 mg of methadone. I've had several back surgeries so live with chronic pain. Along with an improvement of depression and anxiety, I noticed that my appetite has decreased. No weight gain, maybe lost a couple pounds. I noticed improvement on the first couple days! I've tried Prozac & Welbutrin, individually & together, but not much help. I recommend giving Celexa a try over any other medicines."

Flowly improving (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2014

"I just started taking Celexa and it worked really good. I'm happy all the time and my marriage is getting better."

allysmo3 December 19, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Celexa is a literally a magic pill, for me. 20 minutes, tops & I feel like myself again. I've been taking it for about 4 years for 1 or 2 months a couple of times a year. The holidays are always bad. I get so sick of crying all the time. Sobbing, actually. I've tried a few other antidepressants but nothing works like Celexa. For me. May not be for everyone. Other people may need to take Celexa for a longer or more regular period of time & it can take up to 2-3 weeks for the medication to completely work, for a lot of people. Ask your doctor & give it a try."

Dawn_Dawn1968 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 8, 2014

"Simply put a "MIRACLE"."

JJen_rose57 October 17, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Celexa has changed my life in 5 days! Thanks to a doctor who finally understood what was wrong with me after suffering excruciating physical pain for at least 10 or more years. I feel lIke a new person. Have had more energy in the last 5 days than I have for 5 years! Suffering from some insomnia but I am sure that will go away. - 51 year old female"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2014

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started Celexa a month ago. At first, tremors, dry mouth, shaking, and dead libido. After a week, my jaw was petrified, my teeth hurt, was always biting my tongue. My energy was gone. Was sleeping 9hrs at night, and 3-4 hrs nap in the afternoon. I was a zombie. I just switch to Wellbutrin, and I pray for better results. "

Lisabel (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2014

"I was finally diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety last week. I have been suffering since childhood, but only recently obtained help. The doctors prescribed me Celexa. I've been on it for a few days now and I feel a noticeable difference. I wonder if that's even possible; I've read everywhere that it takes several weeks to notice some changes. Placebo effect maybe? Anyways, I appreciate having a more positive outlook on life and I even found the side effect (lightheadedness) a tad pleasant."

KeeksterReekster (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had the same experience as the last post, had been in a state of worsening depression for months, about 2 days after starting Celexa it was like I snapped out of it, and the last four months has been a bad dream. I too worry that its to much to fast, its supposed to take weeks at least, however apparently for some patients and there's no real reason for it, do experience notable improvements within days, the working theory are those with more manic like depression are more apt to it working in shorter terms but its not really known why."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2014