User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

"I started this medication due to depression and uncontrollable panic attacks and anxiety. I started on 10mg and had very bad nausea, very tired and no appetite. The first two weeks were the same but the definitely by the 3rd week I could feel by body calming down and was quite pleased. Unfortunately, I started having awful tingling and burning in my arms, mostly the left. Now I have titrated off and now on Effexor, but I am still having the burning and tingling in the arm but have had only 1 panic attack. The first two weeks are hard but hang in there. It will be worth it!!!! I wanted to give up as well but I had to think about my family and that pushed me through. I'm not 100% but I can drive and socialize now without getting as panicked."

Be Patient July 25, 2015

"Felt better in 2 days ! This is a miracle for me. Suffered with terrible depression for years. Also had severe anxiety and panic attacks. I have NO side effects from Celexa. It is WONDERFUL from my personal experience."

Brook Smit July 19, 2015

"Week1 dizziness, nausea, no appetite, foggy feeling, stomach growling. Week 2 same as before plus sweating, bad GERD,and insomnia. Almost stopped but decided to stick it out. Week 3 everything slowly disappeared. Now on week 4, much calmer, lost weight about 8 lbs, blood pressure dropped to normal readings, I have more energy now I am walking everyday, still feel like myself, not numb like some reported . Reason started was I had 2 deaths in a month and was losing it. In the past I have tried Prozac, lexapro, effexor, Zoloft and many others nothing has worked as well as celexa. My advice give it time, be patient . Like many things it's worth waiting for. Good Luck to all!!"

1happiergirl July 5, 2015

"I started celexa 2 weeks ago and its been my life saver I had been depressed from my teens and never wanted help I refused I then had my little girl a year half ago become very angry and emotional but was in a bad relationship I was so sure I didn't need help and no pills to make me better about a month ago my partner robbed and left me for another women I became an emotional wreck just cried and cried going inside myself were family and work friends noticed and begged me to go get some help I went to doctors he gave me celexa and another calmer drug lozapam I think and within a few days they worked so much calmer no more crying or suidical thoughts I feel dumb no emotions in some way helped me a lot I feel a lot better person for my child"

Emma Louise June 15, 2015

"For those people considering taking Celexa, I also read other people's reviews and comments. It scared me, as I had never taken anything to cope with this depression that has been low lying for most of my life. I thought I could just cope, but coming from a family of reactive communications, I just thought that's how I was. But then I realized when I'm super stressed I feel myself hyper focused on the problem, and not the solution. My solution was to self soothe with food and give into laziness. I came to the conclusion that maybe if I can find something to smooth out these harsh feelings (edges), I would have the energy to give to myself to get back to gym, make better decisions when I'm stressed."

Necomer (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2015

"I had severe depression when we moved from a house I loved in the country to a smaller house I hated by the river in a little suburb that I'd always detested. Celexa works. Most definitely but it works too well. After being on it for 11 years, I became emotionless. I had no feelings either way. It also helped me to put on 50 pounds. At 61, I decided to stop it. I weaned my self off by cutting the pills in half, then in quarters, then none. The side effects are the worst of any medication I've ever experienced....dizziness, SEVERE depression, SEVERE happiness, experiences in my head that I can only describe as "zits" that were instantaneous moments of dizziness or a feeling of a bug "zipping" by your head, fatigue, jitters."

OldOhioian (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

"I have been on this for a week. Day 1. Blurred vision and feeling like I'm in the matrix zoned out after 2 hours and severe nausea. I wanted to quit. But it calmed me and I felt unbothered by things what would normally make me cry. I take it at night and wake up with SEVERE anxiety as I had before taking it but I can feel my body trying to compress it. I pray and hope it gives me the happy energetic feeling I need. Right now it's keeping me calm but I still can't get out of the bed"

NotsohappyGoLucky (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

"After a tragic death in my family my depression got worse. I did not realize I had depression until this tragedy occurred. I would cry every day to exhaustion -- until I had nothing left -- just a lifeless emptiness. My doctor put me on citalopram and I am on 30mg's/day. I feel so much better!! -- no real highs and no real lows. I have tried to go medication free but it is not meant to be. I will have to be on this for life and I am thankful for this drug."

Anonymous June 5, 2015

"Menopausal onset Depression, UGH. I would have cried my life away without Celexa. No side effects for me except a normal person again...."

jack mcmick May 31, 2015

"I have depression and high anxiety, I have had these most of my life but refused treatment. Now having a son of my own I have realized I need to be better for him. I have only been on it a week and have noticed a lot of improvements! I no longer feel upset about my life,I can talk to my child like he should be talked to and not because im stressed and anxious all the time. I have had a few side affects so far. Weird dreams, headaches, muscle spasms, dry mouth, and tiredness. but to feel "normal" is worth it. I final feel like im going to be ok."

LIZZIE IZZY May 27, 2015

"This medicine has been very helpful to me. I have always been very reluctant to try medications. This medication has stopped the crying everyday, the constant anger, and helped significantly with anxiety. I have been on Celexa for almost 3 months and I feel a little better everyday, it just takes time. I've had night sweats, light headaches and not slept as well as I used to since starting this medication. However, for me, the benefits are outweighing the side effects at the moment and I will continue to use Celexa until that is no longer the case."

19piper91 April 24, 2015

"I love this medication is has changed my life. Love it love it love it....."

Me myself and I April 24, 2015

"I was hesitant for years to ever be put on medicine for anxiety/depression, but once it had significantly gotten worst into my "adult" years (mid-20's), I decided it was time. I cannot say enough amazing things about Celexa. I have been on it for a little over two weeks (10 mg starting out and now 20mg) and wow. My only regret is that I didn't get put on this way sooner! My emotional state is so much better, I am rarely irritated, and I can deal with everything so much better without going absolutely crazy. It's truly amazing. I did have side effects at first- headache, light-headedness, going to the bathroom a lot, stomach upset, lump in my throat, clinching my jaw, but it was worth all that once I got past it!"

Emma L April 16, 2015

"So, a little over a year ago (20 year old female) I was diagnosed with depression. My doctor gave me Celexa 20 mg. The first week I had dry mouth and nausea, but that was about it for side effects, they went away quickly. Celexa made me feel more in control of my emotions, happier, and less tearful. After 8 months, I switched to 40 mg, it didn't do very much and 4 months later, I had gained 15 lbs. So I switched back to 20 mg. It has been over a year now and I feel like the medication has stopped working, I'm feeling depressed again, sleeping a lot, more sadness. So I'm going to see my doctor and switch. Overall, for a first medication, it was good. Just definitely watch your weight and what you're eating!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2015

"I can't say enough good things about this medication. I've fought mild-to-moderate depression on-and-off for twenty years. I've done counseling and read tons of books. I also tried Paxil years ago but found it numbing. Celexa has been WONDERFUL. I'm on 20mg a day. The crying spells, feelings of doubt and despair, and constant negative thoughts have all gone away. I still have up and down moods and feelings but they feel normal and manageable...like what regular people must feel like. I feel much more confident, happy and engaged with life. As for side effects...not to be crude, but the only side effect I've experienced is delayed orgasm and, as a man, this is more of a benefit than a problem ;-) I highly recommend this medication..."

Can't say enough good things (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

"I am taking Celexa 20 mg for four months now, and my depression is better I am not crying every single moment I still have anxiety, but for depression works☺️Also I am more sociable now it takes a few months though"

Gelly March 26, 2015

"I have been on Celexa for over 6 years now. For a long time, I have been on 20mg a day and I feel quite normal for the most part. I do not feel like crying and I do not feel suicidal every single day anymore BUT i do have episodes of that at least once a month, lasting for just several days. I cut down to 10mg for a year but I noticed that I had non-stop crying and sensitivity more often so I am not back on 20mg. I would not say that it makes me feel extremely happy but for the most part, I felt normal. I like that it did not make any changes to my weight and it did not lower my sex drive at all in comparison to other reviews on this medication. I do, however, noticed that my memory and focus is not as great as before I started Celexa."

22femalecanadian March 15, 2015

"Helps post traumatic stress disorder that has turned into chronic depression and irritability. Side effects is nausea, appetite gain and tiredness, in my case, but I also have hypothyroidism and clogged arteries. Helps enough to be worth it for good in my case."

KatVonFarsta March 13, 2015

"At first I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg which I cut in half to 25mg. I'm sensitive to medications and this being my first SSRI it really threw me for a loop. Severe derealization and anxiety that lasted all day. So I quit the Zoloft and was put on Celexa and Buspar, the Buspar is useless for me. I once again had bad derealization. So after giving the Buspar two chances I gave it up. I started Celexa at 10mg. First day samething, derealization, anxiety, etc. So I cut the pill in half to 5mg, helped me get used to medication really well. I now take it every night at 8pm. I'm currently taking 15mg, about to take 20mg after 3 more doses. I'm starting to feel emotions and connections with myself that I haven't felt in years. So far, so good"

TO'Leary (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

"I finally realized over a decade of having suicidal thoughts and images continue in my head and chronic emotional pain that would always keep coming back strong that I needed help. Since I've used Celexa it has honestly changed my life. I still feel emotions. I'm still sad sometimes. But I see the light at the the end of the tunnel every day now. I am grateful every day. I never want to go back to how I felt. For so long I was in denial, but it truly did help me."

Satisfied User (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

"My OBGYN suggested I take this instead of Wellbutrin and Zoloft. It helped but not like the other two. I switched back as soon as I could."

Nikorah March 3, 2015

"I found citaprolam 10 mg dose using for three months has stopped my gambling addiction straight away. I also stopped feeling paranoid and depressed."

mowergoalie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2015

"Within a few weeks of starting Celexa my depression disappeared almost completely. The side effects that are the most noticeable for me are tiredness, weight gain, and sensitivity to light. The stuff does its job, but the side effects are a bit hard to deal with."

Haylie S (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015

"Celexa was a miracle for me. I was struggling with debilitating depression and anxiety, but after 6 weeks on Celexa, I feel almost myself again. It does take the full 6-8weeks to kick in, so make sure you give it at least a few months to get all the benefits."

Miss Michelle Renee (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking it for 8 months. I noticed a dramatic difference. Most negative thoughts are gone. But I still have times. A lot. Where I think and feel the way I did before. I know this isn't magical and going to take the pain away. Just wanted you all to know that it helps a lot. "

justbeinghonest14 January 17, 2015

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next