User Reviews for Celexa

7.5
Summary of Celexa reviews 379 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Celexa

Review by K-Murr:

For Depression: I've been on 10 mg of Citalopram for 6 months. Honestly, I've always been skeptical regarding anti-depressants (SSRIs), but once I quit being stubborn and finally started on this medication...just, thank goodness. Citalopram has essentially saved my life. I feel like the me I SHOULD be; as in, this drug didn't turn me emotionless/zombielike; it simply enhanced me and has brought me back to life. I'm happier, more confident, and so thankful that I've gotten myself out of an abyss of chronic sadness. I have experienced a few side effects such as SUPER vivid dreams and more difficulty self-lubricating before sex, but in the scope of things it's totally manageable. Also, I did NOT gain weight, so don't let that possibility scare you off!!

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2013 11:31 PM

Review by anon5003 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: After trying prozac (didn't like) and wellbutrin (better than prozac but still not terrific), was given Celexa by a new doc. I have dysthmia that increases in winter months (probably due to less light where I live, during the shorter days from Oct-March). Celexa gave me an almost instant 'happy' boost and I haven't been off it for more than 6 mos. for a long time. Pros: more energy, no crying spells when daylight lessens during winter months. Cons: did not work for my GAD (I take alprazolam for that), libido is almost non-existent, and my emotions are somewhat blunted (meaning, I don't really cry often, when before I used to be emotional over a lot of things...but I can take that!) Impact on libido is the most annoying side effect.

October 29, 2013 7:18 PM

Review by ashlandbridge (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Never feel down or tired..absolute feel wonderful

October 27, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by Ang1215:

For Depression: I was on celexa for about a month. I started feeling very paranoid and started showing psychotic symptoms that I've never had before. I ended up in the hospital for a week. I still have anxiety problems to this day. Be careful with this medication.

October 26, 2013 9:13 AM

Review by IndigoIvy:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have suffered from treatment-resistant generalized anxiety disorder for over 15 years and have tried every treatment in the book (except for Celexa). Nothing worked. Before Celexa I was on Lexapro, which is supposedly the newer, more 'refined' version of Celexa, and felt horrible. About 6 months ago, I decided to switch over to Celexa and have never felt better. I felt a difference right away (within a day or two). I am finally back to my happy, bubbly, chatty self. Other SSRIs that cut my anxiety made me feel 'flat'. Not Celexa. On Celexa I'm still able to feel my emotions-I can laugh and cry (when appropriate)-without feeling overwhelmed by them. I take it in the morning and have so much energy all day. I highly recommend this medication.

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by smmy77 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been prescribed 10 mg and so far have felt ok. I don't feel overly hungry but really thirsty. This is day 4 and I am sleeping really well. This is a first for me I have always dealt with my anxiety on my own without any meds. This time it was so bad I had no choice. I feel relaxed and much more positive about each day.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2013 10:08 AM

Review by guest01 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I started taking Celexa because I told my doctor my mood swings were crazy. It was depression. Well it helped big time! I've been on it for over a year 10mg but sometimes I take 20mg. I am starting to feel more sad now though but its my living situation that is making me sad. Celexa is a great medicine although I never thought I would take anti-depressants. Anyhow I was super skinny, it helped me gain weight and keep it on. So yes you will gain weight on it but other then that it has worked for me until now. Now I don't feel happy but I did when I started taking it.

October 12, 2013 3:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking Celexa for 5 years and it is the best thing ever. I lost my business and marriage to anxiety and anger issues. For 2 years after I blamed everyone but myself, then started Celexa and have been a much better and much more successful person. I have noticed two side effects my appetite changes causing my weight to vary in the 5 to 10 pound range and sex has never been better. I do not crave it as much but when I do it much better. It lasts longer and has a bigger effect.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2013 5:14 PM

Review by jussynicole (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: Celexa is very effective in my opinion. I have tried Lexapro and Paxil which made me horribly sick. I have had a few side effects since I am just starting it, but they are not that bad. I can tell they are there but I'm not stopped by them. The only effect I don't like is the sexual problems. They aren't kidding about it. Started affecting me on day 1. Getting better is worth it though. Please give it a try, even if you're nervous!

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2013 10:08 PM

Review by Susieqsdogs:

For Depression: My doctor put me on this medicine for depression. I have known for quite a while I was depressed but I never told anyone. I feel better already. Took my first dose today. It works quickly. I am not crying all day, not worrying all day and I feel better TODAY. This is not in my mind. It really does work. I imagine within a week I will notice a really big difference. Depression had caused me not to want to do anything at all. Going to work was even almost impossible. Now I found some help.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2013 6:07 PM

Review by Sharon Lawton from Ireland (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: Been on this tablet about a month now. Even though my doctor said it won't take effect till about 6 weeks, it practically worked for me after a day because my nervous system would be very sensitive to any tablets. I'm on this tablet about a month now and to be honest it has taken away the majority of my anxiety, and panic attacks which I used to get severely. I still get flutters in my heart and rapid heart beat sometimes but nothing I can't handle. My dreams are really weird sometimes like really strange but that's to be expected I suppose. Took 20mg forgetting was supposed to take 10mg, was way too strong for me so on 10mg now, can function with that.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2013 6:27 AM

Review by birdy487:

For Depression: I have been taking this medication for years. At first it was great it helped me a lot with my temper and sad feelings. I have had some ups and downs with it. At one time I was taking 2.5 pills and was having trouble remembering things, and extreme trouble driving due to drowsiness. I cut back to one and tried to go off them but my moods started to swing out of control. Now I am on one and half tabs, and am feeling depressed again. My eyes are watery and I feel like crying a lot but that may be due to the fall coming on.

September 5, 2013 9:30 PM

Review by 746b ( no one calls me that):

For Depression: I am 14 years old and I started taking Celexa a few weeks ago for depression and I took it a couple years back for anxiety. It has worked good I have been feeling depressed since the third grade and have been having uncontrolled regretful thoughts for a while. This works and I am feeling better. It gave me such a weird feeling which I think is happiness but anyway it's new thanks to this medication.

August 30, 2013 6:40 PM

Review by Feeling a little better (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: The depression, feelings of worthlessness, suicidal thoughts and chronic anger have all eased somewhat since I started taking Celexa (10mg). I've been on it for about two months and have noticed a marked difference. Sleeping okay after insomnia at first. No decrease in sex drive (male), but definite decrease in ability. Hoping that doesn't last. Although some days I feel like my old self, mostly I feel better. Life has become more clear to me, my relationship with my wife appears to be improving, and this has allowed me to begin forgiving myself. Long road ahead. I wish you all the best.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2013 6:01 PM

Review by wil.yumm:

For Depression: Little groggy when I take it at night, but that's all I noticed.

August 13, 2013 6:52 PM

Review by MollyCey:

For Depression: Had severe postpartum depression after my oldest was born. I thought that my experience was "normal" and due to the daily fatigue that new parents experience. Halfway through my second pregnancy I spoke with my OB about the crying/anxiety and sadness I experienced after her birth and she decided to put me on 10 mg Celexa; what a God send! With my husband deployed and a scary pregnancy this was exactly what I needed to cope and prepare with the new changes. I didn't feel so hopeless after he was born and the overwhelming feeling that had plagued me before was gone. I now take 20 mg to deal with my SADD and hectic job working in a Level 1 Trauma ER and it does the trick. I love Celexa and owe my positive parenting and job to the company. Thank you.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2013 8:33 PM

Review by SDS#2:

For Anxiety and Stress: Severe panic attacks, couldn't drive much, never on freeways, bridges, etc. I can do it now after so many years of being unable to and even housebound for a while.

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 1:38 AM

Review by Jose d (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I feel better. But I feel that I can't focus. As well my left side of my face is tingling. I going to stop and call my doctor. This is not the first I taking this medication and never had this side effect.

July 27, 2013 8:44 PM

Review by Happy:) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I would say I have seen a complete turn around in my depression. I use 40mg of Celexa and Xanax proscribed three times a day if needed. I usually take two Xanax before bed to fall asleep. I've been on it a year and can say its been a a blessing. Didn't start that way! I chose to stick through some of the side effects and gradually increased my dosage. From 10, 20, 30 now 40 mg which I take every morning. Now I feel the balance. When in need, I spoke with my Doctor to increase if I was not feeling to my full potential of the medicines. Still working on my anxiety around people! Doing better from where I started. GOOD LUCK ALL!

July 27, 2013 12:29 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I was suffering from extreme panic disorder, could barely leave the house, didn't think I would ever feel like myself again. I was put on Celexa and within a few weeks I started doing things that I thought I would never do again. I didn't think I would be able to go to college but with the help of Celexa I went off to college and felt like myself again after a few months. It was still a struggle at first, don't get me wrong, it is not magic, but it makes the panic manageable. I would definitely recommend the combination of this and CBT.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2013 3:32 PM

Review by braziej (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I have found my stress tolerance threshold has dramatically increased since starting Celexa. Anxiety is better but not much.

July 25, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by celexa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Positive mood changes after using for several weeks. However, on this medication sex drive is practically non-existent for me (Male).

July 24, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by ldd513:

For Depression: 25yr. Female. I started taking 10mg of Celexa after experiencing severe depression. I was having harmful thoughts, insomnia and anxiety in all aspects of life. I finally succumbed to the fact, I needed to take medication because therapy, exercise, positive thoughts and other outlets were not working. The first few weeks sucked. I had severe insomnia, couldn't eat and felt ramped up and clenched my teeth when I did sleep. I never had the zombie experience though. But a few weeks later, the world seemed more clear & happy. Celexa did nothing for my anxiety, I had to add Klonopin, but it worked for my mood swings and depression. I would go on it again if I had to. Just remember everyone has different brain chemistry.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2013 6:39 PM

Review by sec1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I had terrible side effects from taking Tamoxifen. I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, could not sleep due to hot flashes, cried all the time, often just felt like I had the flu. My oncologist suggested I try citalopram. My world is wonderful! I feel better than I ever have. Not only did it help tremendously with the side effects of Tamoxifen, but it has also taken care of anxiety and depression that I had been living with, but never did anything about it. I have no side effects from the citalopram, except weight gain. I am working on that, though. All my family and friends are amazed at the difference in me. I have been taking 20mg for over a year.

July 9, 2013 7:23 AM

Review by Julz82:

For Anxiety and Stress: Just started Celexa, and already I noticed the more feeling of calm, and calm is not something I think I've ever been, I get angered easy, upset, cry, feel overwhelmed, hopeless, feel better off dead, mood always up and down because of how many losses I have had in my life, feeling like a failure, you name it, I really hope this helps me long term. I've noticed a difference already and am optimistic.

203 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2013 12:46 PM