User Reviews for Luvox

5.3
Summary of Luvox reviews 33 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Luvox

Review by Carmacreator:

For Anxiety and Stress: I am on this again for the second time, my main issue is that I find it makes me tired all the time and it's hard to concentrate for university. I just want to sleep. My doctor did say he chooses the more sedative ones to start with because they usually have less adverse reactions. Other than being tired, it did reduce my depression and anxiety a fair bit, but most of all reduced my suicidal thoughts a great amount.

May 22, 2014 6:58 AM

Review by whitepointer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: Starting taking Luvox after I told my doctor that Effexor which is very effective and a lifesaver for me was a bit of a libido killer. Said to try Luvox. I had a bad reaction even after tapering off Effexor properly. I had very bad headaches which codeine couldn't shift and diarrhea, also stomach cramps and bad nausea. Not for me obviously, so am starting back on the Effexor which keeps me sane.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 10:10 PM

Review by Mom of odd child (taken for less than 1 month):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Wow finally a conversation with my son that is NOT fishing. 17 yr old son was dropped on his head when he was born by a nurse. He has seen the same neuro since being a baby. We've tried everything. Cocktails of medicines, seizure meds, etc. Nothing helped. It got so bad I was placed on medication for my nerves. His neurologist suggested we try Luvox. I am sitting next to my son, who is playing a game. Calm yet very alert not dragging like other meds did to him. He is able to hold conversations about so many topics and that is a relief even to him.

April 5, 2014 10:13 AM

Review by Lemon 14:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was prescribed Luvox for anxiety and panic attacks. Initially Luvox just made me tired. After about 2 weeks it started making me feel depressive. Continued taking it for about 2 months, the depressive symptoms only got worse. I had to discontinue medication because it caused depression for me. Did not help for anxiety or panic at all. When tapering off I suffered severe nausea and headaches. Didn't work and has bad side effects.

March 30, 2014 1:00 PM

Review by indie_annika:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: So far this is the best medication I've been on for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have obsessive thoughts and ruminating as my compulsion and it was totally debilitating before. I was on mirtazapine for a while but felt emotionless and still had a lot of OCD-"crashes". Switched to Fluvox because mirtazapine made me gain a lot of weight. Finally losing weight now and have a normal appetite again! Obliterates obsessive thoughts and makes me feel really happy, plus I have all my strong emotions back, feeling more "me" again. Frustrating side effect in insomnia (most nights I wake up 2-3 times for 30 mins at least and sleep very restlessly) but the headaches and nausea have both passed, so hopefully this will also pass.

March 17, 2014 4:59 AM

Review by slowdive86 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: Was prescribed for anxiety/obsessive thoughts. Couldn't make it to max therapeutic dose -- at 200mg the medication caused me to lose my voice for over 2 months. As soon as the medication was stopped, my voice came back.

February 19, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by Elisse (taken for 10 years or more):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: 15 years ago after suffering with severe panic attacks I found a doctor who found the root of my troubles was my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was on Luvox, brand name only because when I tried the generics they did NOT work? During the time it was off market, I suffered terribly until it came back. It keeps my OCD in check to the best it can be BRAND name only, I do not know why.

February 16, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by jblt83 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: My psychiatrist prescribed me Luvox 100mg that I've been on for close to 2 months to help me deal with symptoms of stress and social anxiety. I would say the medication works but the side effects aren't worth me continuing it so I'm going to see about something else that is proven to have less side effects. Some of the side effects I was experiencing were difficulty staying asleep and waking up with night sweats, dry mouth, and sore throat. I think Zoloft worked better for me.

December 21, 2013 10:39 AM

Review by zydecmolly (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been on Luvox for just over a year. I have realized that if I miss a dose or two which I have done at times my symptoms return (racing thoughts, self harm,..awful). It usually takes a week or so to get back on track with taking my medicine on a regular basis again. I love the medicine, but I have noticed I cannot miss a dose or else my steady state will get messed up and it takes time to get back to normal.

October 7, 2013 3:08 PM

Review by mickeycm:

For Anxiety and Stress: A year ago I was prescribed Luvox in a psych ward where they took me off Prozac. I felt really okay! I had a follow up visit 2 weeks later with my psychiatrist of 30 years. He immediately took me off it saying in no way was Luvox right for me. He put me on Parnate. After one week I felt like I had been poisoned. He then told me to to go back to Prozac. Time for a new doctor, my new doctor put me back on Luvox. Now, at 4 months, I feel really well for the first time in many, many years. I rated this an 8 because 10 means perfection to me and there is no such thing as that with any medicine.

August 26, 2013 12:03 AM

Review by Ausdude:

For Anxiety and Stress: An excellent medicine for me for controlling thoughts and anxiety. I use 50mg at 8pm. I can't describe what a difference it has made to my life. I'm happy to take it for the rest of my life. I tried going without it for about a year because I was feeling good, but I will never do that again because of how horrible it was without it. When I've gone on Luvox, I feel the effect almost overnight. It is really important that you take it at the same time every day and that you follow a good sleeping schedule and not go to bed very late (i.e. after 11pm) for best results. There is only one downside for me and that is more difficult to reach orgasm and libido is reduced. If it was not for this I would give it a 10.

August 2, 2013 12:46 AM

Review by 0osweet (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I took it for over a year for depression and mood swings, but it didn't help me much. The mood swings were a little less, but I felt very empty and like a zombie. No happy feelings and I still felt depressed/empty. I felt much better when I stopped taking them. I did have withdrawal symptoms, I was extremely emotional the weeks after stopping. But after those I felt happier, less depressed.

July 27, 2013 4:17 PM

Review by raheelly77 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been attempting to use Luvox for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I have a weak stomach so I haven't made it off the 25mg yet until my body adjusts. I could tell that I was getting better though. I stopped it for a week and my compulsions came back worse than before. I've read some people think they don't have OCD because they don't have compulsions, compulsions are not needed for the diagnosis just obsessions. I am a social worker so it has been difficult to help others with their mental illness when I suffer from OCD and ADHD which I didn't start medication for until recently (I am 28). I am hoping my picking will go away completely once I adjust to the medicine.

July 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by lisa726:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I was prescribed Luvox for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder even though I don't think I have OCD. I think I have anxiety and panic disorder/depression. I have excessive worrying, panic attacks, sleeping problems, ruminations but no compulsions I can think of. However my psychiatrist says I have OCD and put me on Luvox. Immediately my sleep improved and my excessive worrying has been reduced by about 50%. I am so much more relaxed. However I don't seem to really care about anything and its hard to get out of bed and do much even on a low dose (25mg). I feel like I am in slow motion and I'm always tired. My body also feels like I have weights attached to it. I see a new psychiatrist in two weeks.

July 3, 2013 4:50 AM

Review by Mr. W:

For Anxiety and Stress: I started on 50mg daytime and 50mg at night. Had upset stomach with vomiting for a few days then that subsided. Eventually my dosage was increased to 100mg during the day and 100 mg at night. I had some life changing events occur and I was able to accept them and keep on track with life's daily trials and tribulations. It just helps keep your thoughts clear so that you can deal with life's challenges. The biggest side effect was that I wanted to sleep all the time. I decreased the dosage back down to 100 mg but I only take it once a day at 5:00pm. It wears off enough by 7:00am. Then I have motivation to do things throughout the day yet still remain somewhat calm and focused.

June 13, 2013 9:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder last year and tried Anafranil first but couldn't handle the side effects. My doctor started me on Luvox a little over and month ago and I finally feel like I'm getting my life together. I see my counselor every 2 weeks now instead of once a week and my obsessive thoughts are finally under control. I can enjoy books again and I've been feeling a lot more social. At first I had trouble sleeping; I was waking up every night around 4 AM but that has almost stopped completely now. I was worried about weight gain but I've actually lost weight due to my diminished appetite since starting the medication.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2013 12:28 PM

Review by lisa678 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I suffered from anxiety, excessive worrying and ruminating to the point where it was obsessive and led to a bad depression. I have been this way off and on ever since I can remember. I have been referred to as a worry wort and possibly obsessive compulsive. I tried Zoloft and Lexapro. Both helped with my depression symptoms however neither helped my anxiety at all and both killed my appetite and sex drive. I also tried Xanax occasionally and Buspar. However although these relieved my anxiety they made my depression worse. It was a catch 22. Finally doc put me on a low dose (25mg) of Luvox. What a relief! I have not noticed any side effects other than drowsiness at times. This medicine has worked well so far even in a low dose two months now.

February 8, 2013 4:28 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: The day that I'm writing this review, I was switched to Prozac by my doctor. Luvox for around 8 months worked wonders for my OCD. I was basically symptom free during that time with very little anxiety and worry. After the 8-month mark, it slowly started losing its effectiveness. My doctor bumped it from 150mg to 200mg, but that made everything worse. I wasn't falling asleep until 7am, I had no energy during the day, and my OCD symptoms were basically completely back. I was also on Zoloft for around a year, and the same thing happened there. Everybody is different, though. If you have OCD and haven't tried Luvox, give it a try. When everything was going well, I still experienced sexual side effects like low libido and delayed ejaculation.

February 2, 2013 1:26 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Truly a life saver for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. My racing thoughts and compulsions have disappeared. I am on 300/mg. I tried Paxil before - Luvox is much better for OCD. Some minor symptoms such as apathy and fatigue.

December 18, 2012 11:28 PM

Review by rvrvr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: After trying Zoloft and Lexapro, without any success and made my symptoms worse. Luvox helped me getting my life back, the best medicine. I feel MUCH more in control of my OCD. Excellent.. even when I feel sleepy sometimes as a side effect.. its worth it!

September 13, 2012 6:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Luvox is an amazing medication for me. I couldn't think my own thoughts, all I had were racing, intrusive and obsessive thoughts. My compulsions were out of control too due to inability to control my thoughts. I was off of the med for 3 years and was in a bad way, constant suicidal ideations. I felt like myself again after the first dose, I can control unwanted thoughts and think of things I want or need to and can solve issues. I can usually control my compulsions now. I couldn't socialize either and now I can. 100 mg at night with 15 mg of Buspar. I am so grateful for this medication!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2012 11:08 PM

Review by Joeyh193 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

It has helped me a lot but now I think it's time for a review because the side effects are to many, weight gain, sweating and insomnia.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2012 9:03 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I was put on Luvox for anxiety and depression. I had never had anxiety before so this was the first medicine I had tried. After 4 weeks it gave me very bad anxiety and intense "racing thoughts". I was only on 25mg and then upped to 50mg. Once I got off, I learnt better ways to cope, by seeing therapists and working on my problems. Not the medicine for me.

May 31, 2012 5:54 PM

Review by Suewho:

For Anxiety and Stress: I tend to go on and off it when I am well. I hate the sexual side effects but it works almost immediately for me. I get headaches and trouble sleeping but when it works I feel so normal it is priceless and worth the grief.

April 15, 2012 10:31 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Luvox did help with my depression and anxiety symptoms but it had an extreme sedative effect on me. Unfortunately my doctor did not realize my extreme fatigue was caused by this medicine and I spent money on sleep studies, blood tests and various medications trying to figure out why I was so tired. I could get through my work day but I would crash. I was sleeping 4 hours after work, getting up to make dinner and then returning to bed. I was so frustrated, feeling like I was missing out on life. I wasn't depressed because of chemical imbalance, but because I felt like I didn't have a life. I saw a different doctor and as soon as he took me off Luvox, my energy returned. Definitely not the right medicine for me.

December 6, 2011 10:48 PM