User Reviews for Luvox

Learn more about Luvox.

Luvox review summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Luvox to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by Carmacreator:

I am on this again for the second time, my main issue is that I find it makes me tired all the time and it's hard to concentrate for university. I just want to sleep. My doctor did say he chooses the more sedative ones to start with because they usually have less adverse reactions. Other than being tired, it did reduce my depression and anxiety a fair bit, but most of all reduced my suicidal thoughts a great amount.

May 22, 2014 6:58 AM

Review by whitepointer (taken for less than 1 month):

Starting taking Luvox after I told my doctor that Effexor which is very effective and a lifesaver for me was a bit of a libido killer. Said to try Luvox. I had a bad reaction even after tapering off Effexor properly. I had very bad headaches which codeine couldn't shift and diarrhea, also stomach cramps and bad nausea. Not for me obviously, so am starting back on the Effexor which keeps me sane.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 10:10 PM

Review by Lemon 14:

I was prescribed Luvox for anxiety and panic attacks. Initially Luvox just made me tired. After about 2 weeks it started making me feel depressive. Continued taking it for about 2 months, the depressive symptoms only got worse. I had to discontinue medication because it caused depression for me. Did not help for anxiety or panic at all. When tapering off I suffered severe nausea and headaches. Didn't work and has bad side effects.

March 30, 2014 1:00 PM

Review by slowdive86 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Was prescribed for anxiety/obsessive thoughts. Couldn't make it to max therapeutic dose -- at 200mg the medication caused me to lose my voice for over 2 months. As soon as the medication was stopped, my voice came back.

February 19, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by jblt83 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My psychiatrist prescribed me Luvox 100mg that I've been on for close to 2 months to help me deal with symptoms of stress and social anxiety. I would say the medication works but the side effects aren't worth me continuing it so I'm going to see about something else that is proven to have less side effects. Some of the side effects I was experiencing were difficulty staying asleep and waking up with night sweats, dry mouth, and sore throat. I think Zoloft worked better for me.

December 21, 2013 10:39 AM

Review by mickeycm:

A year ago I was prescribed Luvox in a psych ward where they took me off Prozac. I felt really okay! I had a follow up visit 2 weeks later with my psychiatrist of 30 years. He immediately took me off it saying in no way was Luvox right for me. He put me on Parnate. After one week I felt like I had been poisoned. He then told me to to go back to Prozac. Time for a new doctor, my new doctor put me back on Luvox. Now, at 4 months, I feel really well for the first time in many, many years. I rated this an 8 because 10 means perfection to me and there is no such thing as that with any medicine.

August 26, 2013 12:03 AM

Review by Ausdude:

An excellent medicine for me for controlling thoughts and anxiety. I use 50mg at 8pm. I can't describe what a difference it has made to my life. I'm happy to take it for the rest of my life. I tried going without it for about a year because I was feeling good, but I will never do that again because of how horrible it was without it. When I've gone on Luvox, I feel the effect almost overnight. It is really important that you take it at the same time every day and that you follow a good sleeping schedule and not go to bed very late (i.e. after 11pm) for best results. There is only one downside for me and that is more difficult to reach orgasm and libido is reduced. If it was not for this I would give it a 10.

August 2, 2013 12:46 AM

Review by 0osweet (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I took it for over a year for depression and mood swings, but it didn't help me much. The mood swings were a little less, but I felt very empty and like a zombie. No happy feelings and I still felt depressed/empty. I felt much better when I stopped taking them. I did have withdrawal symptoms, I was extremely emotional the weeks after stopping. But after those I felt happier, less depressed.

July 27, 2013 4:17 PM

Review by Mr. W:

I started on 50mg daytime and 50mg at night. Had upset stomach with vomiting for a few days then that subsided. Eventually my dosage was increased to 100mg during the day and 100 mg at night. I had some life changing events occur and I was able to accept them and keep on track with life's daily trials and tribulations. It just helps keep your thoughts clear so that you can deal with life's challenges. The biggest side effect was that I wanted to sleep all the time. I decreased the dosage back down to 100 mg but I only take it once a day at 5:00pm. It wears off enough by 7:00am. Then I have motivation to do things throughout the day yet still remain somewhat calm and focused.

June 13, 2013 9:24 PM

Review by lisa678 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffered from anxiety, excessive worrying and ruminating to the point where it was obsessive and led to a bad depression. I have been this way off and on ever since I can remember. I have been referred to as a worry wort and possibly obsessive compulsive. I tried Zoloft and Lexapro. Both helped with my depression symptoms however neither helped my anxiety at all and both killed my appetite and sex drive. I also tried Xanax occasionally and Buspar. However although these relieved my anxiety they made my depression worse. It was a catch 22. Finally doc put me on a low dose (25mg) of Luvox. What a relief! I have not noticed any side effects other than drowsiness at times. This medicine has worked well so far even in a low dose two months now.

February 8, 2013 4:28 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was put on Luvox for anxiety and depression. I had never had anxiety before so this was the first medicine I had tried. After 4 weeks it gave me very bad anxiety and intense "racing thoughts". I was only on 25mg and then upped to 50mg. Once I got off, I learnt better ways to cope, by seeing therapists and working on my problems. Not the medicine for me.

May 31, 2012 5:54 PM

Review by Suewho:

I tend to go on and off it when I am well. I hate the sexual side effects but it works almost immediately for me. I get headaches and trouble sleeping but when it works I feel so normal it is priceless and worth the grief.

April 15, 2012 10:31 PM

Luvox did help with my depression and anxiety symptoms but it had an extreme sedative effect on me. Unfortunately my doctor did not realize my extreme fatigue was caused by this medicine and I spent money on sleep studies, blood tests and various medications trying to figure out why I was so tired. I could get through my work day but I would crash. I was sleeping 4 hours after work, getting up to make dinner and then returning to bed. I was so frustrated, feeling like I was missing out on life. I wasn't depressed because of chemical imbalance, but because I felt like I didn't have a life. I saw a different doctor and as soon as he took me off Luvox, my energy returned. Definitely not the right medicine for me.

December 6, 2011 10:48 PM

I was prescribed Luvox for social anxiety. I was told to take it at night before bed. After the first night of taking it, I woke up feeling pretty sedated and feeling weird. I also had nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

June 23, 2010 8:36 AM

Tell your doctor if this medicine makes you excessively thirsty. I took it for a month and it depleted my sodium. I was so thirsty all I did was drink water.

June 10, 2009 7:12 AM